• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

zbarron

Any reason you used Cast Iron? I've only ever made caramel in a non-stick pot, and it works wonders both for cooking and cleaning up. You should be scraping the sides with a silicone spatula to clean the sides. Actually for my caramels the spatula is the only tool I need, along with a candy thermometer.

I have two largish pots. One is my Lodge 5 Qt Dutch Oven and the other is a very thin walled steel one that came with the induction cooktop. I read thin walls are bad so went with the Iron.

le-seb

I'm afraid you have to start over.

When making caramel, I'm using a wet brush to push the sugar back into the pot.
If you go this way, just be extra careful your brush is strained to prevent cold water dropping into the boiling sugar (explosion hazard!).

Also, if we're talking about this recipe, I'm a bit shocked the guy's mixing the sugar while it's cooking (although it looks alright in the end).
I never ever mix the sugar with any tool until adding cream, just using the pot's tail to stir the sugar.

No water to even dampen the sugar?
That, also!

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
I have two largish pots. One is my Lodge 5 Qt Dutch Oven and the other is a very thin walled steel one that came with the induction cooktop. I read thin walls are bad so went with the Iron.

The steel pot will be fine; I've made plenty of caramel on induction with cheap junk pots and had no issues at all.

That recipe is a bit odd, I agree. No water to even dampen the sugar? And stirring it?! Pretty unconventional.

zbarron

I am admitting defeat for today. I tried the recipe again and it was going perfectly up until after I added the butter. At that point the color was perfect and I'm curious if I can just stop there. Another thing I did different was I used whole milk instead of heavy cream since I don't have any and the price of heavy cream is about the price of caramel sauce, possibly more. Once I added the whole milk it turned that darker color and separated immediately. I followed through with the rest of the recipe seeing if that would save it. It came out the exact same. I will do caramel sauce another day with a different recipe. Thanks everybody for your help.

At least the house smells really good.

Vazduh

Made my first lava cake today and I love the way it turned out.

91Kw5Em.jpg

I'm definitely making this again.

Btw, zbarron, although the caramel sauce sadly didn't turn out the way it should have, I have to admit that the photo is beautiful. It looks like a jar of amber.

Regarding the caramel sauce, you can use the unsweetened condensed milk instead of heavy cream, but then it takes much longer to cook. When me and my friends made the Chocolate Salted Caramel Hazelnut Pie, we followed the recipe and I won't lie, it took at least 35-40 minutes for the sauce to cook.

The ingredients are the following: 300 g condensed milk, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 stick butter, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a generous pinch of salt. Basically, throw the ingredients in the pot (you don't need to caramelize the sugar immediately), and when it boils, turn down the heat and while it simmers, mix often. So, maybe this recipe will help, idk. Although the one you've tried is great, too.

zbarron

Made my first lava cake today and I love the way it turned out.

I'm definitely making this again.

Btw, zbarron, although the caramel sauce sadly didn't turn out the way it should have, I have to admit that the photo is beautiful. It looks like a jar of amber.

Regarding the caramel sauce, you can use the unsweetened condensed milk instead of heavy cream, but then it takes much longer to cook. When me and my friends made the Chocolate Salted Caramel Hazelnut Pie, we followed the recipe and I won't lie, it took at least 35-40 minutes for the sauce to cook.

The ingredients are the following: 300 g condensed milk, 3/4 cup sugar, 1/3 stick butter, a teaspoon of vanilla extract, and a generous pinch of salt. Basically, throw the ingredients in the pot (you don't need to caramelize the sugar immediately), and when it boils, turn down the heat and while it simmers, mix often. So, maybe this recipe will help, idk. Although the one you've tried is great, too.
That looks great.

Thanks. There was a silver lining. I just needed a little to put on top of brownies and I put both bad batches in a mason jar to dispose later. In the few hours between making them and making the skillet brownies a layer about half an inch thick of perfect caramel sauce formed on the top. I scraped it off and drizzled it on the brownies. It was perfect. It was just enough for the little party we had tonight. All's well that ends well.

Rookje

Doing a cake for my god daughter's first birthday. I suppose I could do a real cake and give her a little bit of that, but apparently there are actual baby cakes you can make that are "safer" for the baby. I guess I am concerned of how much icing the baby should eat.

Anyone have any suggestions?

CrankyJay

Banned
Doing a cake for my god daughter's first birthday. I suppose I could do a real cake and give her a little bit of that, but apparently there are actual baby cakes you can make that are "safer" for the baby. I guess I am concerned of how much icing the baby should eat.

Never heard this. Just give them a real cake.

We gave my daughter a regular cake. Nothing bad happened.

zbarron

I am with cranky. I have a 3 year old and just went to my friend's son's first birthday a few weeks ago. It's usually a cupcake for just the baby or cake with a good amount of icing that the kid can make a mess with and create some cute pictures. My only advice is not to use red icing. My son had an Elmo cupcake that stained his skin for days and furniture for weeks. Also babies can't eat honey so there's that if you were planning on a honey cake.

GiJoccin

no restrictions, just portion control - make the regular cake

but too much sugar and the baby might have diarrhea, so don't let the baby go to town on the icing

also, be aware that many food colorings can alter the color of your baby's poop, so don't freak out if it's funky colors (like lime green)

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Dinner was pasta with clams and scallops in white wine butter sauce

IMG_2261_zps4486a0a7.jpg

French apple tart with almond-walnut frangipane and pom seeds for dessert

IMG_2256_zpsad021517.jpg

zbarron

Dinner was pasta with clams and scallops in white wine butter sauce

IMG_2261_zps4486a0a7.jpg

French apple tart with almond-walnut frangipane and pom seeds for dessert

IMG_2256_zpsad021517.jpg
That looks stunning.

I really need to work on my presentation. My food while tasty can be most flatteringly described as rustic.

Tonight I am going for comfort food. Chips and greek yogurt dip, Bacon-Braised Green Beans, Mashed Sweet Potatoes, and hacked Sous Vide chicken breast. I need to figure out if I am doing anything else to the chicken besides sous vide at 140F for 2 hours followed by a quick sear.

Vazduh

OMG @ Cosmic Bus' photos *.* That tart looks especially beautiful. I've made something similar (with plums) recently, but it didn't look that good. It was very... rustic, lol.

That looks great.

Thanks. There was a silver lining. I just needed a little to put on top of brownies and I put both bad batches in a mason jar to dispose later. In the few hours between making them and making the skillet brownies a layer about half an inch thick of perfect caramel sauce formed on the top. I scraped it off and drizzled it on the brownies. It was perfect. It was just enough for the little party we had tonight. All's well that ends well.

I hope I'm not too late by answering only now. Thank you, btw :)

It's great that you've ended up with some sauce after all. Hopefully the next time you make it everything turns out great.

zbarron

OMG @ Cosmic Bus' photos *.* That tart looks especially beautiful. I've made something similar (with plums) recently, but it didn't look that good. It was very... rustic, lol.

I hope I'm not too late by answering only now. Thank you, btw :)

It's great that you've ended up with some sauce after all. Hopefully the next time you make it everything turns out great.
It's all good. It was definitely enough to top the brownies and it was a hit. Made a box mix seem like something special. I think my next time making caramel is when I give this recipe a shot. It uses condensed milk and seems a lot more foolproof. I'll work my way up to a dry caramel.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...-caramel-filled-shortbread-cookie-recipe.html
I am really excited to give this one a shot. I've been in a bit of a cookie rut making chocolate chip, sugar, snickerdoodle and the other basics. This one really catches my eye so I am pumped. I will probably give it a shot next week. I already used all of this week's food budget.

Vazduh

It's all good. It was definitely enough to top the brownies and it was a hit. Made a box mix seem like something special. I think my next time making caramel is when I give this recipe a shot. It uses condensed milk and seems a lot more foolproof. I'll work my way up to a dry caramel.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/...-caramel-filled-shortbread-cookie-recipe.html
I am really excited to give this one a shot. I've been in a bit of a cookie rut making chocolate chip, sugar, snickerdoodle and the other basics. This one really catches my eye so I am pumped. I will probably give it a shot next week. I already used all of this week's food budget.

I think you can't go wrong with that recipe, it really seems foolproof. Fingers crossed for the next time!

Btw, if you like coconut and orange, here's a good cookie recipe you could try:

Orange Butter Drops With Shredded Coconut

The recipe comes from the very good One Girl Cookies cookbook.

zbarron

I baked some simple muffins with cinnamon sugar and jam...

and chocolate crinkles.

They didn't crack much (probably because I didn't refrigerate the dough), but they tasted great, so at least there's that :)

Very nice. Those treats make my mouth water.

I've still been in a comfort food mood so I made corn dogs. They came out beautifully. I sliced an onion and lightly coated each slice in the corn/flour corn dog mix and we had onion rings. Even after all that there was still left over batter so I dropped the batter by the spoonful into the oil and we had hush puppies too. 3 tasty foods with one batter. I tried to take pictures but my camera's battery was dead. I will definitely do this again though. Cheap tasty dinner.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Finally got my vacuum sealer so I decided to make my maiden voyage in the world of sous vide. Here you have some 2 inch thick USDA choice tenderloins.

Bathed at 134F for almost 3 hours (I pulled at the 2:45 mark). Patted dry, seasoned with salt and seared 1 minute both sides in a screaming hot cast iron pan coated in grapeseed oil.

Served with some oven roasted red potatoes and sauteed mushrooms in butter and Marsala wine.

Took a closeup here for a buddy of mine...he told me not to post-sear my meat (and instead pre-sear it. As you can see, post searing really didn't take up much off the edges at all.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2010/03/how-to-sous-vide-steak.html

Look up searing. Don't pre-sear.

After some weeks now of experimenting, I'm going to go ahead and declare a Winner For All Time in the field of Vinegar Based Sauce/Marinade/Dressing Things to Hot & Spicy GunShot Sauce

http://gunshotsauce.com/gunshot/

All these years, sampling from here and there, I never really found anything special in vinegar-doings...I mean...far more palatable than Mustard or Mayo based things, but that's not saying much as those tend to be terrible to a degree I can only rationalize as a hyper-regional specialty that you just have to grow up in.

But this stuff...this stuff is absolutely bonkers. Found just one bottle crammed into a random discount shelf, decided what the hell, and have just today dragged it around in my insulated bag with some ice packs to 3 local places that expressed a curious interest---a higher end deli in particular absolutely raving over it as it got passed around the owners/staff and impounding about half of the freaking bottle for "sampling purposes".

That one oddball family in Tennessee has so thoroughly embarrassed god only knows how many other somewhat similar sauces from the region in general including the Carolinas---boggles the mind.

You want to try this stuff. You want your local grocers and whatnot to stock this stuff. It is amazing and may well expand your palate as it has now mine.

Keen

Aliens ate my babysitter
After some weeks now of experimenting, I'm going to go ahead and declare a Winner For All Time in the field of Vinegar Based Sauce/Marinade/Dressing Things to Hot & Spicy GunShot Sauce

All these years, sampling from here and there, I never really found anything special in vinegar-doings...I mean...far more palatable than Mustard or Mayo based things, but that's not saying much as those tend to be terrible to a degree I can only rationalize as a hyper-regional specialty that you just have to grow up in.

But this stuff...this stuff is absolutely bonkers. Found just one bottle crammed into a random discount shelf, decided what the hell, and have just today dragged it around in my insulated bag with some ice packs to 3 local places that expressed a curious interest---a higher end deli in particular absolutely raving over it as it got passed around the owners/staff and impounding about half of the freaking bottle for "sampling purposes".

That one oddball family in Tennessee has so thoroughly embarrassed god only knows how many other somewhat similar sauces from the region in general including the Carolinas---boggles the mind.

You want to try this stuff. You want your local grocers and whatnot to stock this stuff. It is amazing and may well expand your palate as it has now mine.

"We do not offer International Shipping." Meh :(

I'll have to see if I can get the local hot sauce-place to order a sample.

Well, they ARE just a super-small family outfit---while it is in plastic rather than glass, I'd imagine international shipping adds greatly to their woes and overhead since they are pretty much in DIY-mode.

As crowded out as the US market and most shelves are with, if we're honest here, abject shit---I'd be inclined to think they might well fare better having as few barriers to overseas markets in Europe and Asia especially considering...

CrankyJay

Banned

Should try some chicken soaked in Chiavettas and toss it on the grill...

7CHAffi.jpg

zbarron

Thanks everyone here. You got me craving BBQ. I just made my own sauce. It's based on THIS recipe. I added some spices and cocoa powder because it seemed really unbalanced as is. Maybe I'm just not used to it. Now it is tasty.

I put 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs in the slow cooker and poured the sauce over it until it was covered. I'll try to take a picture at dinner time with it.

Vazduh

Very nice. Those treats make my mouth water.

I've still been in a comfort food mood so I made corn dogs. They came out beautifully. I sliced an onion and lightly coated each slice in the corn/flour corn dog mix and we had onion rings. Even after all that there was still left over batter so I dropped the batter by the spoonful into the oil and we had hush puppies too. 3 tasty foods with one batter. I tried to take pictures but my camera's battery was dead. I will definitely do this again though. Cheap tasty dinner.

Thanks! If you need the recipe for one those, let me know.

Corn dogs are something I've never made (I usually bake them in puff pastry), but now I'm determined to give those a try :)

zbarron

Thanks! If you need the recipe for one those, let me know.

Corn dogs are something I've never made (I usually bake them in puff pastry), but now I'm determined to give those a try :)
I'd take the muffin recipe if you are offering. I just checked my storage closet and learned that I own a large muffin pan. Go figure. I'd still need to get liners though.

It was this recipe.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/corn-dogs/
I didn't have all the ingredients for Alton Brown's recipe but three trick of his I would recommend. One is pour the batter in a pint glass or some other tall glass. You can dip the hot dog vertically, swirl and it coats it perfectly. The second is he recommends disposable chop sticks that you get with takeout and not separating the sticks. I used bamboo skewers and they were slipping. The third is drying the hot dogs and putting the smallest amount of corn starch on them. The batter doesn't like sticking to wet dogs.

I also recommend letting the batter rest in the fridge for about a half hour before use. The cold stiffens it slightly making it perfect and it gives the cornmeal a chance to hydrate and gives the finished a corn dog a less gritty feel. That recipe will probably leave you with plenty of excess batter but as I said it's very versatile and you already got some hot oil.

I wish my camera was charged that night. It was like a state fair in my kitchen.

Oh man that looks so tender and delicious---damn, now I'm craving BBQ!

Thanks for the tip on that Chiavettas...the website makes a case for it indeed being a quality thing to keep an eye out for.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
One question... How do I make Kimchi?

I mean a really good and authentic tasting kimchi? There are a lot of recipes and I want to get straight to the best one.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
One question... How do I make Kimchi?

I mean a really good and authentic tasting kimchi? There are a lot of recipes and I want to get straight to the best one.

Any of them will probably be fine. It's like asking for an authentic recipe for an Italian red sauce or ragu; everyone has their own way of doing it.

I will say using kochukaru (korean chile powder) will have allow you to get closest to the flavor profile of most kimchi. Everything else is up to the cooks choice, even the base vegetable.

Edit: This recipe hits most of the things I like to put in it when I make it.

Vazduh

I'd take the muffin recipe if you are offering. I just checked my storage closet and learned that I own a large muffin pan. Go figure. I'd still need to get liners though.

It was this recipe.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/corn-dogs/
I didn't have all the ingredients for Alton Brown's recipe but three trick of his I would recommend. One is pour the batter in a pint glass or some other tall glass. You can dip the hot dog vertically, swirl and it coats it perfectly. The second is he recommends disposable chop sticks that you get with takeout and not separating the sticks. I used bamboo skewers and they were slipping. The third is drying the hot dogs and putting the smallest amount of corn starch on them. The batter doesn't like sticking to wet dogs.

I also recommend letting the batter rest in the fridge for about a half hour before use. The cold stiffens it slightly making it perfect and it gives the cornmeal a chance to hydrate and gives the finished a corn dog a less gritty feel. That recipe will probably leave you with plenty of excess batter but as I said it's very versatile and you already got some hot oil.

I wish my camera was charged that night. It was like a state fair in my kitchen.

Thanks for the recipe and especially for the advice, I'll definitely give it a try!

As for the muffins, here's the recipe (makes for 12 muffins):

Preheat the oven to 400 F.

In a bowl, mix one egg, 3/4 cups milk, 1/3 cup oil and a teaspoon of vanilla extract. In a separate bowl, mix 2 cups of all-purpose flour with 1/3 cups sugar, a pinch of salt and a teaspoon of baking powder.

Combine wet and dry ingredients, but try not to overmix.

In a paper-lined muffin tin, pour a generous tablespoon of batter into each of the cups. Sprinkle with some cinnamon sugar (mix 2 tablespoons sugar with a teaspoon of cinnamon), and then put a teaspoon of any jam you like (I used my mom's apple+grape+pumpkin jam), but of course, you can use Nutella or a similar spread if you'd like. Cover with batter until 3/4 full, and then sprinkle some more cinnamon sugar on top. Bake for 15-20 minutes, be careful not to overbake.

Serve warm. These muffins are simple, but they're delicious for breakfast with a cup of coffee.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Any of them will probably be fine. It's like asking for an authentic recipe for an Italian red sauce or ragu; everyone has their own way of doing it.

I will say using kochukaru (korean chile powder) will have allow you to get closest to the flavor profile of most kimchi. Everything else is up to the cooks choice, even the base vegetable.

Edit: This recipe hits most of the things I like to put in it when I make it.

Thanks, I have to try and find some korean spices but a bit harder here in northern Finland. But, first thing tomorrow I'll try with basic chili stuff I can find locally.

"Inspired by Grampa Wilford, Gunshot Sauce® is a savory, ALL NATURAL, vinegar-based, gourmet sauce tailor made to enhance the flavor of a multitude of culinary creations. Grampa Wilford, a colorful country tobacco farmer and BBQ enthusiast, earned quite a reputation for smoking some of the best pork shoulders around. But his technique was far from conventional. Assisted by his old 12-gauge, he would pack home-made shotgun shells with his secret sauce and shoot the shoulders full of intense flavor and spice as they slowly smoked to perfection. Every mouth in earshot would water whenever Gunshots rang out from Grampa Wilford’s farm. And while delicious on all kinds of pork BBQ, you’d be surprised how many delectable uses there are for this remarkable sauce.
"

Whoa! Gotta try this method.

Zyzyxxz

I've actually been doing a lot of cooking at home but for work since I'm in the process of opening a ramen restaurant. So I'll be posting photos from that if I can remember while I'm doing menu development.

I took a trip to Budapest and Tokyo 2 weeks and while Budapest I felt was rather boring I really liked Tokyo especially being my first time in Japan. Definitely need to go back to learn as much as I can about the food.

Here's the album: https://www.flickr.com/photos/johnlee104/sets/72157649233688518/

Some highlights I want to share:

Amazing quality of beef at the Tsukiji Market.

Hayashi omelette rice - basically a Japanese version of beef stew in a rich demi glace sauce over rice covered by a runny egg omelette.

Some of the most amazing beef tongue and beef heart I've ever had from kuroge wagyu cattle.

Shiina

I've actually been doing a lot of cooking at home but for work since I'm in the process of opening a ramen restaurant. So I'll be posting photos from that if I can remember while I'm doing menu development.

I took a trip to Budapest and Tokyo 2 weeks and while Budapest I felt was rather boring I really liked Tokyo especially being my first time in Japan. Definitely need to go back to learn as much as I can about the food.

Some of the most amazing beef tongue and beef heart I've ever had from kuroge wagyu cattle.

Daamn that price.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
This barely constitutes cooking but haven't posted in a while. My take on a classic "ham and cheese toastie" made with low carb bread, shaved ham, pepperoni, mozzarella, and blue brie (am on a low carb, high protein diet currently)

Zyzyxxz

Daamn that price.

Judging by visual quality and at current US dollar conversion rates that's about $50 per pound. Which is pretty cheap considering an 8 oz steak of that would be $25. Something a high end steak house in Los Angeles would charge $120-200 for.

:Amazing stuff in Japan:

Oh wow, this triggers all the salivation and wonder from what episodes I've seen of (New) Dotch Ryouri Cooking Show all over again! (Both versions of the show are stellar!)

PSA for IronGaf: Watching that show is never a mistake as you will get equal parts hungry and edutained to an even greater degree than the original Iron Chef---ESPECIALLY when they profile the special ingredients for each and really get into some compelling details.

zbarron

I just got a small 200ml bottle of crown royal whiskey. I tried a little and it's awful. Does anyone have a good recipe that uses it. I don't want to drink it but I don't want to be wasteful either. If anyone has a recipe that is also vegetarian that would be a bonus. All my dinners this week are going to be vegetarian.

zbarron

Is it safe to cook a piece of chicken breast thats been marinading in bbq sauce in the fridge since Friday afternoon?

Get confirmation first but I can't imagine it not being. If it is before the expiration date I don't see how it being in bbq sauce in the fridge would be worse than just in the fridge. The vinegar, salt and sugar in the bbq sauce are all natural preservatives. It may be mushy but I think it should be safe to eat.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Followed a recipe of 40 clove garlic chicken using purple garlic and oh my. Probably one of my favorite recipes. The sweetness from the garlics, cooked till it's melting and crushed into the sauce with some kept intact to pop into your mouth was so good. It works so well with the sweet liquoriceness of tarragon, the fruityness of the white wine and apple cider vinegar and the spiciness of a lot of black pepper, all blended into a savory sauce backed by the chicken stock and chicken juices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom