• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC) Vol. 2

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
I have four beautiful marbled NY steaks I got on sale last night. Should I just grill em? I got such a good deal I feel like "ruining" them and making tacos or even burgers wouldn't be a waste. I'm gonna marinate them in a southwest facing marinade regardless. Cumin, adobo etc

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I would not marinate them as it makes them more difficult to sear correctly. maybe a light dry rub before grilling and some herbal butter before serving?

Nikodemos

Wasn't there a guy who claimed that using dry spices on a steak cooked via conductive (that is, regular cast iron skillet) heating (as opposed to, say, convective) is likely to burn/scorch off the spices (and to give a burnt taste to the steak)?

Stinkles

I would not marinate them as it makes them more difficult to sear correctly. maybe a light dry rub before grilling and some herbal butter before serving?

I have good sear karma even with wet marinades. First I pat off the excess, then add pepper. Heavy skillet at crazy high heat (smoking with a little peanut oil). I always get a nice caramelized finish. I finish them in the oven typically, so two minutes very hot each side, then two minutes in a 500 degree oven (with butter) and then I rest 'em.

Symphonia

Banned
img_08078syll.jpg

Tasted delicious.

Another girl is leaving the pastry team this Wednesday putting us down to the head chef, her sous, me, an older woman who only makes cookies and hot chocolates, and another girl who doesn't know much about food so can't help with major production tasks.

I've been the primary PM plater and production crew all by myself lately and it's been exhausting as fuck. This girl leaves Wednesday and I know my schedule is about to be 50 hour weeks for the next few weeks. We haven't been able to find anyone who can keep up with us either since good pastry people are hard to come by apparently :(

RIP me

Maiar_m

Another girl is leaving the pastry team this Wednesday putting us down to the head chef, her sous, me, an older woman who only makes cookies and hot chocolates, and another girl who doesn't know much about food so can't help with major production tasks.

I've been the primary PM plater and production crew all by myself lately and it's been exhausting as fuck. This girl leaves Wednesday and I know my schedule is about to be 50 hour weeks for the next few weeks. We haven't been able to find anyone who can keep up with us either since good pastry people are hard to come by apparently :(

RIP me
I really admire you and all others who work in the field. Good luck!

Zyzyxxz

RIP me

Get that overtime while you can!

RIP me
Dude(ette).

I work at a convention hotel that feeds up to 2000 people for dinners. We're down to just me for the hot side supervisor -- we should have 3 supervisors, one for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Right now, there is so much on my sous and my shoulders.

Dude(ette).

I work at a convention hotel that feeds up to 2000 people for dinners. We're down to just me for the hot side supervisor -- we should have 3 supervisors, one for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Right now, there is so much on my sous and my shoulders.

I mean the overtime is great but the amount of recipes and techniques being shoved into my brain right now is nuts. Some days my brain feels like its going to expand out of my ears and pour onto the floor 😔

I can't even fathom if we were any larger of a restaurant than what we are. Im grateful that at most we will do 300 covers, I cant imagine serving 2000+ people. ☹️

Keep crushing it though! Hopefully you get some extra hands soon and can get back to a normal balance in that kitchen. We're sort of in the same boat of being understaffed and its a lot of weight to carry but i think it really gives you an opportunity to see how much you can handle. I believe in you !

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

RIP me

I believe in you!

Pastry/Baking GAF: It isn't wrong to call a spade a spade when it comes to a cake recipe changing a fair bit past an initial core concept to become a "torte", and therefore a unique beast unto itself, is it? I wasn't an ass about it, just mentioning that I guessed I still have the original target to chase down one of these days yet to come since that in particular didn't pan out this time around.

It was good and all, but definitely a road well and truly diverged from the old piece of history I had in my sights.

Stinkles

8 minutes in the oven at 400 degrees seems excessive for a steak. I saw he did 3 minutes for his "wee" steak, but man that's 8 minutes cooking!

I'd be scared.

BTW I made tacos AND steaks. Tacos from leftover steak. Cut into narrow strips and served on tortillas with cilantro, a little salsa verde and some yuctecan pickled onions (chop red onion, marinate in lime juice with cumin and a little allspice) - sprinkled with a wee bit of queso fresco. YUM.

To reheat the steaks, I just seared the shit out of them - which warmed them internally off course, but created a REALLY flavorful "burnt ends" texture without actually burning.

Man, you guys pay more for EVERYTHING, don't you?
Yup. We get slugged with a bad currency conversion rate, high costs because of our distance, and all our prices include a 10% sales tax. And usually there's additional costs on top of all that, just because.

We call it the "Australia Tax".

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
That's just plain absurd. Is stainless steel some kind of unobtanium over Australia?

I'm sure you can find some local manufacturer offering quality products at a better price point, right?. Mine are, and they are as good as any other.

Kal

Hey IronGAF! Looking to buy a stand mixer as I've been doing a lot of baking over the last few months - what would you recommend? Looking at the KitchenAid Artisan and also the Kenwood Chef series...

EDIT: Ended up going for the KitchenAid Artisan 175 in silver. Cost me an arm and a leg... oh well lol! Was very close to getting a Kenwood Chef Sense but decided against it after reading some of the critical reviews on Amazon (warranty issues).

le-seb

Testing some log options before Christmas.

This one sports a dacquoise biscuit (hazelnut flavoured, macaron like), a pear flavoured mousse bavaroise (pears purée incorporated to whipped cream) and a layer of caramel sauce (a bit too thin, so almost not visible on the picture).
4nKVlxZI6gHmwup7F21NbgJN8uUVPunMzZCzCS90TuJJmORHpGS6tEiJx1MNzaMu0DnXHeg6Ug=w1367-h939-no

Very fresh, and not even too sugary.

Hardest thing to make was the praline paste (part of the biscuit, hence the brown spots), due to my tiny and inefficient mixer, but it was pretty easy otherwise.
Alas, my SO's sisters don't like pears, so I'll have to find something else.

Maiar_m

Testing some log options before Christmas.

This one sports a dacquoise biscuit (hazelnut flavoured, macaron like), a pear flavoured mousse bavaroise (pears purée incorporated to whipped cream) and a layer of caramel sauce (a bit too thin, so almost not visible on the picture).
4nKVlxZI6gHmwup7F21NbgJN8uUVPunMzZCzCS90TuJJmORHpGS6tEiJx1MNzaMu0DnXHeg6Ug=w1367-h939-no

Very fresh, and not even too sugary.

Hardest thing to make was the praline paste (part of the biscuit, hence the brown spots), due to my tiny and inefficient mixer, but it was pretty easy otherwise.
Alas, my SO's sisters don't like pears, so I'll have to find something else.

Bûches are great. Last year I did a chocolate and toasted hazelnut genoise for the biscuit wrap and filled it with no-churn parliné ice cream and two layers of speculoos biscuits as I figured ice cream logs are usually the most crowd-pleasing after a large diner.

Also I concur: parliné paste without a strong mixer is a pain. My mixer looks like it's seen war from all the parliné I've made with it.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Ok, rant time.

This kitchen angers me.

EkxLo72.jpg

I'm a sucker for interior design and I put a lot of effort in my kitchen when I built it. And as pretty (and expensive) as the one in the photo may be, nothing says poseur like a buddha head and a friggin framed picture sitting in front of the range. Because God forbid somebody stages a kitchen photo with actual kitchen shit in it.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHhhhhh

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
awesome stuff, everybody!

I can relate to the poseur kitchen anger. a friend of mine is a stone cutter and specialized in kitchen surfaces. A quite wealthy couple ordered a kitchen made from lime sand (!).

When He told them that the material is unsuitable for kitchen use, they said that they won't cook in there anyway, it should just "look good". A five-digit investment.

So, let's share the ugly kitchen pics!

Mine is to be seen in the first post, the current one looks like this:
110329Mix055_DxO800x600.jpg

...and like this when in use:
83C1719A-1BD0-4A65-8BC2-A50D4B2C7735.jpg

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I've never heard of lime sand, but I've seen limestone counters. They are gorgeous, but just like marble ones they'll only work if you nuke your food daily or go after that "well used" look.

Honestly, I'm considering marble for my next kitchen (which is still far away) as heat and water resistance are paramount and it's cheaper than granite (which I used in my current set). I would ruin laminate within weeks. I leave hot pots and dripping stuff all over the place.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I lack the translation for Kalksandstein, sorry.

As for work surfaces, nothing compares to stainless steel or wood.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Ok, rant time.

This kitchen angers me.

EkxLo72.jpg

I'm a sucker for interior design and I put a lot of effort in my kitchen when I built it. And as pretty (and expensive) as the one in the photo may be, nothing says poseur like a buddha head and a friggin framed picture sitting in front of the range. Because God forbid somebody stages a kitchen photo with actual kitchen shit in it.

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHhhhhh

gZQgSQo.gif

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Ok, rant time.

This kitchen angers me.

EkxLo72.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHhhhhh

So about that "cupboard" door on the close end of the island...

It looks like a horrible kitchen to work in. Where the heck is the fridge?? like who would work in a kitchen like that and actually get something done. You'd break a sweat preparing before a pot could even boil. And the two sinks? completely not optimal function. They could've added a pot filler spout behind the stove instead of a stupid framed picture. What's up with the lamp in the corner. Why is there a window between the counter and the stove?? Soo many things wrong with it. Each thing glares out the longer you look at it.

My kitchen is tiny, but onkel, how do you even function? A sink that small?? My kitchen is 8x12 with the counters along the 8ft wall with a 30" single basin sink. The cabinets are worthless. I keep paint in the bottom right, and tools on the bottom left, and other supplies under the sink. I keep cleaning products in the upper right and cups in the upper left. I did get four drawers redone to keep utensils, gadgets, and rolls of foil, saran wrap, and baggies in. I have two open shelve units from ikea (12" depth). One is a pantry with the microwave on it. The other is for plates and bakeware stuff. I keep the pots on a rack above the stove. My cast iron pieces never truly have a home though. I have an island work cart that I keep between the stove and the counter that I do all my prepping on. I'll post some picture later. It's a shitty kitchen, but it's amazing the stuff I can do in there.

On another note, I got a pumpkin from one of the departments at school. They had it out for Thanksgiving. Someone accidently grew it in their yard and brought it in for decoration. I told them I could turn it into a pie (it was a sweet pie variety). So they gave it to me, and last night I made six pies out of it. I brought them all in today and told them "here's your pumpkin back." I also had 26ish ounces of filling left over that I put in a jar for someone to make their own. I ran out of crust and pie dishes. I don't think they realized that one little pumpkin could make so much.

On the down side. One pie I nearly forgot to add the brown sugar to the filling. I already had it poured, so I threw it into the pie and mixed it around the best I could. I ended up with an extra can of condensed milk somehow too.... The upside is that I had a little filling left over after filling a pie, and then I'd mix in the next 2 cups of puree to what was already in the bowl. So there might be a pie or two that's not quite as sweet. And I only had enough eggs to add one per pie rather than two, but they all seemed to set well.
My puree turned out really good though. It wasn't at all watery like some of the other ones I've done in the past. So it was good and thick filling. I've had pies with the water baked out and it decreased nearly in half.

It's not an exact science, right??

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Barilla started to sell a "one pot pasta" cooking mix as of recently, I wanted to try that out. It costs around 2.50 EUR a pack and is labeled as "3 servings". LOL.
Cooking pasta like sticky rice feels wrong on many levels, but the result wasn't as vile as expected.

I opted to spruce it up with a bit of grated Emmental, but found a ball of Mozzarella in the fridge, so that went in.

3F1230BA-CA17-4C8F-BC5C-C46DD5ADA6EC.jpg

1A7AB6D0-741F-46BA-9817-A95A9C32B463.jpg

9EE2DA06-4110-4052-B570-DC2A63DD6249.jpg

1EA06A02-8D83-401C-83BE-A6C70A9CA0DE.jpg

FB8C96FD-50A6-485E-BBB4-03B10EB3033B.jpg

CDA0AFDC-5D8B-4845-ADEF-CF0E11D4C73A.jpg

0564036F-5302-4A0C-86EC-5469C5784F0F.jpg

Monday night meh.
4C4998CE-ADE3-445D-BB3F-233E10DE4742.jpg

Edit: The effort for the plating matches the effort for the preparation.

Yes Boss!

Hi all,

Moving back to the US and my kitchen next February. Excited to get back cooking after two years in Korea and absolutely no kitchen. Been using my rice cooker here for most everything and the extremely minimal setup and has paid dividends. But, will be sharing more beginning early next year. Continued to lurk :)

Christmas baking has begun. Sugar cookies getting ready for icing by the kids:

xmas-baking.jpg

Can see jars of roasted almonds in the back for roca. Fudge has been produced. Busy busy.

zbarron

Barilla started to sell a "one pot pasta" cooking mix as of recently, I wanted to try that out.

How was the taste?

I just moved to a new apartment this past weekend so kitchen pictures incoming. I'm just waiting for them to install the two missing drawers that should be coming today.

Hi all,

Moving back to the US and my kitchen next February. Excited to get back cooking after two years in Korea and absolutely no kitchen. Been using my rice cooker here for most everything and the extremely minimal setup and has paid dividends. But, will be sharing more beginning early next year. Continued to lurk :)
Good to have you back. Are you still making kimchi?
Christmas baking has begun. Sugar cookies getting ready for icing by the kids:

Can see jars of roasted almonds in the back for roca. Fudge has been produced. Busy busy.
Looks great. Is this a yearly thing for you?

snacknuts

we all knew her
Since we're posting pictures of our kitchens:

g8satyz.jpg

A bit messy, but plenty functional. This is the first time I've had a kitchen with an island and it's extremely handy.

EDIT: Ended up going for the KitchenAid Artisan 175 in silver. Cost me an arm and a leg... oh well lol!.
Probably the better choice despite the extra cost. My wife was given one from the family around ten years ago and it's still working wonderfully. I've used it a couple of times this week in fact.

The only tip I can give is to run it for a few minutes each week, even if you aren't actually cooking with it. This will stop problems with grease forming/leaking from the mixer part (this happened to us a number of years ago with it, when we didn't use it for a few months; it's been fine since).

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Very interesting kitchen pics everybody, keep them coming!

Hi all,

YAY!, good to have you back!

How was the taste?
not that bad with the added mozzarella, considering it took like 15 minutes to prepare. There's still an uncomforting feeling with using pasteurized "meat" sauce of unknown origin.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I saw a Tasty video for chocolate banana bread come up on my Facebook feed and seeing as I had all the ingredients on hand I thought I'd give it a shot (adding some chopped walnuts for good measure)

Have posted pictures of my kitchen (and outdoor kitchen) here and there before. Am super happy with how everything turned out and it's a great space and apartment to cook and entertain in.

View of the whole area and vista as I moved in
1040556_10151620027814364_1896415215_o.jpg

I got my dad and brother to replace the countertops with granite and add a full width tiled backsplash (the family business) which for various reasons I couldn't do before taking possession
11140183_10152382195559364_288332828104143837_o.jpg

Dining table with some (cheap!) antique chairs I got repurposed/recovered (expensive! :( )
11954770_10152650737119364_7664145280044911256_n.jpg

The outdoor kitchen my brother and I built last summer
12647265_10152902038304364_8856381597685537313_n.jpg

Top Bottom