• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IronGAF Cookoff (hosted by OnkelC)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GiJoccin

made some steak using my sous vide for the first time! finished it in a smoking hot pan, came out great

then some rainbow cookies for dessert! (made these for easter)

le-seb

Finally found a stunning recipe to use my cabbage: make a savoury veggies mille-feuille with it!

So, you're basically using the cabbage leaves as a replacement for the pastry normally found in a mille-feuille, and use all kind of stuff between the cabbage layers to replace the custard.
Here, I've used sliced potatoes, onions, diced bacon and some roquefort cheese to add some boost.

Half way in the making:
DSC_0023.JPG

Ready to cook:
DSC_0025.JPG

Sorry for the even blurrier than usual photos, had to use my phone for these ones.

And here's the final result:
CIMG1075_v1.JPG

There was quite a bit of work (you need to blanch the cabbage leaves and dry them before use), but well worth the time spent (and no bad smell).

GiJoccin

Whoa what cut of beef is that? The marbling is really nice.

honestly i'm not sure

i got it at Florence Meat Market in NYC, i went there for a prime ribeye, but then they had this cut at 1/3 the price. apparently it's their own cut they claim to have invented. It was this big triangular chunk of meat that they trimmed quite a bit of meat off of, then rolled up into a C shape as seen in the pic, and cut off as big of a steak as you want. It was 1/3 the price of the ribeye, and looked like such a well marbled piece, plus everyone on yelp was raving about it, so i nabbed it. came out great! cooked it to 130 in the water bath so that the fat rendered a bit.

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2013/10/florence-prime-meats-west-village-butcher-newport-steak.html

Zyzyxxz

honestly i'm not sure

i got it at Florence Meat Market in NYC, i went there for a prime ribeye, but then they had this cut at 1/3 the price. apparently it's their own cut they claim to have invented. It was this big triangular chunk of meat that they trimmed quite a bit of meat off of, then rolled up into a C shape as seen in the pic, and cut off as big of a steak as you want. It was 1/3 the price of the ribeye, and looked like such a well marbled piece, plus everyone on yelp was raving about it, so i nabbed it. came out great! cooked it to 130 in the water bath so that the fat rendered a bit.

http://newyork.seriouseats.com/2013/10/florence-prime-meats-west-village-butcher-newport-steak.html

Hmm it looks to be possibly picanha a Brazilian cut of the loin or rump with the fat cap on it. Looks amazing. I'm all about lesser known cuts of beef, ribeye is amazing but for the price of dry age ribeye you can get American wagyu chuck eye for half the price which taste just as good if not better and its moreso tender as well.

zbarron

For dinner tonight I tried a quick pizza recipe. From stepping into the kitchen to pizza on the plate was less than half an hour. I usually let the dough rise for 5 hours and this only called for 15 minutes. I preheated the broiler with my cast iron griddle inside during that and then placed the dough in and topped it. A peel would make make this a lot easier.
16503985924_f80981ca2a_h.jpg

Here's a picture of one of my cats eating corn.
17124831272_b1e1f5a7b1_h.jpg

GiJoccin

Hmm it looks to be possibly picanha a Brazilian cut of the loin or rump with the fat cap on it. Looks amazing. I'm all about lesser known cuts of beef, ribeye is amazing but for the price of dry age ribeye you can get American wagyu chuck eye for half the price which taste just as good if not better and its moreso tender as well.

looking at pics of that cut, looks the same, especially when i found pictures of the chunk of meat it's cut from, just with sweet marbling

i'll have to look into this american wagyu

Zyzyxxz

looking at pics of that cut, looks the same, especially when i found pictures of the chunk of meat it's cut from, just with sweet marbling

i'll have to look into this american wagyu

It's a cross breed of American black angus and one of the Japanese breeds of wagyu.

I think for steak applications there are times when I prefer American wagyu to full on Japanese but for thin slice applications such as yakiniku and shabu shabu its hard to beat A5.

entremet

I made the beef burgundy dish from Heavy Liquids recipe:

... Was the fucking bomb, albeit a bit too sweet, might have used too much tapioca mix.

The wine adds sweetness as the alcohol cooks off.

I don't mess with tapioca or other quick starches with Beef Bourguignon. I use a traditional roux for the thickener.

zbarron

Update on the vegetable garden:

17147265105_941d7eaf68_h.jpg

I assembled the 3 raised beds we are using and bought the soil, compost and peat humus we are using to fill it with. This isn't a traditional mix but it was cheap and made sense to us. We will be growing Arugala, Beets, Carrots, Chives, Cucumber, Lettuce, Parsley, Peas, Radishes, Scallions, Spinach, Beans, Tomatoes, Garlic, Onion, Peppers, Basil, Rosemary, and Oregano.
16524826494_2d22687817_h.jpg

I also noticed along the side of the house what could be a garden from the last people who lived here. I definitely see chives and I'm sure there are weeds considering no one tends to this but I'm curious if there are any other edible herbs in here others can detect. I don't work much with fresh herbs yet.

(Click for full size.)

What's a good cutting board to buy? Wood, bamboo, glass, plastic? Stiff or flexible? Handle or no handle?

These are my questions.

Wood is more gentle on your knives, particularly edge grain boards. Glass is the worst on knives. If you're going plastic, I prefer stiff because it's more stable.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What's a good cutting board to buy? Wood, bamboo, glass, plastic? Stiff or flexible? Handle or no handle?

These are my questions.

I use wood and plastic. I had no idea there were glass cutting boards, but that sounds ridiculous. I wouldn't recommend flexible. Instead of that, find something that sticks to your countertop, either due to its weight or texture.

Keep in mind that washing and drying (bigger) wooden boards can be a bit of an ordeal and it's recommended to stain them with mineral oil from time to time to prevent molding.

All my current boards are from Ikea.

The plastic ones are kinda eh, but they are cheap, washer safe and get the job done. The wood one is better, but also BULKY, so I only use it for big dishes.

Zyzyxxz

Buy wood but if you do get plastic I recommend getting sani-tuff boards.

Regular boards will get knive etches over time and black mold can grow inside and its super hard to remove unless you sand out the surface of the cutting board.

Wood naturally kills bacteria.

Sani-tuff boards are some sort of self healing amazing rubber and are easier on your knives than plastic.

entremet

I use wood and plastic. I had no idea there were glass cutting boards, but that sounds ridiculous. I wouldn't recommend flexible. Instead of that, find something that sticks to your countertop, either due to its weight or texture.

Keep in mind that washing and drying (bigger) wooden boards can be a bit of an ordeal and it's recommended to stain them with mineral oil from time to time to prevent molding.

The plastic ones are kinda eh, but they are cheap, washer safe and get the job done. The wood one is better, but also BULKY, so I only use it for big dishes.

Those plastic ones are tiny!

I got used to huge boards when I cooked professionally. Never looked backed. Sometimes I put my big plastic board on my stove due to space needs when preparing my mise en place.

Wood is nice for aesthetic purposes and you can use it for serving cheese in a pinch, but I stick with plastic due to its easy maintenance.

honestly i'm not sure

It's picanha. Favorite brazilian cut.

Only about 4-6 pounds worth of picanha per animal. Generally you`ll get, at max, 3 pounds per flank. Down here it is as expensive as fillet mignon. If someone sells you too big a piece, however, it`ll have flat on it, which is Not Good, hence why you should pay attention to weight.

Won't find that kinda marbling down here, tho. That's down to nearly 100% grass fed animals and general "the leaner the better" mentality, however.

Was cheap as dirt when i visited the US, but yeah, you`d have to tell the butcher precisely what you want.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
We've been using two plain maple Boos for five years or so. One marked for aliums--garlic, onion, etc., the other for fruits and things.

Wood is more gentle on your knives, particularly edge grain boards. Glass is the worst on knives. If you're going plastic, I prefer stiff because it's more stable.

Buy wood but if you do get plastic I recommend getting sani-tuff boards.

Regular boards will get knive etches over time and black mold can grow inside and its super hard to remove unless you sand out the surface of the cutting board.

Wood naturally kills bacteria.

Sani-tuff boards are some sort of self healing amazing rubber and are easier on your knives than plastic.

Thanks for the responses. About how long would a wood board last me? I'm assuming plastic boards would have to be replaced after a few weeks/months?

le-seb

Well, both can last you really long.
I've got my plastic boards for years now, and they're still in good condition.
I had to replace my wood board lately, but only because my mother had put it in the dish washer (it broke because of the heating).

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
It's basically heirloom stuff unless you let it rot. Just make sure to give it a wash after each use.

Well, both can last you really long.
I've got my plastic boards for years now, and they're still in good condition.
I had to replace my wood board lately, but only because my mother had put it in the dish washer (it broke because of the heating).

Wood'll last you a lifetime? :O

That seems to be the way to go then. Are there any videos showing how to properly clean and take care of them?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Wood'll last you a lifetime? :O

That seems to be the way to go then. Are there any videos showing how to properly clean and take care of them?

My grandmother owns a couple of boards that prolly are about as old as myself. They get dented and cut and colour turns uneven, but they are cutting boards. Nobody cares unless you are a food blogger looking to take the prettiest pictures.

You can clean them by spraying some vinegar and rubbing it down with a paper towel, but I basically give it a good rub with a sponge and let it dry really well. Just make sure to oild them from time to time with some mineral oil (MINERAL; you don't want some rancid stench from olive or seed oil rotting away along your board) so it doesn't dry and crack. Small boards like cheese and sausage ones don't even need staining in my experience. Some people claim that water is not good for wooden boards, but I've never encountered a problem. Just make sure you dry it well if you are going to clean it in the sink.

le-seb

Call me crazy, but I've never even taken special care with my wood boards.
I wash them with an abrasive sponge and standard washing-up liquid.
I feel okay with spending 30 € for a new board every ten years or so.

I love my Boos Board that my Mom got me for Christmas. The thing weighs a ton, gets a ton of use and hasn't even shown any real wear. I rub it down with mineral oil every so often, and it still looks brand new after nearly 5 months use.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Call me crazy, but I've never even taken special care with my wood boards.
I wash them with an abrasive sponge and standard washing-up liquid.
I feel okay with spending 30 € for a new board every ten years or so.

I wash mine with the same normal ass sponge and soap I use for the dishes. I just make sure to let it dry well before putting it back into storage since I only use that particular board for bigger dishes such as pizza and large pieces of meat.

I'd like to mention that cutting meat on a non-stained wooden board can be a BAD idea, as the fat permeates the wood and turns rancid inside. I cut some gorgeous beef Wellington on my then brand new board and it took me ages to get the smell of putrid meat juices and Dijon mustard out of it. Better give it some layer of mineral oil before using it.

Gordon Ramsay AMA

"Hello Gordon, I've wanted to know what is your opinion on Michelin rating system?"

That's a very good question.
One thing we need to REALLY understand about Michelin is the stars are awarded to the restaurant.
So, you know, if there's one thing I've come to admire with the Michelin is that it's consistent. It's a guy who is judging you incognito. We have a lot of guys in this country, and Europe, who are a bit too familiar, too chummy with chefs, and they overindulge - food editors, they'll know, and tip off the chef. With a Michelin guide, you have no idea when they'll be in, or when they'll review you. And that's why they're the most feared and respected by chefs.
Now I'm always asked - you're a hands-on chef, you're on TV, how come you're still with these stars? Who does the cooking when you're not there?
When I'm not there, I have trusted proper chefs - like Claire Smith, the chef du cuisine in Chelsea - even when I'm there, she's still running the ship. She's been running it there for 10 years.
So the stars are awarded to the restaurant. And sometimes the chefs think the stars belong to the chefs, but they belong to the restaurant. The service is just as important. Michelin's had a hard time in America, because it was late coming to the table. But if there's one thing I respect, it's consistency. They manage to identify consistently, and it's all there for the customer.
So when people ask me "What do you think of Michelin?" I don't cook for the guide, I cook for customers.

What's the biggest piece of advice you can give a young, aspiring chef?

1.) Ehm, good question. The biggest piece of advice - you know, cooking is about character. It's about different cuisines. And I think sometimes we go into it a little bit blinkered-vision. Learn a second vision - I thought I really knew how to cook when I worked for Marco and then when I went to France, it really opened my eyes. So learn a second language, and travel. It's really important to travel. That is fundamental. because you pick up so many different techniques, and learning a second language gives you so much more confidence in the kitchen

There's a long ass story with a question for Gordon on how he does he handle the pressure as a chef. I'm just going to link it because its extremely long

And Gordon's response:

First of all, I've been in your shoes, and what you need to do is take a break.
So I came out of my training in Paris, after getting my ass kicked in some of the best restaurants in the world. I took some time off, and got aboard a boat, and was a private chef on a yacht. And those 6-9 months off allowed me to regenerate.
I'd run myself into the ground, as you described.
Cooking at this level is so intense. So don't give up. Be honest with yourself, and take a month out.
Now if that month out - just stepping back - if there's one thing I've taught my young chefs today it's to work hard, and not get disillusioned with the bigger picture.
That's the most important thing about cooking - you may be working down the road for me here in Atlantic City, but you could travel the world and still get a job in the kitchen, and still get time off in the same time. So that's what i would suggest, stepping back for a month, shutting everything down, and then starting up again in 4 or 5 week's time.

Listen - if you send me your resume, I could look at putting you into one of the restaurants as a work experience, if you want to see something different, in order to make sure you don't come off the rails, to see something different, to create that level of interest.
Never give up. But don't be scared to take a break. I did it myself, traveled the world, through Sardinia, Sicily, and had the most amazing time, and what i learned after that experience was that I could do in 1 hour on a boat what i was doing in 14-15 hours in the professional kitchen. It confirms what you've learned, when you walk into a new establishment. It shows how strong you are.

Amazing. Gordon wanted this guy's resume on the spot

Ramsay is actually a pretty damned good human being. He just has professional standards which must not be compromised, and he has to ham it up for TV. But the guy has a wonderful heart.

VanWinkle

Haven't made pizza in quite awhile. I decided to try making some bar style (thin crust, oiled bottom, cheese to the edges and crisped). It was really incredible and it was just an off-the-cuff improvised thing. Now, keep in mind, it wasn't crackery. It was still a little pliable.

Here are two pictures:

iRrmNzZkrtUYR.jpg

iLFLVrlYwU8Qq.jpg

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
So the store had Side Pork belly on clearance, any ideas what to so with this?

Is side pork belly just like normal pork belly? I just Googled this and am confused as there is conflicting information out there.

If it is just regular pork belly, then roasting it is nice. The base recipe I work from for roasting pork belly is this one which has given me good results http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/pork-recipes/pork-belly-roast/ though I actually crisp up the skin at the end not at the start

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I had dinner with friends this past weekend. It was basically an excuse to meet over and play Munchkin and Bohnanza intil late at night, so I made something simple (well, it was mostly my girlfriend's work, tbh, but the kitchen is mine I helped!)

Morcilla (blood sausage) and pear quiche.

Veggie and egg coca.

Apple cake.

I know some people are not very fond of blood sausage, but that quiche was absolutely wonderful. I used a mild morcilla, which complemented the pear really nicely. It was a rotund succcess. The vegetable coca also came very nicely, although can't help but think it lacked something. I think that bacon or ham could have given it that extra kick, but pork tends to be way too overpowering. The apple cake also came terrific. It was a big one, too. The base uses a mix of crumbled marie biscuits, butter and muscat wine, so it had a ton of flavour by itself.

I don't think we spent over hour and half to make all that food, and all I did besides the dishes was to prepare the apples and crumble down the biscuits.

le-seb

The vegetable coca also came very nicely, although can't help but think it lacked something. I think that bacon or ham could have given it that extra kick, but pork tends to be way too overpowering.
What were the veggies in there?

The apple cake also came terrific. It was a big one, too. The base uses a mix of crumbled marie biscuits, butter and muscat wine, so it had a ton of flavour by itself.
It does sound and look terrific, indeed.
Care to share the recipe?

fixuis

Haven't made pizza in quite awhile. I decided to try making some bar style (thin crust, oiled bottom, cheese to the edges and crisped). It was really incredible and it was just an off-the-cuff improvised thing. Now, keep in mind, it wasn't crackery. It was still a little pliable.

Here are two pictures:

iRrmNzZkrtUYR.jpg

iLFLVrlYwU8Qq.jpg

Amazing! Recipe please! How many kinds of cheese in it?

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
So here's the apple cake recipe

Ingredients

• Marie biscuits
  • Muscat wine
  • Butter
  • 8 apples or soft
  • A small tin of condensed milk
  • Peach marmalade

Steps:

For the base:

1. Crumb down the marie biscuits until they have a coarse sawdust like texture. I just put them inside a freezer bag and beat them with a rolling pin. I used about a individual container and half of biscuits (see picture)
  2. Melt some butter and mix it with the crumbles until it becomes a dry-ish paste you can spread on a pan. Don't go nuts with it. Add a generous dash of muscat to keep it moist and make it easier to spread.
  3. Lightly grease a tall baking pan. I use this cheapo one from Ikea.
  4. Spread the paste, covering the bottom of the pan with it to make the base.

For the filling/top:

1. Peel and cut six apples into small pieces.
  2. Put the apples in a bowl, combine with four eggs and add seven dollops of condensed milk (as far as amounts go, I used a small dessert spoon for this step).
  3. Combine the chopped apples, eggs and condensed milk using a mixer until forming a soft puree.
  4. Pour the mix on top of the biscuit base.
  5. Cut some apples into thick slices. Cover the cake forming a top layer. It will decorate the cake while preventing the top from burning.

Baking:

1. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes at 180ºC/350ºF or until done. I used a skewer to make sure that the bottom part of the cake was fully done before I took it out.
  2. Spread a thin layer of peach marmalade on top of it to keep it moist and shiny. Just a bit, you don't want to overpower the apples.
  3. Let it cool down before eating. Even better: let it sit at room temperature through the night so the flavours set it. Eat at room temperature or just slightly cold.

Let me know about your results. I found it tremendously easy to make, yet very tasty and filling.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom