• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn

Midas said:
Awesome and inspiring thread, I made some food today and thought I could share some pictures. :)

Nice curry. I use a green curry paste available here in the states, coconut milk (light), red and green peppers, bamboo shoots, brown sugar, basil, chicken stock and fish sauce.

What was that large green leaf you put in?

Midas

I got green and yellow one too, I don't really know if there's any difference between them except color. I used way too much this time though, hardly tasted anything. Too hot.

Lime leaf. Adds a nice touch of flavor, but if you use too many it will taste really weird.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Awesome Curry, awesome burgers, thanks for sharing and consider yourselves blessed for such fine foods!:)

ChryZ

Those homemade and restaurant burgers are looking great. The Thai curry too!

OnkelC said:
Ideas / suggestions on what to cook tonight?
How about my Chicken Chili?

Chicken_Chili.jpg

ingredients

1,5 KG chicken breast (3.3 lbs, sliced)
1 CUP sundried tomatoes (chopped)
2 CUP cherry tomatoes (halved)
1 CUP chicken stock
1 CUP scallion green (sliced)
1 CUP scallion (sliced)
1/2 CUP red bell pepper puree
2 X garlic clove (chopped)
1 X green chile (chopped)
2 X red chile (chopped)
3-4 TBSP olive or veg oil
1 TBSP coriander seed
1 TBSP cumin seed
1 TBSP ground celery seeds
1 TBSP honey
1 TBSP lime juice
1 TSP salt and pepper (to taste)

Chicken_Chili_01.jpg

chop up the sundried tomatoes, red chile and garlic

Chicken_Chili_02.jpg

dry-roast cumin and coriander until fragrant

Chicken_Chili_03.jpg

add bell pepper puree, red chile, sundried tomatoes, cumin and coriander to a blender

Chicken_Chili_04.jpg

pulse-blend with oil or a sip of water if the paste is to thick for the blender

Chicken_Chili_05.jpg

blend until smooth, then add the green chile and pulse one or two times to keep it chunky

Chicken_Chili_06.jpg

combine chicken and paste, mix well, marinate and refrigerate over night

Chicken_Chili_07.jpg

the next day remove the chicken from the fridge around 30-60 min before cooking,
prep the scallions, cherry tomatoes and cook the rice (rice cooker <3)

Chicken_Chili_08.jpg

heat a big pan with lots of surface and brown the chicken, work in batches and
don't overcrowd the pan, one layer at the time, park on a plate and repeat

Chicken_Chili_09.jpg

deglaze the pan with the chicken stock and return all of the chicken

Chicken_Chili_10.jpg

then add the cherry tomatoes and most of the scallions (keep some for garnish)

Chicken_Chili_11.jpg

simmer until homogeneous, then season with honey, lime juice, ground celery seeds, salt and pepper

Chicken_Chili_12.jpg

serve on rice and garnish with sliced scallions, this recipe is good for around 6 servings

enjoy

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ, that is one fine chicken dish. Thank you for sharing. It would have been perfect because I could have used the leftover dried tomatoes from yesterdays dish.

BUT the idea of smirkrevenge to cook something vegetarian was kinda appealing, so I'll make a mushroom stew with (prefab) dumplings tonight.

ChryZ with another home run - that looks great. I'll be trying that sometime soon. :D

Onkel - I'm looking forward to the mushroom stew tonight. We get a lot of meat-laden dishes here on the thread (not that there's anything wrong with that ;) ), so it'll be good to have a look at some veggie food.

ChryZ

OnkelC said:
ChryZ, that is one fine chicken dish. Thank you for sharing. It would have been perfect because I could have used the leftover dried tomatoes from yesterdays dish.
I kinda hoped to hear more about that "pesto from sundried tomatoes" of yours or did I missed it? I got leftovers too :lol

Cornballer said:
ChryZ with another home run - that looks great. I'll be trying that sometime soon. :D
*blush*

It's really just a nice basic recipe ... and highly tweakable: some cilantro here, some cheese or beans there. Have fun :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
k, so first about the pestos:
I got a replacement for the recently late mixer of mine, and it came with some nice addons, such as a blender and a "magic wand", so pesto seemed a nice way to try it out.

Preparation of pesto is fast and easy, there is no cooking involved and with a litte pre-prep, the whole thing is done while the pasta is boiling.

These are the ingredients for two persons:
smallCIMG4461.jpg

a pound of decent pasta,

base for each pesto:
50 grams of Parmesan, Pecorino or Grana Padano cheese,
roughly 100 grams of pine seeds,
1 garlic clove,
salt for taste.

For the green pesto, I used two handful of fresh basil leaves and roughly 2 tablespoons of frozen parsley, alongside with some olive oil to smoothen things out.

The red pesto had about a handful of sundried tomatoes in oil, as well as some of that oil, a tablespoon of concentrated tomato puree and half a chile shoot.

First, roast the pine seeds in a pan without oil for a few minutes until they start to take colour:
smallCIMG4463.jpg

When the seeds start sizzling, remove the pan from the stove and set them aside:
smallCIMG4465.jpg

Start the pasta.

Now grate the cheese (100 grams in total):
smallCIMG4467.jpg

For the classic (green) pesto, blend the basil leaves with a garlic clove, some oil, half of the cheese and half of the pine seeds (I did it in several turns because the blender ain't that big):
smallCIMG4484.jpg

smallCIMG4485.jpg

smallCIMG4486.jpg

smallCIMG4487.jpg

smallCIMG4488.jpg

smallCIMG4490.jpg

Set it aside until serving.

The red pesto is prepared in a similar fashion, just substitute the basil and parsley with sundried tomatoes, chile shot (remove the seeds first) and tomato puree:
smallCIMG4473.jpg

smallCIMG4470.jpg

smallCIMG4474.jpg

smallCIMG4475.jpg

smallCIMG4476.jpg

smallCIMG4477.jpg

smallCIMG4478.jpg

smallCIMG4479.jpg

smallCIMG4481.jpg

smallCIMG4482.jpg

smallCIMG4483.jpg

When the pasta is about one minute from being al dente, add 1/2 ladle of the cooking water to the red and the green pesto and blend a last time.
smallCIMG4491.jpg

smallCIMG4493.jpg

smallCIMG4492.jpg

Finish Line:
Put the pestos in large bowls and add the pasta. Mix lightly:
smallCIMG4495.jpg

smallCIMG4497.jpg

DONE!

Serve hot and enjoy:
smallCIMG4498.jpg

Come to think of it, pesto qualifies as ovo-lacto vegetabile.
Mushroom stew is next.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
The mushroom stew is a fast and easy matter if you don't feel like meat or want something different. Doesn't cost the world, too. It can be served alongside rice, pasta, potatoes, with some crispy bread or with dumplings.
The ingredients for two persons are:
smallCIMG4501.jpg

Two handful of mushrooms (you can use any breed you like),
three spring onions,
cream, creme fraiche, cream cheese in flexible amounts, according to your taste,
dried chives,
some tomato puree,
a good cup of strong broth,
a good shot of cognac or sherry if you feel like it,

side dish of choice (we had some potato dumplings).

first, clean and cube the mushrooms to bite-sized chunks:
smallCIMG4504.jpg

cut the spring onions to rings:
smallCIMG4505.jpg

smallCIMG4506.jpg

Heat some oil or butter in a skillet and sautee the onions for a few seconds, then add the mushrooms and fry until they take a bit of colour:
smallCIMG4507.jpg

smallCIMG4508.jpg

smallCIMG4510.jpg

In the meanwhile, prepare the broth (I used some instant stuff as a tribute to monday):
smallCIMG4509.jpg

smallCIMG4511.jpg

Add the broth to the skillet, then add the tomato puree, creamy stuff and alcohol:
smallCIMG4512.jpg

smallCIMG4513.jpg

smallCIMG4514.jpg

smallCIMG4515.jpg

smallCIMG4516.jpg

Let the stew (It goes by the name of "Ragout" over here, sounds a bit more distinguished) braise for a few minutes, prepare the side dish in the meantime:
smallCIMG4519.jpg

Finish Line:
about a minute before serving, add the dried chives and stir them in:
smallCIMG4520.jpg

DONE!
Serve on a plate and enjoy a fast and hearty vegetarian dish:
smallCIMG4522.jpg

Enjoy!

Feel free to comment.

Haha, I'm allergic to both pine seed and pesto and you nailed them both in that recipe. :lol

Anyway, not much to add really, just want to say I'm still enjoying this thread on a daily basis, so keep up the good work all!

karlikk

Ok, here we go. My famous Curry Chicken in curry ananas(pineapple) with a lot of curry. Curry.
Ingredients:
Rice (how much? Depends how many mouths to be filled. I use a pack for 2 people)
Chicken fillets
Pineapple pieces (Mostly canned in syrup)
Canned Corn
2 small packs of sweet cream
Curry
Cayenne pepper (grinded/minced)
Black pepper (grinded/minced)
IMG_0355.jpg

Firstly put a pan on your stove, to warm it up and pour some cooking oil in it.
Meanwhile cut the chicken fillets in small pieces.
IMG_0358.jpg

Cook the chicken pieces till they get white, with just a little bit of brown. (that's_racist.gif) You can put a pot with water for the rice to warm up.

IMG_0361.jpg

IMG_0364.jpg

Now pour the sweet cream in the pan with the chicken pieces. Mix/stir everything all the time. You can put a bit of salt in the water the rice will be later in... and jam a little...

IMG_0366.jpg

when the sauce is cooking add the spices to it.
Be careful with the cayenne pepper it's really spicy, so i can't really tell how much you'll need... Just a little bit. Same with the black pepper, don't overdo it, you can put a bit more than that cayenne pepper though.
IMG_0369.jpg

IMG_0372.jpg

IMG_0374.jpg

Now... Curry! A lot of it, really, cover everything with curry. Also, you can put the rice in for cooking now.
IMG_0376.jpg

IMG_0379.jpg

Stir everything up and put the corn and pineapple pieces in there.
IMG_0381.jpg

IMG_0383.jpg

IMG_0384.jpg

IMG_0386.jpg

Wait till it boils = that means the sauce is ready.
That's it. Takes me about 30minutes. Lay the table and call your sweetheart to dinner.

IMG_0389.jpg

IMG_0391.jpg

This a shot from another day (her parents visiting). I kinda like the shot.

DSC01605.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Very nice, karlikk. And extra props for the Gretsch!:lol Thanks for sharing.

biodegradable bean, sorry to hear that. I f you want to go for a non-allergenic pesto, you could try to substitute the pine seeds with a nut of your choice. The herbs can be choosen after ones own taste too, just experiment a bit, the dish is versatile. I am happy that you are still around.

Keep it coming

Onkel - nice work on the dual-pesto. I have a slightly different version of red-pesto that I do from time-to-time, so I'll try and make it sometime soon so we can compare. Standard green pesto is one of my favorites. I always make a ton of it because the leftovers are great. I use pesto on toast w/ a poached egg on top, and sometimes I dip baby carrots in it. Yum.

Cool stuff, karlikk. I like that you added a couple random pictures of you playing guitar and your girl, too. The curry looks tasty.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
thanks Cornballer. New pesto variants would be cool, so post it goddammit!:lol I am still salivating over the burger pics of yours.

As for tonights dish, I think I'll just make some Spaghetti au beurre. Anybody feel free to fill the gap.

OnkelC said:
thanks Cornballer. New pesto variants would be cool, so post it goddammit!:lol
Sir, yes, sir! :lol I might get a chance to do it on Wednesday. My roommate is doing some fish (salmon, methinks) and wanted me to add a side dish. I'll see if red-pesto fits the bill.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Greco-style Fish (for 3 persons)

As promised, some more student kitchen stuff. What you need:

01lb2.jpg
02ez2.jpg

- Anything between 500-800 grams of fish (Cod, Tilapia & Sunfish will all do fine; you need some fish that doesn’t fall apart too fast). I used Sunfish this time, but it works out fine with Tilapia and Cod too.
- 1 small can of concentrated tomato paste
- 4 cloves of garlic
- Lots of parsley
- 2 lemons
- 15 green olives (sans the center/nucleus)
- 3 big tomatoes. The one’s I used are called ‘flesh tomatoes’ in Dutch, I don’t know if they have the same name in English.
- Olive oil, salt, pepper.

Serve with rice or baked potatoes and whatever type of veggies you like.

First, put the tomato paste in a bowl or pot. Squeeze the juice out of the two lemons and stir it
through the paste.

04zq3.jpg

Chop the garlic in small pieces,, cut the parsley and the olives.

03mj5.jpg

Add the garlic, parsley and olives to the paste/juice and stir everything thoroughly.

05dg9.jpg

Take the fish, put it in a oiled up (use some olive oil) plate that’s oven-proof and sprinkle salt and pepper on it.

06pj4.jpg

Cover the fish with the mixture:

07iu9.jpg

Cut the tomatoes in slices and put them on top:

08vv8.jpg

The dish tastes better if you let the mixture rest on the fish for some time (an hour or so). After this, pre-heat your oven, put it on 200 degrees Celsius (that’s 392 degrees Fahrenheit) for 30 minutes. In this time, you can prepare the rest of the dish. I served it with rice and mixed vegetables:

09bl9.jpg

And then….

I ate it :X. And I forgot to take a picture of the final dish, got distracted, thanks to the visitors.
So stupid. I’ll make a picture of the finished thing the next time I’ll cook it :lol.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Real nice and fine dish, good to have you back on board!
Don't bother about the missed pic, I made some real good cordon bleues in december and forgot to take a "DONE!" pic, too.
Thanks for sharing. More of the student kitchen please!:lol

Hyoushi

Okay. Just made some quick chicken Tikka Masala. I cheated with a readymade curry mix paste. Also, I forgot to take pics of the preparation, hehe.

Here is the sauce, simmering:
tikka_1.jpg

And here it is, all done:
tikka_2.jpg

I used Sharwood's curry paste:
tikka_3.jpg

The cooking is very simple.
Just chop up an onion and brown that in a nice skillet.
Then, add in three or four sliced breast fillets of chicken. Also, add in three tablespoons of the curry paste and one tablespoon of tomato puree and fry for five minutes.
Finally, pour on 2,5 dl of cream and let simmer for 15 minutes. Done! Thanks Sharwood's!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Poultry day on IronGAF confirmed!:lol

Thank you for contributing, Hyoushi, that looks hot on so many levels ;). Welcome to the thread.

Keep them a-coming, folks.

karlikk

Cornballer said:
Cool stuff, karlikk. I like that you added a couple random pictures of you playing guitar and your girl, too. The curry looks tasty.

Thanks, i wanted to do something like OnkelC writing "GAF" with some cream or something, unfortunately hadn't any ingredients to do that with. So i made up some other off-topic pics:)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
I think I'm going to do a raid on the convenience food aisle for tonight. Any wishes? Is there something particular that you would like to see? I am open to suggestions for the next 90 minutes.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Onkel, a lot of those pictures are bad for my appetite :X. Also, what other thread than this one to mourn the death of Mr Oetker. Many pizzas from his brand have ended in my stomach. RIP.

Midas

I'm still broke after christmas and new year. I'm eating the same stuff for a couple of days or just making pasta. Not that interesting!

ChryZ

So I've made Jajang Myeon for the very first time:

Jajang_Myun.jpg

"A popular Korean dish consisting of wheat noodles topped with a thick sauce made of black bean paste." (1|2)

ingredients

100 G pork (3.5 oz, diced)
180 G wheat noodles (6.3 oz)
1 X onion (diced)
1 X chili pepper (minced)
1 X potatoes (diced)
1 X carrot (diced)
1 X small zucchini (diced)
2 X garlic clove (mashed)
1/2 CUP cabbage (red, diced)
2-3 TBSP cucumber (sliced into matchsticks)
2-3 TBSP jajang paste
2-3 TBSP veg oil
1 TBSP starch
4-8 TBSP water or stock
1 TSP salt (to taste)
1 TSP sugar (to taste)

Jajang_Myun_01.jpg

the black-bean-based jajang paste on the left and the myun (noodles) on the right,

Jajang_Myun_02.jpg

saute the diced onion and chile, then add the pork and stir-fry at medium to high heat

Jajang_Myun_03.jpg

add the diced carrot and potato when the pork starts to brown, continue to stir-fry

Jajang_Myun_04.jpg

bring water to boil, add some salt and noodles to it, set timer to recommended cooking time

Jajang_Myun_05.jpg

add cabbage to pan, continue to stir-fry for a moment

Jajang_Myun_06.jpg

park veggies and pork in a bowl, lower heat, saute garlic and jajang in 2-3 tablespoons oil

Jajang_Myun_07.jpg

rinse off the noodles with cold water when they are done and transfer them to the serving bowl

Jajang_Myun_08.jpg

add pork/veggies back to the sauted jajang, stir well,
mix starch and water/stock and thicken the sauce with it,
season to taste with salt and sugar

Jajang_Myun_09.jpg

serve the hot black bean sauce on top of the noodles and garnish with cucumber

mix sauce and noodles before shovel time, watch your cloth ;)

it's also authentic to eat the sauce on rice, but then it's jajang bap (bap=rice)

enjoy

Looking tasty again, ChryZ!

All right, I had a chance to do the red pesto last night. The recipe is from the good folks at America's Test Kitchen. It's extremely easy and tastes great. 1 lb of pasta makes a lot to eat, so there will be leftovers unless you're feeding an army. Four of us finished about half of it last night. The rest went in the fridge - it keeps pretty well and can be reheated later.

====================
Pasta with Arugula, Goat Cheese, and Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto
Crisp fried capers make an excellent garnish for this dish.

Serves 4 to 6
1 cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes (one 8 1/2 ounce jar), drained, rinsed, patted dry, and chopped very coarse
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/4 cup walnuts , toasted in small dry skillet over medium heat until fragrant, about 6 minutes
1 small clove garlic , minced or pressed through garlic press (about 1/2 teaspoon)
3/4 ounce grated Parmesan cheese (1/2 cup)
Table salt and ground black pepper
1 pound campanelli or farfalle
1 medium bunch arugula (about 10 ounces), washed, dried, stemmed, and cut into 1-inch lengths (about 6 cups)
3 ounces goat cheese

1. In food processor, pulse sun-dried tomatoes, oil, walnuts, garlic, Parmesan, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/8 teaspoon pepper until smooth, about fifteen 2-second pulses, scraping down bowl as needed. Transfer to small bowl and set aside.

2. Bring 4 quarts water to rolling boil, covered, in stockpot. Stir in pasta and 1 tablespoon salt; cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 3/4 cup cooking water, and return pasta to stockpot; immediately stir in arugula until wilted. Stir pasta-cooking water into pesto; stir pesto into pasta. Serve immediately, dotting individual bowls with 1/2-inch pieces goat cheese.
====================

Pictures!
These are a little blurry because we went sans-flash
361300893_f92e7d58cc.jpg

The ingredients.

361300942_f7d2465564.jpg

Toast the nuts. You might want to use a spatula or something so you don't burn yourself - I choose to live on the edge. ;)

361300998_8084fdc489.jpg

Drain and rinse the sundried tomatoes. Captured in blurry-vision!

361301051_d72de0836a.jpg

Press the garlic into the Cuisinart along with the other ingredients.

361301103_b9cfd10df6.jpg

The sun-dried tomatoes, oil, walnuts, garlic, Parmesan, salt, and pepper are ready to go in the Cuisinart.

361301165_4a71d46590.jpg

Once the pesto is at a good consistency, put it in a small bowl with a little extra space so you can add pasta water later.

361301261_02703e64e2.jpg

Go ahead and have a beer - you deserve it!

361301317_ac62884f07.jpg

While the pasta is cooking, pull out some pasta water and add to the pesto.

361301370_fed76f1cac.jpg

When the pasta is finished cooking, drain and return to the pot. Then add the arugula and stir a bit to wilt it. I didn't chop or stem my arugula, as I like a little more texture than the recipe calls for.

361301443_4057c20a5e.jpg

Finish line. After mixing in the pesto and goat cheese to the pasta/arugula mix, we served up the pasta alongside some baked ham and a light salad. Enjoy!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ and Cornballer, real fine dishes!:)
The thread would be way poorer without your contributions.

I made some simple salad with tuna and cheddar tonight, accompanied by a roastbeef sandwich:

smallCIMG4539.jpg

smallCIMG4541.jpg

smallCIMG4542.jpg

To keep it in the words of the overlord:
contribute.gif

"CONTRIBUTE, COMMENT, GIVE SOME FEEDBACK FOLKS!"

karlikk

Onkelc, awesome work, sorry for not checking the thread too often, can't really hold up with you, but really awesome work, i wish i could do half of that...

Wow, Cornballer, nice pasta with pesto:) Gotta try that out, really nice shot with beer too.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ said:
Very nice ... so warm and welcoming!
seconded. It is a wonderful presentation. I dig the switchblade-style knife in particular, surely helps in the discussion about the last noodles :lol

Edit: and the beer pic was awesome too, definitely Avatar material.

Sorry for me commenting your dishes only scarcely at the moment, but loads of work here.

tnw

Banned
They sell black pesto near my place, which is essentially tapenade, but it's pretty darn tasty.

Wow this looks really really good. I absolutely love Korean food.

ChryZ

tnw said:
They sell black pesto near my place, which is essentially tapenade, but it's pretty darn tasty.

Wow this looks really really good. I absolutely love Korean food.
Thanks for the kind feedback. I love Korean food too, but that's not much of a surprise I guess :lol

Oh and thanks for bringing tapenade to my attention. I never heard of it and had to google it up:
finely chopped black olives, capers, anchovies, and olive oil ... just the thought made me drool :lol

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Tapenade's awesome stuff. ChryZ, a lot of your receipes look criminally tasty, and I forgot if I asked it before in one of the two earlier threads, but were do you buy the specific Korean and/or Asian stuff (I don't know were you live). There are small shops around were I live (Groningen, Netherlands) but almost all of'm are oriented at Chinese and Indonesian products. I have yet to find one that carries some of the things you use :/. Perhaps there's a Korean store in Amsterdam, I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.

ChryZ

Rei_Toei said:
Tapenade's awesome stuff. ChryZ, a lot of your receipes look criminally tasty, and I forgot if I asked it before in one of the two earlier threads, but were do you buy the specific Korean and/or Asian stuff (I don't know were you live). There are small shops around were I live (Groningen, Netherlands) but almost all of'm are oriented at Chinese and Indonesian products. I have yet to find one that carries some of the things you use :/. Perhaps there's a Korean store in Amsterdam, I'll have to check it out next time I'm there.
Usually stores with focus on Japanese goods tend to carry Korean stuff too. I'm sure Amsterdam will sort ya out.

ChryZ said:
Very nice ... so warm and welcoming!
OnkelC said:
seconded. It is a wonderful presentation. I dig the switchblade-style knife in particular, surely helps in the discussion about the last noodles :lol

Edit: and the beer pic was awesome too, definitely Avatar material.
:) Thanks guys. Unfortunately, I can't take much credit for the presentation here - we were over at my best friend's place downstairs in my apartment building. They have all the nice cutlery and place-settings, and his wife knows how to class it up. I live in a bachelor pad. ;)

Yeah, I may have to Avatar the beer pic sooner or later.

Tapenade sounds tasty - I'll have to give that a shot at some point. I think we might be grilling again this weekend (more football = more meat on the grill), so I'll snap some pics. Hope everyone has a good weekend.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Cornballer, I would like to see some BBQ pics. I am still intrigued by the thought of Blue cheese on burgers, will try that out as soon as possible.

Here are some of tonights' foods:

Nostrana con salmone (mixed salad with fried salmon strips):
smallCIMG4543.jpg

My fix of raw beef for the week:
smallCIMG4544.jpg

Tuna pizza:
smallCIMG4550.jpg

Piccata Milanese with mixed veggies:
smallCIMG4546.jpg

smallCIMG4547.jpg

Paglia e Fieno alla Leccabaffi (plain and spinach tagliatelle with a gorgonzola/mushroom sauce):
smallCIMG4551.jpg

Lasagna (mine's better :p) :
smallCIMG4548.jpg

smallCIMG4549.jpg

Enjoy.

Grecco

Awesome. Last time i had some was 4 years ago at my uncles wedding in rome. :D This thread is awesome. Ill probably post some Puerto Riccan recipees to mix it up a notch

Flo_Evans

damn this thread makes me hungry every time I look at it. :)

I have some pics of the 6lb beef tenderloin I cooked up for xmas I can post later so you dudes can see how us americans cook huge hunks of meat!

Flo_Evans

this is what 6 lbs of raw beef tenderloin looks like. It will set you back about $80 at the butcher shop.

mmmm... blood :) you should let the meat sit out for a bit to get up to room temp before putting in the oven.
meat001ed5.jpg

to increase the fat content we have added a half pound of bacon to the top! So it cooks evenly (and fits in the oven) you have to tuck the thin end under itself. Generous amounts of sea salt and fresh ground pepper and a few sprigs of rosemary complete the prep.
meat002ao4.jpg

after 30min in the oven at 350 degrees this is what comes out! For a good cut of meat you don't want to cook it past medium. Stick your thermometer in the thickest part, when its 120-125 its done! Take out of the oven and wait another 10-15min before you cut into it or the juices will all run out.
meat003tx9.jpg

I should of got pics of all the side items and final presentation but I wasn't really thinking about it at the time. I was hungry!

Good stuff, Flo. That looks damn tasty. Way to cook like a 'Merican. I'll try and do my part on Sunday with a fair amount of meat on the grill, too.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Flo, that looks voluptious. I guess that is one of the differences between the USA and Europe: Ours are smaller (and pork :lol ):

smallCIMG3009.jpg

Thank you very much for sharing.

Dishes for the weekend will be pork fillet kebab with prunes and Rösti for tonight, and a vegetable "tarte" for tomorrow. I'll make a Philadelphia cake on one of these days, too.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Tonights dish preview, more tomorrow:
smallCIMG4594.jpg

Place your "advance-to-next-page"-posts please, only 4 or so left! :lol

valparaiso

I had an Al Sharpton friend...Once! Well not a friend really, but we talked a few times. Well one time. Well I yelled out my window "GET OFF MY LAWN!"
OnkelC said:
Tonights dish preview, more tomorrow:
smallCIMG4594.jpg

Place your "advance-to-next-page"-posts please, only 4 or so left! :lol

are those kësëspëtzlë, onkel? (disclaimer: my german may or may not be excellent.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom