• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zbarron

I made some snacks.

Peppermint Bark:
15901293848_1d55480290_h.jpg

Ghirardelli dark and white meting chocolate and crushed candy canes on top. One of the easiest things I've made.

Sweet Potato Chips and Guacamole:
15469056963_19af4b6987_h.jpg

I made the guacamole last night but found that my lovely wife took the last of the tortillas for her lunch today. I used the mandolin to slice what is sold in American supermarkets as "Yams" drizzled with olive oil and salt and baked until done. The taste is phenomenal and healthier than real tortilla chips.

Iron gaf, advice me :)
I'm staying at my parent's home for Christmas and i'd like to whip up a few dishes..
Issue is:
1) just like me, my parents are workaholic.. While we both have a house keeper coming twice/week to keep things in order, neither my mom or dad loved cooking, so their kitchen is empty of tool of trade, just some standard stuff.. No tool for fancy presentation.. Sigh..
2) tastes.. Mom loves pasta, hates rest.. Dad likes pasta, loves fist, sort of hates meat.. Sister1 likes fist and meat.. Sister2 likes meat and pasta..

I'd like a few suggestion for
4 fish dishes
4 meat dishes
4 pasta dishes
6 cakes (not heavy in tool required with preparation)

Of course suggestion and recipe.. :p
Help a fellow hobbist cook!

CrankyJay

Banned
Prime rib is salted and peppered and resting uncovered in my fridge for overnight...

Writing up a script with estimated times on when to cook this and that. Hope it helps tomorrow.

This is my first time hosting Christmas so I'm trying to knock this out of the park.

Prime rib is 8.75 lbs (4 bone)...going to do the Serious Eats reverse sear method starting at 200F and taking it to 120-125, then jacking up the oven temp to 500-550F while keeping a close eye on it for the sear.

Prime rib is salted and peppered and resting uncovered in my fridge for overnight...

Writing up a script with estimated times on when to cook this and that. Hope it helps tomorrow.

This is my first time hosting Christmas so I'm trying to knock this out of the park.

Prime rib is 8.75 lbs (4 bone)...going to do the Serious Eats reverse sear method starting at 200F and taking it to 120-125, then jacking up the oven temp to 500-550F while keeping a close eye on it for the sear.

Ive used this recipe 4 different times to make prime rib, comes out perfect every single time:

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/11/prime-time-for-revisiting-prime-rib-of.html

CrankyJay

Banned
Ive used this recipe 4 different times to make prime rib, comes out perfect every single time:

http://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2010/11/prime-time-for-revisiting-prime-rib-of.html

Yeah, I looked into that as well, but I don't want to mess around with letting it sit out for 6+ hours, plus, since I only have a single oven, I kind of need it for other dishes I am making...so the reverse sear sort of lets me rest the meat while those things are cooking and then do the final sear right before serving.

ReAxion

Iron gaf, advice me :)
I'm staying at my parent's home for Christmas and i'd like to whip up a few dishes..
Issue is:
1) just like me, my parents are workaholic.. While we both have a house keeper coming twice/week to keep things in order, neither my mom or dad loved cooking, so their kitchen is empty of tool of trade, just some standard stuff.. No tool for fancy presentation.. Sigh..
2) tastes.. Mom loves pasta, hates rest.. Dad likes pasta, loves fist, sort of hates meat.. Sister1 likes fist and meat.. Sister2 likes meat and pasta..

I'd like a few suggestion for
4 fish dishes
4 meat dishes
4 pasta dishes
6 cakes (not heavy in tool required with preparation)

Of course suggestion and recipe.. :p
Help a fellow hobbist cook!

Knuckle sandwiches
sGqoXT7.gif

Knuckle sandwiches
sGqoXT7.gif
Dat iphone Autocomplete..
It was fish. But apparently for my iphone if i write "fish" and prese spacebar i wanted to write Fist...
But yeah i'd serve them a bounty of fist atm..
My grandparent's full time company keeper ( basically she just handles my grandma that cannot move, we have different guys for house cleaning) has just yelled at my grandpa lamenting that we're too many and she's not supposed to keep up with us...
Considering that she earns 1,4k netto after taxes, she lives in a huge room (60 square meters) that i Doubt she has in her native country for her WHOLE family (she's from romany), her eating is taken care of as she just has to say what she wants to eat (with due limitation... If she ask for fatty tuna and caviar she can gtfo..)

And she has the gall to assume that she can decide how many people from the family can come and visit over, because having too many people in the house is too stressful.. This while she stays in her room comfortably instead of joining us for dinner in order to take care of my grandma..

I swear, those foreigner serving as company for disabled people are among the trashiest kind of people i have EVER met.. They act meek but as soon as they get some more confidence they turn into shitards...

Doesn't help that my grandpa who's weak after a recent heart surgery 3 WEEKS ago need to keep calm, so he even avoids discussion, and asked us to do the same, and let her win everything, when the REAL solution is to fire the ass of this rotten bitch out..

Wonderful Christmas eve so far..

CrankyJay

Banned
Okay, need some pro chefs help. What kind of roasters or pans actually have an oven temp that can withstand 500-550 degrees?

My roasting pan can only go up to 450. I'll have to make due with that tomorrow, so this is for future consideration.

It seems most consumer grade stuff is max temped for 450.

zbarron

Good point, I wonder if I can fit the roast in my cast iron pan. Will try that tomorrow.

Thanks!

Cast iron is my choice as well but you might want to pick up a Dutch Oven if you don't already have one. Walmart has a 5 Quart Lodge Cast Iron Dutch oven for about $40. That's what I have and it's what I make all my roasts, stews, breads, and a load of other things in. If you don't want to go cast iron Stoneware is a good choice.

CrankyJay

Banned
Cast iron is my choice as well but you might want to pick up a Dutch Oven if you don't already have one. Walmart has a 5 Quart Lodge Cast Iron Dutch oven for about $40. That's what I have and it's what I make all my roasts, stews, breads, and a load of other things in. If you don't want to go cast iron Stoneware is a good choice.

I have a 7 or 8qt enameled cast iron Dutch oven I use for braising but I think the roast is too long for it.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Trying out a red miso rye bread recipe today

IMG_2387_zps1b5729ce.jpg

I wanted a little more oomph from the miso (or maybe just saltiness), but that nice umami depth comes in at the end of each bite.

Shiina

IMG_2387_zps1b5729ce.jpg

I wanted a little more oomph from the miso (or maybe just saltiness), but that nice umami depth comes in at the end of each bite.

This is really interesting and I need something to use my red miso paste on. Would you mind posting or linking me to the recipe?

zbarron

I have a 7 or 8qt enameled cast iron Dutch oven I use for braising but I think the roast is too long for it.
Wow. That must be one big ass roast. I was wondering why you weren't sous vide'ing it and then post searing.

IMG_2387_zps1b5729ce.jpg

Those loaves look really nice. My wife loves Miso. You said you didn't really get the flavor you were looking for. Would you still recommend it to someone who is missing several of the ingredients? Is it worth picking them up based on the taste?

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Those loaves look really nice. My wife loves Miso. You said you didn't really get the flavor you were looking for. Would you still recommend it to someone who is missing several of the ingredients? Is it worth picking them up based on the taste?

Well, it isn't a straight-up miso bread; the miso is there as a dimension of flavor (as is the malt powder) so bear in mind that your wife could be disappointed that it doesn't taste like a loaf of salty fermented beans. ;)

Which ingredients don't you have? Outside of the malt and caraway, if you leave anything out, your bread is going to be problematic.

zbarron

Rye flour, red miso, Bread Flour, Malt Powder, Caraway Seeds.

Quite a few. I wasn't thinking of substituting. I was thinking in the future if I decided to buy those ingredients would it be worth it? Basically I am asking how tasty did the bread turn out compared to other breads you've baked.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
It can be a lot of fun (and work) to make your own bread -- I mean, I do it for a living, after all. ;) This might not be the best bread to try unless you're at least a little experienced, though. If it's something you want to work on repeatedly to get the best result, or are interested in making a number of different types of bread, then buying several ingredients makes sense... but not so much if this is the only thing you want to attempt.

zbarron

It can be a lot of fun (and work) to make your own bread -- I mean, I do it for a living, after all. ;) This might not be the best bread to try unless you're at least a little experienced, though. If it's something you want to work on repeatedly to get the best result, or are interested in making a number of different types of bread, then buying several ingredients makes sense... but not so much if this is the only thing you want to attempt.

This is not my first bread.

D-Pad

B55klBFCQAIy-NW.jpg:large

Made chicken 'n cheese sandwiches for lunch, on garlic buttered toast.

Folks got me a camera for my food pics so I decided to try it out... I was hoping my dad would just give me his Nikon but I guess he's too attached.

D-Pad

It was some leftover (whole) chicken from christmas dinner. My mom cooked it so I don't know what spices she used. I took the breast meat from that, threw on some havarti (my favorite cheese), mozzi, and cheddar cheese.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I have a cup of crushed/pureed tomatoes after making Tikka except I don't know how to use it up.

What can I do with a cup of tomato sauce/puree that's not spaghetti?

zbarron

I have a cup of crushed/pureed tomatoes after making Tikka except I don't know how to use it up.

What can I do with a cup of tomato sauce/puree that's not spaghetti?

Tomato soup, Chili, BBQ Sauce, Many other sauces and soups, pizza sauce, What kind of food do you like?

Tizoc

This week, I had an opportunity to buy this thing for almost nothing:

I know pancakes are a thing in N.A. for breakfast, but I'm not sure they're also eaten as main salted courses, the way we do it in some parts of France.
However, you guess it, this is a... er... special kind of pan for pancakes, a.k.a. a billig in Brittany.

This is my batter:

As you can see, it's rather dark. The reason is I'm not using common wheat, like you would when making crêpes, but buckwheat flour, because I'm making some nice galettes de blé noir.

And here we go!

This was my first time using a billig, and I'm still a rookie at using the rozell to spread the batter on the plate, so they're not super regular (yet).

First one for starters: andouille, apples and a pinch of calvados

Second one is main course: poulet basquaise (chicken in tomatoes, onions and sweet peppers sauce)

Cheese time with third and last one: chèvre chaud (goat cheese)

This one was really amazing: crunchy galette outside and melting cheese inside.

Over here, in Oman at least, we call it 'Rukhal' bread, my grandmother used to always make it for us years ago. While I'm not too found of it myself, those are some nice wraps.

Silkworm

Cooked up a 550g ribeye on the bone with roast baby vegetables. Pan seared the steak then finished in the oven.

Last nights dinner was a rack of lamb (my first) with homemade (pseudo)tzatziki and medley of steamed and roast vegetables.

Dang, you've been busy of late, Mario. It all looks delicious! Awesome work and thanks for sharing the pics of your efforts! :)

zbarron

15998820489_1d730fa52a_h.jpg

I made my wife a cake for her birthday.

It was dense and grainy. I didn't have any tools to make a smooth layer of frosting on all sides so I piped it on. Doing so got the icing warm and with the warmth and weight it started falling down the sides. It was basically a disaster.

She is a far better cake baker than me. Any tips? This is the recipe I used. Is it even a good recipe?
http://www.joyofbaking.com/VanillaCake.html

Silkworm

15998820489_1d730fa52a_h.jpg

I made my wife a cake for her birthday.

It was dense and grainy. I didn't have any tools to make a smooth layer of frosting on all sides so I piped it on. Doing so got the icing warm and with the warmth and weight it started falling down the sides. It was basically a disaster.

She is a far better cake baker than me. Any tips? This is the recipe I used. Is it even a good recipe?
http://www.joyofbaking.com/VanillaCake.html

Hmmm, the recipe seems fairly standard and she gives very precise units which I always find helpful. I did notice your cake is 3 layers and the recipe calls for 2 layers. I'm not a professional baker like some here so I'm not sure if this would create any issues but I would assume you might have to adjust the baking time and then wouldn't you need more batter to fit 3x8 inch cake pans vs 2x9 inch pans? I'm not too adventuresome when it comes to baking so I typically follow things exactly as indicated in the recipe.

As for the icing, you might try refrigerating it for a bit to help it be more firm so that it wouldn't fall when you apply it to the cake via piping or as soon as you ice the cake put it in the refrigerator (assuming you have room). That seems a bit tricky, so maybe just invest in an spatula that way no adjustment necessary (and it shouldn't cost much at all). Also she mentioned you could separate the eggs and beat the whites to soft peaks and then incorporate the yolks to make a lighter/airier cake which would be easy to do.

zbarron

Hmmm, the recipe seems fairly standard and she gives very precise units which I always find helpful. I did notice your cake is 3 layers and the recipe calls for 2 layers. I'm not a professional baker like some here so I'm not sure if this would create any issues but I would assume you might have to adjust the baking time and then wouldn't you need more batter to fit 3x8 inch cake pans vs 2x9 inch pans? I'm not too adventuresome when it comes to baking so I typically follow things exactly as indicated in the recipe.

As for the icing, you might try refrigerating it for a bit to help it be more firm so that it wouldn't fall when you apply it to the cake via piping or as soon as you ice the cake put it in the refrigerator (assuming you have room). That seems a bit tricky, so maybe just invest in an spatula that way no adjustment necessary (and it shouldn't cost much at all). Also she mentioned you could separate the eggs and beat the whites to soft peaks and then incorporate the yolks to make a lighter/airier cake which would be easy to do.

Thanks. This was supposed to be a surprise for my wife and I was missing several tools. The cake was actually baked in a roasting pan and I carved out 3 circles using a bowl to trace. After research my wife and my best guess is that I didn't cream my butter enough and I never sifted the flour. I need to buy a sifter. Because I had to do this while she was at work I didn't have the time to chill the frosting.

I really should try whipping the egg whites too. Thanks.

Cooked up a really nice sirloin roast for my family earlier this week. As usual, too busy and forgetful to take progress shots.

Covered the roast in garlic paste, peppercorns, and rosemary salt. Let it dry out in my fridge for a night. Roasted that in a pan the next day, finished it with a pan sauce, threw together some mashed potatoes and voila. Delicious.

Silkworm

Thanks. This was supposed to be a surprise for my wife and I was missing several tools. The cake was actually baked in a roasting pan and I carved out 3 circles using a bowl to trace. After research my wife and my best guess is that I didn't cream my butter enough and I never sifted the flour. I need to buy a sifter. Because I had to do this while she was at work I didn't have the time to chill the frosting.

I really should try whipping the egg whites too. Thanks.

Woah, now I'm more impressed that it came out as well as it did! I would have been too afraid to try something with baking a cake in a roasting pan but you seemed to have pulled it off (at least in presentation). You were really inventive in using what you had available to make that cake which is impressive to me. I'm sure with right tools and modifications to your 1st attempt you'd ace it on your second go around. :)

Zyzyxxz

Half our prime rib gone, spent ~3-4 hours roasting this?

Looks great! Only thing is you might want to rotate it halfway during the cooking process next time, it seems uneven heating in your oven caused that portion of the beef to undercook.

Best way to combat this is to move your beef to different corners and rotate the roasting pan several times during cooking.

Also what temp did you do it at? It seems the outside cooked much faster than the interior.

CrankyJay

Banned
Half our prime rib gone, spent ~3-4 hours roasting this?

Looks good. It looks like some of the fat on the cap didn't render out.

Looks great! Only thing is you might want to rotate it halfway during the cooking process next time, it seems uneven heating in your oven caused that portion of the beef to undercook.

Best way to combat this is to move your beef to different corners and rotate the roasting pan several times during cooking.

Also what temp did you do it at? It seems the outside cooked much faster than the interior.

I tried the Kenji (Serious Eats) reverse sear method and it turned out great, wish I got pictures. Did 200F for 4-4.5 hours (it was a 9lb roast and put in cold). Took it to 113 and then let it rest for about an hour (carry-over heat took it to 125 on the nose), then I put it in my cast iron skillet and blasted it in the oven at 500 for about 10-12 minutes to get a nice crust on the outside.

Went to my Japanese import grocery store today, and scored a fucking fresh yuzu. Gonna plant the little fucker's seeds and try to raise our own tree.

Zyzyxxz

Looks good. It looks like some of the fat on the cap didn't render out.

I tried the Kenji (Serious Eats) reverse sear method and it turned out great, wish I got pictures. Did 200F for 4-4.5 hours (it was a 9lb roast and put in cold). Took it to 113 and then let it rest for about an hour (carry-over heat took it to 125 on the nose), then I put it in my cast iron skillet and blasted it in the oven at 500 for about 10-12 minutes to get a nice crust on the outside.

I think you might need to calibrate your oven or just rotate it a couple times during cooking to get a more even cook next time.

Shun

That was the innermost cut of a ~3kg piece and since I love my meat blue rare/rare, I'm satisfied with the red.

I should have shown a different slice where it wasn't as red, but I will definitely take your advice and rotate it. Making western food has been a new thing for me the past couple years and I'm slowly getting the hang of it.

It was my first time ever making prime rib and if I remember correctly, I did it at 225 with internal temperature at 120 F. I cooked it on the bone but I guess I should cut it off first next time.

A couple nights before making the prime rib, I made something I'm more used to.

Yosenabe and yakiniku. Sorry I don't have any picture before we started eating.
Out of season but was craving sakura daifuku and made some for desert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom