• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.
It won't become gelatinous before it's cooled down so you won't be able to use the texture as a reference point.

Don't be afraid to let the liquid evaporate a lot, you may obtain less "liquid" by the end but the taste will just be more concentrated (and thus, use less of it in your recipe)
Great. If it wouldn't rain that much I get a chicken right now. Last question how long would a jar last in the fridge/freezer until it goes bad? Thank you for your help again :)

Mekere

Quite a long time! I keep mine a few weeks in the fridge, the fat making a protective layer but to be on the safe side, you can also froze it. Put some stock in a ice tray and then you'll get some individual portions for further use :)

CrankyJay

Banned
Anyone have a Zojirushi rice cooker?

Just reading reviews on it and people say it takes about an hour for white rice, and 1.5 for brown?

My crappy rice cooker takes 20/40 respectively. I have no doubt the rice made in a Zojirushi is better.

Are there better/other brands I should consider?

Just reading reviews on it and people say it takes about an hour for white rice, and 1.5 for brown?

My crappy rice cooker takes 20/40 respectively. I have no doubt the rice made in a Zojirushi is better.

I don't have a Zojirushi but have thought about buying one for a long time, too, albeit mostly to free up a burner when doing big Japanese dinners. I think the extra time is because they do a pre-cook soaking period, no? Depending on your rice/philosophy of rice cooking, this can be considered an important part of the preparation.

I just use medium grain Nishiki, do a hand rinse even though they say not to, 3:<4 rice:water ratio, bring to boil, lower to simmer for ~20 minutes, rest for 10 minutes because I like it slightly sticky, fluff and serve.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I do and yeah, it's pretty slow as far as cooking rice goes. Very much a family-scale appliance.

Rice is great though.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Had a pork belly roast tonight with roast carrots, sweet potato, and potatoes. Had a plum sauce as I was out of apple which was a little more tart but worked as a substitute.

10245985_1595632517328908_1901826550_n.jpg

Last few times I have done pork belly I have had a couple of apples in the mix in the bed of veges the roast sits on in the oven, as well as having white wine or apple cider in the bottom of the baking tray. Has worked out well in terms of flavour and helping keep the meat moist.

I have a pretty basic 5cup Zoji. I haven't timed it but I don't think it takes as long as an hour for white rice. Maybe more like 30-45 mins. Usually, it finishes right as I finish cooking the other stuff for dinner. If I'm more prepared that day, I'll put the rice in earlier and just have it on a timer to be done when I want.

What I really like it for is to cook steel cut oats in the morning. I put it on a timer the night before, put it in porridge mode, put in 1 cup oats and 4 cups water. So easy!

One thing that I recommend if you're just cooking rice for one person is to make the max amount the cooker can make (5 cups in my case). Then whatever you don't finish, freeze in single-serving packs. I make the packs by putting down a sheet of plastic wrap, a scoop of rice for 1 serving, then I wrap the plastic wrap around the rice, kinda like one of those old fashioned candies with the twisted ends, then freeze. Next time I want a bowl of rice, I put the whole thing in the microwave (plastic wrap and all) for 2-3 mins on high and it comes out perfect. Freezing it immediately after cooking makes the rice less dry.

Vazduh

Looks like pieces of feathers stuck in skin before they're plucked completely? I'm assuming this is either chicken or duck.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
It's a "Bürzel" of a chicken, dunno the correct translation for it (tailpiece or rump perhaps?):

just cut it away before further preparation.

CrankyJay

Banned
Brining a chicken for tonight. Going to try to truss it and remove the wishbone as Thomas Keller recommends before roasting.

Also going to make some sautéed Brussels sprouts with onion, pancetta, and a Apple cider & cider vinegar glaze. Had this at a fancy restaurant but they used only cider and I thought it was a but too sweet for my tastes but still enjoyed it.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I recently learned that in English it's called the "pope's nose." No joke.
sounds awesome!
Church and poultry are present in German lingo as well, the chickens' "oyster" is called "Pfaffenstück" here (lit. "parsons' piece")
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oyster_(fowl)

I made something new for a long time tonight, Spaghetti with an Avocado sauce. It was so delicious that it was declared a part of the regular dishes by the wife and me.

Simply mix two ripe avocados with a blend of basil, parsley, olive oil, two garlic cloves, juice of half a lemon, a handful of ground Grana Padano and a teaspoon of chili flakes (threw everything apart from the Avocados in a blender beforehand), add a ladle of pasta water and mix with the Pasta. Serve with bacon strips and some more Grana Padano.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Any suggestion for something I could cook that would give me enough food for my lunches this week? Except lasagna since I made that again recently. Ideally something that doesn't take too long to make. I made parmesan/potato/mushroom gratin last week and it takes too long to make for too little.

rezuth

Any suggestion for something I could cook that would give me enough food for my lunches this week? Except lasagna since I made that again recently. Ideally something that doesn't take too long to make. I made parmesan/potato/mushroom gratin last week and it takes too long to make for too little.

Bolognese! Just make a huge batch and then cook some pasta here and there to make sure you have that too. Although I guess thats kinda like lasagna :D Cook some chicken breasts? You could do different dishes with them, some easy sauce with pasta. Put on a ciabatta with lots of greens etc. Make a big stew?

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Bolognese! Just make a huge batch and then cook some pasta here and there to make sure you have that too. Although I guess thats kinda like lasagna :D Cook some chicken breasts? You could do different dishes with them, some easy sauce with pasta. Put on a ciabatta with lots of greens etc. Make a big stew?

I'd use chicken thighs instead of breasts, it will reheat better without drying out.

edit: I also find that the easiest things to make large batches of is pasta sauces, or ragus. For example:
Cut 2 lbs of pork shoulder into large chunks.
Salt and brown on all sides.
Place into dutch oven with onions, garlic, bay leaves, spices, garlic, whatever
A can or two of Mutti's cherry tomates
White wine, stock, and/or vinegar
Cover and place in oven at 120-150 degrees until fork tender (2-4 hours)
Shred
Put on stove and reduce to desired consistency
season to taste with salt, pepper, sugar, vinegar (for acid).

Eat with pasta, potatoes, quinoa, lentils, whatever.

Haven't posted any creations in a while, but I have been making them, as many as always :) One cake I was proud of was the

Rose Cake

rosecake1.jpg

rosecake2.jpg

This cake has been on my to-do list for quite some time. Cakes decorated with buttercream rose swirls is nothing new, but I wanted one with a true theme of rose and not just decorative. I used a flavor combination made famous by French pastry chef,Pierre Hermé, and based the cake on this: Rose, lychee and raspberries. The floral taste of rose can be a bit off-putting to some, but it goes great together with raspberries, with a strong, sharp and dominating taste to counter to soft rose. Lychee is the perfect bridge between rose and raspberry, and they are all bound together in pink elements. To make the rose swirls, you will need a rose tip to pipe them out properly. Once you got the right tip, it's easy and quick to make the roses. Start at the center and pipe in a circle around the center, and that's just it! Pipe the neighboring rose close enough to avoid any gaps between them. The buttercream roses makes for a great appearance, but I wanted to add the extra finish by making additional marzipan roses, mainly for practice, but they ended up complimenting the cake a lot.

rosecake3.jpg

rosecake4.jpg

~Recipe~
Yields: 24 cm cake ~15 servings

Ingredients
Sponge Cake
6 eggs, room temperature
150 g sugar
125 g flour
1½ tsp baking powder

Rose Mousse
400 ml cream
100 g egg whites
50 g sugar
4 gelatin sheets
½ lemon
6 tsp rosewater
1 tsp red food color
75 g raspberries
150 lychee

Rose Swiss Meringue Buttercream
300 g egg whites
500 g sugar
650 g butter
3 tbsp. rose water
red food color​

Directions
Sponge Cake
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Spread out the sugar onto a baking sheet and heat shortly in the oven, around 2 minutes. Warm sugar will add more volume to the eggs. Meanwhile start mixing the eggs in a big bowl. Once heated add the sugar and keep mixing, then turn it up to high speed and work in as much air as possible. The batter should have tripled in volume after around 10 minutes, the sugar should also have dissolved more or less.
- Sift in flour and baking powder and gently fold. Make sure to reach down at the bottom and sides. Pour batter onto a baking sheet with parchment paper, making sure it covers 24 cm in diameter. You need 3 layers of sponge cake, which you can bake all at once(on 3 separate sheets), or if you don't have the capacity, one layer at a time.
- Bake at 180°C for 10 minutes, but keep an eye on the cakes after 8 minutes, they can easily get too dry before you know it. They are done when they spring back when touched.
- Cool the layers on cooling racks, while preparing the mousse.

Rose Mousse
- Soak gelatin sheets in a small bowl of water for 15 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until foamy, then gradually add sugar and beat until soft peaks.
- In a small saucepan heat up(either over lowest heat or hot waterbath) the juice from the lemon. Drain the gelatin sheets from water and add to the saucepan, stir until completely dissolved.
- Whip remaining cream to soft peaks. Fold in gelatin mixture. Fold in egg whites. If you've beaten the whites too stiff it can be difficult to fold them in and make a smooth mousse. Add rose water (to taste if you like it more or less) and a bit of red food color and fold in and your rose mousse is ready.
- With a 24 cm cake ring, cut out the three sponge cakes, and place the bottom layer inside the ring on the serving plate. Pour in half of the rose mousse, and place all the raspberries in the mousse. Place the next sponge layer, pour the remaining half of the mousse over it and place the lychee before closing with the 3rd and last sponge layer.
- Cool in fridge for 2 hours before preparing the buttercream.

Rose Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Over a hot waterbath gently whisk egg whites and sugar in a medium bowl(or that of a stand mixer), till it reaches a temperature of 70°C. Take it off the bath and beat at high speeds until it becomes a thick and glossy meringue, around 10 minutes. The bottom of the bowl should feel neutral to the touch, too warm and the butter will melt.
- Mix on low speeds while adding butter cubes one at a time. The cream should have a silky smooth texture. If too runny refrigerate for about 15 minutes, and mix until the texture is right.
- Add the rose water and a small amount of red food color to give the color of the inner roses, mix until incorporated. Take the cake out of the fridge and remove the cake ring. Apply a crumb coat, a thin layer of buttercream on the sides and top, to capture loose crumbs and to make it easier for the roses to attach to the cake. Refrigerate for 20 minutes so that the crumb coat hardens. Then take a small batch of buttercream and pipe the first light red roses. Pipe the excessive buttercream back into the main batch and dye it a deeper red. Pipe the next line of roses and repeat until you have as many color variations as you want. Decorate with marzipan/fondant roses. Cool for an additional 2 hours or overnight.

rosecake5.jpg

rosecake6.jpg

Rookje

Met Gala menu

yh0Sxlj.png

Choice #1 - Lobster and lobster mousse with American caviar, lemon mousseline and Maison Pascale Doney Meursault, 2011
Choice #2 - Vol Au Vent with poached chicken, quinelles, morels, and black truffles, champagne sauce, wild rice with snow peas and apples, Domaine Marc-Antonin Blain Chassagne-Montrachet 2010
Dessert - Baked Alaska, Passion Fruit and Cassis Sorbet

CrankyJay

Banned
Oh, I was going to buy the old version. But backed that instead. Wait time is a bit of a downer, but I can wait (hopefully).

Yeah, I'm in for $129...

I might change it to the $229 one if a buddy of mine doesn't mind getting the prototype.

I'm incredibly excited about this.

Mekere

I posted it in the "I bought a bento" thread, but I might as well post it here too! I've been making some bento/lunchboxes for my boy friend and friends for a bit more than one year now, it's almost a part time job considering I can make up to 8 bento a day :D As I always take some (awful) picture of them, I built my own website:

Example:
IMG_20140115_105239.jpg

What a normal cooking day looks like
med_gallery_7471_415_110445.jpg

And my website (not up to date, been lazy lately)

It's really simple food, using local and seasonal vegetables, free range poultry and the less processed food possible. My friends enjoy them at least!

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
13937100167_1a0faa295f_z.jpg

Apple & bacon burger with honey-mustard sauce. Made (and posted) this before, but made some tweaks this time, added some basic spices to the minced meats and added some raisins. Really tasty and fresh burger.

DJ_Lae

Made some paneer yesterday because I've been curious to try for a while (it's way easier than I expected, heating the milk is the longest part).

Is mattar paneer probably the best dish to start with? I've had it before and it's pretty good, though I don't think I've had paneer in anything else to be honest so maybe there's a better way to use it.

I posted it in the "I bought a bento" thread, but I might as well post it here too! I've been making some bento/lunchboxes for my boy friend and friends for a bit more than one year now, it's almost a part time job considering I can make up to 8 bento a day :D As I always take some (awful) picture of them, I built my own website:

Example:
IMG_20140115_105239.jpg

What a normal cooking day looks like
med_gallery_7471_415_110445.jpg

And my website (not up to date, been lazy lately)

It's really simple food, using local and seasonal vegetables, free range poultry and the less processed food possible. My friends enjoy them at least!
Wow you have the luckiest friends then! At the moment my everyday lunch is just a cup of noodle and one piece of fruit. Most of your bentos look very appetizing!

13937100167_1a0faa295f_z.jpg

Apple & bacon burger with honey-mustard sauce. Made (and posted) this before, but made some tweaks this time, added some basic spices to the minced meats and added some raisins. Really tasty and fresh burger.

Is that granny smith apple under the patty? Apple and burger sounds like a weird but brilliant combination.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Awesome burger indeed! the mix of beef and green apple is common in Korean tartare, isn't it?

I went the trailer trash way tonight and made three variations on the Burger theme:
Dreierlei Burger.

1. á la Fishmac with deep fried battered fish and sauce tartare:

2. Gyros-spiced ground Pork with Tsatsiki and shallots:

3. ye olde fashioned:

enjoy!

Maiar_m

OnkelC, you didn't make your own buns, and it makes me so so sad :( Your burgers go from fucking awesome unicorn food to yeah ok, I want some.

CrankyJay

Banned
0gUl9Uu.jpg

Sesame crusted ahi tuna rare. Wasabi paste.

Sushi rice with rice seasoning.

Asian slaw with scallions, rice vinegar, canola oil, sesame oil, lemon juice, soy sauce, minced ginger and garlic, and honey.

Was in a rush to feed my screaming kid, so not too fond of my plating or lighting.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Is that granny smith apple under the patty? Apple and burger sounds like a weird but brilliant combination.

Yup, works well with the mustard and bacon!

Onkel: second burger looks and sounds fantastic! I made a Greek-styled burger the other day a bit like it, with kalamata olives and feta. Meditteranean heart attack but still, so good. No idea if apple+minced meat is a Korean thing though, could be!

I've gotten this badass for my birthday:

fleischwolf-foto-bild-84050575.jpg

Imma gonna mince me some meat! Now I only have to start baking my own bread and my burgers are truly completely DIY.

Can anyone recommend a good set of cookware? I don't need top of the line but don't want a cheapy set that will break in a couple years. What's a good amount to spend/good brands to look at? Looking for a decent starter set of pots and pans and such.

thespot84

Can anyone recommend a good set of cookware? I don't need top of the line but don't want a cheapy set that will break in a couple years. What's a good amount to spend/good brands to look at? Looking for a decent starter set of pots and pans and such.

Where do you live?

It's more work but usually better to buy the stuff as you need it. Go scour the stores for sales/clearance stuff. A lot of times stores will sell a good pot for 50%+ off because of a minor scratch, which is a steal. The sets typically give you more pieces than you need and the overall quality suffers.

For knives, don't go cheap, but you don't have to give up an arm and a leg. the $20-$30/knife range will last you until you get serious about cooking. Grab a chef's knife, a pairing knife, and a breadknife. A santoku couldn't hurt. For european knives, look for a full tang (metal goes all the way through the handle), 3 rivets, and a cutting surface that extends all the way through the heel of the blade (like the 3 knives at the top: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=458439)

For pots, I like stainless and cast iron, not a huge fan of non-stick (harder to brown, deglaze etc). A 10-12 inch frying pan, a stock pot and a sauce pan should be enough to start. Then you buy stuff as you need it. A good pot is usually forged from a single piece of thick metal which retains heat same thickness on the bottom and sides). Copper is nice if you can find it but expensive, 'copper accents' are bullshit as far as I can tell.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Cake for my boyfriend's birthday: chocolate espresso chiffon with hazelnut italian buttercream. White chocolate shavings, not parm ;)

IMG_1994_zps56d7ce8e.jpg

IMG_1995_zps14504613.jpg

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
Awesome burger indeed! the mix of beef and green apple is common in Korean tartare, isn't it?

I went the trailer trash way tonight and made three variations on the Burger theme:
Dreierlei Burger.

1. á la Fishmac with deep fried battered fish and sauce tartare:

2. Gyros-spiced ground Pork with Tsatsiki and shallots:

3. ye olde fashioned:

enjoy!

I would murder a moderate sized family for that.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
14189739235_b32fea6ac5_c.jpg

I went a bit overboard with ingredients on this one. Calf patty with pesto, salad, grilled tomatoes, spiced and grilled bacon, parmesan cheese, mozzarella and balsamic syrup.

Sorry for the bad picture. Home made chicken "cubes" without any artificial stuff. Just chicken, water, vegetables and salt. Wouldn't become solid (gelatinous) at room temperature so I put them in the freezer. All in all took me 6 hours from start to finish. Taste is amazing. Thank you again Mekere :)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Even the best gluten-free cake inspires sadness in me. Better to circumvent the issue entirely and do, like, a flourless chocolate torte or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom