• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Jailbreak/Unlock |OT|

liezryou

Repost cause directed here.

So basically i did a trade where i gave my 4 + 100$ for only a lightly used 4s. As it turns out, the phone is locked (not even sure which carrier, i check with my tmobile and att sims and no go) and has been for the past week. The guy who i traded it with is dodging all attempts at me contacting him so i assume he purposefully scammed me. I know, i shouldn't have gone first, screw me for being trustworthy [It was done over the web/shipment].

Anyway does anyone have any connections whereas they could help me unlock or something? I guess i would be willing to pay if necessary. Sorry if off topic, kinda desperate here.

So basically i did a trade where i gave my 4 + 100$ for only a lightly used 4s. As it turns out, the phone is locked (not even sure which carrier, i check with my tmobile and att sims and no go) and has been for the past week. The guy who i traded it with is dodging all attempts at me contacting him so i assume he purposefully scammed me. I know, i shouldn't have gone first, screw me for being trustworthy [It was done over the web/shipment].

Anyway does anyone have any connections whereas they could help me unlock or something? I guess i would be willing to pay if necessary. Sorry if off topic, kinda desperate here.

If it is in fact an AT&T phone you can try swiftunlocks. I've used them twice with no problems. But, since you mention that you've tried an AT&T sim card, the phone might be stolen (blacklisted). If it's blacklisted, I don't think there are any ways for you to activate the phone.

linkboy

It's probably a Verizon iPhone with a bad ESN, which means it's essentially an iPod Touch

liezryou

If it is in fact an AT&T phone you can try swiftunlocks. I've used them twice with no problems. But, since you mention that you've tried an AT&T sim card, the phone might be stolen (blacklisted). If it's blacklisted, I don't think there are any ways for you to activate the phone.

It's probably a Verizon iPhone with a bad ESN, which means it's essentially an iPod Touch

Apparently it's a vodafone UK locked phone. Apparently it also can't be unlocked unless you have the original owner's vodafone account number. Awesome.

iLLmAtlc

Apparently it's a vodafone UK locked phone. Apparently it also can't be unlocked unless you have the original owner's vodafone account number. Awesome.

ebay offers IMEI unlock service. if you are sure that it is not blacklisted, you could get it unlocked for a small fee (vodofone does not appear to be that expensive).

as long as you pick a reputable seller, you should be OK as even the iphone dev team recommends this method of unlock:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_trks...nkw=unlock+iphone+vodafone&_sacat=0&_from=R40

liezryou

ebay offers IMEI unlock service. if you are sure that it is not blacklisted, you could get it unlocked for a small fee (vodofone does not appear to be that expensive).

as long as you pick a reputable seller, you should be OK as even the iphone dev team recommends this method of unlock:

http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_trks...nkw=unlock+iphone+vodafone&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Oh well it's 60$... that's not cheap... I'll wait a few days see if i get a response from the other dude. If not that's my only option i guess.

iLLmAtlc

Oh well it's 60$... that's not cheap... I'll wait a few days see if i get a response from the other dude. If not that's my only option i guess.

It's not that bad IMO, here in canada an unlock for rogers and fido goes for 110 minimum.

As long as its not blacklisted its just a one time fee for an unlock that will last forever.

Zozobra

Hey guys, my apologies as this whole unlocking business is totally new to me:

I'm going to Japan in a few weeks and was looking in to renting a sim card over there for Google Maps and such, but I'm guessing my phone needs to be unlocked.

I've got an old 3GS with Rogers (no longer under contract/in use) that I'm willing to sacrifice, would I be able to follow one of those guides on modmyi for example to unlock it? I noticed the guides on that site seem to be for US carriers, but maybe if I follow the one for my current firmware version?

Also, from initial research it sounds like it could be trouble if the phone has to be restarted or something insofar as maybe having to re-unlock it? That kind of worries me if I'm all the way over there and it freezes or runs out of battery.

Maybe I should just look into renting a phone over there instead...

iLLmAtlc

Hey guys, my apologies as this whole unlocking business is totally new to me:

I'm going to Japan in a few weeks and was looking in to renting a sim card over there for Google Maps and such, but I'm guessing my phone needs to be unlocked.

I've got an old 3GS with Rogers (no longer under contract/in use) that I'm willing to sacrifice, would I be able to follow one of those guides on modmyi for example to unlock it? I noticed the guides on that site seem to be for US carriers, but maybe if I follow the one for my current firmware version?

Also, from initial research it sounds like it could be trouble if the phone has to be restarted or something insofar as maybe having to re-unlock it? That kind of worries me if I'm all the way over there and it freezes or runs out of battery.

Maybe I should just look into renting a phone over there instead...

Yes it's true that at least some versions of the SIM Card based unlocks require you to unlock the phone again after every reboot, but many unlocks do not require that.

Since you have a 3GS, you might be able to unlock it with ultrasn0w and the unlock does not reset itself everytime your phone boots. The phone would remain unlocked as long as you are jailbroken and until you restore the phone (at which point you would just preserve the baseband and unlock it again after you jailbreak). However, this unlock method is only available to you if you have something called an old bootroom:

hUdUMx8.png

If that is too complicated you can also use a software by ih8sn0w to check whether your 3GS is eligible if you are on Windows:

http://ih8sn0w.com/ - The software is called iDetector.

If you have a new bootrom and you are looking to unlock the phone for free your only hope would be if you your 3GS is running a really old version of a modem firmware (you haven't updated the phone since like iOS 3 something).

If you have a new bootrom I would encourage you to

a)talk to the provider if you are in Canada, many providers have policies to unlock old phones for ~$50 bucks or

b)Buy an IMEI unlock from ebay (search unlock iphone 3gs [your provider]). Find a reputable provider and this is the easiest and safest way of unlocking your phone.

I might give these guys a try. My question is what are they, or the countless people doing on ebay that we can't do ourselves? Do they have some magic unlock program? I have always wondered what goes on behind the scenes for iphone unlocks.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Just wanted to give big love to the ProTube Extension for YouTube App.

This is different than the standalone ProTube app. It adds functionality to the official Google YouTube app, including the latest version that came out recently.

It lets you download videos and block ads... but the godsend to me is the ability to be able to lock the device, or use other apps, while the audio plays. As someone who recently got into lots of YouTube music, this solves all my problems. No more iPhone lit up while I listen to tunes, killing my battery, hoping I don't press a button by accident, unable to do anything else on the phone.

It's $2.99 which I think is actually more than the standalone app... But I say skip your Starbucks coffee tomorrow and get your iOS YouTube experience working like its supposed to.

Shaneus

Fuuuuuck yes. Some other guy said he had an exploit for 6.1.4 as well, so I dunno if that perhaps used the same one.

My guess? Evad3rs/other dude/Unthreaded will release theirs once 7.1 hits the shelves (or maybe a week or two after). Guarantee that the first j/b is with an iOS that has bugfixes in it.

Unless of course Unthreaded are telling the truth about having a h/w exploit for <iPhone 5/iPad 4 (or iPad 3... I forget) in which case it doesn't really matter.

TUSR

Banned
Fuuuuuck yes. Some other guy said he had an exploit for 6.1.4 as well, so I dunno if that perhaps used the same one.

My guess? Evad3rs/other dude/Unthreaded will release theirs once 7.1 hits the shelves (or maybe a week or two after). Guarantee that the first j/b is with an iOS that has bugfixes in it.

Unless of course Unthreaded are telling the truth about having a h/w exploit for <iPhone 5/iPad 4 (or iPad 3... I forget) in which case it doesn't really matter.

unthreaded are trolls man

ok so I wanted to upgrade my jailbroken ipad to ios7. So I did a restore in iTunes which only let me do 6.3 for some reason. Anyway now the ipad is stuck in recovery mode. When I chose restore again it says "this device is not eligible for the requested build"

Red

I think I'm going to take the plunge on iOS 7. There are features I want, and some of my heavily used apps have moved to iOS 7+ only updates. But I am sure going to miss a few tweaks... f.lux, nitrous, %hook's law, zephyr... It's going to be a real pain going back to infuriatingly slow web scrolling.

Decided not to do it. Comparing my 4S to one running iOS 7 and it's no contest. Mine is easily twice as fast to get into apps, and much quicker to scroll in Safari and Chrome. I'm going to wait and hope further updates see a speed increase from 7.0.

kennah

ok so I wanted to upgrade my jailbroken ipad to ios7. So I did a restore in iTunes which only let me do 6.3 for some reason. Anyway now the ipad is stuck in recovery mode. When I chose restore again it says "this device is not eligible for the requested build"
Which version of ipad? 1,2,3 or 4?

Which version of ipad? 1,2,3 or 4?

It's a 4. I came back here to update. I forgot I was still using the iTunes beta. Which is why I guess it wouldn't let me update all the way to ios7. I had to manually download the latest version of iTunes. After doing that the iPad restored as normal. Crisis adverted.

iLLmAtlc

For those us still jailbreaking but thinking about jumping into iOS 7, fear not you can get the best of both words (sort of) because there are a bunch of awesome, free iOS 7 themes or tweaks available:

http://lifehacker.com/how-to-make-your-iphone-look-like-ios-7-right-now-514123732

NOTE: if you get a black lock screen you need to install the Cydia app Wallpaper JPEGifer and re-apply your wallpaper.

Here are some screen shots I just took myself on iPhone 4 running 6.1.2:

As you can see many of the apps like Safari, Music, Messages, have been modified too. Hats off to pw5a29.

Shaneus

Holy shit, that's had a lot of work put into it (or not much, and just ripped the icons). I assume if you want to go the extra mile and add things like the iOS7-esque switcher and iOS7-esque drag-toolbox thingy they're outside of the scope of a theme?

PS. How does it run/what's the overhead? I've almost always found theming to chew up far too many resources.

iLLmAtlc

Holy shit, that's had a lot of work put into it (or not much, and just ripped the icons). I assume if you want to go the extra mile and add things like the iOS7-esque switcher and iOS7-esque drag-toolbox thingy they're outside of the scope of a theme?

PS. How does it run/what's the overhead? I've almost always found theming to chew up far too many resources.

What is overhead? I don't notice any crashes at all, and the app opening might be a bit slower but it's kind of hard to tell. Battery definitely drains a little faster though. I don't have many tweaks installed outside of activator, passwordpilot, and other minor ones so ymmv.

Not sure bout the app switcher or the toolbox but I think the life hacker article talks bout using ncsettings and a combination of other stuff?

Does anyone run iOS 7 on an iPhone 4? How is the performance? Wondering if it is worth updating...

I think you'll have better luck asking I'm the official ios 7 topic. Sorry I'm km mobile too lazy to link lol. Also just a word of caution according to ih8snow, iTunes 11.1 required for ios 7 prevents iphone 4's from downgrading/preserving baseband on restores. Ih8snow is apparently working on a solution but it's still something to keep in mind because if you don't like it you could be stuck for a while,

Red

Does anyone run iOS 7 on an iPhone 4? How is the performance? Wondering if it is worth updating...

I have not spent significant time with one, but I know two people with an iPhone 4 running iOS 7 (how do you say "iPhone 4s" to distinguish from "iPhone 4S"?). One of them saw a speed increase, especially with launching the camera. The other saw a speed decrease. Both are pretty choppy. They both run worse than my iPad 3, which itself is incredibly disappointing and soured my opinion of the whole OS. I know that's not worth much without providing hard numbers.

If you're interested in some actual analytics, arstechnica has a more in-depth review.

If any of you guys enjoy downloading youtube videos, be sure to download MxTube. Up on the app store now. Very similar to the old Mctube app that I loved.

Shaneus

If any of you guys enjoy downloading youtube videos, be sure to download MxTube. Up on the app store now. Very similar to the old Mctube app that I loved.
Oh nice. Guessing it's not far from getting pulled (yet again). Is there a generic iOS apps thread? Might be worth posting in that, too.

Gaaraz

Still on iOS 5 with my iPad 2 - really need to upgrade now since so many apps won't work, but I can't live without jailbreak so I can dim it for night time reading

Is there anyway at all I can upgrade to a jailbreakable version of iOS 6? :) thanks

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
Question. I got my phone unlocked, and now I need to backup and restore my phone with the new SIM to complete the process. Is there a way to do this without losing my jailbreak? Can I just restore to my same iOS version (6.1.2) and then jailbreak it again?

I don't wan't to upgrade to iOS 7 yet :(

Shaneus

Surprised there's been nothing released for 6.1.3 yet. Surely there were exploits that were fixed after 6.1.3 that there'd be no harm in releasing?

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Anyone else found themselves dialling back on the tweaks a lot recently? With iOS 7 a lot of the things I used Winterboard for (transparent lock screen, translucent NC) and a few of the other tweaks (infinifolders, NC Settings) aren't really necessary any more, the only thing I can see myself missing at the moment is BiteSMS. I have a custom font too, but I can live without that. I'm on a 4 with 6.1.2 jailbroken and debating the upgrade to 7.0 just so I don't have the sluggish performance that running a jailbreak seems to give me at the moment. Seems the scene as a whole is quietening down, perhaps for the same reasons?

Blackhead

Redarse
Anyone else found themselves dialling back on the tweaks a lot recently? With iOS 7 a lot of the things I used Winterboard for (transparent lock screen, translucent NC) and a few of the other tweaks (infinifolders, NC Settings) aren't really necessary any more, the only thing I can see myself missing at the moment is BiteSMS. I have a custom font too, but I can live without that. I'm on a 4 with 6.1.2 jailbroken and debating the upgrade to 7.0 just so I don't have the sluggish performance that running a jailbreak seems to give me at the moment. Seems the scene as a whole is quietening down, perhaps for the same reasons?

You'll get sluggish performance with an iPhone 4 on nonjailbroken iOS 7 too. It's a three year old phone, that's the problem, the tweaks are a bit beside the point.

Z..

Ok, this is getting annoying, about 50% of the apps I've DLd over the last few weeks don't even open...

Am I stuck in 5.1.1 or what? =(

wetflame

Pizza Dog
You'll get sluggish performance with an iPhone 4 on nonjailbroken iOS 7 too. It's a three year old phone, that's the problem, the tweaks are a bit beside the point.

Yeah, I get that. But that was really just an afterthought, what I really meant was that it seems like Apple have been targeting a lot of the issues that people have turned to jailbreak tweaks to fix, and as they do so the reasons to apply those tweaks seem to be dwindling. Since posting though I've realised there are a bunch of little "nice to have" tweaks that I'd miss, so I don't really feel like jailbreaking is becoming pointless or anything, but there's definitely been a lot less of the "this is the reason for jailbreaking" tweaks coming along. Could be that those sorts of things are still going strong and so we don't need new ones, but it definitely feels like the longer this goes on, the less people will feel like they need to change, especially if they're not concerned about custom themes.

Blackhead

Redarse
Yeah, I get that. But that was really just an afterthought, what I really meant was that it seems like Apple have been targeting a lot of the issues that people have turned to jailbreak tweaks to fix, and as they do so the reasons to apply those tweaks seem to be dwindling. Since posting though I've realised there are a bunch of little "nice to have" tweaks that I'd miss, so I don't really feel like jailbreaking is becoming pointless or anything, but there's definitely been a lot less of the "this is the reason for jailbreaking" tweaks coming along. Could be that those sorts of things are still going strong and so we don't need new ones, but it definitely feels like the longer this goes on, the less people will feel like they need to change, especially if they're not concerned about custom themes.

Well some people jailbreak because having 'freedom' is worth it in and off itself.

Besides that, as Apple adds new features (some making old tweaks obsolete), there will always be new tweaks to enhance those new features. Apple's Control Center is far from perfect and there will be tweaks to make it better (e.g. replacing the calculator shortcut with a more useful app). I'm already salivating for tweaks that make use of TouchID...

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So I was thinking of jailbreaking my iPhone 5. Does it work on iOS7 yet? Also what are the benefits? Any way I can install some kind of new keyboard if I jailbreak?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
So I was thinking of jailbreaking my iPhone 5. Does it work on iOS7 yet? Also what are the benefits? Any way I can install some kind of new keyboard if I jailbreak?
No, there is no iOS7 jailbreak yet.

The benefits are pretty much having every new innovative feature Apple talks about half a decade in advance. And yes there are plenty of keyboard mods on Cydia. Most are aesthetic mods though.

Of course, when the iOS7 jailbreak comes out, all the jailbreak apps will need to be updated to work for iOS7. Compatibility is generally inconsistent when a new jailbreak comes out and it gets better over time.

Top Bottom