• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tri_willy

i return to this thread from yet another hiatus since i dont cook much these days. made pad thai (yes, i did post something similar a long time ago).

padthaiingredients.png

here we have: bean sprouts, breast fillet (marinated w/ onion, ginger juice, salt & fish sauce), 2 eggs, onion/garlic, spring onion, basil, fresh shitake & a pad thai paste (yes, i bought a jar from the supermarket since it contained pretty much the crucial ingredients ie. tamarind pulp, shrimp paste, salted radish, tumeric etc.).

padthai.png

quickly stir-fried the chicken with shitake quickly til the chicken was brown. fried off egg quickly and left it on the side. that pretty much is the preparation. ok, on a hot wok, sweated garlic and onion. had rice noodles which were soaked for more than 30 mins and put them on the wok, adding a lil bit of water to create some steam which would additionally help cook the noodles and prevent them sticking to the wok. after tossing the noodles several times until they were nearly well cooked, added the cooked chicken and egg from the side, added the sprouts and the paste & also some tomato sauce. next was tossing the mixture of noodles quickly for a couple of minutes, and for finishing up, added light soy for taste and assembling it on a plate and some coriander for a quick garnish.

ENJOY!

Onkel, what do you think of an offshoot of IronGaf focusing on healthier foods for the guys trying to lose weight? I think it could be an interesting thread, and we can still post the healthy foods here along with the fatty stuff. If we did do an offshoot, the only thing I"d recommend is making sure we all put effort into detailing how to make the food. I've also noticed the guys losing weight have a bad habit of snacking, so maybe we could focus on making healthier, tasty, snack food.

luoapp

obijkenobi said:
Onkel, what do you think of an offshoot of IronGaf focusing on healthier foods for the guys trying to lose weight? I think it could be an interesting thread, and we can still post the healthy foods here along with the fatty stuff. If we did do an offshoot, the only thing I"d recommend is making sure we all put effort into detailing how to make the food. I've also noticed the guys losing weight have a bad habit of snacking, so maybe we could focus on making healthier, tasty, snack food.

If you want to lose weight, don't eat snack, srsly.

Alright guys, first post in this thread, and I'm starting simple, Behold the glory that is College Age Meatball Sandwiches ("Man Sandwiches" my old roommate and I call them)!

First, start with some veggies to add to the mix. I used onions, mushrooms, and yellow peppers. Chop them up nice and neat and toss them in the frying pan with some butter/margarine/olive oil/ whatever you use:
0909202047000.jpg

0909202050000.jpg

Let the veggies start to fry, after a couple of minutes start the meatballs in the microwave. I recommend using homestyle meatballs, as they are larger and offer a little more meat. Also at this point, add some tomato sauce to the mix. My personal favorite is President's Choice Roasted Garlic, pictured here:
0909202048000.jpg

0909202052000.jpg

Once the meatballs are cooked, add them into the mix. I cut the meatballs in half so that there's a flat side to put on the bread, and because otherwise there would be too much meat per sandwich. 3 balls (6 halves) will cover a piece of bread nicely. Start toasting the bread and leave the mix on low heat while you wait for the bread to toast, then toss it on there and dig in:
0909202054000.jpg

0909202058000.jpg

0909202058001.jpg

Disclaimer: Please bring a fork for cleanup, as these can get quite messy, especially if you make 2 at a time. By the time you start the second sandwich, the bread tends to be softened up:
0909202103002.jpg

Like I said, nice and easy, and quick too (total time in kitchen ~12-15 minutes).

Yes Boss!

obijkenobi said:

Huh?

The bulk of the stuff that appears here is extremely well-rounded and healthful. Like somebody above said, three meals a day (breakfast a must), no snacking and light exercise a few days a week.

Flo said:

Aw, nice! I've always wanted a yard to grow veggies in but for now, just herbs and tomatoes in containers for me.

I made this pasta with the tomatoes and basil from my containers:
3930249889_e839a2cd40.jpg

Not cooked by me, but ordered this spicy lamb dish at a Hunan (province in China) restaurant last week and it rocked my pants off. It was so garlicky and spicy that I couldn't stop eating it, but I definitely paid for it later, if you know what I mean, haha.
3930249811_7f77640f70.jpg

^ How spicy do you like your food, because those peppers look like they pack a lot of heat.

This is what I usually do:

To start off, I would take 2 or 3 peppers, cut off the stem, and cut them in half vertically and scrape out the seeds. Put a few tsp of cooking oil in a wok and throw the chillis in to toss them. Beware of the stinging, burning fume of chilli smoke that comes out. Then, throw in some sliced green onions and minced garlic. Lastly, throw in some bite-sized veggies (chopped broccoli, for example) and toss to coat in the flavorful chili+garlic+green onion oil. Sprinkle on some salt, cook till tender.

You can also smash them with a mortar and pestle with some whole spices to make a paste.

Or slice them (seed and all) and submerge them in some vinegar + oil to make chili sauce. Never tried this one, but I've seen it in thai restaurants.

mrkgoo

Brianemone said:
What sauce is that buddy?
It's plain Heinz ketchup. Had I a choice, it would be Watties.

Last night I made Thai cold salid rolls. I don't have any images of the finished product (maybe I can make one tonight for some pics), but they are healthy and super delicious.

You need rice paper wrappers and whatever you want to put in, but I used:

green lettuce
bean sprouts
rice vermicelli
tofu
fresh coriander
fresh basil
fresh mint

Making your own sauce would be best, but I settled for some bought Thai chilli and some peanut sauce, mostly because I probably wouldn't use te fish sauce all that much.

A friend gave me a large bag of fresh-picked wild chanterelle mushrooms, tha j have never tried before, so um dying to go home to try them.

mrkgoo said:
It's plain Heinz ketchup. Had I a choice, it would be Watties.

A friend gave me a large bag of fresh-picked wild chanterelle mushrooms, tha j have never tried before, so um dying to go home to try them.

Are you in NZ? I had no idea you could get fresh chanterelle's here.

Quake1028

Yes Boss! said:
Huh?

The bulk of the stuff that appears here is extremely well-rounded and healthful. Like somebody above said, three meals a day (breakfast a must), no snacking and light exercise a few days a week.

Agreed about the thread. Some people (like me), eat 5-6 smaller meals throughout the day instead of 3 bigger ones. Works for some, not for others.

mrkgoo

Brianemone said:
Are you in NZ? I had no idea you could get fresh chanterelle's here.
Whoops, sorry, I'm on the pacific west coast of USA.

Missing some stuff though. Would love a potato top pie.

I bought a SINGLE feijoa, yes, one, for us$4 earlier in the year. Shame, because the rest of their stock was thrown away because most people didn't know what they were and they were ridiculously expensive anyway.

J. M. Romeo said:
Anyway, which spices should I use for the paste? Any ideas?

If you're going to grind or mortar+pestle them, I suggest:
garlic
szechuan peppercorn (different than western peppercorn)
kosher salt

The szechuan peppercorn will give the paste a unique mouth-numbing taste that goes really well with the heat of the spicy peppers.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I made food again.

11jmzwp.jpg

Real simple, potatoes need something but I don't really have anything. Sour Cream would be nice... (Used some chive cream cheese instead, close enough)
They are just fried in butter, meatballs are from a bag (but surprisingly really good)

mrkgoo

I tried to make a Thai Salad Roll to get a pic, but it split on me. Still delicious though. Sorry, no pics.

So as I said, a friend gave me a harvest of wild chanterelles he picked. I haven't tried them before, so I thought I'd keep it simple - kind of lightly stirred with a bit of salt and pepper in its own juices.

For those interested in a lighter flavoured cooking oil, you can't go wrong with grapeseed. delicate flavour, supposed health benefits of a 'good oil', and a high smoking point means it really suited to frying and cooking (unlike olive oil which smokes really quickly).

Yes Boss!

Made some Chana Masala with Yogurt Chutney and fried Puri (an unleavened wheat flat bread). The yogurt chutney was extremely good: dry toasted raw chana dal ground together with fried cumin and mustard seed along with dried red pepper then all stirred into yogurt with a bit of salt and lemon juice...goes heavenly with fried bread.

P1020389.jpg

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yes Boss! said:
Made some Chana Masala with Yogurt Chutney and fried Puri (an unleavened wheat flat bread). The yogurt chutney was extremely good: dry toasted raw chana dal ground together with fried cumin and mustard seed along with dried red pepper then all stirred into yogurt with a bit of salt and lemon juice...goes heavenly with fried bread.

P1020389.jpg
Can I ask you to cook for me and mail it?

I looked at this last night and I wanted nothing else more in the world. :lol

Exhumed

Ok here is a submission. After unpacking from the move I thought Id make some soft tacos.

Just some taco seasoned beef, white sharp cheddar, black olives, hot suace, and a spinach/lettuce mix rolled in a small flour tortilla.

Here is the end result.

DSCN0593.jpg

Tuvoc

CrystalGemini said:
Went to Walnut Avenue Cafe in Santa Cruz with the boyfriend today and had THIS:

Shrimp and Tomato Benedict

omg it was sooo good.... :9

That sounds amazing. I have to try this. Was it just English muffin, shrimp, chopped tomato, poached egg, hollandaise sauce, and parsley?

Exhumed

I completely forgot I had taken pictures of this one. Here is a version of an OnkelC inspired dish. The family loved it in the end and now i make it regularly.

DSCN0520.jpg

DSCN0519.jpg

DSCN0521.jpg

DSCN0523.jpg

DSCN0524.jpg

DSCN0525.jpg

DSCN0526.jpg

DSCN0527.jpg

The bacon was topped at the end, ended up being a delightful crunch of flavor.

Yes Boss!

Bought a flat of strawberries to make a cheescake. Anybody have a good recipe for a strawberry topping? Planning on using Alton Brown's cheesecake recipe.

P1020383.jpg

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Yes Boss! said:
Bought a flat of strawberries to make a cheescake. Anybody have a good recipe for a strawberry topping?

Berries are pretty easy to prep for topping: hull and halve (or quarter, depending on how large they are) the strawberries, put about half of them into a sauce pan with a couple tablespoons of lemon juice and turn the heat on medium-high. Mash them up as they soften, and add some corn starch slurry (a couple pinches of corn starch mixed into ¼ cup of warm water) and stir until the berries have broken down and it's taken on a mostly thick, saucey consistency. At that point, just drop the heat to low and toss in the rest of the berries; they'll soften a little but retain their shape while getting coated with the mixture. Let it cool and you're done.

If these are decent strawberries, you shouldn't need to add any sugar at all.

Yes Boss!

Cosmic Bus said:
Berries are pretty easy to prep for topping: hull and halve (or quarter, depending on how large they are) the strawberries, put about half of them into a sauce pan with a couple tablespoons of lemon juice and turn the heat on medium-high. Mash them up as they soften, and add some corn starch slurry (a couple pinches of corn starch mixed into ¼ cup of warm water) and stir until the berries have broken down and it's taken on a mostly thick, saucey consistency. At that point, just drop the heat to low and toss in the rest of the berries; they'll soften a little but retain their shape while getting coated with the mixture. Let it cool and you're done.

If these are decent strawberries, you shouldn't need to add any sugar at all.

Thanks.

I did not know if I needed to add sugar or not. I'm guessing not since they seem pretty ripe and stuff. I'll do as you said. My idea is to make two cheesecakes and then to slice them and put them in the freezer with the berry sauce in the fridge when I want a slice for the next few weeks. Is lemon zest a good idea for the sauce...I usually put that in with my blueberries.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Lemon zest certainly wouldn't hurt! I'd probably put it in at the very end so it doesn't get "lost" in the sauce.

Now I want to make the lemon pound cake I did a couple of summers ago; topped it with mascarpone and a blackberry compote. Hoist the Nom Flag, gentlemen.

Zyzyxxz

Damn this page is on fire!

So much good food! I'm so jealous that even though I have a professional chinese kitchen at my disposal since I work in a restaurant now, I don't have any time to cook at all much less even take a picture.

mrkgoo

Yummy stuff guys. I'll have to try some stuff at a later date.

I still have a plethora of Chanterelles.

Tonight, Creamy Chanterelle Soup. I've perhaps posted this here before, but never with Chanterelles. I like soup, but I hate using a blender (I'm just lazy to clean it), but mushroom soup doesn't require a blender.

500g Mushrooms (sliced)
1 medium onion (chopped)
1 cup chicken (or vegetable) broth/stock
2 cups milk (regular if you want more creamy, but I have used 1% with success)
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour

1) Melt butter in a pot.
2) Cook onions and mushrooms together on medium-to-high heat, until onions are clear.
3) Add flour, and continue to cook for ~1 minute - don't let flour stick. Drop to medium heat if necessary.
4) Add stock/broth and bring to bubbling, stirring often.
5) Gradually add milk (maybe 1/3 cup at a time), bringing to simmer with stirring each time.
6) Once all added, add the 1/2 tsp salt, and pepper to taste.
7) Cook for 5 minutes, or until the soup slightly thickens.

8) serve with parsley and toast.

(serves 3-4)

For some variety and a bit of extra-ness, add some lemon juice, chives, or pearled barley during cooking.

mrkgoo

Fuzyfrog said:
NZ sucks you cant get anything here.

You can get feijoas less than $6 for a single one. In fact, during season in NZ, feijoas are pretty much free. You find them on dropping off trees, and your buds bring you shopping bags full for free.

You can get green-lipped mussels.

You can get Marmite.

You can get meat pies.

Fuzyfrog

All things i love.

I also love all the wild venison and whitebait i just got :D

Hmm if i can find a camera ill post pics of my whitebait patties.

mrkgoo said:
You can get Marmite.

You can get meat pies.

If you really want some Marmite I can send you some. But seriously, Vegemite FTW.

I'm finding it really hard to track down some food additives here, Methyl Cellulose, Tapioca Maltodextrin etc etc.

Yes Boss!

Made cabbage/besan dumplings in a nice flavorful tomato gravy that was further defined by besan in the roux. I used my chana dal yogurt chutney as dressing. Spicy...a few chiles in the dumplings and a few in the gravy.

P1020403.jpg

Jefklak

Yess Boss, every single post of yours makes me hungry :D
I bet your stomach is made out of concrete, with all that hot stuff - every single time I spot at least one green thai chili!

I didn't really cook anything special or worth mentionning lately, on holiday mostly light pasta/rice stuff with basic ingredients. I'm still struggling with my new bread baking machine. Tried bread with
- honey & some sugar
- thyme, marinated olive oil + garlic
- pumpkin seeds & more salt

Any more ideas? I still feel like something is missing in the "basic" recipe.
Been mixing with white and wholemeat flour (3/4, 1/4) etc.

Flo, I'd love to get the full recipe for that apple pie! Looks jummyjummy.
Nice statistics OnkelC, looks like I need to contribute more.

mrkgoo

Brianemone said:
If you really want some Marmite I can send you some. But seriously, Vegemite FTW.

I'm finding it really hard to track down some food additives here, Methyl Cellulose, Tapioca Maltodextrin etc etc.

To tell you the truth, I prefer vegemite also (don't tell the Australians). Less sweet, and a bit saltier. Have you tried UK Marmite? Even better. The flavour of marmite, but the saltiness of vegemite. The best of both worlds (It's what I have at the moment).

Zyzyxxz: Thanks, dude! Chanterelles are really good. These were picked by a work colleague. Was slightly worried that one looked a bit different from the rest (nothing like a different species, just had some weird growth on it), but I threw it in anyway, and it was ok.

To be honest, I think the soup is not as flavourful as regular button or portebello mushrooms, but the colour is more appealing (yellow, not grey :lol). It's milder so maybe more suited for people who don't like the really strong flavour you get with well cooked mushrooms. The stir-fry, however, was pretty good. The mushrooms have a really great texture.

To me, food texture is just as important as taste.

Flo

Jefklak said:
Flo, I'd love to get the full recipe for that apple pie! Looks jummyjummy.
For the base I used the cheapest package from the supermarket, then I filled it with sour apples, some sugar and some cinnamon. It is topped with a mixture of rolled oats (50g), flour (35g), brown sugar (60g) and butter (50g).
Oh and always put bread crumbs on the bottom of the shape, before you put the dough in. And punch some holes in the bottom of the dough when you've put it in. This way you have a better crust instead of a wet mushy bottom!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
That was the first time I'd made soup, too. It's relatively hard to mess up, to be honest; just taste as you go and remember that if it seems to be getting too thick or too thin, you can always add a little extra liquid or a couple of chunks of reserved potato to correct this.

mrkgoo

Cosmic Bus said:
That was the first time I'd made soup, too. It's relatively hard to mess up, to be honest; just taste as you go and remember that if it seems to be getting too thick or too thin, you can always add a little extra liquid or a couple of chunks of reserved potato to correct this.

That recipes looks good, but as I mentioned earlier, I am a convenience cooker - the blending step doesn't do it for me, so I tend to avoid soups.

mrkgoo said:
To tell you the truth, I prefer vegemite also (don't tell the Australians). Less sweet, and a bit saltier. Have you tried UK Marmite? Even better. The flavour of marmite, but the saltiness of vegemite. The best of both worlds (It's what I have at the moment).

I've only had vegemite once, but I have a jar of marmite in my kitchen cupboard. I think I like the consistency of marmite better. Don't tell anyone, but sometimes when I want to quickly add some savoriness to soup or broth, I stir in a tsp of marmite. WORKS WONDERS.

It's also good with peanut butter.

etiolate

Banned
Chicken Saltim-etiolate or something

Originally suggested to me by CrystalGemini, I decided the original recipe was kind of boring.
So I made some changes that felt right to me.

Chicken breast
Bacon
Papaya(cut into spears)
twig of rosemary
Thai Basil leaves
Dried basil leaves
White wine(pinot)
buttaaaah

Butterflied the chicken breast, wrapped bacon around the outside, placed papaya spears inside, along with thai basil leaves and set it to pan fry in butter, white wine and the skins leftover from the papaya.

8229_614370974088_60710639_35342711_6060328_n.jpg

As you may see, the first chicken wrapped well, while the other breast was flimsy.

Finished Product:

8229_614370984068_60710639_35342713_6850044_n.jpg

Looks to be new cheese adventure time with the Gyro Pizzas a time or so this week(tonight for one of them)...I shall relate how they work out afterwards! I do believe I'm going to have to dash up a topping checklist of sorts to keep track of and plot progress. The lineup this time is some thinly sliced Swiss and the below cheese of some controversy.

Though, for my suspicion, would it be LIKELY for a package of shredded Monterrey Jack to cost nigh double what a generally comparably sized package of shredded Mozzarella cheese would go for? Even if both are of differing companies, I'm inclined to guess no. Mom suspects somebody pulled something with the stickers but she didn't catch it in time...

Also, in keeping with my bread centric experimental bouts which I could use suggestions, I've come to discover that Potato Chive Cheddar Rolls are quite nice and well worth trying(making somehow?...) should the chance avail itself to you. Rosemary Ciabatto isn't a slouch either really. Will try a bacon sandwich with the Sourdough slices at some point this week or so.

Edit: I'm in awe right now. Forget everything you ever thought you knew about pizza, or at least gyro pizza, for as it turns out abundantly clear to me now---Monterey Jack cheese utterly triumphs over Mozzarella to a ridiculous degree. It melts better/slightly faster. It absorbs better. It mixed just fine versus plain and fully loaded with the spices/herb butter/A1. It "holds" to the sauce to where I didn't have a single instance of any of it falling out onto the plate when I took a nibble or bite. All these years I was convinced that Mozzarella was the general standard on account of that being the common staple across a great many pizza places---now I question whether or not groupthink somewhere along the line for at least some of them prevented experimenting in this direction.

Only "negative" is that this particular pack...once of those shredded Horizon reduced Fat dealies...seems to make only about 3 servings to my tastes versus wringing 4 solidish ones out of the Mozzarella packs.

The Swiss, likely on Saturday, now has something of a mountain to climb not so unlike the Asagio. I'll probably finish off the Monterey Jack in a fully loaded round 1 then round off the meal with a stock standard Swiss...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom