• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Silkworm

it's briney goodness i tell ya

Yeah it sounds more assertive than smoked salmon so it sounds like its flavor would have a chance to stand out more on a bagel with cream cheese and slice red onion, tomato, and/or some capers. I've also read it could be minced and put in scrambled eggs which sounds tempting as well.

thespot84

Yeah it sounds more assertive than smoked salmon so it sounds like its flavor would have a chance to stand out more on a bagel with cream cheese and slice red onion, tomato, and/or some capers. I've also read it could be minced and put in scrambled eggs which sounds tempting as well.

also great in omelettes. it's slightly smokey but not overpowering.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Woot my eatery and I made Bon Appetit this month as part of their feature on Downtown Los Angeles! It's a small mention and my name isn't thrown in there but the fact that I helped to start a noteworthy business is no small beans for a guy who never thought he'd get much recognition.

It's crazy how this thread inspired me to cook years ago, eventually leading to a career in this industry and now something I've created has made it into national magazines. I know I don't post as much as I use to and would love to I hope the takeaway from this is that everyone can create good food but like any craft it takes work.

http://www.bonappetit.com/restauran...show/eat-drink-downtown-los-angeles/?slide=17
http://www.bonappetit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/stick-rice-los-angeles.jpg[IMG]

Considering I was cooking noob shit like this (below) I think I've come a long way and I intend to keep pushing myself to do better.
[IMG]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3127/2890942519_1978a246e9.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Awesome, man! congratulations. You make me proud.

Woot my eatery and I made Bon Appetit this month as part of their feature on Downtown Los Angeles! It's a small mention and my name isn't thrown in there but the fact that I helped to start a noteworthy business is no small beans for a guy who never thought he'd get much recognition.

It's crazy how this thread inspired me to cook years ago, eventually leading to a career in this industry and now something I've created has made it into national magazines. I know I don't post as much as I use to and would love to I hope the takeaway from this is that everyone can create good food but like any craft it takes work.

Considering I was cooking noob shit like this (below) I think I've come a long way and I intend to keep pushing myself to do better.

Dude right on, daps to you.

Anyway, who else here works in the service industry apart from Zyzyxxz and I? I really get off to watching stuff like this, I really wish that had taken off and gotten greenlit as a series.

I really wish that had taken off and gotten greenlit as a series.

I just retired. My wife couldn't take it anymore and the kids needed to see their dad. doesn't help having an unplanned baby but I think for our situation it's be best decision. I've got a part time job helping an artisan baker a morning or two a week so while I reevaluate life and waiting to move into our new house so I can start cooking more interesting stuff at home.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Anyway, who else here works in the service industry apart from Zyzyxxz and I? I really get off to watching stuff like this, I really wish that had taken off and gotten greenlit as a series.

Was the pastry chef for a big Asian restaurant until I got laid off, and since then have been a bread baker working with a small team of folks supplying about ten different restaurants with various breads and whatnot every morning.

----~ 1 from IronGaf ~---- (February)

Ghormeh Sabzi by Yes Boss!

This is a meal I've been waitting to make for quite some time now. Unfortunately it's very difficult to track Down fenugreek here in Copenhagen, and I almost gave up, when I suddenly stumbled upon a pack of dried fenugreek. The dream was a live! Upon opening the bag of Herbs, I was met by a somewhat strong familier smell, yet still very unique. It reminded me of indian cuisine. I had bought some great organic beef cubes from my favourite butcher in town and made the ghormeh sabzi. First time frying parsley, which was insane to see how a huge batch was reduced to almost nothing, as well as using turmeric. The end result of the fusion between the beef curry, the strong herbs and the dried limes was out of this world. The flavour so rich, only to be even better the next day.

ghormehsabzi1.jpg

ghormehsabzi2.jpg

Raspberry Tiramisu by Maiar_m

Seeing Maiar post a shot of his strawberry tiramisu... shot, it was one of those times where I said 'of course, why didn't I think of that?'. I love mixing up recipes, and just because it's traditional food, doesn't mean you can't change the flavour. Strawberries weren't in season so I used some nice raspberries instead, which steals some of the thunder from the mascarpone cream, but that's ok, as too much mascarpone can get a bit nauseating. In the same way a traditional tiramisu is also dominated by the coffee flavour. I made my own thin waffles, and served some happy guests.

raspberrytiramisu1.jpg

raspberrytiramisu2.jpg

Gibbo

Seeing Maiar post a shot of his strawberry tiramisu... shot, it was one of those times where I said 'of course, why didn't I think of that?'. I love mixing up recipes, and just because it's traditional food, doesn't mean you can't change the flavour. Strawberries weren't in season so I used some nice raspberries instead, which steals some of the thunder from the mascarpone cream, but that's ok, as too much mascarpone can get a bit nauseating. In the same way a traditional tiramisu is also dominated by the coffee flavour. I made my own thin waffles, and served some happy guests.

raspberrytiramisu1.jpg

raspberrytiramisu2.jpg

love this receipe by Maiar and ive used this many many times. i usually use blackberries as the maim fruit though.

also, does anyone here have any awesome receipes with Nutella as the main ingredient?

Maiar_m

raspberrytiramisu1.jpg

raspberrytiramisu2.jpg

Dude, congrats. I may not like raspberries, I still want some of those.

Silkworm

love this receipe by Maiar and ive used this many many times. i usually use blackberries as the maim fruit though.

also, does anyone here have any awesome receipes with Nutella as the main ingredient?

I made this recipe for Nutella Sandwich Cookies but it didn't turn out like I had expected. No way I was able to cut the cookies in half (they spread too much for me to attempt that) but maybe you'd have better luck. Ended up just using two whole cookies to make a sandwich but then I only ended up with about 9 sandwich cookies (it's suppose to make 18 which is possible if you can actually halve the cookies). Not sure what I did wrong, but it definitely uses Nutella as a main ingredient. :)

Gibbo

thanks leeness and silkworm. those nutella cookies look awesome! gonna try them these weekend. have to take a break from making cakes - although i find cookies to be abit more time consuming!

Liljagare

So happy that we are getting alot of local butchershops back here in Sweden, dont want to touch the supermarket massproduced crap meats/birds again.

Tonight, real porkchops with the NICE skin left on, like it should be!!

Amazingly, their prices are competetive with the supermarkets.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
ironGAF i have a question, is it possible to make chicken wings crunchy without the skin? i dont like the skin on wings and usually always remove it. anyone have any suggestions on cooking wings without skin but have that crunch texture?

Zyzyxxz

ironGAF i have a question, is it possible to make chicken wings crunchy without the skin? i dont like the skin on wings and usually always remove it. anyone have any suggestions on cooking wings without skin but have that crunch texture?

Wait, if you are removing the skin thats got to be a pain in the ass.

Why not just deep fry skinless chicken thighs/breast if you want crunch but no skin?

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Wait, if you are removing the skin thats got to be a pain in the ass.

Why not just deep fry skinless chicken thighs/breast if you want crunch but no skin?

i didnt know you can deep fry breast/ thighs. all new to me ;). yea i de-skin the mini wings.

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (February)

Apricot Rolls

apricotrolls1.jpg

apricotrolls2.jpg

There's nothing like baking a yeast dough that fills the kitchen with the most wonderful smell of baked goods. These apricot rolls are not that time consuming to make if you leave out the resting periods. I would say that they are also easy to make, but rolling them can be somewhat tricky, especially if you add too much apricot jam per roll as it will just make the rolls a big uneven mess. Too much jam will also make them too sweet. While the rolls are great when served warm, they become rather tame when Cold, so be sure to reheat them in the oven or use a toaster the day after.

~Recipe~
Yields: 16 rolls

Ingredients
50 g fresh yeast
3 tbsp milk, room temperature
2 eggs, room temperature
300 g flour
50 g sugar
½ tsp cinnamon, ground
75 g butter, room temperature
150 g apricot jam
1 egg for eggwash
apricotrolls3.jpg

Directions
- Stir the yeast and milk together until the yeast has dissolved. Add the eggs and stir. Add the flour, sugar and cinnamon and knead until incorporated. Then add the butter and knead for a good 8-10 minutes, till you have a smooth dough.
- Cover the dough and let it rest in a warm place for 20 minutes. Then beat out the air and knead the dough again and cut it into two pieces. Roll out both pieces into flat circles and cut each circle into 8 triangles.
- Prepare a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Add around a tsp of apricot jam on a triangle(mostly around the wide end), and then while holding on to the tip with one hand, roll from the wide end with the other hand. Repeat with the rest of the triangles.
- Place each triangle on the cookie sheet with the folding underneath, cover them and let them rise for another 20 minutes. A few minutes before they are ready make sure to heat the oven to 225°C.
- Brush them with a mixed egg, and bake for 10 minutes. Let them cool slightly and serve warm.​
apricotrolls4.jpg

----~ Season's Sweet ~---- (February)

Apricot Jam Cake

apricotjamcake1.jpg

apricotjamcake2.jpg

This apricot cake, gains not only a soft flavour from the apricot jam, but also a nice moist and tender crumble. The sweet undertones in the flavour is greatly matched by the citrus from the mixed peel. I could imagine that the cake would become too sweet without the mixed peel. Additionally the peel and the dried apricot adds something to chew as well, which I always prefer in my cakes and desserts. The recipe is actually for a bundt form, but I wanted to decorate it using a stencil pattern dusted with powdered sugar, and needed a flat round cake. For that reason I served the cake upside-down as the bottom was much prettier to present. The cake was still moist on the third day after and kept the flavour really well, quite a feat for a simple bundt cake.

~Recipe~
Yields: 25cm cake, 12-15 servings

Ingredients
230 g butter, room temperature
225 g butter, softened
430 g sugar
4 egg yolks
250 ml buttermilk
325 g apricot jam
1 tsp vanilla extract
375 g flour
½ tsp cinnamon, ground
Pinch of salt
1 tsp baking soda
4 egg Whites
200 g dried apricot, chopped
100 g mixed peel​
Directions
- Preheat oven to 150°C. Grease a 25 cm springform.
- Sift flour, cinnamon, salt and baking soda into a bowl and set aside.
- Beat butter and sugar light and fluffy at high speed, about 5 minutes. Add the yolks one at a time, beating well and scraping down the sides after each addition. Add the buttermilk, apricot jam and vanilla extract and mix for a few seconds.
- Beating at low speed, add flour mixture, making sure to incorporate the flour into a uniform batter.
- In another bowl, whip the egg whites to soft peaks, then fold them gently into the cake batter. Finally fold in the dried apricot and mixed peel and pour into the springform.
- Bake at 150°C for 15 minutes, then turn up the heat to 180°C and bake for an additional 45 minutes, or till the cake is golden. Check with a wooden stick inserted in the middle of the cake to see if it’s done. If the sticks comes out with dry crumbles or clean the cake is ready. Remove from oven and cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes, before inverting it onto a cooling rack.
- Sprinkle with powdered sugar before serving.

Recipe adapted from Therufffram.wordpress.com

apricotjamcake3.jpg

Well damn, at least it looked the part:

w3AgzWH.jpg

The Good Crumble: Regenie's Garlic Parmesan Pita Chip Joining the short list of favored brands I can hardly ever manage to actually come across---nicely seasoned with that good texture.

The Lacking Cheese: Haystack Mountain Goat Sunlight Nothing going for it outside of a nicely soft melt---annoying "sticky" packaging rind, bit of an iffy aftertaste that makes me paranoid I couldn't get 100% of the damn stuff off, no real aroma or oil to speak of.

The Good Crumble: Regenie's Garlic Parmesan Pita Chip Joining the short list of favored brands I can hardly ever manage to actually come across---nicely seasoned with that good texture.
That reminds me of something I've wanted to ask you for some time. Where do you buy the endless of variations of ingredients for your pizzas? I can't imagine your local stores would hold enough brands of cheese for you to be satisfied with.

Also Garlic Parmesan Pita Chip sounds amazing, please send a slice to my email...

Metroid Killer, on top of being what looks like a phenomenal baker (but I would need samples to be able to confirm this), you take really, really excellent food shots, which is not easy (they tend to be either plain failures or too "clinical").

Reminds me of the shots from la tartine gourmande.

dream

Well damn, at least it looked the part:

w3AgzWH.jpg

The Lacking Cheese: Haystack Mountain Goat Sunlight Nothing going for it outside of a nicely soft melt---annoying "sticky" packaging rind, bit of an iffy aftertaste that makes me paranoid I couldn't get 100% of the damn stuff off, no real aroma or oil to speak of.

I can't get over how this looks like a 4-eyed version of Stewie Griffin.

Heh, the secret is slow persistence in tracking down new ingredients and varieties outright alongside new companies offering a chance thereof----the astute will note it has been a little while since I had any pics I could put up!

Seriously though, I keep active tabs on 3-4 local grocery stores, 2 of which tend to update their wares at least a few times a year, alongside the Dekalb Farmer's Market which is often among the best sources...at least when they don't hit streaks of selling just the same damn mini-logs of goat cheese en masse from several different companies all doing nothing appreciably different to them.

I wish I could check more places, and that I had any sort of personal access to the likes of Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and so on----closest I ever had was a local BJ's that went out of business...but on their last day I raided their cheese section for what I could and spent about a half hour taking notes in the floor from an illustrated book of cheeses of the world they had tethered with a chain to the display. Still, I do what I can, and when I cant' find new stuff I try to fall back on Greatest Hits. Like tomorrow for instance, when we bake our whole wheat big one, there's thankfully the first bit of some Harlech Somerdale for it that I've had for quite some time now---with all that fantastic oil that is somehow instantly evocative of a seafood feast with whatever choice of herbs and seasonings they've employed...

It really is a good Pita Chip though, probably the best of that sort I've ran into---though I also quite like their Falafel seasoned one too....how can you ever go wrong with Falafel seasoning? Just can't.

http://www.regenies.com/productslanding.html Hmm, seems like they have yet more I've not had beyond next week's bag...

Metroid Killer, on top of being what looks like a phenomenal baker (but I would need samples to be able to confirm this), you take really, really excellent food shots, which is not easy (they tend to be either plain failures or too "clinical").

Reminds me of the shots from la tartine gourmande.
Thanks a lot! I'm extremely happy that this is what you get out of photos, because it's exactly what I want to capture with them. I get the point of the many food blogs that present their food in complete white backgrounds. The food is seen cleaner by itself, and they usually have better lighting. But to me food is functioning in context, the life and setting around the food is a big contributor to the whole picture of the food.

Seriously though, I keep active tabs on 3-4 local grocery stores, 2 of which tend to update their wares at least a few times a year,
Haha I get what you say. Whenever one of my local groceries does one of their rare updates on wares, it's time for celebration to finally be able to conveniently add some change to your shopping.

This can cut the other way though, bastards also recently stopped carrying my beloved Sausea Cocktail Sauce with Extra Horseradish that had been a reliable staple for a long time now---I can't find a single other damned cocktail sauce anywhere that is up to snuff now....rest of the blighters are loaded up with worthless food colorings, HFCS, and a lack of horseradish and whatnot.

Nothing, NOTHING pisses me off more in a grocery store than false variety. "Oh look, a nice little block assortment of what I'm looking for, let me just scope out the ingredients to see what kind of mix each is going for and....oh come the hell on!"

----~ Designer Dessert ~---- (February)

Squirrel Cake in a Cake

squirrelcake1.jpg

squirrelcake2.jpg

With this cake, everything just align perfectly. I designed it based on a theme of squirrels and nuts, and decided that a Nutella or almond cake would be a fine fit for the theme. Of course frosting the cake with a Nutella ganache would then hammer in the message. But an extra punch was needed for this otherwise simple cake, and the idea of a hidden squirrel inside the cake was the way to fuse both Nutella and almond cakes into this wonderful cake. I was afraid that the squirrel cake inside would become too dry as it's baked twice, but apparently the heat and moisture from the almond batter keeps it from drying it out completely.
That is also pretty much the only tricky point of this cake: The baking times. Now in the recipe below I've written 60~ minutes, but it really depends on a lot of things. Different ovens, different weather, heck I made this cake back to back over two days, and ended up having to make it for 55 minutes the one day, and 70 minutes the other. I recommend that you check up on the cake after it has baked for 45 minutes, check with a wooden stick, and keep checking every 5 minutes until it comes out clean or with dry crumbles on it. Had it been a regular pound cake, I wouldn't have had a problem with baking it for 10 more minutes to make sure it was baked completely, but as we have to bake the inner cake twice, you really want to take it out of the oven just when it has gotten enough.
The end result is worth the hassle though, as both flavours, colors, and appearance blends in perfectly with the thematic presentation of the cake.

~Recipe~
Yields: 11 x 25 cm cake, 15 servings

Ingredients
Nutella Cake
170 g butter, room temperature
225 g sugar
3 eggs
100 g Nutella or other hazelnut chocolate spread product
260 g flour
15 g cocoa powder
Pinch of salt
2 tsp baking powder
180 ml milk, whole

Almond Cake
170 g butter, room temperature
150 g sugar
3 eggs
200 g almond meal
100 g flour
Pinch of salt
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
115 g sour cream
1 tsp Vanilla extract

Nutella Ganache
200 g dark chocolate, chopped
200 g Nutella or other hazelnut chocolate spread product
1 tbsp sugar​
squirrelcake3.jpg

squirrelcake4.jpg

Directions
Nutella Cake
- Preheat the oven at 170°C. Grease a 11 x 25 cm loaf pan.
- Cream butter and sugar light and fluffy. High speed for around 5 minutes.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, and continue mixing at high speed. Scoop down batter from the sides if necessary. Turn down the speed and mix in the Nutella.
- In another bowl sift together flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix at low speed. Incorporate the milk into the batter and finally mix in the last half of the dry ingredients. Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake at 170°C for 60~ minutes, or until a wooden stick inserted into the cake comes out with dry crumbles on it. Once ready, take the cake out of the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Then invert the cake onto a wire rack for further cooling.
- Once the cake has cooled down, cut off the dry ends, but keep them for decorative purposes, and then cut the cake into slices. With a squirrel cookie cutter, cut out the squirrels to form the core of the finished cake. Line up the squirrels at the bottom of the re-greased loaf pan. Those dry ends you cut off? Cut some squirrels out of them as well and they can be used on top of the cake when decorating it.

Almond Cake
- Preheat the oven at 170°C.
- Cream butter and sugar light and fluffy. High speed for around 5 minutes.
- Add eggs 1 at a time, and continue mixing at high speed. Scoop down batter from the sides if necessary.
- In another bowl sift together almond meal, flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Add half of the dry ingredients to the batter and mix at low speed. Incorporate the sour cream and vanilla into the batter and finally mix in the last half of the dry ingredients.
- Gently pour the batter into the loaf pan making sure it goes neatly around the squirrels. But make sure that you don't end up with too much batter underneath the squirrels or they will float up when baked.
- Smooth the top of the cake and bake at 170°C for 60~ minutes, or until a wooden stick inserted into the cake comes out with dry crumbles on it. Once ready, take the cake out of the oven and let it cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Then invert the cake onto a wire rack for further cooling.

Nutella Ganache
- When the cake has cooled, melt chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a hot waterbath, sitrring gently. Once melted, take the bowl off the waterbath and stir in the Nutella.
- Let the ganache rest for about 10 minutes, so that air bubbles can get to the surface and out, and so that the temperature drops to a desired level for frosting the cake.
- Frost with a spatula or what you find easiest for you. Immitate the lines of tree bark using a fork. Decorate with nuts and cut-out squirrels :)

squirrelcake5-1.jpg

squirrelcake6.jpg

BBQ fillet by OnkelC

tenderloin1.jpg

tenderloin2.jpg

I love the food OnkelC makes, and to me a meal like this is love letter to food that may not the most healthy stuff you could make, and there may be a bit too much sauce used, but it tastes amazing, and every bite is nothing short of a culinary orgasm. The girlfriend and I was almost competing in stating how awesome this tasted when we had this meal.
Once again I bought the best (and most expensive ;_;) organic tenderloin, cooked it to a perfect rare and served it together with homemade béarnaise-filled hash browns. In Onkel used hollandaise sauce, but I had just made a big batch of béarnaise sauce the day before, and prefer it over hollandaise anyway. A tomato, artischoke, spinach leaves and mozzarella salad on the side.

tenderloin3.jpg

And with a final tribute to Onkel, my monthly food challenge has come to an end. Time apparently speeds up the more you cook, because I've done the challenge for 12 months. Ending the challenge doesn't mean that I won't bake and cook things that would fall into the categories, far from it. I feel that I've met the goals I set out a year ago, and to continue honing those goals, I don't need the challenge in the back of my head any more, it has become a natural thing of my cooking, and that is a wonderful thing! So much has changed this year, so I felt it would fit the challenge to be archived with all entries both in lists and images.

----~ Monthly Food Challenge ~----

I hereby announce that I will do my best to meet the goal of each of the following three challenges as described below. By announcing my reolusion here at IronGaf I commit myself to the resolution even greater.

The challenges are

----~ Season's Sweet ~----
Description: Each month I must make a dessert based on seasonal food. Not every ingredient has to be in season, but the more the better. If a main ingredient exists it has to be in season(Apple in applepie). Based on seasonal food you can get in Denmark.
Goal: To expand my knowledge on food. To increase the quality of ingredients used. To have a more natural relationship to food.
seasonssweet.png

----~ Designer Dessert ~----
Description: Each month I must make a dessert designed by myself. It does not have to be made completely from scratch(using recipes for parts is allowed), but I am not allowed to follow an entire recipe slavishly and call it a day. What I have designed myself should be clearly understandable and should be(but not required) a striking feature of the dessert(shape, color, composition etc.). An accompined scetch of each dessert is preferred in order to show that creative thoughts had been in the process from the beginning.
Goal: To expand my creative side when making desserts. To gain more independece with the objects that I'm working with. To challenge my skills consciously regarding proportions, tastes, shapes, colors etc.
designerdessert.png

----~ 1 from IronGaf ~----
Description: Each month I must recreate a meal posted on IronGaf. I must follow any given recipe as close as possible, unavailable ingredients must be properly substituted. It can be an entire meal or just a single component as long as it's been posted in one of the IronGaf vols.
Goal: To expand my horizon on cuisine in general. To further honor great posts and food presented on IronGaf.
1fromirongaf.png

jred2k

That squirrel cake is honestly one of the coolest things I've ever seen. I really wish I could be good at baking, but the temptation to over-indulge in the end product is too high. Baking creates more dishes than I enjoy cleaning, too.

Zyzyxxz

Not food but food related. As someone who studies kaiseki cooking plateware is a big deal as some restaurants at the highest level will spend more than $100,000USD on plateware alone because of the high quality craftsmanship and the fact that it is the norm to change sets of plates every season. I try to constantly buy new "test" plates as a way of inspiring myself to cook and to plate better.

So I went plate shopping for fun. Plates aren't just blank canvases, they can also be inspiration for your next vision. as a painter can choose a wide variety of mediums to apply the paint sometimes the medium can inspire how to apply it. Just some food for thought.

12929804094_04931c4c71_b.jpg

Thanks for the comments you guys. And I would buy a room full pottery platewares if I had the money. I've been to the town of Kasama in Japan a couple of times. They are famous for their pottery, my wallet cries every time I leave that town. And my mind cries because I couldn't afford some expensive set.

Bonus shot from yesterday:
squirrelcake7.jpg

When cutting out those squirrels you end up with a lot of excessive cake, which would be extremely stupid to throw out, because you can make

Rum Balls

rumballs1.jpg

~Recipe~
Yields: 30-40 rum balls

Ingredients
600 g cake leftovers
3 tsp rum essence
3 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp raspberry/apricot/etc. jam
3 tbsp strong coffee
Various sprinkles​
Directions
- Break the cake leftovers into fine crumbs. Add the other ingredients and knead until the mixture is firm but moist. Depending on how dry the crumbs are you may need to add more or less of the wet ingredients. Or you can add more coffee compared to jam if you prefer that flavor.
- If the mixture is quite moist it's a good idea to refrigerate the mixture for 1 hour.
- With a teaspoon roll the mixture into small balls and roll them in sprinkles or coconut shreds if you want to. Store in a fridge.​
rumballs2.jpg

Today is international pancake and my participation was making blini pancakes topped with sour cream, red onions, chives and salt & pepper. Typically you would also add lumpfish roe here in Denmark, but that roe is just so damn expensive that I had to leave it out, I'm not too crazy about it anyway.

blinipancakes1.jpg

But they taste amazing and are the perfect summer appetizer

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Metroid, you did a splendid job. congratulations on that.
As for the Bearnaise, it is actually the better choice for the dish, but I was out of taragon that night ;)

Keep it coming, always a pleasure to see new stuff from you.
Same goes to all regulars and new contributors as well, of course!

you all make me proud.

DJ_Lae

Bought myself a gadget. I do most of the cooking in our house (okay, all but lunches for the rest of the family) so anything that makes my life easier on those lazy days is good.

I also want to get my wife into cooking, and recipes that involve less hands on time would be easiest. So slow cooking and pressure cooking. Problem is..our pressure cooker is one of those Indian style ones (Hawkins) and it's loud as hell.

i2Z0YW4Za7dpa.jpg

Anyway, this one does both and is as quiet as everyone said it would be. It's also one of the highest rated products I've ever seen on Amazon, so it has a lot to live up to.

So far all I've made with it is yogurt and steel cut oats, and the latter I never thought to do in a pressure cooker. The yogurt was the first I've ever 'made' on my own and it was good. Obviously I expected a milder flavour and a different consistency, as I used no thickeners where the store-bought stuff has gelatin and corn starch and something else too. I think next time I'll let it incubate longer because I did miss the tart yogurt taste. Still, a fun experiment and one I'll do again, probably with a different starter yogurt.

ibzu7AQAnyzyNZ.jpg

Ourobolus

Banned
And with a final tribute to Onkel, my monthly food challenge has come to an end. Time apparently speeds up the more you cook, because I've done the challenge for 12 months. Ending the challenge doesn't mean that I won't bake and cook things that would fall into the categories, far from it. I feel that I've met the goals I set out a year ago, and to continue honing those goals, I don't need the challenge in the back of my head any more, it has become a natural thing of my cooking, and that is a wonderful thing! So much has changed this year, so I felt it would fit the challenge to be archived with all entries both in lists and images.

I am bookmarking this entire post. Definitely going to try making some of these. Amazing.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Does anyone know how to remove oil burn stains from a stainless steel pan?
You could try to fill the skillet with salt and heat it while carefully stirring until the salt starts to turn slightly grey. Be careful, though, as the salt will get really hot in the process.
if that doesn't work, you could try a spray-on oven cleaner or a grill cleaner.
if everyhing else fails, try some abrasive cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom