• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

way more

I'm feeling depressed as both work and school take their toll on me. Instead of confronting the problem I have a better idea . . . shopping!!!!! I've forgotten how to cook for fun. Maybe some new tools will help.

sani-tuff-app.jpg

Sani-Tuff Cutting Board. Not glamorous, you say? This is the pinnacle of cutting board technology. It's solid rubber and is thick and weighty. It's a nice sturdy board which will dull your knives half as fast as wood. I'm trying not to buy a 18" x 24" one as it may be too much for an apartment kitchen but this is the last cutting board I will need to buy so why not splurge?

31YQ8D5R1FL._SS500_.jpg

KitchenAid Gourmet Essentials Hard Anodized Nonstick 8-Inch Open French Skillet

I need a omelet pan and this small beauty seems to fit the bill. It was recommended by Cooks Illustrated. I just have to choose between that an this more industry style 8" non-stick.

318ZZ3HQWWL._SS500_.jpg

I was talked out of buying a deep fryer.

41BPQP473FL._SS500_.jpg

I'm instead thinking of buying an electric griddle for properly made pancakes and sliders. I suppose I can wait on that till I really need it.

Now on to knives. I'm still using my 8" Victorinox chef knife and have absolutely no complaints and continue to recommend it as the best knife for everyone.
chef%20knife%20victorinox%2012i.jpg

But I think it's time to get a chef knife with a little more flash. It's down to these two.

img_1208132260_15086_1209194134_mod_529_90.jpg
42736332_10334870_full.jpg

Kanetsune Large Gyuto

Or the Al Mar Ultra Chef 8"
ultra-chef-8-cb.jpg
ALAM-UC8.jpg

Both are awesome. I might just buy have to buy one brands chef and the others 6" santoku. Buying though a kitchen dealer means I get a hell of a discount but there is one thing I need help with. The catalog we have at work is two years old and I know they have new knives and even better stuff on their online site. But you need to be a dealer to see the online catalog and our dealer is too lazy/ far away to deal with that.

Does anyone on GAF have a Blue Ridge Knives account. I just need your help to check out the online catalog.

I also might buy a Kershaw 6600 knife because they are so cheap and I could use a fish knife.

K6621Y.jpg

The handle is some sort of bamboo/plastic blend and I suspect that's all that is in my Shun knife and it feels great.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
do you have a cast-iron dutch oven? very useful kitchen tool that would fulfill the role of a deep fryer, and also allow you to do lots of braises from stovetop to oven, etc.

lodge-dutch-oven-loop.jpg

probably my favorite kitchen tool

way more

beelzebozo said:
do you have a cast-iron dutch oven? very useful kitchen tool that would fulfill the role of a deep fryer, and also allow you to do lots of braises from stovetop to oven, etc.

I've got plenty. I've just heard too many horror stories about deep-frying in a pot to even try.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
don't let 'em freak you out. i do it all the time with an instant read thermometer clipped to the side, and it's cake. sometimes i've got two dutch ovens going at once when i do fish and chips or something.

Yes Boss!

mac,

I'd still go for a quality wood cutting board made of end stock (fairly inexpensive if you avoid things like Boos). The less plastic in the kitchen is always for the better.

Tonight I made some sweet and spicy black-eyed peas. I used jaggery for sweetness. The crumbled paneer on top is my western nod to the queso seco that populates bean dishes on this side of the world.

Simple dish but hearty. I was going to sprout the peas first but that would have taken a few days. Next time.

P1020413.jpg

Yes Boss!

Made a small batch of Butter Paneer Masala. This is the lean version (but just as flavorful) that uses yogurt and oil and cornstarch instead of ghee and cream. Chilled Pickled Mustard carrots make a good condiment since they are so different flavor-wise. Naan is with Ajwan seeds.

P1020424.jpg

Yes Boss!

Also,

Made some single portion cheesecakes. These were fun and the recipe for a full pie gave me about twelve individual servings.

Would like to thank Cosmic Bus for the recipe for the strawberry sauce. I made it extra tart with more lemon then modified it with a little sugar (and a pinch of salt).

Here they are in their water bath:

P1020422.jpg

And a single portion:

P1020426.jpg

Yes Boss!

Ok,

Last dish for tonight...but I work all weekend so won't be able to cook till Tuesday next week. This one is the classic Palak Paneer and I made it from memory since I'm confident the dish is now part of my repertoire. There is an obscene amount of spinach in this one...like a $4 container from Costco, blanched and then blended then cooked in.

Here is the finished dish:

P1020447.jpg

And the steps to make it:

Oil/ghee in a pan. 2 Tablespoons:

P1020433.jpg

Whole Garam Masala (cloves, cinnamon stick, bay leaves, green cardamon) sauted quickly with Hing and Cumin Seed:

P1020434.jpg

Onions are suateed for a a few minutes (also stops the spices from burning) along with salt and then Ginger Garlic paste (50% ginger, 50% garlic blended) is added for thirty seconds along with turmeric:

P1020435.jpg

Four chopped fresh tomatoes added and cooked for five minutes:

P1020436.jpg

Three chopped fresh green chilis added and cooked for a few minutes:

P1020437.jpg

Heaping spoonful of Chili Powder added:

P1020439.jpg

Heaping spoonful of Coriander powder added:

P1020440.jpg

A massive amount of blanched and blended spinach is then added:

P1020442.jpg

Sauce is reduced till oil droplets begin to form at the surface (five to ten minutes):

P1020443.jpg

Dried fenugreek leaves added and simmered for a few minutes:

P1020444.jpg

Added about 1/2 pound of fresh paneer. I use my own and don't need to fry it first since it was just made:

P1020445.jpg

Some heavy cream at the end to enrich. This is optional and quite often I leave it out for health reasons but this is what they do in a restaurant. Dish is done when it comes to a slight boil:

P1020446.jpg

Exhumed

Amazing Yes Boss!

An old roomy of mine was Pakistani so we used to visit his family often and eat this sort of food. I have tried about half the stuff you have posted and its bringing back memories. I should call up his family and see what they are up to.... Excellent food.

Zyzyxxz

beelzebozo said:
friday night around here is pizza night

spicy chorizo pizzo ("a" changed to "o" for effect)

http://i33.tinypic.com/2a5x1l4.jpg[IMG]

pissaladiere

[IMG]http://i36.tinypic.com/20ieuxk.jpg[IMG]

hip-check

[IMG]http://i38.tinypic.com/2d0gfao.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

I finally got the day off from work and I'm just gonna be lazy and order some pizza but I hope its half as good as your pizzas look. Damn waiting tables 12 hours a day can suck haha.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i have a soft spot for the pizza places around here (local chains like giovanni's, melini's, my dad's pizza, and a few others make a pretty decent pie), but if you're looking for pizzas with more interesting ingredients like chorizo, goat cheese, etc., you're pretty out of luck in kentucky.

thus, my passion for homemade pizza making.

Zyzyxxz

beelzebozo said:
i have a soft spot for the pizza places around here (local chains like giovanni's, melini's, my dad's pizza, and a few others make a pretty decent pie), but if you're looking for pizzas with more interesting ingredients like chorizo, goat cheese, etc., you're pretty out of luck in kentucky.

thus, my passion for homemade pizza making.

I've only been in colorado for a little over half a month. I have no idea what to expect but I'm gonna try hole in the wall places unless Pizza Hut and Dominoes is considerably different which I doubt.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
and a nice watch as well ;)
'Dweller?

Great stuff, everybody!
A small announcement: We finally found a new flat, this time with a REAL kitchen. The wife and I will move in around christmas and I promise that I'll return with new dishes again in 2010.
As a reminder, all of my dishes were created in this palace:
smallP1000430.jpg

Zyzyxxz

Congrats OneklC! I hope your new kitchen suits you well!

Why is it gonna take so long to move in though? December is pretty far away.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Zyzyxxz said:
Congrats OneklC! I hope your new kitchen suits you well!

Why is it gonna take so long to move in though? December is pretty far away.
3 months notice for the old flat and not really time to move faster:p

Zyzyxxz said:
I've only been in colorado for a little over half a month. I have no idea what to expect but I'm gonna try hole in the wall places unless Pizza Hut and Dominoes is considerably different which I doubt.

Nicolo's is really good local pizza. Mr Mouth loves their pepperoni pizza because the cheese they use on it is almost chewy. I like the chicken pesto. Beau jo's pizza is popular because they have a million different toppings and different dough styles to pick from. We went with friends who swear by their tofu pizza, I wasn't very impressed but anything is better than Pizza Hut and Dominoes for me.

OnkelC said:
I'll be the one with the big titted blonde and the small redhead with huge cleavage on the table:D
no joke.

I had a O_O moment when I mistakenly read that you would be the big titted blonde :lol At least when GAF demands pictures, you have video.

numble

Three things I made today. They might look somewhat similar, but I swear they're different!

IMG_4951.jpg

Kung Pao Chicken - I made too much sauce, should make less next time--still good.

IMG_4953.jpg

Ma Po Tofu - I was lazy and didn't drain the tofu before cooking it, but it still turned out good.

IMG_4954.jpg

Di San Xian (direct translation would be "The Three Fresh Things?) - It's a dish primarily made with ingredients of potato, Chinese eggplant, and bell pepper. I over-fried the eggplant a bit, but it was still good in the end.

Turns out Swiss cheese works on a gyro pizza, albeit as an interesting character:

-Melts the fastest out of everything so far..shame on you Asagio!
-Above average on oil absorbtion and "grip" on the sauce
-Taste is quite nice...almost milky somehow.
-Doesn't necessarily bite cleanly like the others, which begets the old "stretch then fold back" strategy not unlike somw shitty old Papa John's pizza but for another, more valid, reason entirely. :lol

I reckon with these from here, aside from testing it fully loaded as this was just a basic, and providing the gyro doesn't quite harden up on the edges(unless I eat them just so...), they are likely the best candidate thus far to roll up and then eat as opposed to my manic nibbling and chomping of it holding it flat in the air.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I really miss having a real camera; oh well. I made four-grain pot bread (not that kind of pot, you dummies) between yesterday and today -- the dough had to rise for a few hours in the fridge and then out on the counter over night. Baked in a screaming hot pot (or Dutch oven, if have one) with a lid so it creates a thick, crunchy crust but steam keeps the interior extremely soft and moist.

Picture15.jpg

Picture17.jpg

Picture18.jpg

Picture20.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Hey, you might know: how do you make peanut butter cookies so they come out soft and chewy instead of sandy and crumbly? I made some yesterday that taste fine, but I really prefer the former versus the latter. :\

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
you'll want to use brown sugar--the darker the better--which contains molasses and is hygroscopic--so the cookies will stay more moist for longer. it also helps to use high protein bread flour, where the gluten will help give the cookies a chewy texture that jibes really well with the moistness. finally, my last tip is to be sure to underbake the cookies a little; i take them out about two minutes earlier than common knowledge would dictate and let them finish on the pan outside the heat. cookies are a lot like scrambled eggs in that way: done in the pan/oven, overdone on the plate.

luoapp

numble said:
Three things I made today. They might look somewhat similar, but I swear they're different!

Kung Pao Chicken - I made too much sauce, should make less next time--still good.

Ma Po Tofu - I was lazy and didn't drain the tofu before cooking it, but it still turned out good.

Di San Xian (direct translation would be "The Three Fresh Things?) - It's a dish primarily made with ingredients of potato, Chinese eggplant, and bell pepper. I over-fried the eggplant a bit, but it was still good in the end.

Nice Chinese dishes, numble!

Kung Pao Chicken: a bit watery to my taste, still look good ( and taste good I believe) though.

Ma Po Tofu : Very nice in deed, did you use the packed MaPo Tofu sauce? Next time, try add more chilly to create the authentic Sishu flavor.

Di San Xian: Where did you get the recipe? Originated from North-east China, it's not a common dish in Chinese restaurants outside the country. Di: ground; San: three; Xian: fresh/tasty. The Three Fresh Things from Ground !

Enjoy your meal!:lol

numble

luoapp said:
Nice Chinese dishes, numble!

Kung Pao Chicken: a bit watery to my taste, still look good ( and taste good I believe) though.

Ma Po Tofu : Very nice in deed, did you use the packed MaPo Tofu sauce? Next time, try add more chilly to create the authentic Sishu flavor.

Di San Xian: Where did you get the recipe? Originated from North-east China, it's not a common dish in Chinese restaurants outside the country. Di: ground; San: three; Xian: fresh/tasty. The Three Fresh Things from Ground !

Enjoy your meal!:lol
The Kung Pao Chicken sauce was actually very gunky due to cornstarch--I'd probably halve the sauce next time.

For Ma Po Tofu, I used this recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Ma-Po-Tofu/Detail.aspx
It relies on cayenne pepper for spiciness, which doesn't show up in pictures. Sishu?

The Di San Xian recipe comes from here: http://www.recipelink.com/mf/3/10763

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
Cosmic Bus said:
Hm, I did use brown sugar but just regular unbleached flour. I think I may have baked them a bit too long...

that's the usual culprit. drop your baking time by 2-3 minutes next time, let them cool on a rack, and report back with results. i think it'll make for a drastic difference.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
beelzebozo said:
i spy with my little eye brown sweeping vista of blackberry pie

http://i34.tinypic.com/6eeoev.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
[IMG]http://i73.photobucket.com/albums/i216/OnkelC/01forumpics/69khvb.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom