• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

n64coder

rice should be done in 8-15 minutes in a pressure cooker, depending on amount and grain of rice.

If you look at the link in my post, Miss Vickie has the cooking time for various rice types. For white basmati, the cook time is 4 minutes. It took about 3-4 minutes for it to hit the pressure point, then I start the timer for 4 minutes. When the timer went off, I moved it off the burner and let the pressure come down naturally which took 4 minutes or so. So 12-15 minutes total was pretty accurate.

The other nice thing is that the rice does not stick to the pot which is an issue I have with my rice cooker since it doesn't have a non-stick lining.

^-- OMG, the "foil helper handles" link from the link above (http://missvickie.com/howto/cooking101/foil.html) is genius! I used to have a grabber tool for lifting things out after steaming but I think I left it at my parents, but the foil helper handle is a great alternative.

Had another quick to make lunch today:

Sandwich with prosciutto, sliced asian pear, fig butter, manchego, and kale dressed w/ olive oil and salt.

Trader Joe's had actual prosciutto from Parma that isn't too bad. Tasted decent and wasn't overly expensive.

It was my girlfriend's birthday this weekend, so of course I had to make some of her favorite cakes. Both cakes I have come up with this year, and both cakes that are quite fresh because of their tangy taste.

Rhubarb Fragilité
rhubarbfragilite4.jpg

rhubarbfragilite5.jpg

And a Fluffy Raspberry cake
fluffyraspberry1.jpg

fluffyraspberry2.jpg

Luckily we had guests to help eat them...

Dinner just now was Sunroot Soup with scallops. As both the girlfriend and I prefer our soups thick with as many things added as possible, I served the soup with: Thyme ryebread croutons, apple squares, fried chorizo, raw scallions, fried asparagus and zucchini, and finally some bread. Soooo good.

sunrootsoup1.jpg

sunrootsoup2.jpg

sunrootsoup3.jpg

Bonus shot of Shikko eyeing the leftovers.
sunrootsoup4.jpg

Silkworm

Those desserts look great Metroid Killer (as do the dinner items) :)

For the Rhubarb Fragilité did you simply cook the batter in quarter sheet pans and then cut them to the appropriate size? I ask because I recently came across this recipe for Dobos Torte where Deb mentions this is how she made her 12 layer torte. I've always wanted to try making something like it.

Also, Metroid Killer, are you now working as a baker or toward becoming a baker (your professional apparel in that shot of you holding the Fluffy Raspberry cake suggest that to me but maybe you just like to look professional even when just baking/cooking at home)? I remember you saying you thought you'd like to do baking as a profession rather than just a hobby but I wasn't sure if you had already started down that path or perhaps decided against it.

^Makes me think of the flying spaghetti monster XD
Those desserts look great Metroid Killer (as do the dinner items) :)

For the Rhubarb Fragilité did you simply cook the batter in quarter sheet pans and then cut them to the appropriate size? I ask because I recently came across this recipe for Dobos Torte where Deb mentions this is how she made her 12 layer torte. I've always wanted to try making something like it.

Also, Metroid Killer, are you now working as a baker or toward becoming a baker (your professional apparel in that shot of you holding the Fluffy Raspberry cake suggest that to me but maybe you just like to look professional even when just baking/cooking at home)? I remember you saying you thought you'd like to do baking as a profession rather than just a hobby but I wasn't sure if you had already started down that path or perhaps decided against it.
I made the Rhubarb Fragilité exactly like that 12 layer torte, yes. The layers are quite different though as the torte uses soft sponge cakes wheres the fragilité uses chewy/hard almond meringue layers. Here's the recipe btw.

And yes, I'm currently 3 weeks into baking/pastry school, where I will concentrate on pastry moving into the main course later on. So in 3 and a half year I should hopefully have become a pastry chef :)

Silkworm

^Makes me think of the flying spaghetti monster XD
I made the Rhubarb Fragilité exactly like that 12 layer torte, yes. The layers are quite different though as the torte uses soft sponge cakes wheres the fragilité uses chewy/hard almond meringue layers. Here's the recipe btw.

And yes, I'm currently 3 weeks into baking/pastry school, where I will concentrate on pastry moving into the main course later on. So in 3 and a half year I should hopefully have become a pastry chef :)

Thanks for explaining the layers for the Rhubarb Fragilité, Metroid and linking to the recipe for it.

Also congrats on your path towards a new career as a pastry chef. I might have missed a previous post by you already explaining this so thanks for potentially re-confirming it. From all you've shared in this thread, you definitely have the skill and passion for it. I hope you retain your passion for baking going forward and have a lot of success as a pastry chef in the future. :)

That's awesome! I implore you to be the Insider to bring Carob use and awareness to the Pastry world proper---as it really shouldn't be the case that I, while just being some really hungry guy, can talk to 4-5 different bakeries, some of which fully trained, and none of them know what the hell I'm on about as I just get a puzzled look back "Chocolate? You mean Cocoa?"

jred2k

This is probably the best place to ask this. I want to start trying to make more soups and I'm wondering if I need to get a food processor or if a blender would work fine for me. I have limited counter/cupboard space so I would prefer not to have to get two appliances. I'd probably get some additional use from the blender for juices and such, but my main focus is for soups. Basically, if I have to pick just one, is a food processor or blender more valuable for making soups?

Silkworm

This is probably the best place to ask this. I want to start trying to make more soups and I'm wondering if I need to get a food processor or if a blender would work fine for me. I have limited counter/cupboard space so I would prefer not to have to get two appliances. I'd probably get some additional use from the blender for juices and such, but my main focus is for soups. Basically, if I have to pick just one, is a food processor or blender more valuable for making soups?

I'd say for soups a blender is way more useful. I currently only have a food processor and it allows me to make soups but I can't fill it up like I could a blender when pureeing so I have to do things in batches. For soups I'd say go with the blender (wish I had one). Don't get me wrong a food processor is very useful as well, but since we're talking soups, a blender in my opinion trumps a food processor.

I want to start trying to make more soups and I'm wondering if I need to get a food processor or if a blender would work fine for me. I have limited counter/cupboard space so I would prefer not to have to get two appliances.

For limited counter/cupboard space an immersion blender is quite handy for soups. We have the Cuisinart Smart Stick 2-speed and it seems well built and reliable. In fact, I'm not sure we use our proper "blender" for anything except milkshakes, and that's like once a year. Everything else is done with the immersion or a food processor (hummus, pesto, etc.).

jred2k

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm going to get a blender for now and if I see the need for a food processor in the future I'll look at them again. I'm pretty excited to get a blender and find some different ways to use it.

Silkworm

Thanks for the input, guys. I'm going to get a blender for now and if I see the need for a food processor in the future I'll look at them again. I'm pretty excited to get a blender and find some different ways to use it.
Soups, milkshakes, smoothies, and margaritas come to mind ;-) Have fun with it!

Easy_G

Made Middle Eastern Shakshouka for dinner and served it over rice. :p

People keep making this and it looks more delicious every time. I don't know why I haven't tried it yet. I've seen variations that are Jewish, Italia, and Mexican (sometimes called eggs in purgatory). Is there anything particular about Middle Eastern?

what is this cooking OT and why does it exist?

If I remember correctly, I believe it was for people who wanted a thread about cooking but were intimidated by what some people post in these IronGAF threads. But Ze Onkel welcomes everyone! From beginners to professional chefs. So everyone might as well just post in here.

mkenyon

Banned
Texas style Pulled Pork

1QBO7zY.jpg

Rub
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1/3 cup black pepper
  • 1/4 cup of finely ground dark coffee
  • 1/4 cup smoked paprika
  • 2 tablespoons salt
  • 2 tablespoons chipotle powder
  • 2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
  • 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
  • 2 teaspoons cumin
  • 2 teaspoons allspice

Served w/ Cilantro Jalapeno Coleslaw and home made BBQ sauce

qldIl9n.jpg

^-- Crust on the pork looks good!

My husband has been doing a lot of cooking lately, or at least a lot of cooking worth taking pictures of.

Meyer lemon pancakes with cashew-based ricotta (non dairy) for breakfast.

Grits with kale and a poached egg.

Ourobolus

Banned
Anyone have any recommendations on a smoker? I don't have a huge budget, (maybe...$250? Maybe $300?) unfortunately. I understand there are some relatively cheap ones that can be modded, but man...I would smoke so much stuff if I had one.

Silkworm

Anyone have any recommendations on a smoker? I don't have a huge budget, (maybe...$250? Maybe $300?) unfortunately. I understand there are some relatively cheap ones that can be modded, but man...I would smoke so much stuff if I had one.

Though I don't have experience with smokers, I've heard good news about this particular smoker (and it fits roughly in your price range):
Smokey Mountain Cooker - 18½-Inch Weber

Also there is one other thread that might be of help is BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style.

Unfortunately I don't have any first hand experience with smokers, but CrankyJay posts here and in the other thread I linked to and he's the first one that comes to mind as a good resource to answer you question (apologies in advance to any others I probably overlooked in this thread that can likely give just as good advice) :)

Dereck

Texas style Pulled Pork

http://i.imgur.com/1QBO7zY.jpg[IMG]

Rub
[LIST]
[*]1/2 cup brown sugar
[*]1/3 cup black pepper
[*]1/4 cup of finely ground dark coffee
[*]1/4 cup smoked paprika
[*]2 tablespoons salt
[*]2 tablespoons chipotle powder
[*]2 tablespoons ancho chile powder
[*]2 teaspoons granulated garlic
[*]2 teaspoons cumin
[*]2 teaspoons allspice
[/LIST]

Served w/ Cilantro Jalapeno Coleslaw and home made BBQ sauce

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/qldIl9n.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Thanks for the ingredients

Ourobolus

Banned
Though I don't have experience with smokers, I've heard good news about this particular smoker (and it fits roughly in your price range):
Smokey Mountain Cooker - 18½-Inch Weber

Also there is one other thread that might be of help is BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style.

Unfortunately I don't have any first hand experience with smokers, but CrankyJay posts here and in the other thread I linked to and he's the first one that comes to mind as a good resource to answer you question (apologies in advance to any others I probably overlooked in this thread that can likely give just as good advice) :)

Yeah, I think I posted in that thread way back when and forgot about it...oops.

Silkworm

Yeah, I think I posted in that thread way back when and forgot about it...oops.
No problem with cross posting though, i.e. asking about it in this thread. Besides with winter here, that other thread isn't quite as active as this one. Hope you get some good advice :)

tri_willy

Those look amazing. What are your recipes, if you wouldn't mind sharing?

hey sorry for the late reply. here are the rough recipes

steak with raspberry sauce

raspberry sauce

1 bottle(s) red Zinfandel
2 cups raspberries
1 cups ketchup
3/4 cups seedless raspberry jam
3 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
1 tsps. sweet paprika
1/2 tsps. ground cinnamon
Salt
Freshly ground pepper

if you dont have any jam, just add extra raspberries and sugar to taste.

In a medium pot over medium-high heat, bring wine to a boil. Lower heat and simmer until reduced by half, about 25 minutes. Add raspberries, ketchup, jam, vinegar, paprika, and cinnamon; simmer, stirring, for 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper; set aside.

as for steak, im sure you can use any steaky cut. with this one i used a rib eye w/ bone, although a scotch fillet or even a sirloin would be just as great. leave meat a room temp, removing any excess moisture, season with salt, pepper, garlic powder, herbs and chuck in pan. make sure seasoned side of steak is on pan first then u can season other side on top. can either choose to finish off steak in a preheated oven 250 degrees, like the pic and squeeze some mash on top as presentation as i have.

for the pannacotta, i based it from this website

http://recipes.coles.com.au/recipes/1576/layered-mango-panna-cotta-with-pistachio-praline/

hope this helps

Grits with kale and a poached egg.

Love grits + poached egg + whatever (usually shaved parmesan reggiano or a hunk of butter in my case, hehe). I've also been cheating lately and just frying two eggs up and then mixing them in with some kimchi and a little rice for a quick poor-man's kimchi-not-quite-fried rice breakfast.

Silkworm

Love grits + poached egg + whatever (usually shaved parmesan reggiano or a hunk of butter in my case, hehe). I've also been cheating lately and just frying two eggs up and then mixing them in with some kimchi and a little rice for a quick poor-man's kimchi-not-quite-fried rice breakfast.

Hmmm, this gives me something to possible try in the future. I recently bought yellow grits to make polenta with and will have a lot left over, so this may be a good way to use that up (using either parmesan or kale w/ a poached egg).

mkenyon

Banned
Anyone have experience with induction ranges?

Bought a house last September, and went from gas at my prior place to a really shitty electric range. I can't take it anymore. I need to get a proper range. Gas is not an option, propane is, but would be a helluva hassle and ordeal. Induction seems like it might be the best bet.
A standard Webber charcoal grill and one of these.

Kimchi + eggs + rice is such a great combination. While you're already frying the eggs, just throw the rice in there when the yolks are almost set, toss a few times, and tada, fried rice. Also, do you like green onions in your fried rice? The more, the better, for me!

thespot84

Anyone have experience with induction ranges?

Bought a house last September, and went from gas at my prior place to a really shitty electric range. I can't take it anymore. I need to get a proper range. Gas is not an option, propane is, but would be a helluva hassle and ordeal. Induction seems like it might be the best bet.

I have a standalone induction range (1 'burner'). They tend to work as advertised, assuming you have the right pots (has to be magnetic). It was actually kind of fun to take the output wattage of the range and the volume and starting temp of water I was boiling and calculate how fast it would take to boil and getting to within 10%. Worth it if you need something with consistent temps and generally even heating, though I would check whatever you buy with a thin layer of water in a pot to identify if there are hotspots.

I saw this on Top Chef the other night and wanted to make a vegetarian version.

Somewhat successful, but not perfect b/c of the lack of vegetarian Spanish chorizo =(

Vegetarian Caldo Verde

What else can I season seitan with to make it more Spanish chorizo-tasting? I already added tons of Spanish paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, sherry vinegar, aleppo pepper, cayenne pepper, and ground sumac. It was missing that spicy tang that chorizo usually has.

DJ_Lae

Someone else recommended one of those recently and I'm really tempted - I picked up a One Touch Gold last year as my first charcoal grill and having something to regulate temperatures and read them would certainly be nice for smoking.

They charge $31 to ship to Canada, though, and $180 is more than I paid for my grill.

How did yours compare with the Trader Joe's 'soyrizo'? We usually don't get in for 'faux' meat products but I love making little spanish omelettes with that, onions, garlic, cotija.

I thought it tasted better, but Spanish chorizo is different than Mexican chorizo. The latter is what Trader Joe's soyrizo is trying to mimic. I find that soyrizo is usually too cumin-tasting for my preferences, but I do like it sometimes mixed in with diced potatoes, onions, and scrambled eggs for a breakfast taco type filling. I don't like how wet it is though, so I usually cook it down in the pan so it's more clumpy.

mkenyon

Banned
Just the typical butter then flour, then milk. Then I added shredded cheddar and Kraft singles slices for creaminess. Also some spices. :p
Awesome.

If you ever feel like switching it up a bit, go with a nice sharp white cheddar, and then use Siracha and sweet chili sauce. I picked up the recipe from Deschutes Brewery Pub awhile back.

JqWDQEO.png

Rather than reduce the cream, I do the typical roux based sauce though. I also double the cheese. I'm not kidding when I say I've made a trip from Portland to Bend for the weekend just to get that. That was before I knew how to cook though :p

Zyzyxxz

Woot my eatery and I made Bon Appetit this month as part of their feature on Downtown Los Angeles! It's a small mention and my name isn't thrown in there but the fact that I helped to start a noteworthy business is no small beans for a guy who never thought he'd get much recognition.

It's crazy how this thread inspired me to cook years ago, eventually leading to a career in this industry and now something I've created has made it into national magazines. I know I don't post as much as I use to and would love to I hope the takeaway from this is that everyone can create good food but like any craft it takes work.

http://www.bonappetit.com/restauran...show/eat-drink-downtown-los-angeles/?slide=17
stick-rice-los-angeles.jpg

Considering I was cooking noob shit like this (below) I think I've come a long way and I intend to keep pushing myself to do better.
2890942519_1978a246e9.jpg

Silkworm

Woot my eatery and I made Bon Appetit this month as part of their feature on Downtown Los Angeles! It's a small mention and my name isn't thrown in there but the fact that I helped to start a noteworthy business is no small beans for a guy who never thought he'd get much recognition.

It's crazy how this thread inspired me to cook years ago, eventually leading to a career in this industry and now something I've created has made it into national magazines. I know I don't post as much as I use to and would love to I hope the takeaway from this is that everyone can create good food but like any craft it takes work.

http://www.bonappetit.com/restauran...show/eat-drink-downtown-los-angeles/?slide=17
http://www.bonappetit.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/stick-rice-los-angeles.jpg[IMG]

Considering I was cooking noob shit like this (below) I think I've come a long way and I intend to keep pushing myself to do better.
[IMG]http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3127/2890942519_1978a246e9.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Congrats Zyzyxxz! It's really inspiring to see how far you've come. Glad the new career endevour is already bearing fruit with a mention in Bon Appetite. I'm sure your eatery will gain even further notice and acclaim :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom