• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iRacing |OT| The Real Racing Simulator

When does the new patch come out, this week or next? My subscription has been lapsed for a couple of weeks now and I've basically been waiting until the impending 2.0 release to sign back up.

Frawdder

blurredvision said:
When does the new patch come out, this week or next? My subscription has been lapsed for a couple of weeks now and I've basically been waiting until the impending 2.0 release to sign back up.
Steve Myers on the iRacing forums said probably Wednesday or Thursday.

Also, the Corvette is no longer going to be amongst the cars getting the NTM and instead it will be the Skip Barber.

bc226

I just do not understand how anyone that likes mods could support iracing after everything they did to moders of nascar 2003. I mean they even took some to court sorry but i will never support iracing after all they did to kill nascar 2003.

Frawdder said:
Steve Myers on the iRacing forums said probably Wednesday or Thursday.

Also, the Corvette is no longer going to be amongst the cars getting the NTM and instead it will be the Skip Barber.

So the plan is to no longer release it on all cars right now? I'm not really surprised, since the NTM preview on the Nationwide car was essentially "delayed" for almost 2 months. Is it just coming out on the Skip Barber or other cars as well?

Ravenn17

blurredvision said:
So the plan is to no longer release it on all cars right now? I'm not really surprised, since the NTM preview on the Nationwide car was essentially "delayed" for almost 2 months. Is it just coming out on the Skip Barber or other cars as well?

Impala A
Impala B
Silverado
Ford GT
HPD ARX-01C
Skip Barber Formula 2000

That's what I saw from the forums.

Frawdder

blurredvision said:
No, one of the staff said in the forum that some cars were ready while others still weren't quite there yet. The Class A Impala, Class B Impala and the Silverado are getting it on the oval side and the Acura LMP car, the Ford GT and the Skip Barber on the road side. Originally it was to be the Corvette instead of the Skip but they were further along with the tyre model in the Skip.

They are going to release the NTM for each car as soon as it's available rather than wait until the end of season update.

I wasn't really holding my breath to get all the cars with the NTM in this update.

Frawdder

blurredvision said:
I wasn't either, actually. The NTM on the Skip Barber interests me way more than on the Corvette anyhow.
Yeah, same.

I haven't driven it for a long time so I hope it makes it a bit more stable than what I remember it to be.

Orgun

Just did a stock car race on Thompson Internationa Speedway. Started 4th, got up yo 2nd then took a knock and spun out. That dropped me down to 8th with a slightly damaged car. I decided not to pit and fought my way back up to 4th :)

Is there a key to remove the interface when watching replays?

bee

skippy over corvette for the NTM initial release, good shit! will be buying suzuka and the HPD ARX-01C for sure....feels good to be ultra rich to afford this "outrageously expensive" game that costs £45 a year sub with cars at £7 and tracks at £9!!!! lols

my upgrade should be here for thursday, absolutely can't wait tbh

Orgun

Hope the skippy events return soon (for Class D). So tired of driving MX5s and Stock cars.

Did my first Formula Fun race this afternoon. 18 cars, 15 laps (I lasted 5) on Zandvoort. Thank god the Formula Fun races don't affect your ranking lol.

Didnt make any car contact but I CERTAINLY made wall contact on the 5th lap. Skipped across all the gravel hit the wall which flung me across the road into the other wall :)

I was having a really intense battle up until that point too :(

Branson

Don't guess a lot of people do Oval here? All I see are posts about road cars mainly. Class D in road and will probably finally get that up once the new tire model hits for those cars. Also new build tomorrow! Excited. iRacing 2.0 is upon us.

Orgun

Branson said:
Don't guess a lot of people do Oval here? All I see are posts about road cars mainly. Class D in road and will probably finally get that up once the new tire model hits for those cars. Also new build tomorrow! Excited. iRacing 2.0 is upon us.

Yeah I do oval now and again. I was suprised how much I enjoyed it. Only done Stock Cars so far though.

bee

update tomorrow yeah?? i'm now ready........

monu8ec.jpg

:D

Branson

bee said:

:D

Dude. I'm jealous. How much did you spend?

Also you're going to have a bit more time to get that set up. The maintenance is rescheduled tomorrow. FUUUUUU

bee

Branson said:
Dude. I'm jealous. How much did you spend?

Also you're going to have a bit more time to get that set up. The maintenance is rescheduled tomorrow. FUUUUUU

it cost me just over £210 as an upgrade, £382.50 for the 3 monitors delivered then i sold my old 120hz one for £170. total bargain imo, would of cost me around £540 to get another 2 benq's which was my old monitor

didn't even get chance to try iracing last night but it'll be getting hammered tonight :D both 2D and 3D

Frawdder

Branson said:
This season just gone I ran the Truck series. Personally, I lean towards road racing but I had a lot of fun racing the Trucks and I picked up 4 wins during the season (Dover x2, Homestead and Michigan).

I'm definitely going to be racing the Trucks again next season, probably with a road series just to mix it up a little and turn right.

bee said:
Awesome!

F0NZ

blurredvision said:
Looks like the release notes will be out this evening at some point, then the update will happen in the morning.

Yup, Chris just updated stating that the update will happen on the 29th.

On a side note; today while waiting for the update I bought the Williams. Did a couple of practice runs on Zandvoort and participated in a race. All I am going to say is that this cas is a freaking blast. I kick myself for not getting into it earlier.

Kyaw

bee said:

http://www.abload.de/img/monu8ec.jpg

:D[/QUOTE]

Man those LCDs are SWEET for the price! £153 for 3D/120hz here.

Great buy!

Frawdder

Season 3 Release Notes are out. I picked a few out from the massive page of updates

http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1497716.page

Divisions

- The method by which the iRating ranges that define divisions are selected has been adjusted. The old method tried to ensure that a fairly consistent number of drivers would be placed into each division. The new method instead tries to balance the expectation that drivers within a division will be competitive with each other. With the new method, some divisions will have a fairly large number of drivers (generally the middle divisions), while some divisions will have relatively few drivers (generally the outer (low and high) divisions).

Hosted Sessions

- Changed lone qualifiers to allow 1 lap.

Tournament Racing

- This feature is an extension to hosted racing. It enables you to run tournaments by linking together multiple hosted sessions. The results from one hosted session can be used to determine eligibility for subsequent rounds in the tournament.

- A tournament consists of an initial round followed by any number of preliminary rounds followed by a final round. Each tournament round can be configured to run on up to 10 servers. The initial round of a tournament is open to everybody unless the host provides a password (just like with regular hosted sessions).

- Eligibility for subsequent tournament rounds is controlled by the host. When setting up a subsequent round the host uses a grid builder to control who is eligible to compete and how the grids will be structured.

Known Issues / Limitations with this release

- No multiclass support. You are limited to a single car type for each round in the tournament.

BETA FEATURE - Browser Integrated Text Chat

- We are providing browser integrated text chat as a BETA feature. This will allow all members to try it out, if they wish, and help provide any feedback or issues. This is an opt in feature, so to use it you must go to the General Tab on the Settings Panel (the settings panel is opened by clicking on the gear icon on the right hand side of the page under the race panel) and selecting "Enable Integrated Chat".

Integrated chat requirements:

- You must have your online status set as available (This setting is available on the general tab of the settings panel)

- You must have Integrated Chat Enabled (This setting is available on the general tab of the settings panel). After enabling or disabling this feature you must reload the browser page or change pages for the change to take effect.

- You must have a mutual friend who also meets criteria #1 and #2. (Only mutual friends can chat with one another, see *Mutual Friends System* in these release notes )

Awards

- For this release we've added a new set of awards. Like the first set, most of these will not be retroactive so you can go get them now!

New awards include:

- Hard Charger Awards - Start in the bottom 10% of grid, finish in top 10% of grid with no incidents in an official race with grid size of at least 10.

- Polesitter Awards - Start an official race from the 1st spot on the grid for your car class.

- World Traveler - Drive at every track in an open practice, hosted session, time trial, or race.

- Jack of All Trades - Drive in every car in an open practice, hosted session, time trial, or race.

- Club Contributor - Win points for your club.

- Club President - Win the most points for your club in a season.

- iRating Awards - Awarded the first time you cross each of 2000, 3000, 4000, 5000, 6000, 7000, 8000, and 9000 iRating.

- Overachiever - Win an oval race that counts toward your MPR while having the best iRating in the field.

- Cruise Control - Win a road race that counts toward your MPR while having the best iRating in the field.

Simulation:

New Tire Model

The new tires are now on the three top oval vehicles: the Cup car, Nationwide car, and Truck (Nascar A, B, and C series). They are also now on the Skip Barber Formula car, as well as the two new cars, the Ford GT and the Acura LMP car. The new tires continue to be developed, and we will be rolling out more cars with the new tires as we are able. Setups for cars other than the Skip Barber car will need to be adjusted—we have included some new baseline setups with the affected cars.

The tires are a bit more forgiving than in the preview release of the Nationwide car. Low pressures are no longer necessarily the way to go for the fastest laps. If your car feels unstable under braking, try moving the brake bias more forward (higher front bias percentage), since we’ve found that many of the road cars seem to have too rearward of a brake bias on the new tires if using the old setting.

Depth Of Field Effect

- A depth-of-field effect may now be enabled during replays via the replay options screen (see the lower right corner of the replay options screen for the new "depth of field effect" check box, which will requires a restart to take effect). WARNING: Enabling this effect will consume a large chunk of video memory for all of the off-screen render targets required to accomplish the effect. This effect also requires pixel shaders to be enabled.

Steering Wheel Configuration

- The sim can now recognize steering wheels that have up to 1080 degrees of rotation.

- Improved detection of game pad (hint: move your sticks slower!)

- Added support for mapping the throttle/brake to a button.

- Converted force strength to a range of 0 to 40.

- Enabled a force feedback damping slider. Setting 0 damping will give the cleanest force feedback experience.

- Notify customers that pedals must be pressed slowly to be detected (we need 4 unique samples to detect a pedal)

- Removed brake force curve calibration.

- Cleaned up code to reduce chances of Fanatech wheels locking up.

Driver Aids

- Additional assistance is available to help you get your favorite car around the track. You can now enable more driver aids in the Options configuration.

- The Racing Line driver aid shows a colorized racing line around the track that is colored red for braking zones, through to green for acceleration zones.

- Brake Assistance prevents you from locking up your brakes.

- Throttle Assistance prevents you from spinning your wheels.

- Driver aids can be enabled or disabled for an online hosted session by the session owner.

- iRacing Rookie series allow driver aids, but series of Class D and above do not allow any driver aids.

Tracks

Iowa Speedway

- Now available!

Suzuka International Racing Course

- Now available!

Cars

HPD ARX-01c

- Now available!

Ford GT

- Now available!

- The Ford GT is a tough car to get the handling balance right on. This is really based on the fact that it is a flat bottomed car, that's forced to run a high ride hight. 55mm is the minimum ride height per the ACO Rulebook. Now with the front and rear at minimum, you'd lose a lot of front downforce, so you really want to have the car running close to 10mm of rake as a starting point with all setups. One thing to remember when driving and setting up this car is that to get front downforce (DF), you REALLY need to close up the distance between the splitter and the ground. With a min ride height of 55, the only way to do this is to get weight transfer from braking, whether it's from lifting off the gas, or actively applying the brakes. Both will cause a downforce shift towards the front! HOWEVER, bottoming the splitter WILL cause the front DF to spike and then rebound will and cause all kinds of handling issues. Try to set the car up so that the splitter comes close to the ground, but doesn't actually HIT the ground under braking. We have found a front bumpstop gap of 13-19mm works fairly well, though running stiffer springs, you may not need them that close.

- This is an AERO car first and foremost, so the low speed handling may be compromised by the choice of springs that will hold it up at high speed and high downforce settings! Depending on the nature of the circuit, you may want the car to trim itself out at high speed, so you'd run stiffer front springs, and softer rears. But if it's a high downforce circuit, you may want to reverse that balance so you can get the nose down on the ground in the braking zones, to help move the aero balance forward so the car turns-in well. Using damper rebound to help hold the nose down may work, but can reduce suspension compiance. It's a tough car to make work well, and will reward a patient driver with good speed and decent handling. Those that expect it to turn well without altering the aero balance may find it to drive like a truck!

Williams FW31

- Fuel mixture adjustment is now available, and is mappable to a new fuel mixture control.

I read through the entire build notes and there's really not much there to be honest. Not really worthy of the "2.0" moniker if you ask me. If the NTM was releasing in all its glory, then sure, but even that still feels like it's in beta stage, with them saying they are releasing the Skippy NTM instead of the Corvette because it's "farther along".

Orgun

F0NZ said:
Yup, Chris just updated stating that the update will happen on the 29th.

On a side note; today while waiting for the update I bought the Williams. Did a couple of practice runs on Zandvoort and participated in a race. All I am going to say is that this cas is a freaking blast. I kick myself for not getting into it earlier.

It's great fun isnt it! When did you race, I might have been racing against ya if it was Formula Fun :)

edit:

- Removed brake force curve calibration.

Eek, I used that quite frequently! Especially when I found I was locking my brakes with the slightest of touches.

blurredvision said:
I read through the entire build notes and there's really not much there to be honest. Not really worthy of the "2.0" moniker if you ask me. If the NTM was releasing in all its glory, then sure, but even that still feels like it's in beta stage, with them saying they are releasing the Skippy NTM instead of the Corvette because it's "farther along".
I agree. Hearing that the new tyre model isn't available for all cars is disappointing.

Frawdder

Patching is finished. Site is back and there are two 24 Hours of Fun (whatever happened to those every week?) Silverados at Iowa and the HPD ARX and Ford GT at Suzuka.

That was surprisingly quick.

bee

good news that it's finally up and looking forward to some early impressions. shame i'm stuck at work for the next 2 and a half hours or even longer maybe as time is seemingly going backwards :(

Branson

bee said:
good news that it's finally up and looking forward to some early impressions. shame i'm stuck at work for the next 2 and a half hours or even longer maybe as time is seemingly going backwards :(
I'm stuck at work too. Anybody get a chance to run anything?

supersaw

I did a couple of laps in the Skip on Lime Rock, you can definitely notice the difference. The force feedback is really accurate and sharp with not as much damping (although you can turn that up if you want) but it feels like it's easier to tell when you're about to lose traction and therefore can go into the corners with more confidence.

bee

just got in from the pub and did a few laps with the skippy around suzuka. the car feels a lot more planted to me, like its actually on a road and not skating on ice. theres masses of understeer well at least while the tyres are cold anyway but the lift off oversteer is so much more controllable (as it should be)

have to do a lot more laps and some races of course though, just hotlapping for now, well maybe without the hot :p

performance is great, below resolution, maxed (except no 2 pass shadows), 4xmsaa, 2xsgssaa, 16xhqaf forced through nvidia cp, 130 fov and get like 90-120fps with no vsync just fps locked at 120 through game although that is of course with a single car on suzuka

oh yeah and you could say i'm enjoying it quite a lot haha

bee

just ordered the newer nixim brake mod aswell, currently running a G25 with the old nixim mod (its pretty worn) and leo bodnar cable. those 2 mods transform the pedals completely for anyone wondering

but right now for me the G25 is just feeling old technology wise ( the wheel is like 4 years old anyway) with the money i saved on the monitors i actually have enough cash left set aside for a t500rs but with that new fanatec and the very real possibility of a new logitech soon, i'm kinda stuck in no mans land. i'm gonna reluctantly stick with this for now and see what the competition brings

few more impressions of the skippy around lime rock this time. this car was and still is my all time favourite sim car just for the fun factor it provides. The oversteer just seems so much more catchable, drifting turning left into that final right hander onto the pit straight has never been so much fun

edit: ok the NTM is really beginning to feel like a big upgrade for me on the skippy at least. just been lapping road atlanta and i'm not sure of the turn, maybe turn 6? which is a horrible left hander onto a straight with a gravel trap, the car just feels SO much better through there, it feels just like a car on road tyres should imo

supersaw

bee said:
but right now for me the G25 is just feeling old technology wise ( the wheel is like 4 years old anyway) with the money i saved on the monitors i actually have enough cash left set aside for a t500rs but with that new fanatec and the very real possibility of a new logitech soon, i'm kinda stuck in no mans land. i'm gonna reluctantly stick with this for now and see what the competition brings

If you're going to play Forza 4 on the xbox wait for the new Fanatach's or get a GT2 with clubsport pedals. If you're going to stick to PC then the t500rs seems to be a no-brainer as I doubt logitech will actually innovate. G27 feels almost identical to the G25.

I took the Skippy around Okayama for a few laps and it feels really, really good. I need to do some adjustments on my FFB due to the changes made there, but I'm pretty impressed. Spin-outs feel pretty different too, more realistic I guess, or at least what I'd imagine them to feel like, since I've never really spun out a car in real life before.

Orgun

Frawdder said:
Decided to try a Carburetor Cup race and then this happened on lap 4:

http://www.abload.de/img/iracingsim2011-07-30144ksa.png

Guess who's in the #11

:D[/QUOTE]

Hahaha nice. Carb cup is actually a lot more fun than I thought.

I did a stock car race on a track that had laps of 16-17 seconds, so much concentration required! Did a lot of swerving to avoid spinning cars heh

Top Bottom