• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zyzyxxz

Ha! The other day my mom's pressure cooker valve (or whatever) came off and sprayed the contents all over her kitchen (it was like a spewing volcano!) - floor, walls, ceiling, you name it - and it took all day to clean up.

So A: I'd be afraid of having to clean up a spectacular mess every time I used my pressure cooker and B: I'd be afraid that it would blow up in my face and maim/kill me. lol

A duromatic seems like a safe bet though. I'll look into it.

The blowing up part won't happen with modern day pressure cookers because you won't be able to open it unless the pressure normalizes with the outside unless you are really trying to kill yourself.

Also for the pressure release valve just make sure you don't overfill it, thats why it sprayed everywhere. There's a reason there is a notch inside the pot that says "MAXIMUM FILL LEVEL".

Other than that there's really no rational reason to fear pressure cooker related injury as long as you use it normally. You're more likely to be injured on the road in all likelihood.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
The blowing up part won't happen with modern day pressure cookers because you won't be able to open it unless the pressure normalizes with the outside unless you are really trying to kill yourself.

Oh! Thank god!

Also for the pressure release valve just make sure you don't overfill it, thats why it sprayed everywhere. There's a reason there is a notch inside the pot that says "MAXIMUM FILL LEVEL".

ooof >__<

Other than that there's really no rational reason to fear pressure cooker related injury as long as you use it normally. You're more likely to be injured on the road in all likelihood.

Who said anything about being rational? :)

Mostly like zucchini with slight pumpkin flavor and a little starchy like cooked kabocha. I thought it would be more like zucchini because when I cut them open raw, they had that same slimy feeling. Not bad!

Had a fantastic meal here in sunny Fort Myers FLA that made me think of ze onkel - jaeger schnitzel & spaetzle. I took pics but unfortunately I won't be able to post them til next weekend.

PSA: If you can find some "Burro Butter", an Italian import butter, buy it and eat it with haste. It is not a golden butter, tastes reminiscent of the finest white Italian cheeses.

hythloday

We made deep dish pizza.

Sauce had a bit too much oregano in it, but it was tasty. There was a second pizza with pepperoni in it, but you could barely even tell because it was totally overpowered by sauce.

Blablurn

I did my take on a famous food meme today

Boo_ruFCIAEfO4a.png:large

Vazduh

Just made some muffins and they turned out delicious.

I used this recipe, but I substituted 50 grams of flour for some ground butter cookies, and I put one cherry and a piece of white chocolate inside each muffin tin cup. The resulting muffins were succulent and just enough sweet.

Waffles

6z9NlXl.png

I love them so much. Did them yesterday.

Mmm... waffles, they look really nice. Which recipe did you use, if I may ask?

OG Kush

I feel the same way. Every time I see fondant on a cake, it makes me not want to eat it. It looks and tastes like playdough to me. I can't recall meeting anyone who liked the taste of fondant.

Making dal at home is easy with a pressure cooker. 30 min meal.

Dal is so easy and cheap to make that I want to start making a batch every week. Eaten with rice and some sort of green, it's a pretty healthy meal, right? But what kind of green vegetable goes well with dal? One time I made saag paneer except with kale and using cashew cream and tofu instead of cheese to make it vegan. It was okay, but not worth the hassle.

Dhaal veges, well I'm from Pakistan and normaly had some veges such as okra or green beans (all cooked south-asian styles). There may be more combinations but I know these 2 go well!

Thezez

Banned
The kitchen is still "unfinished" because I am getting the benchtop composite stone replaced with a different granite and done properly by my father, plus have the splashback to get done. So, I've been holding off taking photos of it directly.

However, I have a couple of construction snaps. Below are the kitchen in progress and the view.

Hard to see from these shots but installed are a five burner gas hob, twin ovens, single door refrigerator, and double sink with waste disposal.

I'll take some finished shots and put them up once the new stone is in a couple of weeks from now. Might even have the dining table and chairs in by then too.

That apartments looks awesome. Wellington yes? Never did anything but rain when I lived there a few years back, lol.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
That apartments looks awesome. Wellington yes? Never did anything but rain when I lived there a few years back, lol.

Thanks. Yes, in Wellington. Tends to be windy here rather than rain a lot. Auckland has a lot more rain, but yes the weather can be pretty miserable here.

Had a bunch of people round last night before heading out to a function, and wanted to do more than the usual chips and dip. Whipped up some beef skewers (was supposedly wagyu beef but I doubt it) which I marinaded in Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup, satay sauce, and a little olive oil. They went down a treat.

CrankyJay

Banned
The cast iron pizza has inspired me....especially after turning out some pretty good corn bread in my cast iron skillet the past 2 weekends.

^-- Do you do little bits of caramelized onion and jalapeno at the bottom of your corn bread? My husband does that, cooking it directly in the cast iron and then pouring the batter on top. Once it's cooked, flip over on a plate and cut. So good!

Had a bunch of people round last night before heading out to a function, and wanted to do more than the usual chips and dip. Whipped up some beef skewers (was supposedly wagyu beef but I doubt it) which I marinaded in Worcestershire sauce, maple syrup, satay sauce, and a little olive oil. They went down a treat.

Fancy pants! I would have just done chips and dip, heh. What do you cook the skewers on?

I found some frozen fava beans at Trader Joe's that looked good so I used them in two preparations:

Quinoa and fava bean salad w/ lemon herb dressing. Was pretty refreshing, but definitely tasted "very healthy."

Vegan pressure cooker risotto w/ fava beans. This was so good and pretty easy. Took a bit of time b/c of shelling the favas, but will definitely repeat this meal on another night.

CrankyJay

Banned
^-- Do you do little bits of caramelized onion and jalapeno at the bottom of your corn bread? My husband does that, cooking it directly in the cast iron and then pouring the batter on top. Once it's cooked, flip over on a plate and cut. So good!

No, but that sounds uh-MAZING.

Guys, I just made an ah-mazing kale and quinoa salad.

I used kale and apricots from my yard and some leftover quinoa I had in the fridge. The magic was frying up the quinoa so that it was crispy for the salad.

^-- Eh, apricots are probably my least favorite stone fruit. Even when it's good, it's not _that_ good. Not like a good peach or nectarine! I mostly don't like how mealy apricots are.

CrankyJay

Banned
Guys, I just made an ah-mazing kale and quinoa salad.

I used kale and apricots from my yard and some leftover quinoa I had in the fridge. The magic was frying up the quinoa so that it was crispy for the salad.

totally normal...to have an apricot tree...totally normal

don't mind me, just squirting some fresh yuzu juice on my toro from the tuna i caught from my own fishery.

lol

jk

=)

CrankyJay

Banned
Haha are apricots rare or something? In southern california, I forget we are spoiled by fresh produce.

It's just something you don't hear a lot..."I have a fruit tree in my backyard I made a dish with"...

I live in NY and have a pear tree in my backyard...so I don't know what I'm so amazed about, lol. The pears are pretty bland and only bloom every other year.

Prepare to be amazed. I have 5 fruit trees (all dwarves) in the backyard, but they're mostly fail parties.

Apricot: prolific, but all the apricots seem to ripen in a 2 week period so for those 2 weeks it's all apricots all the time.

Nectarine: I swear we only get 6 nectarines a year. And we have to fight the squirrels for them.

Pink Lady Apple: Eh, not a big fan of apples, but this year looks like we'll have a lot.

Santa Rosa Plum: Pretty good! I like it when they're really ripe and juicy but it's risky b/c if I leave them too long on the tree, the squirrels get them. But I'm not above eating a few fruits that have nibble marks on them. Haven't gotten rabies -- yet.

Pink striped lemon: I've had this tree for more than 4 years and have only had 1 lemon from it. I need to start using citrus fertilizer or something on this guy.

I get fruit tree envy when I hear about other people in LA with prolific, yummy, fruits.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, it's fairly common in Southern California. Grew up in Ventura/Santa Barbara and between different family member houses had orange, olive, cherry, and avacado trees

Maiar_m

I made my first lemon meringue pie! I had a mind to bake one with baked French meringue rather than the soft form of it that's usually used. I had a few mishaps with the base dough, but otherwise I liked it a lot.

Melchiah

UCNtDHsl.jpg

Fried chicken with basil, sea salt, black pepper, lemon juice and olive oil marinade. Potatoes, red pepper, red onion, and carrots in the oven, seasoned with sea salt, black pepper and olive oil. Grill spice for potatoes as well. Tasted damn good, although the carrots were a bit raw, and would have needed more seasoning.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
I made my first lemon meringue pie! I had a mind to bake one with baked French meringue rather than the soft form of it that's usually used. I had a few mishaps with the base dough, but otherwise I liked it a lot.

Great photo. Looks tasty too.

Sigh...

yujmylS.jpg

I should've damn well suspected given the name, but:

Cheese: Cypress Bermuda Triangle is Bad Times/A Trap in the form of a stealth-blue/brie thing. So terrible!

Crumble: Simply Sprouted Way Better Snacks Pitaah Toasted Garlic This is pretty spiffy though, with a distinctive taste versus others seemingly thanks to a grain I'd never ran into prior---Red Fife. They really nailed the toasted garlic, and was the main reason I was able to get the above pizza down eventually.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
Made steak sandwiches with beef chuck, pickled red onions, asparagus and talleggio.

Pre cheese

8hMgFka.jpg

With cheese

EJuZv19.jpg

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
I seem to have killed the thread, maybe this can revive it. Suckling pig cooked whole over a fire pit-ish. Made for a friend's bachelor party. Well, maybe I didn't do too much to it, my task was a fois gras toast. But still, damn delicious.

I want to grow a yuzu tree but I'm sure there are issues with the taste of US grown yuzu
In my findings, the problems are more of the importation across state lines than the taste of US yuzu. I haven't compared though.

Why not sudachi or kabosu? They yield WAY more juice, and they should be just as commonplace as yuzu since you're in California (right?).

Melchiah

I seem to have killed the thread, maybe this can revive it. Suckling pig cooked whole over a fire pit-ish. Made for a friend's bachelor party. Well, maybe I didn't do too much to it, my task was a fois gras toast. But still, damn delicious.

I've eaten a piglet in a restaurant in Spain once, and it wasn't really a tasty experience. The meat was good on the outside, but the insides weren't obviously seasoned, and it smelled and tasted like sweat. The tail was crunchy like chips, and the tongue like a chewing gum. =)

Zyzyxxz

In my findings, the problems are more of the importation across state lines than the taste of US yuzu. I haven't compared though.

Why not sudachi or kabosu? They yield WAY more juice, and they should be just as commonplace as yuzu since you're in California (right?).

Yeah I think I'll look into those eventually but the place I am moving into can't support a large citrus tree. I might just do a finger lime tree on the balcony until I can move to a larger place in a few years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom