• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The chips are the triangle shapes for reference----meat you are seeing is the same old package of heavily peppered salame I've been using for ages now, finally about done and will be on something fresh next week!

Talon

The chips are the triangle shapes for reference----meat you are seeing is the same old package of heavily peppered salame I've been using for ages now, finally about done and will be on something fresh next week!
Ah. I seem to recall that you put corn puffs on your pizza a couple times, but maybe I'm misremembering.

Again, your naan pizza posts are the most consistent thing on this forum!

Nope you've got it right---all manner of things have been had thus with the pizzas in the nebulous "crumble" category, sometimes eaten on the side and other times crushed up by hand to become something of an additional coarse seasoning/oil absorber to varying nifty effects. Lately I opt for pics of the thing in question on whole form as most things pulverized tend to look the same and/or sometimes obscured the look of the cheese and whatnot.

Heh, I'm early today on account of getting to attend my first ever BBQ Festival/Competition thing this coming Saturday....as only now is my part of GA seeming to slowly get some good food events. The plan is to show up in the afternoon, pay cursory attention to whatever events and live music is happening, then eat as much good BBQ as I can possibly find with just some light smattering of something for dinner once we get back.

Talon

Nope you've got it right---all manner of things have been had thus with the pizzas in the nebulous "crumble" category, sometimes eaten on the side and other times crushed up by hand to become something of an additional coarse seasoning/oil absorber to varying nifty effects. Lately I opt for pics of the thing in question on whole form as most things pulverized tend to look the same and/or sometimes obscured the look of the cheese and whatnot.

Heh, I'm early today on account of getting to attend my first ever BBQ Festival/Competition thing this coming Saturday....as only now is my part of GA seeming to slowly get some good food events. The plan is to show up in the afternoon, pay cursory attention to whatever events and live music is happening, then eat as much good BBQ as I can possibly find with just some light smattering of something for dinner once we get back.
Georgia? No way, I'm from there as well. What part? And where's the BBQ Festival?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Have been dialing back the carbs in the diet for the last week and a half, so lots of chicken and steak recently. Here was dinner tonight - filet steak on fried sweet chilli mushrooms, baby spinach and garlic.

576275_10150916963364364_722181900_n.jpg

Made a veggie lasagna the other day:

rn53K.jpg

I had some fresh left-over lasagne sheets that I couldn't really save because they'd go stale, so I just cut them up and made a quick mushroom with left-over white sauce from the lasagne and tagliatelle:

whmZo.jpg

Raspberry Meringues with Chocolatecream

raspmeringue.jpg

raspmeringue2.jpg

raspmeringue3.jpg

I had some awful lighting inside so I had to place the plate on the lawn to get some better results XD

This is the first time I have a go with meringues. I made two batches and the first one came out with the perfect consistency, but the nice pink color from the rapsberries were lost. The other batch I didn't bake them for as long, which gave them the perfect color, but they got very sticky overnight (these are the ones pictured).

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Wish I had a nice camera, but cell phone pics will have to suffice.

Almond cake layered with saffron mousse and candied peaches, tinted white chocolate spray, and some white chocolate and macaron decor.

Ladyfinger cake with vanilla bean mousse and a black currant gelee, macarons, chocolate and berries.

A birthday cake that was ordered for some folks at the restaurant last night. They only asked for a "big chocolate cake" so... Devil's food, whipped chocolate ganache filling and frosting, dark chocolate glaze, rum cherries and vanilla sugar brisee cookies as decor.

dyonPT

Care to share the recipe? :p

yeahm that's it! :) Thanks!
You can press on the flag on the right to translate :)

Raspberry Meringues with Chocolatecream

raspmeringue3.jpg

Damn...love those Meringes!

Made a veggie lasagna the other day:

whmZo.jpg

Looks awesome! Delicious also :)

Almond cake layered with saffron mousse and candied peaches, tinted white chocolate spray, and some white chocolate and macaron decor.

Ladyfinger cake with vanilla bean mousse and a black currant gelee, macarons, chocolate and berries.

A birthday cake that was ordered for some folks at the restaurant last night. They only asked for a "big chocolate cake" so... Devil's food, whipped chocolate ganache filling and frosting, dark chocolate glaze, rum cherries and vanilla sugar brisee cookies as decor.

Those cakes are perfect!! Love the last one :)

Sunday supper was made from mostly leftovers from the week:

8089053103_f43bca0a05.jpg

Tomato soup, roasted broccoli, baked potatoes.

Matsutake season seems to be here now. Made a simple pasta with wilted arugula and topped with pan-seared matsutake:

Zyzyxxz

Matsutake season seems to be here now. Made a simple pasta with wilted arugula and topped with pan-seared matsutake:

That looks like $10-15 worth of matsutakes right there and it looks like you picked some good ones. Hmm I better hurry up and get a few before the season is over.

thespot84

would xiao long bao be something I could make edible after a couple tries without too much chinese specific culinary knowledge? If i could make that stuff myself i would never leave the house.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I would imagine it would be more time consuming than difficult, seeing as how the process follows the same stages as making wonton (dough (can buy prepackaged) -> filling -> fold -> steam), but is further complicated by the broth gelatin and the pleated top.

On the other hand, you can turn it into a group activity and make tons, then freeze the rest.

thespot84

I would imagine it would be more time consuming than difficult, seeing as how the process follows the same stages as making wonton (dough (can buy prepackaged) -> filling -> fold -> steam), but is complicated by the filling and the pleated top.

On the other hand, you can turn it into a group activity and make tons, then freeze the rest.

Excellent idea on the group activity. We've done calzone parties before that turned out awesome (host buys/makes dough, everyone else brings whatever ingredients they want).

That looks like $10-15 worth of matsutakes right there and it looks like you picked some good ones. Hmm I better hurry up and get a few before the season is over.

It wasn't too expensive. I bought about 3 times as much as shown for $9. These must not be from Japan or something because it was only $60/lb.

I would imagine it would be more time consuming than difficult, seeing as how the process follows the same stages as making wonton (dough (can buy prepackaged) -> filling -> fold -> steam), but is further complicated by the broth gelatin and the pleated top.

I doubt you can buy the dough pre-packaged. If you're going to be making xlb, the easiest part is the dough, so might as well make that by hand. It's just flour, water, and maybe a little salt and sugar. But yeah, I imagine the broth gelatin would be time consuming to make and there's no skipping that step since that's what gives it the characteristic soupiness.

The dish is so cheap at restaurants around here, I usually just order that instead of trying to make it myself.

Corto

Ok. I'm ready to show off my birthday present to myself. hehehehe

I bought a fresh pasta machine and been experimenting with different doughs/flours before I could show off to you guys. here we go:

Fresh Tagliatelle with a tomato, mushroom and chorizo sauce. I've incorporated some parsley, garlic paste and pesto on the dough.

Fresh pasta is excellent. The texture is perfect and it just absorbs the sauce flavor. Totally happy with my buy. And after a few tries I can now make it in a hurry.

Darkangus

I bought a fresh pasta machine and been experimenting with different doughs/flours before I could show off to you guys. here we go:

Fresh Tagliatelle with a tomato, mushroom and chorizo sauce. I've incorporated some parsley, garlic paste and pesto on the dough.

Fresh pasta is excellent. The texture is perfect and it just absorbs the sauce flavor. Totally happy with my buy. And after a few tries I can now make it in a hurry.

Hi Corto, where have you bought the pasta machine?
Physical store or online shopping? I'm on the market for one and I would like to know.
farinha branca de neve? ;)

Nice purchase and nice pasta! Did the garlic paste and pesto change the texture of the pasta at all? I'd be afraid of making it too soft.

7aged

OK IronGAF, here's a stupidly simple question that has been annoying me for a while:

How the hell do you peel a hard boiled egg?

I'm serious. I have real problems with this.

What often happens is that the membrane underneath the shell gets stuck to the white and pulls little chunks off as I peel the shell off. In the end I get a gnarly looking egg. What am I doing wrong?

joe2187

Banned
OK IronGAF, here's a stupidly simple question that has been annoying me for a while:

What often happens is that the membrane underneath the shell gets stuck to the white and pulls little chunks off as I peel the shell off. In the end I get a gnarly looking egg. What am I doing wrong?

I'm not sure if it does anything really, but I've always dropped in a tablespoon of vinegar into the boiling water with the eggs, also the key to properly peeling an hard boiled egg is to cool it down, throw it in a bowl filled with ice and water for 30 seconds and peel away

Corto

Hi Corto, where have you bought the pasta machine?
Physical store or online shopping? I'm on the market for one and I would like to know.
farinha branca de neve? ;)

Hi there fellow "portuguesean" hehehe

Yes. I bought it on a culinary hardware physical store at Braga. 75€

Amazon.co.uk has the same exact model for 58,69£

And yes. I used Farinha Branca de Neve. hehehe I tried corn flour expecting a nice yellow color but the dough was not elastic enough, it just created small crumbles.

Nice purchase and nice pasta! Did the garlic paste and pesto change the texture of the pasta at all? I'd be afraid of making it too soft.

I add just a bit as I was scared to make it too elastic and then the machine wouldn't cut it nicely. But I found out with my "experiments" that a more dry dough is perfect to spaghetti as the machine will cut it much easier. So if I was trying to make spaghetti I would remove the garlic paste and the pesto just in case. But I'm not through with my experiments though. hehehe I still have to make raviolis and lasagna. I need to get a ravioli cutter...

edit: as for the "bite" of the pasta, it was great. It was really al dente as I cooked it for only 3-4 minutes, but it was really smooth and shinny.

Haly

Try throwing it into some cold water, so that the shell shrinks and the expanded volume of the egg white helps "push off" the shell as you're peeling.*

*Not sure if this is actually what's happening

7aged

What I normally do is take the pan off the hob, pour the hot water down the sink and fill up with cold water. Maybe I need to shock it in an ice bath?

It's a shame because otherwise I've got the cooking just right. The whites are not rubbery and the yoke is dark and barely set.

DJ_Lae

I've also heard older eggs peel better. Never really paid enough attention to know if that's true, although I will say that some times eggs peel so damn easy and other times I have to carefully pick off shard after shard with each one yanking some egg white off leaving me with this deformed monstrosity of a hard boiled egg.

Often within the same batch of boiled eggs, all cooled the same way after I cook them. It's maddening.

7aged

I've also heard older eggs peel better. Never really paid enough attention to know if that's true, although I will say that some times eggs peel so damn easy and other times I have to carefully pick off shard after shard with each one yanking some egg white off leaving me with this deformed monstrosity of a hard boiled egg.

Often within the same batch of boiled eggs, all cooled the same way after I cook them. It's maddening.

That is the exact same experience as me. This last batch was left in the fridge for a week before cooking them. I only managed to cleanly peel 1 out of 3. The others had little bits of white broken off.

Corto

I take the egg out of the boiling water with a spoon and put it under running cold tap water a few seconds until the surface cools. I then roll the egg between my hands gently pressing to crack the egg shell. The shell will then start to peel almost by itself. If there are little bits of shell still adhered to the egg surface just put it again under the running tap water to wash them off.

I can't believe no one has posted this yet:

(blow on an egg to peel it) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSR9Z1H0ycs&feature=related

Disclaimer: I always try doing this and it never works. Either that guy has better blowing power than I do, or my eggs are super stuck.

I usually just take the egg out of the boiling water with a slotted spoon, run under cold water, roll till the shell cracks, and then peel like everyone else does.

Haly

I would probably run out of breath after 2 eggs.

neocoder

Banned
A couple of nights ago, I made my youngest daughter's favorite recipe - Chicken Pot Pie. This one is from Cooks Illustrated and is named Skillet Chicken Pot Pie. It is a bit labor intensive but it's quite good since it has lots of vegetables. I recently went to some sort of benefit dinner where they also served chicken pot pie but it was nasty - just chicken and some sort of funky gravy.

Here's the pie before it goes into the oven.
ofOeX.jpg

Fresh out of the oven.
SSA9E.jpg

Individual serving.
J6R6V.jpg

The recipe calls for a single top crust but I double it and have a bottom crust. You can never have too much crust.

Earlier tonight, I made Chicken Tikka Masala which is also from Cooks Illustrated.
This recipe is a bit easier than the pot pie. The only tricky aspect is coating the chicken with this yogurt mixture and broiling it. It's tricky only because it's a pain to clean the cookie rack afterwards. Here's a photo of the broiled chicken:
kUYlu.jpg

The yogurt mixture is the key to giving the chicken a goof flavor and keeping the inside very moist.

Here's the chicken tikka masala cooking in my favorite pot, Le Creuset 7qt round dutch oven. It's 15 years old and still looks great.
HIB5g.jpg

An individual portion:
Erf1L.jpg

I still remember the first few times I served Tikka Masala to my daughters when they were young (like 7 & 4). Their immediate reaction? "Uggh, it's disgusting". Yes, I've heard that many times. Now that they're 12 & 9, they're much better about most of the stuff I make. They're more appreciative of my cooking after going to their relatives' or friends' house.

do you have one of those crazy freezing tables?

EDIT: Also, this is awesome.
Haha have no idea what they are, so no. Sounds crazy indeed :p

Germany, Australia, Florida ?

I'm guessing you used a silicone mat
Nope, just baking paper. First time ever making caramel decorations.

Also I'm not sure about the name. Here in Denmark we call it Vanilla Fromage. It consists of vanilla, sugar, whipped cream, whipped,egg whites, and gelatin. Don't know why it's called Fromage when it has nothing to do with cheese... So I accidentially translated it into Fromage Frais.

Shawsie64

Banned

Do you have a pressure cooker? If so your troubles are solved. Pressure cooked eggs are so much easier to peel.

I have an electric pressure cooker. I put the eggs in and set the timer for 2 mins soft boiled, 5 mins medium and 7 mins hard boiled. When they are done I simple crack the shell with a spoon and twist either end of the egg. Shell comes away in 2 clean pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom