• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Milchjon

vegan? ovo/ovo-lacto vegetarian? pesco-vegetarian?

and why? medical reasons?

Just good ol' ovo-lacto vegetarian I guess.

As for reasons, this may sound weird, but I just can't personally handle the fact that a living creature is killed for a little pleasure on my side. Like I said, I love meat, but I just can't handle it philosophically.

I'm 25, pretty healthy, not fat, and I'm slowly turning into a hippie. What the hell is wrong with me :-D

But I don't think my reasons have to apply to anybody else, therefore they aren't really of importance, I guess.

Hm, if I smell something really good from meat, I think to myself "That animal died for me for what cost?"
That's one tip if you are tempted with meat again.

Something to consider, is going to the freezer section of the grocery store, they have a lot of fake meats that make the process a little easier.
(Key is moderation however, since fake meat substitutes are loaded with sodium).
I don't recommend going "cold turkey" on meat, chances are you'll go back to meat if you drop everything out of the blue.
Make it a gradual process, by eliminating meat from a meal a week and replacing them with balanced foods.

Depending if you're going to be lacto-ovo or ovo, you can still have milk which is in itself good protein.
Focus on lentils, beans, legumes, rice noodles (I didn't know they had so much protein in just one serving!), daal and even tofu assuming you prepare it right.
A basic rice and beans recipe can be a complete balanced protein.

Cool, thanks!

I'll report back when I drop it ;-)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
More power to you, meat is too good for me to miss out on (and healthy).

Anyone have any good curry/thai sauce recipes? Currently I've been in the habit of making some meat, adding a bag of frozen veggies, then making some kind of sauce. This week I did a basic coconut milk + curry paste (red) + brown sugar sauce and it was decent. Would like to expand a bit.

Yes Boss!

So, I'm finally taking the plunge to try to become vegetarian.

The thing is, I LOVE meat. Like half my diet is based on meat products.

I'll first do a test run. Did one a few years ago for a week and couldn't stand it, but I'll try to do better this time.

So, how do I make this easier for me? Any tips from vegetarians in here?

What are some protein rich vegetarian options?

If you LOVE meat then why stop ?!

I'm not a vegetarian but I will go for stretches or even a year without meat.

Key for me is spice. Also, switch to all fresh produce...usually cooked and reduced to complex flavor.

Yeah, don't go cold-turkey. Knock out beef first, then pork, then chicken, then finally fish.

Also, look to ethnic cuisines for inspiration. Lots of good vegetarian stuff from africa, middle east, southwest asia.

Collete

But I don't think my reasons have to apply to anybody else, therefore they aren't really of importance, I guess.

Cool, thanks!

We'll see, good luck! :p

Key for me is spice. Also, switch to all fresh produce...usually cooked and reduced to complex flavor.

Yeah, don't go cold-turkey. Knock out beef first, then pork, then chicken, then finally fish.

Also, look to ethnic cuisines for inspiration. Lots of good vegetarian stuff from africa, middle east, southwest asia.

This is good advice, also one more thing to add, if you have the time, go visit an Asian grocery store.
"Usually" they have cheaper produce there and sometimes sell them in bulk as well.
There's also a good portion of products directed towards vegetarians (but make sure to read the labels!)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef

As for reasons, this may sound weird, but I just can't personally handle the fact that a living creature is killed for a little pleasure on my side. Like I said, I love meat, but I just can't handle it philosophically.

I'm 25, pretty healthy, not fat, and I'm slowly turning into a hippie. What the hell is wrong with me :-D

Cool, thanks!

Legit reason.
There's a (new?) brand of meat substitute based on milk on the market here called "valess". manufacturer is campina, a dutch company.
Apart from that, I would substitute meat with dairy products and eggs, i'd prefer a good helping of cheese over some low-grade meat anytime ;)
please keep us posted on your cooking adventures in the process.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
So, I'm finally taking the plunge to try to become vegetarian.

The thing is, I LOVE meat. Like half my diet is based on meat products.

I'll first do a test run. Did one a few years ago for a week and couldn't stand it, but I'll try to do better this time.

So, how do I make this easier for me? Any tips from vegetarians in here?

What are some protein rich vegetarian options?
My rents are mostly vegan. Cuz of religious reasons my dad only eats chicken and on rare opportunity turkey. Because of this I don't eat that much meat, and I hate it. If you love meat than continue to eat it. Just mind where it came from.

Collete

Legit reason.
There's a (new?) brand of meat substitute based on milk on the market here called "valess". manufacturer is campina, a dutch company.
Apart from that, I would substitute meat with dairy products and eggs, i'd prefer a good helping of cheese over some low-grade meat anytime ;)
please keep us posted on your cooking adventures in the process.

I haven't heard of this!
I wonder if I can find it in the states...

Looking at the main website, it looked really nice!

wyiUh.jpg

Natetan

Cool, thanks!

I was a strict vegetarian from about 16 until 25 or so when I started eating seafood again and then poultry a couple years after that.

I went cold turkey and it wasn't that hard for me anyway. I just remember looking in the fridge at some chicken pasta salad and said "nope I'm done here" and went vegetarian.

More than getting fake meats, learn to love vegetables. Most vegetarian food in the us isnt that great: it's either really hippie lentils etc stuff or meat substitute. Learn how to prepare vegetables in a good way. I never missed meat when I was vegetarian except maybe tacos.
I only stated because brig strict vegetarian in Japan is hard: you always have to explain it and there's so much seafood here.

Think of it as an opportunity to explore different foods. I always enjoy that part of it.

thespot84

I was a strict vegetarian from about 16 until 25 or so when I started eating seafood again and then poultry a couple years after that.

I went cold turkey and it wasn't that hard for me anyway. I just remember looking in the fridge at some chicken pasta salad and said "nope I'm done here" and went vegetarian.

More than getting fake meats, learn to love vegetables. Most vegetarian food in the us isnt that great: it's either really hippie lentils etc stuff or meat substitute. Learn how to prepare vegetables in a good way. I never missed meat when I was vegetarian except maybe tacos.
I only stated because brig strict vegetarian in Japan is hard: you always have to explain it and there's so much seafood here.

Think of it as an opportunity to explore different foods. I always enjoy that part of it.

It's strange to refer to not eating meat anymore as 'cold turkey'...

Darren870

So guys, need some recipe/food advice.

By the time I get home from work its about 6:30-7:00 and I don't get cooking till 7:30. Which then results in eating at 8:30-9.

I look for quick easy recipes however the are never quick. The prep time is always massively under estimated.

Recently I have been cooking roasts though and this has been working very well for me. I can cut the veggies up quickly, put everything in the oven and walk away for about an hour till its done. I do roast chicken and topside as they work well. I also make a chili which, takes a bit longer but makes a lot of left overs.

So what other dishes can I make/cook so I can just pop in the oven and walk away. Pasta is pretty easy, but I tend to avoid it as it doesn't go well with my diet (low carb).

Any advice would be great!

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So what other dishes can I make/cook so I can just pop in the oven and walk away. Pasta is pretty easy, but I tend to avoid it as it doesn't go well with my diet (low carb).

Don't know about set and forget but if you start frying a steak, then you can slice and throw in some mushrooms after that gets going. While that is cooking, prepare some broccolli and steam it in a microwave in 3.5 mins in a bowl with shallow water and covered in clingfilm.

Minimal prep and the whole thing should take less than 15 minutes, with only 1 bowl, 1 frying pan, 1 knife, and a spatula to clean.

I pretty much did this tonight (just started back on low carb myself too).

By the time I get home from work its about 6:30-7:00 and I don't get cooking till 7:30. Which then results in eating at 8:30-9.

I look for quick easy recipes however the are never quick. The prep time is always massively under estimated.

Recently I have been cooking roasts though and this has been working very well for me. I can cut the veggies up quickly, put everything in the oven and walk away for about an hour till its done. I do roast chicken and topside as they work well. I also make a chili which, takes a bit longer but makes a lot of left overs.

Look into crockpot recipes. Could prepare them in the morning, or even prep the night before. Throw in the in the pot and done by the time you get home.

Collete

I usually tend to make food the weekend before my week starts.
That way I don't fuss around the kitchen every day to make something, the only challenge is finding foods that stay good in the fridge.
Sometimes I do half of a recipe and then complete it when I want to eat it.
For instance, this week I was making pho, and instead of making a single serving of broth the day I want, I did the whole batch of broth.
The only thing I actually cook, on the day I want to eat it, was the rice noodles and garnishes. (30 minutes of work to soak noodles, but I can prepare garnishes and then chill for the rest of the time)
(Also an idea is freeze food that you make that are "freezer friendly", and just pop it in the oven when you want to eat it.)

Family wine harvesting with a nice Feijoada lunch:
So many grapes!
What is that machine? Does it press the grapes automatically?

I usually get home from training every Tuesday and Thursday evening at 10. Which is why I always make food that can last two days Monday and Wednesday. Bigass wok meal, big stew etc.

Corto

So many grapes!
What is that machine? Does it press the grapes automatically?

Yes, it's an automatic presser. It was a good year in terms of volume, 600-700 liters. We'll see in the next weeks if it will be good in quality too.

DJ_Lae

Look into crockpot recipes. Could prepare them in the morning, or even prep the night before. Throw in the in the pot and done by the time you get home.

Oh yes.

I love my slow cooker, mostly for things like chili and stew, though do keep in mind it does (to some extent) neutralize the flavours, so add herbs and some vegetables near the end of cooking. Also great for soups, particularly hardier long-cooking ones like split pea.

Also great for pulled pork, and though I've never tried it some of my friends use theirs for ribs.

But the best part about using one is that you come home from work to a house that smells delicious.

neocoder

Banned

I know that feeling. Most recipes that are good require some amount of prep. Do you have a wife/gf that can help? I usually call the house on my way home (my wife works part-time) and have her start with some of the prep. Sometimes I will prep the night before and then cook the following night. I resigned myself that most recipes that I make require a good amount of prep.

Corto

Awesome. Are those garnacha/grenache/cannonau grapes?

It's a Portuguese autochthonous grape from the North, Vinhão or Sousão. It gives a strong opaque red color to the wine and also a nice acidic sting.

Vinhão direct translation it's "Big Wine" hehehe It doesn't result in high alcohol degree wines (11ºmostly) but the color and the acid taste are a bit too much to some people not accustomed to it.

Green Wine

Darren870

I know that feeling. Most recipes that are good require some amount of prep. Do you have a wife/gf that can help? I usually call the house on my way home (my wife works part-time) and have her start with some of the prep. Sometimes I will prep the night before and then cook the following night. I resigned myself that most recipes that I make require a good amount of prep.

Yea, we walk in about the same time. The problem is the recipes call for like 1 diced onion, 1 diced pepper, one finely sliced this or that. So the prep time does take into account all that cutting and other prepping.

Meh, thanks for the help so far. I don't have a crock pot but am going to get one next pay check!

Yea, we walk in about the same time. The problem is the recipes call for like 1 diced onion, 1 diced pepper, one finely sliced this or that. So the prep time does take into account all that cutting and other prepping.

Meh, thanks for the help so far. I don't have a crock pot but am going to get one next pay check!

As previously stated invest in a good one with a timer, not just temp controls. Not sure where ou live, but if in the states check out target. Almost everytime I go in there they have crockpots on clearance

What the girlfriend and I also usually do is to combine leftovers into a new meal.

For example we are going to have roasted chicken for tomorrow, which is more meat than we can eat. Any leftover chicken meat will be used as pizza topping on Monday, which should provide enough pizza for Tuesday as well. Voila! 3 days taken care of in one go more or less!

TheExodu5

Banned
I want to make a home made mac and cheese.

I figured I'd make a roux, melt in some milk and cheese, then poor it onto cooked macaroni, cover with more cheese and buttered breadcrumbs, and bake. Good idea? Is adding cheese on top too much?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow

I figured I'd make a roux, melt in some milk and cheese, then poor it onto cooked macaroni, cover with more cheese and buttered breadcrumbs, and bake. Good idea? Is adding cheese on top too much?

If your pasta says to boil for, say, 8 minutes, only do it for 5 or 6 because it'll finish cooking in the oven; otherwise, you're going to get something quite a bit mushier.

The extra cheese would be a personal preference. Some people would feel nearly nauseous after a small serving of such a heavy food, others want all the rich, gooey goodness they can bear. Me? I'd just use the breadcrumbs.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I've been making fried smelts recently. So good, can eat them like chips. With paprika mayonnaise as dipping sauce.

And on the subject of mac and cheese, it reminded me of moussaka-like food I had in Greece, I forget the name. It's similar to moussaka but has small rigatoni-like pastas in it.

Tonight it will be sriracha-sauced and yogurt beef tacos. I cook the ground beef with onions, make a bottom layer of crushed avocado in the tacos, add the beef, yogurt, then sriracha.

thespot84

I would cook all the innards at the same time, then add some cheese and breadcrumbs to the top and broil

CHMUm.jpg

Fantastic.

Cheese: English Cotswald Incredibly awesome among even the most awesome of awesome----loaded with herbs, loaded with oil, a great melt, and has a consistency such that when you bite into it...it doesn't merely "give"...IT BURSTS INTO NOTHINGNESS YET FLAVOUR!

Crumble: Same as last time in Veggie chip form....entirely too bland and definitely not one to mess with again. The cheese carried it totally.

TheExodu5

Banned
I dunno...it's a smell I associate to a cow farm. The smell of hay/manure/etc...I've tasted it in food a few times, but I've always associated it to something being wrong with the food.

Corto

I dunno...it's a smell I associate to a cow farm. The smell of hay/manure/etc...I've tasted it in food a few times, but I've always associated it to something being wrong with the food.

Damn you, now I'll always think of manure when tasting white pepper. ;) It is indeed a smell very similar to cow manure, hay/straw compost. Never thought of that.

TheExodu5

Banned
Hmmm...apparently I'm not alone:
http://www.reverendawesome.com/2012/03/white-pepper-aka-manure-sprinkles.html

Maybe I'll just avoid using white pepper, then...

edit: more
http://www.yumsugar.com/Burning-Question-Why-Does-White-Pepper-Smell-Unpleasant-6936166

According to food science expert Harold McGee, these off-flavors will develop during the fermentation process if the peppercorns have not been properly maintained in constantly flowing water. Before seasoning a dish with white pepper, taste it to make sure it doesn't exhibit any unpleasantness.

Maybe it's just bad white pepper?

Corto

Hmmm...apparently I'm not alone:
http://www.reverendawesome.com/2012/03/white-pepper-aka-manure-sprinkles.html

Maybe I'll just avoid using white pepper, then...

edit: more
http://www.yumsugar.com/Burning-Question-Why-Does-White-Pepper-Smell-Unpleasant-6936166

Maybe it's just bad white pepper?

No, you're right. I've just now went to our spice cabinet to try it. The white pepper alone is indeed a very similar scent to compost/manure but I never have associated the two. I love it on fish and mashed potatoes though. There are some multicolored pepper dispensers where the white pepper scent can be subdued a bit and make it a bit more agreeable for you. hehehe

Rouh

GETTIN MAH JUNIOR ON
I just want to say that I love this thread. I always came here when i was a lurker for the pictures and insightful comments. Thanks to the regulars participants and big props to Onkel!:)

thespot84

wow i definitely just sniffed my white pepper a bit too hard. I recommend against it.

I have a grinder full of white peppercorns and a box of already ground white pepper from the grocery store.

When I grind it fresh the pepper is pungent but smells of a milder black pepper with more of a citrus profile to it than anything else.

When I smell the pre-ground pepper, with a sell-by date of Jun 1 2012, it smells like cow manure.

If you can find white peppercorns or one of those green/black/white pepper grinders i'd recommend using that. the difference is drastic.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
that scent of manureis completely normal and OK with white peppercorns. it comes, as it has been stated before, from the fermentation process and is key to the white pepper taste.
all peppercorns should be bought in small amounts and only be ground at home.

Had roasted chicken thighs for dinner tonight. I marinated the thighs overnight in Peking Sticky Sauce. A sauce that was 70% off in price in my local market.

367278b.jpg

chicken1.jpg

Made vegetables-in-my-fridge/kitchen-wok
Soy sauce, Olive oil, Lemon, Onion, zucchini, carrots, chili and tomatos from the garden
chicken2.jpg

Awesome marinade! Either the ginger or the chinese five spice gave it this very distinct aroma which was mouth watering. The problem now is that I have to get another jar of sauce which wont be as cheap as this one :/
chicken3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom