• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming Thread February 2013: Where some have halitosis so packs of gum matters

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yuripaw

Banned
I just picked up my first iPad today. It's an iPad 2nd gen, and I'm just loving owning it so far. I'm really feeling overwhelmed with how much stuff is on the App store though.

I've already downloaded Infinity Blade, which does seem look a really cool game, and is visually really impressive.

Downloaded the free version of Theatrhythm. Already played a bunch of this game on the 3DS, but I really like having it on the larger screen. Might get some song packs in the future.

I really could use some input on what else is good on the App store for a gamer like me. I like RPGs obviously, and I did see that games like Final Fantasy IV, and The World Ends with You is on there, but the Square-Enix tax is a little hard to swallow. I'm looking to spend some money on the app store just to get some games, but I really could use some advice about what is some of the most fun, and worthy for an avid gamer like me.

I just picked up my first iPad today. It's an iPad 2nd gen, and I'm just loving owning it so far. I'm really feeling overwhelmed with how much stuff is on the App store though.

I've already downloaded Infinity Blade, which does seem look a really cool game, and is visually really impressive.

Downloaded the free version of Theatrhythm. Already played a bunch of this game on the 3DS, but I really like having it on the larger screen. Might get some song packs in the future.

I really could use some input on what else is good on the App store for a gamer like me. I like RPGs obviously, and I did see that games like Final Fantasy IV, and The World Ends with You is on there, but the Square-Enix tax is a little hard to swallow. I'm looking to spend some money on the app store just to get some games, but I really could use some advice about what is some of the most fun, and worthy for an avid gamer like me.

If only a thread existed with a post right up front to answer this often asked question...

Get Cook, Serve, Delicious!

Flunkie

Banned
Goddammit EA seriously. Playing RR3 now makes me want to buy this fucking game for $10 or more because it's oozing quality, but you fuckers just ruined what would have been a good game. Fuck even "delivering" the cars. FFS. The very first car you buy you have to wait two minutes or use your virtual currency.

Runs like ass on iPad 3 though.

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Goddammit EA seriously. Playing RR3 now makes me want to buy this fucking game for $10 or more because it's oozing quality, but you fuckers just ruined what would have been a good game. Fuck even "delivering" the cars. FFS. The very first car you buy you have to wait two minutes or use your virtual currency.

Runs like ass on iPad 3 though.

Runs like ass on iPod 5th gen too. I can't play games that can't even hold 30 fps.

Shaneus

Runs like ass on iPod 5th gen too. I can't play games that can't even hold 30 fps.
And 4S as well. The only way I could get it to run well (and admittedly, run quite well) was to fiddle with it so the 4 graphics settings would be loaded on my 4S.

You'd think companies like Firemintmonkey would know this sort of shit by now. Hell, it's not like it's NOT obvious to test that sort of thing. Unless they really thought "I wonder if those 4S owners would accept the fact that the game runs at a framerate that's in the single digits?".

PFD

Check the OP, and if you're looking for RPGs you might enjoy knights of pen & paper, Cthulhu saved the world, Avadon, Baldur's Gate, Chaos Rings 2. Depends on what type of RPG you're into really.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
RR3 runs beautifully on iPhone 5 at least - if its not 60 FPS it's over 30 at least, no hiccups at all on my device, except for when getting emails in the middle of races!

Added Diablohead and chick to GC.

This game is as awesome as it is sad, fantastic game with high production values mired by this business model. They really need to add an IAP that at least kills servicing timers. Upgrade timers and repairs I can handle since they're a choice done by me via driving performance and the want to improve my car (and they aren't that long) but servicing shit every so often is lame. Repairs + services = car out of commission for hours.

I still keep playing though, the problem is lessened once you have a number of cars.

Oh and @Flunkie, I would use iFunbox to backup your save game before swapping from the NZ version to the US once released. I have a feeling progression is solely on the device and will otherwise be lost when changing over.

bedlamite

RR3 running well on an iPad Mini here.

Truly a mind-boggling level of IAPs in this game, I've only done one race but having to wait 2 minutes just for the delivery of the bloody first car is not a good start, not at all.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Did they fix the resolution on FFIV for iPhone 5's, or does it still have those tacky borders on the sides?

Minsc

Gold Member
Did they fix the resolution on FFIV for iPhone 5's, or does it still have those tacky borders on the sides?

You can choose to have it stretched to fill the full area if you don't like the borders, but the only update there's been was pretty recently had something to do with a sound bug in the game causing it to crash or something.

rrs

Been out for a while, but Re-Volt is as fun as it always been. Think of a mix of the Dreamcast version with the enhanced engine from the PC version. Controls are a bit buggy though, and the default control mode will not make for a fun time on later levels.

Shaneus

Pinball Arcade update is out! Cloud save backup is finally working! Backup your save from one device, restore on another! It works, I've tested it! (Yes, I'm a little over-enthusiastic about this feature... not only because it's there, but because it actually works as it should)

Also, Firepower and Dr. Dude are available. Dr. Dude is a lot of fun and Firepower.... probably the best feeling/playing table in their collection. It's amazing.

Didn't someone here mod a file to use lower quality assets to run better on older devices?
I mucked around with it so it used the 4 assets on 4S, but I think I may have been lucky given the 4 has the same screen as the 4S, so there's no scaling issue. I'm not sure of the screen specs on the iPod Touch models (no idea on what screen the 5 even has, TBH) but I did post some instructions on either the last page or the one before on how to do it and it made a world of difference.

Until I deleted it completely.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
You don't have to wait for delivery of the first car in RR3. You're given 20 gold coins for free for DLing the app. Car delivery just takes one coin. Just hit the button. Why save the currency?

You only wait if you choose to wait.

Shaneus

You don't have to wait for delivery of the first car in RR3. You're given 20 gold coins for free for DLing the app. Car delivery just takes one coin. Just hit the button. Why save the currency?

You only wait if you choose to wait.
Well, for that you actually couldn't... at least, as far as I could tell. My theory was that there'd be something that's worth 20 of those coin things and only having 19, I'd have to shell out money. Got the popup after 1m45 or whatever, but when I went in it hadn't counted down at all.

It's a very minor issue, but I still took offense to it and saw it as a sign that the rest of the game would be as equally as stiff with in-game currency.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Well, for that you actually couldn't... at least, as far as I could tell. My theory was that there'd be something that's worth 20 of those coin things and only having 19, I'd have to shell out money. Got the popup after 1m45 or whatever, but when I went in it hadn't counted down at all.

It's a very minor issue, but I still took offense to it and saw it as a sign that the rest of the game would be as equally as stiff with in-game currency.

You're given more gold coins at regular intervals. 3-5 every level-up, and more each time you complete 25/50/75/100% of a collection of events. I've earned well over a hundred through normal play, I'd estimate. Maybe closer to 200.

They are spent on skipping wait timers, the final upgrade or two for some cars, and a few cars are only for sale for coins. That's it.

Your assumption that the hammer would drop and some 20-coin item would soon pop up is incorrect.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
You're given more gold coins at regular intervals. 3-5 every level-up, and more each time you complete 25/50/75/100% of a collection of events. I've earned well over a hundred through normal play, I'd estimate. Maybe closer to 200.

They are spent on skipping wait timers, the final upgrade or two for some cars, and a few cars are only for sale for coins. That's it.

Your assumption that the hammer would drop and some 20-coin item would soon pop up is incorrect.

They're also the sole currency used for car resprays (some of which cost 10+ coins), but that's just cosmetics that can be ignored.

In it's current state RR3 is perfectly playable without spending a dime, which worries me because EA are not going to like that.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
In it's current state RR3 is perfectly playable without spending a dime, which worries me because EA are not going to like that.

I think you're underestimating the power of whales, but we'll see I suppose.

I like the game, and I play it like Justin says, by skipping timers with coins I've earned. So far I've earned more than I need to use.

I am taking a break from work and streaming iphone 5 airplay footage on www.twitch.tv/DiabUK if anyone is interested, will likely play for an hour or so, maybe some other iOS games too while I test airplay streaming more.

I will say this, they improved airplay with RR3, the image is not as compressed and the game runs rather smooth on the device while streaming.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I am taking a break from work and streaming iphone 5 airplay footage on www.twitch.tv/DiabUK if anyone is interested, will likely play for an hour or so, maybe some other iOS games too while I test airplay streaming more.

I will say this, they improved airplay with RR3, the image is not as compressed and the game runs rather smooth on the device while streaming.

That's iPhone 5 streaming (looks like iPad aspect ratio)? Noticing an amount of pop-in that isn't there while I'm playing those same levels on my phone.

That's iPhone 5 streaming (looks like iPad aspect ratio)? Noticing an amount of pop-in that isn't there while I'm playing those same levels on my phone.

Yeah that's iphone 5 ratio on my tv, there is a lilttle black frame around the entire image but otherwise it's exact.

The game has that kind of pop in on my iphone screen too here. I want to get a HDMI adaptor for my 5 (I own one for my ipad 3) but it's freaking £40, lol.

My ipad 3 runs this game worse then this airplay quality is at.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Yeah that's iphone 5 ratio on my tv, there is a lilttle black frame around the entire image but otherwise it's exact.

The game has that kind of pop in on my iphone screen too here. I want to get a HDMI adaptor for my 5 (I own one for my ipad 3) but it's freaking £40, lol.

My ipad 3 runs this game worse then this airplay quality is at.

Ok yeah, the video wasn't using the proper aspect ratio unless I used the pop-out window, then it 're-sized' to proper 16:9 ratio.

Weird about the pop-in, cars do not have the same level of LOD swapping as seen in the steam while I'm playing.

Edit: It does in cockpit view, hah ok. :) I usually play in hood view. That explains it.

Also, I hate Cup events, near impossible to get anywhere above placement 8th-10th unless you have a fully upgraded car. Plus your car is totally demolished and in need of a 1.5hour servicing/repair after them..

I am fine with cups most of the time, it's the enduro's which seem broken to me, you can easily go 14 laps on some tracks which makes first place a good 15+ minute race.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
iborjregUnJQZI.jpg

The greatest racing motivator.

What cam are y'all mainly using in rr3?

I've been mostly using the 3rd person one, not a fan with how it zooms out when you go fast though.

All 3 games I have used the cockpit, I can somehow feel the grip level in turns better but that might be because I am used to that view, the bonnet cam is nice for a change but I end up braking late into corners because of how high the camera is.

In drag races I use 3rd person because the cars look purdy, and I love the way the camera starts next to the car and then moves behind while the lights count down.

I've been mostly playing 3rd person because you kinda need to realize someone is out for your ass.

The rear cam button is really weirdly placed and is quite hard to reach. And is it just me or sometimes the accelerator just doesn't work? Like I notice speed drop and realize that somehow I'm not flooring it and have to retap.

Flunkie

Banned
Wish iCloud worked for RR3..

Also is it worth upgrading the engine or should I just be saving up for new cars?

Using 3rd person as well.

Wish iCloud worked for RR3..

Also is it worth upgrading the engine or should I just be saving up for new cars?

Using 3rd person as well.

Usually the 4th car in each class on the right is the best overall but costs more, it's a shitty balance because you can just buy that car and ignore the other 3.

I find tuning grip and accel the best to go for if you do need an edge.

> Installs Infinity Blade.

Achievement: Win 100 Online Matches as Titan.
Achievement: Win 100 Online Matches as Warrior.

> Deletes Infinity Blade.

kodt

Banned
Playing iOS games for achievements = doing it wrong

I agree. In fact I think you shouldn't even look at the achievements for any game until after you have already beat it once (on normal or whatever a normal run through is).

Then if the game still interests you, take a look at the achievements and that can give you extra replay value.

Buying/playing games just for your "gamerscore" is silly.

I stopped caring about achievements when i realized more often then not the shit doesn't even register due to GC being shitty, or the devs being shitty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom