• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChryZ

Cornballer said:
Hope you enjoyed it!
Hell yeah, recipe please!

heavy liquid said:
latest food
Nice stuff, guys.

I'm still in Japanese cuisine mode so I made another popular classic:

Gyudon

Gyudon.jpg

"A Japanese dish consisting of a bowl of rice topped with beef and onion simmered in a mildly sweet sauce flavored with soy sauce and mirin."

ingredients

200-300 G beef (7-10 oz, thinly sliced)
300-500 ML dashi (1.3 CUP, water + 1 TSP instant dashi powder)
50 ML soy sauce (1/5 CUP)
50 ML mirin (1/5 CUP, sweet cooking rice wine)
50 ML sake (1/5 CUP, rice wine)
2 X ginger (thumbsized, grated)
4 X garlic clove (slices)
3 X onion (sliced)
2-3 TBSP beni shoga (pickled ginger)

Gyudon_01.jpg

prep the onions, ginger, garlic, beef and beni shoga

Gyudon_02.jpg

place the onion slices into a dry pan and crank up the heat

Gyudon_03.jpg

add mirin when the onions are getting fragrant, don't burn them

Gyudon_04.jpg

add soy sauce after a few minutes, simmer, then add sake

Gyudon_05.jpg

grate ginger into the pan while the sauce is simmering on medium heat

Gyudon_06.jpg

slice the garlic into the sauce, as thinly as possible

Gyudon_07.jpg

add the sliced beef and steam it a moment on top of the sauce
(not much stirring involed with this dish, but separating the beef slices is a good idea)

Gyudon_08.jpg

add the dashi and bring to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer

Gyudon_09.jpg

serve on rice when the sauce reduced, top with beni shoga ... gyudon

itadakimasu

tnw

Banned
gee...err I have this what some might feel is strange dislike for mirin and katsuo. I suppose if it it used correctly in proper amounts it might taste okay...but so much japanese food is over powered with these two flavors, especially bad cheap stuff, that I just find most of it unedible.

Anyway, I make tamadon sometimes (egg donburi). It's good and simple. Being vegetarian I've obviously never tried gyudon, but it doesn't seem like it would be all that different

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Dang ChryZ, that looks mighty fine. I am wondering about just "cooking" the beef strips, wouldn't it add a lot of flavor to stir-fry it beforehand?

Tonights dish will be a German winter classic, a nice Bratwurst with mashed potatoes, roast onions and maybe some fried apples.

OnkelC said:
Cornballer, that is an impressive piece of cooking. It is really interesting to see the advanced bbqueing techniques from "ze States", such time-intensive grilling/smoking dishes are uncommon over here. The usual grilling paradigm in Germany is (rightfully) ill-reputed as "turbo-grilling", aka get the coal started FAST, get the meats done FAST, drown it in condiments FAST :lol. It is considered “manly” to have the actual grilling process done quick, so the crew can focus on the booze early ;)
It's always interesting to hear the different techniques/philosophies on cooking from other parts of the world. That's too bad that speed-grilling seems to be the norm over in Germany. It's not to say that we always slow-cook things here, there are lots of times when I miss having a gas grill to just whip something up quickly. BBQing is new to me - I've only tried out a handful of recipes so far. Before I started into this, I always used direct heat and cooked things fast. It's a fun to experiment with more indirect heat and smoking these days - the results are different and typically pretty pleasing. Plus it's fun to just put something on the grill for hours, and then hang out and have a few beers waiting for it to finish. Maybe the anticipation makes it taste better. :lol

ChryZ - I'll try and get the recipe up tonight for the pulled pork.

heavy liquid - I like the look of that tilapia. Quick, tasty dishes are always appreciated. Looks good for a work evening when you want something healthy and fast.

YakiSOBA

I'm cooking lasagna for my female friend this saturday night, and I dont know how! LOL
GAF -- gimme recipe! I have all the ingredients (some list I found online) but I'd like to know a tried-and-true method of actually cooking/creating this thing!!

YakiSOBA said:
I'm cooking lasagna for my female friend this saturday night, and I dont know how! LOL
GAF -- gimme recipe! I have all the ingredients (some list I found online) but I'd like to know a tried-and-true method of actually cooking/creating this thing!!
I have two that I use. Neither one involves cooking the noodles, which saves you a considerable headache. The first one is serviceable and easy (but at time turns out a little dry), and the second one is slightly more difficult but oh-so-tasty. I think my friend that makes the second one tends to double the amount of sauce to make it more juicy. Have fun, and let me know if you have questions...

Quick Lasagna said:
Makes one 9x13 tray of lasagne.

Meat Sauce:
1/2 lb ground beef
2 cans of marinara sauce (15 oz each)
1/2 c. dry vermouth
1/2 c. water
pinch of cinnamon

Spinach Filling:
1 pkg (10 oz) spinach (thaw and squeeze to drain)
1 c. ricotta cheese
1 c. parmesan
2 eggs
1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. pepper
1/8 t. nutmeg

Remaining Ingredients:
1 8 oz pkg wide noodles (don't cook them)
12 oz. grated mozzarella
4 oz. parmesan for top

1. To make the meat sauce, brown the meat in a skillet. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil

2. To make the spinach filling, combine the ingredients in a cuisenart and blend until smooth.

3. To construct the lasagne in a 9x13 tray, layer in the following order:
A. 1/4 of the sauce, one layer of noodles, 1/2 of the mozzarella
B. 1/4 of the sauce, one layer of noodles, spinach filling
C. dab of the sauce, 1/2 the mozzerella, one layer of noodles
D. remaining sauce, any remaining mozzerella and the parmesan

4. Cover tightly with aluminum foil. It's important that there's a pretty tight seal because you don't want any liquid escaping. Bake at 375 degrees for one hour. Remove, let it cool for a few minutes, then enjoy.

SAUSAGE said:
SAUCE
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 pound spicy Italian sausages, casings removed
1 cup chopped onion
3 large garlic cloves, chopped
2 teaspoons dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with added puree
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with green pepper and onion (do not drain)

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add sausages, onion, garlic, oregano and crushed red pepper and sauté until sausage is cooked through, mashing sausage into small pieces with back of fork, about 10 minutes. Add crushed tomatoes and diced tomatoes with juices. Bring sauce to boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer 5 minutes to blend flavors. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Chill until cold, then cover and keep chilled.)

FILLING
1 1/2 cups (packed) fresh basil leaves
1 15-ounce container plus 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
1 1/2 cups (packed) grated mozzarella cheese (about 6 ounces)
3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 ounces)
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Using on/off turns, chop fresh basil leaves finely in processor. Add ricotta, mozzarella, Parmesan, egg, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Using on/off turns, process filling until just blended and texture is still chunky.

ASSEMBLY
12 no-boil lasagna noodles from one 8-ounce package
3 cups (packed) grated mozzarella cheese (about 12 ounces)
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese (about 3 ounces)

Nonstick olive oil spray Preheat oven to 375°F. Spread 1 1/4 cups sauce in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Arrange 3 noodles on sauce. Drop 1 1/2 cups filling over noodles, then spread evenly to cover. Sprinkle with 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Repeat layering of sauce, noodles, filling and cheeses 2 more times. Top with remaining 3 noodles. Spoon remaining sauce atop noodles. Sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Spray large piece of foil with nonstick olive oil spray. Cover lasagna with foil, sprayed side down.

Bake lasagna 40 minutes. Carefully uncover. Increase oven temperature to 400°F. Bake until noodles are tender, sauce bubbles thickly and edges of lasagna are golden and puffed, about 20 minutes. Transfer to work surface; let stand 15 minutes before serving.

6 to 8 servings
Bon Appétit
February 2000

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
YakiSOBA said:
Hi and welcome back YakiSOBA. You could try to make the one from Volume 1:

(Ingredients link)

(Preparation link)

Be sure to skip the part with the cut finger and report back with the results!

ChryZ

OnkelC said:
Dang ChryZ, that looks mighty fine. I am wondering about just "cooking" the beef strips, wouldn't it add a lot of flavor to stir-fry it beforehand?
If you sear the meat then it isn't gyudon anymore. I was actually tempted by my western upbringing to apply searing for the maillard reaction, but I had to constrain myself in the name of authenticity. Anyway, gyudon is delicious ... seared beef or not :lol

Cornballer said:
I'll try and get the recipe up tonight for the pulled pork.
Excellent, looking forward to it :D

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ said:
If you sear the meat then it isn't gyudon anymore. I was actually tempted by my western upbringing to apply searing for the maillard reaction, but I had to constrain myself in the name of authenticity. Anyway, gyudon is delicious ... seared beef or not :lol
I bet :lol

Excellent, looking forward to it :D
Yeah, me too. TYPE FASTER!

So, let's cook.
The temperatures over here have dropped way below zero (Celsius) over the past few days, which calls for some hearty food. Some "Bratwurst" with mashed potatoes fits that bill. Preparation is simple and fast. Overall cost of this dish was around 5 Euros for two persons, so it would be fitted for broke students, too ;)

The ingredients are:

smallCIMG4700.jpg

two handful of potatoes (a mealy type would be best),
sausages of choice,
some butter, milk and nutmeg (not pictured),
one large onion,
one or two apples.

First, peel and cube the potatoes and let them boil with a good amount of salt until the cubes are easy to eat:
smallCIMG4701.jpg

Cut the onion into rings and fry them at medium to high heat in a with a bit of salt:
smallCIMG4702.jpg

smallCIMG4705.jpg

smallCIMG4710.jpg

Get the sausages going (do not forget to pinch them first):
smallCIMG4704.jpg

smallCIMG4708.jpg

When you turn them over for the first time, add the quartered and core-stripped (sp?) apples and fry them along:
smallCIMG4711.jpg

Finish Line:
The potatoes should be done by now. Drain them and let them steam off for a minute. Cube a decent piece of butter, add the potatoes and a hint of nutmeg, pour some milk and mash away:
smallCIMG4703.jpg

smallCIMG4709.jpg

smallCIMG4712.jpg

smallCIMG4713.jpg

smallCIMG4714.jpg

smallCIMG4715.jpg

DONE?
smallCIMG4716.jpg

DONE!
smallCIMG4719.jpg

smallCIMG4720.jpg

smallCIMG4721.jpg

Enjoy and keep posting!

Here's the ingredients for BBQ pulled pork. Check this out for the recipe.

Spice rub:
1/4 cup sweet paprika
2 TBS chili powder
2 TBS ground cumin
2 TBS dark brown sugar
2 TBS salt
1 TBS dried oregano
1 TBS granulated sugar
1 TBS ground black pepper
1 TBS ground white pepper
1-2 teaspoons cayenne pepper

Rub this on 6-8 lbs of pork shoulder, wrap tightly with plastic wrap and leave in the fridge for 3 hours to 3 days before cooking.

To cook: Bring the pork up to room temperature. Cook in a pan with indirect heat on a bbq for 2 hours. Then put in the oven at 325 degrees for another 2 hours. Let it cool in a brown paper bag for an hour, then shred, add sauce, and serve it up.

365348421_4dae0ff80b.jpg

BBQ sauce:
2 TBS vegetable oil
1 medium onion, minced
1 (8oz) can tomato sauce
1 (28oz) can whole tomatoes, with their juice
3/4 cup distilled vinegar
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
2 TBS molasses
1 TBS sweet paprika
1 TBS chili powder
2 teaspoons liquid smoke (optional)
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground black pepper
1/4 cup orange juice

1. Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat until hot and shimmering (but not smoking). Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown, 7-10 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting and simmer, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until thickened, 2-2.5 hours.
2. Puree the sauce, in batches if necessary, in a blender or the workbowl of a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Transfer the sauce to a bowl and use immediately or let cool, then store in an airtight container. (The sauce can be refrigerated for 2 weeks or frozen for several months.)

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thanks for sharing, Cornabller. Especially the BBQ sauce sounds promising:)

No cooking from me for today and tomorrow, we got some restaurant visits coming up. Please share your dishes and thoughts!

ChryZ said:
Sweet, many thanks to you and your friend!
OnkelC said:
Thanks for sharing, Cornabller. Especially the BBQ sauce sounds promising:)
No problem, guys. I'm happy to help. Let me know if you give it a try.

I'm probably not cooking again until Monday at the earliest. Have a great weekend!

Great dishes everyone! It's lunchtime where I am, and I'm hungry now. :)

Last night was a carry out night for me. I had Pad Ped with shrimp and Tom Yum soup from a local Thai restaurant.

Pad Ped is shrimp (or whatever meat you like) stir fried with hot curry, bell pepper, tomatoes and bamboo shoots.

Tom Yum is a hot and sour soup with chicken, mushroom, lemon grass, green onion and herbs.

DSCF0904.jpg

DSCF0911.jpg

DSCF0913.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
The dishes of tonight were:
Salad with turkey strips:
smallCIMG4726.jpg

Carpaccio:
smallCIMG4544.jpg

Spaghetti with tomato sauce and chard:
smallCIMG4729.jpg

small pizza "Quattro Stagioni":
smallCIMG4730.jpg

small pizza with salmon and onions:
smallCIMG4728.jpg

Calzone:
smallCIMG4731.jpg

Enjoy

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Bud said:
Onkel, are you a pro chef or something? Your food looks really good and tasty :p
nah, just an amateur. the last pics were restaurant food.

We went to a Greek restaurant which was recommended to us yesterday, only to find out that the place sucked big time. We were waiting like 90 minutes for the food, it then was served with a 10-minute delay from person to person, and the dishes itself were kinda lame.

filled wine leaves (canned?)
smallCIMG4736.jpg

Fried feta cheese in an egg coating (tasted like Oregano overkill, was lukewarm and meh):
smallCIMG4737.jpg

Gratined artichokes (canned goodness with some gouda wtf):
smallCIMG4739.jpg

Souvlaki (aka salted pork lumps on a stick):
smallCIMG4742.jpg

Roast Halloumi, in this incarnation basically the calamari of cheeses in terms of stretchyness:
smallCIMG4738.jpg

A "mixed Grill", but it tasted more like cooked. The meatballs could qualify as a vegetarian dish due to the sheer amount of bread used :p
smallCIMG4741.jpg

Best thing was that we paid 95 Euros for four persons.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
After the disappointment from yesterday, I wanted to do something fast and easy.
Just cook some potatoes, cover them with raclette cheese and bake it for a few minutes. Serve with a mixed salad and enjoy!
smallCIMG4759.jpg

As a bonus, I dared the peanut butter and jelly bread ;) :
smallCIMG4745.jpg

Have a nice Sunday and see you all next week.

I know this is kind of a generic questions, but what types of foods/meals are best for either making ahead of time and freezing or are good as leftovers? Most of the time I am cooking only for myself so I feel like a lot of food is going to waste, especially if the recipe has a lot of ingredients and was relatively expensive to make.

holliberry said:
I know this is kind of a generic questions, but what types of foods/meals are best for either making ahead of time and freezing or are good as leftovers? Most of the time I am cooking only for myself so I feel like a lot of food is going to waste, especially if the recipe has a lot of ingredients and was relatively expensive to make.
Soups ans stews freeze pretty well. I also freeze a fair amount of lasagna because it holds up very well for freezing and reheating later.

I was at a wedding on Saturday night. A couple food highlights.

372404364_7ec3c00721.jpg

Teeny cups of butternut squash soup. Yum!
No, my friend is not a giant, that's just a tiny cup. ;)

372409306_ce863428b5.jpg

Filet mignon, salmon, mashed potatoes, and green beans. Dinner was very tasty.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
**** yes.

Ever since I was in Japan I have this itch for curry. ****ing loved paying ¥400 for a huge heaping plate, ¥600 if I wanted some meat.
So, let's ****ing make some.

Curry-01.JPG

Only thing I forgot an onion, but the roads are far too shitty for me to go out again. I'll do without
What's not pictured is the splash of milk I put in, the spices (garlic salt and pepper) and le secret ingredient. :D
Curry-02.JPG

Chop carrots! 2 cups worth.
Curry-03.JPG

Same with potatoes!
Curry-04.JPG

Boil 'em up! I put in too much water, so I ended up dumping some, so I can't really give a good estimate. Maybe 4ish cups?
Curry-05.JPG

Rice of course! I don't have a cooker, unfortunately. So I just boil it up. I make a good amount 'cause I ****ing love rice and I'm having this for lunch tomorrow.
Curry-06.JPG

The curry paste! In four convenient cubes.
Curry-07.JPG

Chop that shit up fine. I added only two at first, but then looking I realized no way would that be enough. All four cubes went in.
Curry-08.JPG

OMG ACTION SHOT!
A decent splash of milk.
Curry-09.JPG

Shake in a spoonful (I ended up not using all of it) of secret ingredient. XD
Add in pepper and garlic salt.
At this point you're going to boil it to hell. Basically you're waiting for it to get kinda thick, the rest will come when it cools a bit.
Right now, grill up the chicken patties however you see fit.
Curry-10.JPG

Put chicken patty, sliced, on top of rice.
Curry-11.JPG

I think it went for about a half hour, I'm a bad cook and didn't time it. Right now it's at about the right texture.
Curry-12.JPG

Spoon some of that delicious stuff on top and en****ingjoy!

tnw

Banned
filled wine leaves (canned?)
smallCIMG4736.jpg

Onkel, we usually call these 'stuffed grape leaves' in english. Some places will call them Dolmas, like the original greek name.

They're the best! I can just eat them forever, and a lot of times they make them vegetarian which is great for me.

That fried feta cheese looks really good. Too bad it didn't actually taste that good.

I also really like the German custom of using Just mustard, and good mustard at that. In the US we kind of use crappy mustard with meh ketchup, kind of gross. When i can, I usually eat my french fries with a good seeded mustard. tasty.

Heavy Liquid, that Thai food looks awesome. There's a little thai place down the hill from my apartment that makes great red curry and something called kushinsai in Japanese. I don't know what it's called in English....

Reverent Kioku, is that Jasmine rice you're making with that Japanese curry? Oh well, it's not like the thai place down the street doesn't serve Japanese rice with my Thai red curry.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
tnw said:
Reverent Kioku, is that Jasmine rice you're making with that Japanese curry? Oh well, it's not like the thai place down the street doesn't serve Japanese rice with my Thai red curry.
I subscribe to the notion of "cook with what I ****ing have". :D

sorry...haven't posted in awhile. here was tonight's dinner:

sambal eggplant. my first time to make this dish.
ingredients:
1 eggplant
1 packet of sambal sauce
a few cloves of garlic

first i fried the eggplant in some peanut oil. then i lightly sauteed the sliced garlic, added the fried eggplant, and then the sauce. turned out pretty tasty and very similar to the sambal eggplant i have at a favorite singaporean restaurant of mine.

372714551_569863f707.jpg

clockwise from top: karaage chicken, sambal eggplant, rice, bean sprouts.

372714435_2c429bedbe.jpg

it was also my first time to make karaage chicken.
ingredients:
1 chicken thigh, cubed

marinade:
soy sauce
white wine/sake (all i had was wine in the fridge)
rice vinegar
sliced garlic
sliced shallots

i marinated for about 30 minutes.

coating:
even mix of katakuri-ko (potato starch) and regular flour

dipped the marinated chicken in the coating, and fried in peanut oil. i prefer dark meat over white meat, so it turned out to be very tasty and tender.

tnw

Banned
wow, that eggplant looks great! We have a jar of sambal sitting in the fridge that my roommate bought ages ago, but I never knew how to use it. I really like eggplant, so I'll have to try this.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thank you all for the fine dishes! Keep'em coming!

Cornballer, beef and salmon on the same plate must mean that there is something special going on:lol

rk, that is one fine curry. Welcome to the thread.

And welcome back, smirkrevenge, that eggplant looks like a fine side dish for BBQed goods. If you do not have Sake at hand, you can also substitute it with a dry Sherry.

Mystery dish for me tonight aka don't have a clue what to cook.

ChryZ

holliberry said:
I know this is kind of a generic questions, but what types of foods/meals are best for either making ahead of time and freezing or are good as leftovers?
From the top of me head: rice, beans (whole, refried, etc), tortillas, roast slices in gravy, casserole stuff (e.g. mussaca, baked mac'n'cheese, tetrazzini, etc), pasta sauces

smirkrevenge said:
karaage chicken, sambal eggplant, rice, bean sprouts
I love karaage! I usually marinate with ginger, garlic, S&P, soy sauce and coat with corn/normal flour (1:1 ratio). The sambal eggplant is a nice idea for a side dish, gotta try it too.

OnkelC said:
I dared the peanut butter and jelly bread
How was it?

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
ChryZ said:
How was it?

Honest or polite answer? ;)

It wasn't as bad as I imagined it, but my personal thought is that peanut butter is suited better with hearty toppings. I made the next one with a slice of pork roast cold cut and Emmental cheese, which was tastier. I still have to try out PB with Nutella or a similar spread, which should be a real taste sensation.

Edit
pics of the hearty pb bread:
smallCIMG4746.jpg

smallCIMG4747.jpg

smallCIMG4748.jpg

That's more like it.

ChryZ

OnkelC said:
It wasn't as bad as I imagined it, but my personal thought is that peanut butter is suited better with hearty toppings.

Crazy talk! :lol

88421759_3147e38316.jpg

Soooooo good! *drool*

RevenantKioku said:
Ever since I was in Japan I have this itch for curry.
Ever since I was in thread this morning I have this itch for curry. So I made some too:

This time with pork, mushrooms, onions, carrots and potatoes.

Here some nice leftovers-porn for holliberry, time to re-stock the freezer:

Japanese_Pork_Curry_02.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Nice work Chryz. Thanks for sharing. I need to get a hold of some curry paste and try it out myself.

Everybody else, what is it for dinner at yours?

OnkelC said:
Everybody else, what is it for dinner at yours?
Getting a pre-made quick meal from Trader Joe's as I'm heading to an early movie tonight. They do chicken breasts stuffed w/ ricotta cheese under some marinara that's pretty tasty. I'll take some pics if I have time.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
smirkrevenge said:
midas, whatever that is -- that looks tasty!

please share the details!

Same here. My guess would be Köfte of some sorts? What kind of sauce did you use there? Please give us some insight!

jman2050

Cooked Fettuccine Alfredo with Shrimp tonight. It was absolutely awesome. No pictures (no camera), but it turned out great.

As you can tell, I'm a sucker for pasta and cheese :p

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
I described the preparation of bolognese sauce several times before, but I felt like some soul food for tonight. So enjoy the pics and share your thoughts (it is a bit quiet in here at the moment):
smallCIMG4775.jpg

smallCIMG4774.jpg

smallCIMG4779.jpg

smallCIMG4782.jpg

smallCIMG4781.jpg

puck1337

I love bolognese - my wife makes an amazing version of it, so I don't even bother anymore.

My most recent kitchen success was a Spanish-inspired potato and sausage dish. I didn't use a recipe and I had been up for something like 3 days straight, so I won't pretend that I can transcribe it. I'll try to write down what I'm doing the next time that I make it.

I will say two things about it:

- Using good pimenton (Spanish smoked sweet paprika) really brought it alive. I have a feeling that I'm going to use this stuff a lot more.

- It probably would have tasted better and been more authentic with chorizo instead of the too basily Italian sausage that I used.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
puck1337 said:
I love bolognese - my wife makes an amazing version of it, so I don't even bother anymore.

My most recent kitchen success was a Spanish-inspired potato and sausage dish. I didn't use a recipe and I had been up for something like 3 days straight, so I won't pretend that I can transcribe it. I'll try to write down what I'm doing the next time that I make it.

I will say two things about it:

- Using good pimenton (Spanish smoked sweet paprika) really brought it alive. I have a feeling that I'm going to use this stuff a lot more.

- It probably would have tasted better and been more authentic with chorizo instead of the too basily Italian sausage that I used.
hi puck and thanks for the idea. It would benice to see more of it in the future.

Keep'em coming!

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
So, let's cook.
I went for a rather basic but tasty dish tonight, Potatoes with a quark/chive dip.

The ingredients are:
smallCIMG4783.jpg

Potatoes (cook them with the peel on),
Quark,
a bit of milk,
chive,
salt and pepper.

Cook the potatoes in heavy salted water:
smallCIMG4787.jpg

Mix the cut chive, quark, salt and pepper with a hint of milk and let it rest at room temperature until the potaotes are ready:
smallCIMG4785.jpg

smallCIMG4786.jpg

And that's about it. Set an extra plate for the potato peels, peel them while they are still hot and you are DONE!
smallCIMG4791.jpg

smallCIMG4792.jpg

smallCIMG4793.jpg

Enjoy and give a bit of feedback please, it is getting a bit boring to post on my own.

The potatoes look good, OnkelC. Yum. I haven't been cooking much this week - just a lot of eating out + leftovers. I'll be back into the swing of things in a few days.

Just for conversation fodder - there was an interesting article this morning from the NY Times regarding using your broiler. There's some embedded video in the full article as well as a few recipes in the left hand column here.

NY Times said:
The Boring Old Broiler Turns Out to Be a Superstar
By MARK BITTMAN

IT’S right there, invisible, inside your oven, the most underappreciated, taken-for-granted appliance in your kitchen: the broiler.

Bread machines, microwaves, sandwich-makers, electric grills and other “must-haves” come and go, but the broiler is always there. Hundreds of books are written about grilling, roasting, frying, even microwaving and steaming, for crying out loud, yet the broiler is largely ignored.

The broiler is free — that is to say, you already own one — and easy to use. It is essentially an upside-down grill, but it produces results you cannot duplicate any other way. It even has a couple of distinct advantages over the outdoor grill and the countertop version.

As a boy, I watched my mother broil almost every night in our oversize “rotisserie,” which took up half the counter space in our modest Manhattan apartment. (I fear that she, too, was a victim of gadget marketing; our oven broiler remained unused.)

As a young food writer, freed from the constraints of the city, I wrote about the joys of wintertime grilling. As a middle-aged food writer, I’m writing about the benefits of wintertime broiling: you don’t have to brave the weather, and you get a warmer kitchen. All you need to do is turn a dial (or, these days, frustratingly, push a couple of buttons, one of them several times). And — a real bonus that you do not get with grilling, either indoor or outdoor — the juices of whatever you’re broiling stay in the pan.

You’ve probably seen cookbook directions that start “on the grill or under the broiler,” as if they were the same thing. Broiling, though, requires some different techniques, and it’s taken me some time and a little rewriting of the rules to optimize my skills.

First of all, forget about broiler pans and aluminum foil. As everyone knows, the pan is nearly impossible to clean (which explains the aluminum foil), and it’s designed to allow the valuable juices — mostly fat, but, hey, fat is flavor — drip through the grate and into the bottom. What good are the juices doing you there? The problem with most of today’s meat is not too much fat but too little, so there’s no need to get rid of it.

Another problem with broiler pans is that they trap air under the food, keeping the underside cool, which makes turning necessary, increases cooking time, and reduces browning. By using a skillet instead, you eliminate all these problems.

Most modern broilers are now unfortunately equipped with thermostats, so they cycle on and off, never really getting hot enough. Start by heating your oven to its maximum temperature, typically 550 degrees; then turn on the broiler.

While the oven is preheating, leave a skillet or a grill pan (a ridged skillet) inside. The best pans for this are cast-iron, enameled cast-iron, or heavy-duty steel — not stainless steel, but what chefs call “black steel.” Almost needless to say, this pan must be all metal and not flimsy. Keep potholders handy.

In most cases, that skillet will stay as close to the heating element as possible, about two or three inches away. That’s roughly the distance you want if you have an old-fashioned under-oven broiler, even though it will allow you to put the food closer, almost in contact with the flames. Adjustments may also be needed with a really powerful broiler, of the kind more often found in restaurants, where two or three inches may be way too close. After a little experimenting, you’ll find the ideal distance for your broiler. (My broiler, on which all of my calculations are based, is 17,000 B.T.U., and is typical. Some broilers, including most electric ones, are closer to 10,000 B.T.U.)

Finally, do what it takes to keep the broiling element on. Most broiling happens so fast — often in less than 10 minutes — that if the element cycles off, it will throw off your timing. It’s not disastrous, but it’s a nuisance. I have taken to shoving the skillet as far back on the oven rack as I can, and leaving the oven door open a crack.

Now you’re ready. What can you cook? Almost anything, although some foods are more cooperative than others: meat of all kinds, especially steaks and chops; fish, from steaks like tuna or swordfish to fillets both thick and thin; shellfish; chicken (usually best without skin, which, as every experienced griller knows, readily catches fire); and even vegetables, especially tomatoes, peppers and chilies.

The technique varies little from one ingredient to the next. For one-inch steaks (rib-eye or sirloin are best), have the meat at room temperature and dry it well. Broil in a preheated skillet about eight minutes for medium rare; turning is unnecessary. You may want to serve it bottom-side up, especially if you use a grill pan.

For one-inch fish steaks or thick fillets, brush the fish lightly with olive oil first. Cooking time for medium to medium well will be less than 10 minutes.

Boneless, skinless chicken breasts will take five or six minutes, less if they’re thin. Thighs need about 10 minutes; you may have to move the oven rack down a notch if they brown too quickly.

Turn scallops or shrimp in extra virgin olive oil and salt before broiling for about three minutes. Simply toss clams or mussels into the preheated skillet. They’re done when they open, within 10 minutes. If shells start to crack, remove the open mollusks and return the pan to the oven.

Thin fish fillets, like flounder, are a little different. Preheat the pan for about five minutes, remove it, and pour in about three tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, then put the fillets in the oil. Time under the broiler will be 90 seconds to 2 minutes, rarely more.

There. If I’d told you I had an appliance that could brown like a grill, was as convenient as your oven, and cooked most food in less than 10 minutes, you’d buy it. But you don’t need to.

31mini600.1.jpg

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
A broiler would be a good thing if I had one :( My oven only does hot air. Literally.
I would put it to good use for tonights dish, bifteki. Bifteki are a greek dish, not unlike Midas' meatball recipe, but filled with feta cheese. I'll have to panfry them, but they are perfect for grills and broilers. Side dishes are still undecided.

OnkelC said:
A broiler would be a good thing if I had one :( My oven only does hot air. Literally.
They're pretty much standard here in the States, but as the article indicates - they're very underutilized.

I would put it to good use for tonights dish, bifteki. Bifteki are a greek dish, not unlike Midas' meatball recipe, but filled with feta cheese. I'll have to panfry them, but they are perfect for grills and broilers. Side dishes are still undecided.
That sounds great. We don't get a lot of Greek/Mediterranean food on this thread, so that'll be good to see.

OnkelC

Hail to the Chef
Thank you. Next oven will have a dedicated broiler!

So, let's cook.

The ingredients for Bifteki are:
smallCIMG4796.jpg

Ground Beef,
feta cheese (I used a variant that was cured with various herbs),
some breadcrumbs,
a hint of cream for moisture,
an onion,
one garlic clove,
thyme, oregano, salt and pepper (you can also add some rosemary if you like),

side dish of choice (I went for some mashed potatoes).

Preparation is a bit tricky because a balanced filling of the patties is hard to accomplish.

cube the onion and the garlic with a chopper to real small pieces, but not making a puree of them:
smallCIMG4797.jpg

smallCIMG4798.jpg

Mix them with the beef and other ingredients and divide the dough in roughly 1/4lb chunks. Press them, fill them with the feta cheese and close them:
smallCIMG4800.jpg

heat a pan, put a LOT of oil in it and fry the Bifteki at medium heat until they are dark brown and crisp on the outside. Turn them over three or four times while you are at it:
smallCIMG4801.jpg

smallCIMG4802.jpg

DONE!
Serve direct out of the pan:
smallCIMG4803.jpg

smallCIMG4806.jpg

Enjoy! and post your comments, please.

Midas

OnkelC said:
Same here. My guess would be Köfte of some sorts? What kind of sauce did you use there? Please give us some insight!

Sorry guys! I'll give you some details.

I think the Turkish name is köfte, however my Lebanese friends call it Kibbeh, and my Syrian friends call it something else. :)

The main ingredients are lamb and burgul. I took about 30 cl of burgul and poured some cold water over it and let it soak for about 30 minutes, finally I squeezed out any remaining water from the burgul. After that you add about 500 grams of lamb to the burgul and kneaded it until it was smooth, with the onion "pure" and some salt.

For the filling I used about 500 grams of lamb, some pine nuts which I roasted in olive oil and onion. The "sauce" I used to add some sweet flavor to the filling is actually pomegranate syrup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom