• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Oh, I forgot about this question:

What were the veggies in there?

100 grams of peas
100 grams of mushrooms
2 carrots
2 onions
1 zucchini

That goes over a puff pastry base along some olive oil, salt, pepper and oregano. I substituted quail eggs with hen ones since I forgot about those. I'd add some tomato sauce, but it could come too pizza-like.

le-seb

Thanks, I'll certainly try to make this apple cake.

Regarding your coca, I wonder whether some curry, or even simply cumin wouldn't have been able to give the boost you found missing.

zbarron

Hi, zbarron, any new updates on the vegetable garden? I am thinking about building one for myself. Very curious to see how yours is going.

I can post a picture in the morning but nothing interesting yet. So far it's just a box covered in tarp, a box of dirt and a box of dirt with about a hundred toothpicks in it showing where the square foot dividers are. I'll add support around the Peas once they sprout a bit. Yesterday I filled two of the beds with the soil mix. I need 3 more 40lb bags to fill the third. I planted seeds in the first one and will plant some seeds in the second bed on the next dry day. In the first box I planted the following not counting duplicates in the same hole to ensure one sprouts:
12 Pea Seeds
12 Spinach Seeds
18 Lettuce Seeds
8 Arugala Seeds
32 Carrot Seeds
9 Chives Seeds
9 Beet Seeds
16 Radish Seeds
I got the seeds from Ohio Heirloom Seeds. I can post the exact type if you are interested. I got mostly French Heirloom seeds.

I am using the Salad, Pizza and Kids plans from Verdura Culinary Gardens It may seem silly to pay to have someone tell you what to plant but after about 10 hours researching companion planting and trying to make a plan where all of my plants were in the right spot I felt it better to leave it up to a professional.

I actually threw out my shoulder lifting 960lbs of dirt and opening the bag, dumping them on a tarp, mixing and shoveling into the boxes. If you do this I recommend not doing it yourself and bringing a knife of some kind to open the bags.

IMG_2513_zps6t897sog.jpg

Braised herbed lamb shanks last night. Cooked for a few hours in wine, stock, lemons, garlic, and figs, then glazed with fig jam towards the end. With an orange, mint, currant couscous salad and some thin strips of yellow squash and scallion.

tumblr_nmz29yJCac1qc86bio1_400.gif

This looks and sounds amazing. Next grocery out I'm getting figs and meat.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Wasn't going off a recipe, but I can try to write some details up after work. The general gist of things: rubbed the shanks in herbs and browned them off. Added wine and stock, lemons, garlic, and dried figs and into a 300 oven for a few hours. Brushed the meat with fig jam towards the end and broiled it.

zbarron

Garden Update:

Here is the garden I described last post. I see two seedlings popping out today though I'm not sure if they are weeds or vegetables. I'll let them get a bit bigger until I can tell.

Overall Garden (Click to Enlarge)

Seedling 1:
17042135029_2d7658f9db_h.jpg

You can find this on the bottom row, third from the left. It's in the upper right corner of the square close to the toothpick border.

Seedling 2:
16605873054_14ba0d79b0_h.jpg

This is also on the bottom row second from the left. It's bottom center.

I believe both of these are pea areas so give seedling 2 a higher chance of actually being a pea. We will see if I am right. This is my first time gardening. Note that a lot of the green shit you see in the garden was dropped in from the top. We've had 40mph winds.

luoapp

zbarron

That's a very organized veggie bed, good job. I heard it's better to germinate the seeds before planting, saving you some suspense.

Thank you. From what I read it depends on the vegetable. Some definitely should be sown indoors like peppers and tomatoes and some can have transplant shock if you don't direct sow them in the garden.

For tonight's dinner I had Arbys since it was a busy day. They forgot the sauces so I had to make a BBQ sauce and I picked some fresh chives, washed and minced them before adding them to sour cream for the potato cakes. The whole point of ordering Arbys was so I wouldn't have to cook. So much for that.

I prepped what should hopefully be tomorrow nights dinner. My wife wants tacos and I want to use the grill. I got inspiration from Kofta Kebabs. I mixed the ground beef with lime juice, taco seasoning mix, garlic and a few other spices. I will form it on skewers and grill them, then they will go in the tortilla just like normal. I'll post pictures.

Oh man, oh man. I make kimchi too, but in a German-style sauerkraut fermenting pot, doesn't have the same panache. That looks awesome, nice work. Send us wonderful pictures of Korean food!

Yes Boss!

Oh man, oh man. I make kimchi too, but in a German-style sauerkraut fermenting pot, doesn't have the same panache. That looks awesome, nice work. Send us wonderful pictures of Korean food!

Sure, will do. Though, I don't have a kitchen here so I chose fermenting and pickling as something to do for the next two years.

I've been pulling a large pint each day and popping them in the fridge to arrest the fermentation. At least till day seven. Just wanna be able to compare each day to see how they differ:

0FD0C848-C41C-4C01-92AD-E7A2FB9654B7_zpsw1clvzov.jpg

Next I think I'm gonna do some baby daikons with stalks attached or the korean style daikon.

01CE5106-DA0C-4B78-A09B-6298F4E93B7D_zpsexkbjxjk.jpg

Bought a plant of Thai basil. Sunday (next day off) I'm gonna get it a nice little pot to live in, instead of the plastic it came from the store in. It's gonna be my indoor plant and stay on my east-facing window, whereas my baby yuzu will remain outside. Slow-growing thing, that yuzu. :p

HiResDes

Made a harvest salad with Applewood smoked bacon bits, dried cherries, goat cheese, arugula, balsamic vinaigrette, and a touch of cinnamon.

Then I warmed up some challah and just brushed a little bacon fat on top before sticking it in the oven.

le-seb

CIMG1126_v1.JPG

Beef patty enhanced with chorizo and Espelette pepper.
Pyrénées Brebis (sheep's milk) cheese.
Marinated roasted bell pepper.
Olive oil sautéed spring onion.

'nough said.
I think? It was super tasty. Simply delicious.

HiResDes

I made Shahi Korma and it turned out okay, but both too sweet and spicy and no matter how much salt I added it didn't taste salty enough. Also the rice came out slightly too soft. Are there any pressure cookers that can get me 80 percent of the way to a zojirushi? I don't want to buy both.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Has been a busy week at work so my fridge is pretty bare. However, scraped together enough bits for a makeshift pepperoni and kale pizza on a lowcarb wrap base. Mozzarella and blue brie on top with some chilli sauce and chilli flakes for extra kick. Managed to salvage some of a drying out half onion too.

Fakeedit: dammit I had some mushrooms I forgot about too.

Sweet summertime. I've been getting back into cooking at home and cutting the fast food. Made some lovely amazu, I've been eating zaru soba on the warm days, trying out pork belly variations (one worked, one didn't haha), and gonna make some sunomonos soon.

zbarron

I haven't made much worth posting lately but in honor of National Pretzel Day I will be making pretzels some time today. Anyone want to join me?

Ventara

IronGaf, please, I need your help! There is this dish at an american-chinese restaurant that I go to that I absolutely love, and I really want to know how to cook it. Here are some pictures.

From what I can tell, it's some stir fry noodles that's been topped with baby bok choy, mushrooms, carrots, shallots(?), green peas and some other vegetable. I don't know about the sauce, but if I had to guess, some kind of oyster sauce? Hard to describe, but not sweet or spicy. The pieces of fish that it comes with is breaded heavily and soft.

Picture of the unknown vegetable.

Picture of the noodles. They're crunchy, but the hot sauce kind of cooks them and makes them soft, which tastes wonderful. I could see parts of the noodles were burned, which is why I think it's fried.

Please help me, guys! I know all I'm giving you is some pictures and a crappy description, but if you can help me find a recipe to replicate this, I would be extremely grateful.

IronGaf, please, I need your help! There is this dish at an american-chinese restaurant that I go to that I absolutely love, and I really want to know how to cook it. Here are some pictures.

From what I can tell, it's some stir fry noodles that's been topped with baby bok choy, mushrooms, carrots, shallots(?), green peas and some other vegetable. I don't know about the sauce, but if I had to guess, some kind of oyster sauce? Hard to describe, but not sweet or spicy. The pieces of fish that it comes with is breaded heavily and soft.

Picture of the noodles. They're crunchy, but the hot sauce kind of cooks them and makes them soft, which tastes wonderful. I could see parts of the noodles were burned, which is why I think it's fried.

Please help me, guys! I know all I'm giving you is some pictures and a crappy description, but if you can help me find a recipe to replicate this, I would be extremely grateful.

Not sure about everything else, but that vegetable is a bamboo shoot

zbarron

Happy National Pretzel Day!

17279887972_62c5e7ae72_h.jpg

The pick of the litter.

16661464073_f862ecf82a_h.jpg

The whole bunch. The one on the bottom right was the last one I did and I poured a warm baking soda mix over them because I don't have a good dipping setup. The last one had way too much baking soda in it. I'm afraid to eat it. The upper right one tore but I still cooked it anyway because it should still be tasty.

Alright IronGAF, I just perused this thread and am floored by the incredible food you guys are putting together.

I'm a single guy who has never really learned to cook, though I've sort of tried on and off. I don't eat particularly healthy (and about the best I can do in regards to making healthy foods are salads... and I can only tolerate that for a week or so..) but don't have to worry about my weight either.

Do you guys have any suggestions on where to start? I'd love to someday get to the level where I can look at the ingredients and throw something together much like all of you, but even just the thought of that makes my head hurt.

le-seb

Do you guys have any suggestions on where to start? I'd love to someday get to the level where I can look at the ingredients and throw something together much like all of you, but even just the thought of that makes my head hurt.
Stews are generally easy to make, as they are almost throw it all recipes, and are something you'll be proud having cooked.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I have two bottles of cachaça and I don't drink often, so I looked for ways to cook with it.

I marinated some beef for two days in cachaça, honey, garlic, soy sauce, ketchup, salt, and coriander. Cooked it in the pan quickly on high heat and let it rest. It was cooked just right, red inside and crispy outside. You could really taste the cachaça.

Recipe here: http://www.popsugar.com/food/Brazilian-Recipe-Grilled-Cachaç-Marinated-Hanger-Steak-9055563

Ate it with some mashed avocado and potatoes. I'll do this again for sure.

zbarron

I agree with the question of what do you like to eat. If you cook what you like you will be more motivated to do so. Where would you put your current skill level. Can you make eggs? Boxed brownies? Hamburger Helper? pan seared chicken?

Tonight's dinner was turkey burgers with baby spinach, avocado, banana peppers and sriracha aioli.
17280552562_b4432a846f_h.jpg

It was surprisingly tasty for prepackaged butterball patties and giant eagle buns.

I really love my little grill. I can make easy dinners on it without heating up the kitchen and cleanup is next to nothing (unlike with the pretzels.)

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok

I'd recommend starting with a couple of thing that are fairly versatile, and that you can experiment with in terms of different ingredients and combinations pretty safely as anything you take away or newly add is difficult to spoil the dish. They are a good foundation to learn about different ingredients, herbs, spices, and sauces, and how they influence the taste of a dish.

See below.

Beef mince/chilli

Put some mince into a medium heat non stick frypan, breaking up with a spatula until you have smallish bitesize chunks and smaller. Season with pepper and salt, and optionally sprinkle on some curry or chilli powder or other spices. Push around the pan until brown (should only take a few minutes).

Optionally add any combination of the following chopped onion, garlic, spring onion, chilli beans, mushrooms, carrots, bell pepper, jalapeno pepper, corn, peas, or broccolli, and stir through. Allow to soften a little before adding a tomato based pasta sauce and stir through (you can optionally add sweet chilli sauce or tomato paste on top of the pasta sauce).

Turn down to low and simmer for 15-20 mins, stirring every couple of minutes.

At this point you could serve in a bowl with a little sour cream, serve with mozzarella sour cream and corn chips for nachos, serve on top of or mixed through spaghetti or other pasta*, or even just on toast.

* cook pasta by adding it to salted boling water. Boil for 12 minutes, no more, no less. Drain, and serve.

Stir fry rice

Put some chopped/stirfry chicken, beef, pork, or shrimp into a high heat non stick frypan. Season with pepper and salt. Push around the pan until the outside is cooked and starting to get some crispy, caramalised edges (should only take a few minutes). Optionally marinade your meat ahead of time for a couple of hours in a little olive oil, and sweet chilli or peanut sauce.

Add the (cooked) rice of your choice and stir through. A plain white precooked rice which you cook for 2 minutes in the microwave is an easy option (prepare as per instructions then add).

Add some mixed vegetables from frozen straight into the mix and stir through (usually a mix of peas, carrots, corn, and green beans or similar, whatever you can find in the supermarket). You can alternatively add your own fresh chopped vegetables but these are likely to be larger and more raw than the frozen stuff, so add before the rice to cook and soften a little more.

Optionally add a couple of squirts of soy sauce or sweet chilli sauce, chopped jalapeno, and/or chopped cilantro.

Keep stirring for a few more minutes before cutting the heat. At this point you can optionally add and stir through a beaten egg which adds a richness (the residual heat will cook it). Ready to serve, straight onto a plate.

To change this up to a noodle dish, swap in soft udon noodles for the rice, but add them and cook first for a few minutes before the meat.

Ventara

Not sure about everything else, but that vegetable is a bamboo shoot

Thanks!

From what I can tell, it's some stir fry noodles that's been topped with baby bok choy, mushrooms, carrots, shallots(?), green peas and bamboo shoot. I don't know about the sauce, but if I had to guess, some kind of oyster sauce? Hard to describe, but not sweet or spicy. The pieces of fish that it comes with is breaded heavily and soft.

Quoting myself for more exposure. I would love to have a recipe that can closely replicate this dish.

Even with dry pastas.
Most of the ones I use call for 7-8 minutes boiling, for example.

I'm not sure I've ever timed cooking pasta in my life--I just can tell from a stir and how it's moving whether it's into range, then I bite a piece to see how al dente it is. That's not the best advice for a newcomer I suppose, though.

As to getting started... pick up a foundational cookbook and start trying recipes. I'm a vegetarian so my advice isn't terribly universal. I started with Molly Katzen and the Moosewood cookbooks, Tassajara... then later Deborah Madison, Madhur Jaffrey, and of cousre now Ottolenghi is the new hotness. Watching programs is fun, too. River Cottage is probably my favorite, but even things like Cooking with Dog will show technique.

But mostly, just start cooking things. A bunch of it will be a mess, just keep practicing.

Thanks for the replies and suggestions everyone! I'll try to answer the questions:

What do you like to eat?
The first question and already it's a struggle, haha. Unfortunately the things I really enjoy eating are things that aren't great for you. The foods I can never tire of are the trifecta of gut destoryers: Pizza, Subs and Chicken Wings.
I'm also a huge fan of Sushi.

Those are probably the only foods I ever really crave, but I like all kinds, pastas, steaks, even salads, tacos, and so on.

I'm not super picky. The only food I really can't stand are onions.

Stews are generally easy to make, as they are almost throw it all recipes, and are something you'll be proud having cooked.
You know, the idea of a stew really doesn't sound appetizing to me, but it might be that I haven't really had a great one. Growing up, stews were usually made from left-overs or when my parents didn't feel like cooking, so maybe that's where my distaste for them comes from. I totally should/would give them a fair shake.

I agree with the question of what do you like to eat. If you cook what you like you will be more motivated to do so. Where would you put your current skill level. Can you make eggs? Boxed brownies? Hamburger Helper? pan seared chicken?

That's most probably true. I can use raw will-power to eat salads exclusively for a little while, but eventually I break and binge on the deep-fried fatty junk.

I'm really quite unskilled when it comes to the kitchen, I will not lie. I can make eggs and Hamburger Helper. I've made my own pizza, sloppy joes, tacos, and apple pie. I'm pretty ok at following a recipe, so long as I have the tools, though I would not say that what I make is really anything special in the taste department. It's usually "OK".

Those burgers look amazing by the way.

I'd recommend starting with a couple of thing that are fairly versatile, and that you can experiment with in terms of different ingredients and combinations pretty safely as anything you take away or newly add is difficult to spoil the dish. They are a good foundation to learn about different ingredients, herbs, spices, and sauces, and how they influence the taste of a dish.

See below.

{truncated awesome suggestions}.

Thanks! Both of those sound really great, I will definitely give them a try! I've got a lot of the ingredients already, actually, from some previous attempts, haha.

luoapp

Thanks!

Quoting myself for more exposure. I would love to have a recipe that can closely replicate this dish.

Well, if you're looking for the exact recipe, you maybe out of luck. The vege looks like a piece of bamboo shoot, but that's not the point. The dish is a kind of street food and the chef can use whatever he has to prepare it. The noodle is "Yi" noodle. You can find it in Chinese supermarket. Generally the dish goes like this: Deep fry the fish first, and cook the noodle in boiling water to soft, drain the noodle, stir fry it very quickly. Put noodle aside, and stir fry the vegetables for about 2 min. Add in the sauce, ( oyster sauce, soy sauce, a pinch of sugar), mix in the noodle and fish.

Argyle

Wow, almost time for a new thread here...

Have not tried it myself but I'd try combining a few things I found:

For the fish, I'd try this:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/04/velveting-meat-asian-cooking-technique-cornstarch.html

(Basically, prepare the fish the way the chicken is prepared here: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/04/sichuan-chicken-with-peppercorns-and-chile-recipe.html, just the first two steps. Use bigger pieces of fish as appropriate, of course)

For the noodles and sauce, I'd look at this:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/05/chinese-noodle-101-noodle-cake-seafood-sauce.html

So to summarize, I'd velvet the fish as above, mix up the sauce from the second recipe and fry up the noodle cake, then stir fry your veggies, add the sauce and allow it to thicken, and then pour the veggies and sauce over the noodles and fish filets. (I suppose you could also quickly add the filets to the sauce and veggie mixture for a bit right before you pour everything over the noodles.)

Let us know how it goes for you, and maybe someone with more experience making this dish than myself will chime in :)

I don't have a recipe to help you. Let me just say that many folks underestimate the prep, time, and technique required to replicate a good Chinese takeout. Sometimes it is just better to order takeout. I say that as someone who enjoys a good takeout and has tried to recreate them.

That said i can help give you some direction.

The Fish looks to be deep fried. Look up a Sweet and Sour Pork/Chicken recipe for the batter ingredients for the fish. It'll probably be flour and corn starch base. You'll need to cut and batter the fish then fry them and set them aside. I've always found this to be a time consuming step for what seems to be a simple dish.
The veggies look to be bok choy, bamboo shoots, mushroom (either button or shiitake), carrots, snow peas, and some sliced water chestnuts. The noodles looks to be a pan fried variety. I don't know what it's base is unfortunately... wheat or egg. I have seen them in Asian grocery stores so they should be readily available if you have such a place around you. What ties them all together is probably the sauce. If you were to look up Chinese takeout brown sauce recipes you'll get lots of hits. I think most places make their own large batch. Probably soy sauce, chicken/vegetable broth, vinegar, sugar, then thickened with corn starch. For the home cook, you may be able to replicate it by just adding oyster sauce to your stir fry. It may taste similar enough that you won't mind having to get together 5-10 ingredients just for the sauce.

The trick to good Chinese take-out is always to stir fry at a high heat. This is where home cooks get into trouble. Most home kitchens simply don't have the heat output or proper pans to cook a batch of stir fry properly.

le-seb

^ Meh, you can often replace them with shallots. ;)

You know, the idea of a stew really doesn't sound appetizing to me, but it might be that I haven't really had a great one. Growing up, stews were usually made from left-overs or when my parents didn't feel like cooking, so maybe that's where my distaste for them comes from. I totally should/would give them a fair shake.
Sorry, I was more thinking of meats that you left simmering: sauté of veal, beef bourguignon, goulash, etc.
All these recipes are really easy to make, require nothing more than a cooking pot, some knives and quite some time to cook.

The first question and already it's a struggle, haha. Unfortunately the things I really enjoy eating are things that aren't great for you. The foods I can never tire of are the trifecta of gut destoryers: Pizza, Subs and Chicken Wings.

That's fine. Start with those.

Chicken wings are the simplest out of the three. It'll teach you how to prepare a spicy sauce and a little bit about how to roast white meat. You know what a good chicken wing tastes like, so you'll know when you get it right.

Following that, you can move to pizza, where you'll learn how to assemble a simple, quick dough, and also how to prepare a good tomato sauce (at which point you'll probably go "bah humbug" every time you eat canned tomato sauce again, but thems the breaks). After that, toppings are easy and baking a pizza ain't no great mystery.

Subs, while simple to assemble, require you to prepare bread, aaaand that's a bit of a greater step. Being able to craft your custom bread with, say, encrusted bits of bacon, is a nice skill to have, plus fresh bread tastes like nothing else. Aside from that, they're pretty chill to assemble, but will teach you how to handle vegetables.

You couldve done a lot worse, tbh. All of these are more than fine to start learning.

Also echoing what inebriated said, you probably don't like a specific configuration of onions. I was the same for much of my life. They're such a versatile element, however, that you'll most likely end up finding a way that you'll like them. In my case, onions with meat in a pressure cooker, or quickly fried with chopped garlic on bacon fat goes great with a lotta meats.

Or just replace with shallots, as le-seb sed.

Now, if you don't like garlic or butter, then you're truly SoL.

HiResDes

I want to make a sort of Mexican chii that will taste good in tacos, any idea how to modify a basic chili to make it more appropriate for tacos. Gonna be making the chili in a slow cooker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom