• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7, 2.4GHz A10 Chip, IPX7, Dual cameras, Piano Black

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red

If AirPods happen, I hope with a combination of a $300 cost and 3 hour battery life, they fail miserably.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I meant in response to this:

i.e. AirPlay isn't open. I'd rather they use generic Bluetooth instead of a closed alternative.

It can create an adhoc network though. It's the age of IoT; you can fit a wifi chip in anything. AirPlay Audio:

The main concern would be battery life but they would 'solve' that with a battery case. Actually while looking up the battery case info I recalled the 'old' (January!) article where Mark Gurman detailed the Airpods leak:

The wifi SOCs draw too much power IMO. BT LE Does have a streaming audio profile in the latest spec.

RocknRola

Why does it matter if someone else will get the same jank on a different phone a year after Nougat is released. I've also had the GNex, N4 and N5. They were all equally janky regardless of what version of Android was on it.

It's just saying it's not specifically a Samsung problem even though they're probably the biggest offender. It was on every Android device I've ever used.

Sorry, gonna call BS on that one. Had the N4 and now the OG N5 (since 2013), am looking to upgrade to either the new Pixel line or something else (should the Pixel line be crap) as they cut off the updates for it (no Nougat for me :( ).

In 3 years the N5 has been jank/stutter free. It has even been crash free. Granted, I don't have a huge amount of apps on it as it only has 16GB of space, but regardless I have the more common mail and social apps(Facebook, Tinder, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat, WhatsApp, etc).

Before those I had some phones from Sony with Android (an Xperia X10 Mini and shortly after an Arc S that I kinda broke) and the change (from those to the Nexus line) was night and day. Unfortunately Google made a big mistake letting manufacturers modify Android as freely as they can, as it can result in piss-poor performance. The stock version of Android is as fast and smooth as you can ever desire.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I don't care whether it uses bluetooth, but a someone who instinctively turns Bluetooth off every time I don't actively need it, I sure hope they find a way to make connecting/pairing ridiculously fast and easy. I don't want to be out there scanning for fucking earbuds and manually connecting, something that happens with my car often.

I don't care whether it uses bluetooth, but a someone who instinctively turns Bluetooth off every time I don't actively need it, I sure hope they find a way to make connecting/pairing ridiculously fast and easy. I don't want to be out there scanning for fucking earbuds and manually connecting, something that happens with my car often.
maybe some type of nfc activation? I *assume* apple will make this as easy as possible to handle as a user, cuz it's gonna have to be as user-resistant as a hole on the bottom of the phone.

jts

...hate me...
^have you lot tried to pair an iPhone with an Apple TV 4? It's awesome. Just tap the iPhone on it, like an NFC pairing, except it doesn't need NFC. Bluetooth is enough.

As a whole, Apple has been really messing with more straightforward ways to pair bluetooth devices other than the old process. There's the tapping, the picture you take of your Apple Watch screen, and the cable pairing for the newest bluetooth mouse, trackpad and keyboard.

So I'm pretty sure the AirPods will be fairly easy to pair and maybe switch them around between different devices. Well, at least Apple devices.

RocknRola

I don't think the issues will be with the tech itself, these days all companies have been adpating to or messing with wireless connections of every kind.

Now the need to charge might present itself as an issue for most people. Assuming of course they'll be fully wireless. I'm guessing they'll be wired still.

Enkidu

The wifi SOCs draw too much power IMO. BT LE Does have a streaming audio profile in the latest spec.
Does BLE actually use significantly less power than classic Bluetooth if it is used to actively stream audio? My understanding is that BLE is more energy efficient because the chip only sends small amount of data and then instantly goes into a deep sleep mode.

giga

You should probably stop turning it off. It doesn't use much battery when not in use.

Apple aint including wireless earphones in the box lol. It's just going to be the lightning earphones and that's fine because most consumers use what's packaged in so it'll be easy for them.

I do think the premium earphones they make will have some sort of easier pairing solution baked into the OS.

Kurdel

Banned
If AirPods happen, I hope with a combination of a $300 cost and 3 hour battery life, they fail miserably.

I can buy ok 25$ blutooth earphones off amazon, this isn't some fancy new technology we are talking about here.

Red

I can buy ok 25$ blutooth earphones off amazon, this isn't some fancy new technology we are talking about here.
I think the rumor was completely wireless earphones, so there would be no cable connecting the earpieces. Afaik such headphones are more challenging to produce.

Kurdel

Banned
I think the rumor was completely wireless earphones, so there would be no cable connecting the earpieces. Afaik such headphones are more challenging to produce.

Doesn't sound very Apple to outprice people from owning an iconic piece of packed in hardware.

They didn't even do iPhones with packed in wired beats, which would have sold a shitton and easy way to make a "premium" sku.

KingV

I wouldn't even want this. Id rather have the two tethered together, so I don't lose one.

I have a 2012 VW Golf, and as soon as I turn the car on it pairs with my iPhone 6 Plus without a hitch. Sounds good streaming music too...

That said, I tried to use the same phone in my friend's '14 Ford Focus and although pairing was a breeze, the sound quality was horrific.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
When exactly is the event again? September 7th? Wednesday right?

Anyway ever since Continuoty and Handoff I've kept Bluetooth turned on because it actually is useful. I still turn Wifi off when I leave home however and turn it on when I know I'm somewhere that has free Wifi that doesn't require a login. It sucks when my phone connects to a Wifi network with a login page but then doesn't give me any notifications because I haven't logged in. Those kinds of networks are the worst and counterproductive to today's usage. (Even more worse are landing pages that don't even have a mobile version. Why would you design anything on the web without a mobile version these days?)

I wish I could have Wifi set up to disable itself when I leave my home.

CraigMcD

Anyway ever since Continuoty and Handoff I've kept Bluetooth turned on because it actually is useful. I still turn Wifi off when I leave home however and turn it on when I know I'm somewhere that has free Wifi that doesn't require a login. It sucks when my phone connects to a Wifi network with a login page but then doesn't give me any notifications because I haven't logged in. Those kinds of networks are the worst and counterproductive to today's usage. (Even more worse are landing pages that don't even have a mobile version. Why would you design anything on the web without a mobile version these days?)

There must be a way around it, because watchOS 3 connects to these networks now.

I can imagine Apple coming out with packed-in bluetooth earbuds that sport some kind of new technology. Making it incredibly easy to pair with Apple devices, automatically turning on/off, that kind of thing. Something to make the actual buds "desirable" so people actively want to use bluetooth, to get people to willingly stop using wires. That'd be just about the only thing that would make the no-headphone-jack thing palatable for the consumer.

It's still unacceptable to me personally, but that's just what I see happening on Wednesday.

What? I never said Android is equal or less janky than ios nor am I debating that.

I'm saying that Google's Android is smooth and Samsung's bastardization of it is not.

You can't use a TouchWiz Samsung device than say you have experienced Android. Samsung adds way too much shit and ruins the performance.

It will be awesome to compare Googles new Pixel phones to the Note 7 in a month. Unfortunately people will still buy the galaxies in droves over the Google ones. #marketing

AOSP is Android
MotoBlur is Android
EMUI is Android
Cyagonen is Android
Oxygen OS is Android
Xperia UI is Android
LGUI is Android
MIUI is Android
PA is Android
whatever shenanigans Google pull on the Pixel phones is Android

the simple fact is TouchWiz is Android

and if you don't like it, get Google to stop releasing the source code

giga

Would be nice on the ipad pro if they do another.

Not sure what you need it on a phone. Do they even make super graphics heavy games anymore? What happened to infinity blade.

Geekbench doesnt test graphics performance. For me, the best use case for greater CPU performance is RAW capture and editing, which iOS 10 finally supports. iOS 10 also does a lot of its machine learning on-device, though that may be more GPU bound.

Same, since Continuity I've kept my Bluetooth on at all times. Same with Wi-Fi, since it's used heavily for mapping and location services, even when you're not actually connected to a network

Jeffrey

Geekbench doesnt test graphics performance. For me, the best use case for greater CPU performance is RAW capture and editing, which iOS 10 finally supports. iOS 10 also does a lot of its machine learning on-device.

Sounds good. Although even on the 6s the limitation of speed is due to the OS animations.

Hope all the changes in ios 10 don't kill the 6s in performance though.

Thinking of getting a refurbished for work purposes.

Guess Who

Banned
finally, headphones that reduce my phone battery life both because bluetooth uses more power than wired headphones AND they have to charge off my phone's battery when they inevitably die after four hours of use

Ashhong

think of it like the pencil. what if it charged really fast and pairs via lightning as well? could be neat

True but I'm not sure I would want to use my iphone to charge it all the time. What about overnight when I'm charging my phone and want my headphones ready to go for the next day?

reKon

Banned
Crazy geekbench scores, but again I'm not sure why people would care, especially if the iPhone 6s is already a speedy beast demon anyways? They should focus on battery life enhancements, screen tech, camera, and aesthetic design, which are all areas Apple is getting beat in their phones in some way or the other (they probably caught up again with their new camera this time though).

Like, what are you doing with your phone that demands that type of power? Do you really think that iOS wouldn't be able to run well on the next three versions of iOS, with the kind of power that the 6s has? I think this is more of a dick waving contest for a lot of you if this is actually having a strong impact on your purchasing decision.

It's as silly as a post I saw of someone on another site wanting to trade their Galaxy S7 for a One Plus 3 simply because the One Plus 3 won in a speed test in opening 12+ apps and reloading them...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom