• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

Banglish

I currently have my jailbroken 3gs on 5.0.1 and I want to update it to 6. Someone recommended p0sixspwn. I have no idea how to go about this though. I can't remember if it was a tehethered or untethered jailbreak. Do I update my phone to ios 6 then jailbreak it using p0sixspwn? Can someone point me in the right direction please.

iLLmAtlc

I currently have my jailbroken 3gs on 5.0.1 and I want to update it to 6. Someone recommended p0sixspwn. I have no idea how to go about this though. I can't remember if it was a tehethered or untethered jailbreak. Do I update my phone to ios 6 then jailbreak it using p0sixspwn? Can someone point me in the right direction please.

You have to begin by upgrading to iOS 6.1.3. Since you are jailbroken the procedure is typically to Restore instead of Update. Then once you are on 6.1.3, download p0sixspwn and jailbreak. Make sure to backup your phone with iTunes before beginning the process.

Also, are you using ultrasn0w to unlock your phone? If you are it's best to do something called preserve baseband.

Would you ever want to downgrade back to iOS 5? If you are interested you should also do something called save your SHSH blobs.

The jailbreak itself is very easy:

http://www.redmondpie.com/download-p0sixspwn-1.0.3-for-windows-jailbreak-tool/

As you can see it's just plug your phone in and hit jailbreak once you're on iOS 6.1.3.

Shaneus

So this may or may not be of interest to people here, but first thing that frustrated me about iOS7 was the goddamned annoying task switcher. Thankfully, it looks like someone has come to the rescue: ClassicSwitcher

I'll be buying it ($!) and installing it post-haste, because what iOS does now is annoying as hell.

iLLmAtlc

So this may or may not be of interest to people here, but first thing that frustrated me about iOS7 was the goddamned annoying task switcher. Thankfully, it looks like someone has come to the rescue: ClassicSwitcher

I'll be buying it ($!) and installing it post-haste, because what iOS does now is annoying as hell.

man i love the new application switcher.

what do you hate about it?

Shaneus

More finger movement needed for closing apps. With the new one I have to double-click then swipe up the screen for every app I want to close. With the old one, I just hold it then I only need to tap the X to close (which only takes up the lower 1/5th or whatever of the screen).

New switcher looks good, but it's just cumbersome IMO.

Does anyone know if a tweak exists that allows the screen on an iOS6 iPhone to rotate 270 degrees? (upside down)

A friend damaged their iPhone 4 digitizer and its got some dead spots near the top of the screen now, so this would help a little with certain apps.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Does anyone know if a tweak exists that allows the screen on an iOS6 iPhone to rotate 270 degrees? (upside down)

A friend damaged their iPhone 4 digitizer and its got some dead spots near the top of the screen now, so this would help a little with certain apps.
180 degrees is upside down, 270 is three quarters of the way round.

180 degrees is upside down, 270 is three quarters of the way round.
I'm silly, I was thinking of an old Nokia smartphone I was toying with that only rotates 90 degrees to the left and not the other direction (which you correctly stated is 270 degrees.

Anyway, now that I realized I should be searching google for 180 degree rotation, I found sbrotator and upsidedown. Thanks!

Guys I want to finally update my iphone 5 to iOS7 but I heard that the new 7.1 is not jailbroken yet.

Is there anyway I can get 7.0 but not 7.1?

iLLmAtlc

Guys I want to finally update my iphone 5 to iOS7 but I heard that the new 7.1 is not jailbroken yet.

Is there anyway I can get 7.0 but not 7.1?

Nope.

Unfortunately apple only allows a small window for you to update to the previous ios version when a new one comes out. In the future you should keep an eye out for what the latest jailnbreakable version is and update before it's too late.

Ok well if I update my iphone to iOS 7.1 now what will happen to all my jailbreak stuff?

Will it just get lost or deleted and then when they crack 7.1 I'll be able to jailbreak again?

iLLmAtlc

Ok well if I update my iphone to iOS 7.1 now what will happen to all my jailbreak stuff?

Will it just get lost or deleted and then when they crack 7.1 I'll be able to jailbreak again?

Never tried but I'd be very surprised if the your JB stuff would stay there after updating. Chances are if you want 7.1 you'll have to say goodbye to JB.

In other news iOS 7.1 iphone 4 jailbreak demoed by winocm:

http://www.redmondpie.com/ios-7.1-untethered-jailbreak-demoed-on-video/

Pachimari

This thread is super dead but I'm gonna try anyway.

I installed the SpringPaper tweak and now my phone freezes everytime I unlock it. My sleep/awake-button doesn't work, so what can I do in order to uninstall that single tweak without losing my jailbreak?

I tried holding down the Volume Up-button when it booted up while charging but that didn't work either.

Shaneus

You should just be able to turn your phone off, hold volume up and switch it on until it hits the springboard. I don't know if holding the volume while plugging it in to charge it does anything or not.

kick51

Banned
iOS 6.1.6 drains my ipod touch's battery relentlessly. I have to charge it every two days now. i leave it on airplane mode and only use it for music, have no extra apps open, etc.

searching on google says this is almost a meme after every single update, but I swear this wasn't the case before ;_;

can I just jailbreak it and roll it back or something? I don't really care about the SSL fix or whatever it was since I don't use this for anything but music.

maybe i should just buy the 128gb classic...

iLLmAtlc

iOS 6.1.6 drains my ipod touch's battery relentlessly. I have to charge it every two days now. i leave it on airplane mode and only use it for music, have no extra apps open, etc.

searching on google says this is almost a meme after every single update, but I swear this wasn't the case before ;_;

can I just jailbreak it and roll it back or something? I don't really care about the SSL fix or whatever it was since I don't use this for anything but music.

maybe i should just buy the 128gb classic...

How long has it been since you've upgraded? People tend to use their devices more within the first week of upgrading.

Anyhow if you're dead set on downgrading you can since you have iPod touch 4g presumably.

First you need to check which shsh blobs you have saved. You can do that by going into cydia -> TSS center. It will tell you shsh saved: 5.1.1, 5.01 for example. You can only downgrade to those versions listed.

Choose a version you want to downgrade to. If you want to jb you need to pick one that has untethered support like 5.1.1 or 5.01. It's only worth it to go back to 5 because IMO it is unlikely the latest ios 6 (which is a security fix) would have much worse battery than the other 6s.

Download ifaith if you're on windows or redsnow otherwise.

You need to: save your shsh blobs from cydia, stich them to the corresponding ios version with ifaith or redsnow.

Next put your device in pwned dfu mode and goto iTunes and restore with the stitched Ipsw

http://youtu.be/sRFLIedm4KM

Pachimari

I actually wonder why this thread isn't used more?

I mean, jailbreak is very popular, but are we all just using Reddit for our Cydia tweaks?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I actually wonder why this thread isn't used more?

I mean, jailbreak is very popular, but are we all just using Reddit for our Cydia tweaks?

I can only speak for myself, but I don't really find myself as interested in tweaks these days. Most of the features I used them for have either been built into iOS7 by now or were developed years ago and so there's not a lot of new tweaks coming that are really changing things up. Having said that I have a 4 so I can't take advantage of cpu-intensive stuff and I'm not really bothered about theming anymore, so that limits what I'd pay attention to anyway. Only thing I use frequently is BiteSMS really.

Blackhead

Redarse
Neither the iPhone 5s or the iPad air/mini OT threads have been used more recently either. People are just bored with iOS devices in general?

Also it sucks that there wasn't a jailbreak for iOS 6.1 and now there won't be one for 7.1 It makes the jailbreak community so much harder to get into when you have to keep hunting for phones with the right firmware.

p.s. has anyone tried that nin (hipjot) keyboard? Looks interesting

Shaneus

Neither the iPhone 5s or the iPad air/mini OT threads have been used more recently either. People are just bored with iOS devices in general?

Also it sucks that there wasn't a jailbreak for iOS 6.1 and now there won't be one for 7.1 It makes the jailbreak community so much harder to get into when you have to keep hunting for phones with the right firmware.

p.s. has anyone tried that non (hipjot) keyboard? Looks interesting
iOS took a massive backward step for me with 7. Shit just seems like it's been over-optimised to the point of being cumbersome. So much so, that my next phone is 80% likely to be an Android (unless I decide to stick with my 4S).

Still holding onto the iPad 3 though. But given that's not my main time-killing device like my phone is, I can live with iOS on that.

Z..

Is 7.1.1 on the way? I was forced to update my iphone today and I can't really deal with iOS without jailbreak...

Pachimari

But there seem to be talk about it being a kernel exploit, in which case releasing it now wouldn't affect an ios 8 release anyway.

problem seems to be the guy never releasing anything publically.

Shaneus

Wow. After making all that public, you'd think they'd have to release something now given it'll inevitably get patched for iOS8.

Edit: This seems to be news as well, from around two weeks ago:
As you know it is currently not possible to jailbreak iOS 7.1/7.1.1. But I have some good news. pod2g of the evad3rs has said that he is working on a jailbreak for iOS 7.1.

This is great news as it is a departure from his previous comments. Back in March when Apple released iOS 7.1 which killed the evasi0n7 jailbreak, he had mentioned they won’t focus on iOS 7.1 jailbreak, and most likely keep the vulnerabilities they’ve discovered for iOS 8.

It's probably been asked before, but I don't have time to read through 66 pages:

I'm getting a new iPhone 5S tonight for my birthday. I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 4, with several Cydia apps. Will this screw up iTunes syncing with my new 5S? Like, will it try to put the Cydia apps on it or anything? Or does iTunes ignore all the jailbreak stuff when it backs up my 4?

iLLmAtlc

It's probably been asked before, but I don't have time to read through 66 pages:

I'm getting a new iPhone 5S tonight for my birthday. I currently have a jailbroken iPhone 4, with several Cydia apps. Will this screw up iTunes syncing with my new 5S? Like, will it try to put the Cydia apps on it or anything? Or does iTunes ignore all the jailbreak stuff when it backs up my 4?

Dunno if you can successfully restore backup but there is no chance it will install cydia apps.

I haven't restored backup from jb 4 to new phone but I have done jb 4 to non jb 4 and everything worked out fine.

Dunno if you can successfully restore backup but there is no chance it will install cydia apps.

I haven't restored backup from jb 4 to new phone but I have done jb 4 to non jb 4 and everything worked out fine.

Ok thanks. I think it should be fine. We'll find out shortly...

Pachimari

Can somebody tell me why I can't access "iTunes and App Store" and "Music" within Settings?

I can't even access them while in safe mode and I need to change my account so I can get app updates. =/

Shaneus

Awwwww yiss! Hope that doesn't burn any potential iOS 8 exploits.

Edit: This is a good thing:
Hi Marcus, that's not 100% true.. there's more exploits more powerfuls.. just check out the MuscleNerd twitter account... and I quote: "The use of the (expired) enterprise certificate is the most unique part of Pangu JB (but it’s something we avoid for legal reasons)... Although using certs like that is out of bounds for us, I’m glad that was used rather than burning something more native and powerful"

Regards!

Good news! Guess I know what I'm doing at work today :D

Shaneus

Might be important to note: afc2add is not currently compatible with iOS 7.1.1. This means you can't use things like iFunbox to manage the file system on your jailbroken device... at least, until it's been updated. Hopefully shouldn't be too far off, but it does mean there are a number of things I can't transfer to my device (not without using something like FTP via wifi instead).

Edit: Never mind, looks like there's a workaround or two to get people by. Can confirm first-hand the method in the highest comment works, iPad3.

Shaneus

has the new jailbreak been vetted yet?
Vetted? How so? iH8sn0w has confirmed that there's nothing shifty in the installer, as long as you untick the box at the start so it doesn't install the dodgy pirate app store thing. Other than that, it's perfectly fine.
Sairuk has also released a new afc2add equivalent so things like iFunBox now run! The only things that are hungover are the obvious incompatibilities that come with upgrading a jailbreak/iOS version. Not a lot is severely broken, but if there's a gamechanger for you personally you'll find it in this spreadsheet. Gridlock is the only major one for me, which I submitted to the author yesterday and was updated a few hours after.

Wow I highly recommend anyone w/ an iPhone 4 to get on 7.1.1. To me speed has increased by a lot in comparison to 7.06.
I'm impressed with the speed at which my 4S is now running. Must've been a hell of a change between 7.0.6 and 7.1.1.

gonna wait for 7.1.2 and see if that's jailbreakable... is this a sound strategy? especially considering it's already been sent to carriers and couldn't have patched the jailbreak yet?

iLLmAtlc

gonna wait for 7.1.2 and see if that's jailbreakable... is this a sound strategy? especially considering it's already been sent to carriers and couldn't have patched the jailbreak yet?

Why do you want to wait?

If you are sure you want to jailbreak waiting until 7.1.2 means you risk losing that option...

Shaneus

has it been reverse engineered by any prominent iOS hackers and been deemed safe/free from malicious code?
Ah. Yes, it has. See my initial reply :)

Why do you want to wait?

If you are sure you want to jailbreak waiting until 7.1.2 means you risk losing that option...
Yeah, that doesn't make much sense to wait. Besides, I believe the update only fixes security flaws that can be fixed via add-ons in the Cydia marketplace anyway.

Top Bottom