• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is HDR on PC as simple and good as console these days?

cormack12

Gold Member
Thinking of getting an sff gaming PC and just wondering how HDR is on PC games these days. Will be pairing with an ultragear LG27

I remember a few years back HDR was still a bit hit and miss, any inputs?

nemiroff

Gold Member
I can't speak for every combination of hardware, but in my experience, it's a completely seamless experience.

I understand what you're saying; with my old HDR monitor on Windows 10, it was a disaster, utterly unreliable with constant staccato issues.

However, with Windows 11 and my new Asus QD-OLED monitor, mostly everything is smooth*, no worries.

* Some games are not fully up to date and might have minor quirks. F.ex. Elden Ring has to be in exclusive fullscreen to be HDR activated for some reason.

Last edited:
I would just recommend controlling everything via the Windows HDR app (works 1:1 like on the consoles).

In my opinion, it is not advisable to use the HDR settings in the Nvidia or AMD driver menu as this can lead to problems / performance loss. That is at least what I read some weeks ago.

But maybe this has changed since then. Zathalus seems to know more about that topic.

I, for one, prefer to play it safe.

Last edited:

Bojji

Most games that support HDR on consoles support it on PC as well, you just have to switch between HDR on/off most of the time on desktop (there is HDR tray program that speeds things up).

Other than that you have auto HDR that works for majority of games that don't have HDR and does a good job (Xbox is restricted to just last gen games for comparison).

RTX HDR is another option, end result is very good but it can take up to 20-30% of performance for some reason.

nemiroff

Gold Member
In my experience, I can count on one hand the games that have given decent HDR experiences on PC. Generally, it's an afterthought or just poorly implemented. Shame.

How so? Can't agree if we're talking about fairly recent games. HDR is both hardware specific and a per game basis (like on console where some games have good HDR, some poor). Logically, older games that had a bad implementation and a lack of standards under W10 will remain with lackluster HDR support. Bad HDR is bad HDR regardless of platform.

you just have to switch between HDR on/off most of the time on desktop

I believe you when you say that's how it is for you. But I don't ever have to touch or click anything when playing a HDR game on my PC. Also, W11 does not usually visibly switch between SDR and HDR when starting a HDR game even though it did on my old HDR monitor (well, as I mentioned, f.ex. Elden Ring is only HDR in exclusive fullscreen, so the switch will occur in that game specifically).

In newer games with proper HDR implementation and a calibrated W11, the experience is virtually seamless.

Last edited:

Bojji

I believe you when you say that's how it is for you. But I don't ever have to touch or click anything when playing a HDR game on my PC. Also, W11 does not visibly switch between SDR and HDR when starting a HDR game even though it did on my old HDR monitor.

In newer games with proper HDR implementation and a calibrated W11, the experience is seamless.

If you keep your Windows in HDR all the time then sure you don't have to do anything. I keep it in SDR when HDR is not needed, 99% of the content on the internet was made with SDR in mind.

Most games don't even show HDR options when HDR is not engaged on system level.

nemiroff

Gold Member
If you keep your Windows in HDR all the time then sure you don't have to do anything. I keep it in SDR when HDR is not needed, 99% of the content on the internet was made with SDR in mind.

Most games don't even show HDR options when HDR is not engaged on system level.

I see what you mean. Yes, and I use bespoke color profile for that, no hard switch needed. But how is this different from f.ex. a console (I know you didn't say that, but I'm just asking)?

Last edited:

Bojji

I see what you mean. Yes, and I use bespoke color profile for that, no hard switch needed. But how is this different from f.ex. a console (I know you didn't say that, but I'm just asking)?

Both PS5 and Xbox switches automatically when game support or don't support HDR. PS5 menu is in HDR but it switches to SDR when game don't support it, Xbox menu is in SDR but it switches to HDR when games support it etc.

I think biggest MS mistake was to not have system like that in Windows, only few games can force HDR inside their menus no matter desktop settings (like Hitman or AC Valhalla).

b0uncyfr0

I guess one downside is you have to activate HDR in Win 11 for it to work?? :messenger_confused:

Ive yet to see many games that activate HDR on their own. On consoles, its seamless.

Both PS5 and Xbox switches automatically when game support or don't support HDR. PS5 menu is in HDR but it switches to SDR when game don't support it, Xbox menu is in SDR but it switches to HDR when games support it etc.

I think biggest MS mistake was to not have system like that in Windows, only few games can force HDR inside their menus no matter desktop settings (like Hitman or AC Valhalla).
True, turning it on and off is just a button press, but it's a shame there isn't more games that force HDR on in games on pc when they support it. I don't like forcing HDR on SDR games. It's not accurate.

Also I noticed that in order to get the settings from the hdr calibration app to be properly recognised by the pc I should always turn on my LG Oled first and then the pc. Makes sense since otherwise the pc cannot compute what display is being used.

Last edited:

LectureMaster

Gold Member
Been tinkering it for two weeks since got my 65G4. It is not as simple as console but like everything on PC, it is highly customizable. If you put time and effort fiddling it, the results can be breathtaking.

A big plus is the RTX HDR which really sublimates the SDR contents.

calistan

The last time I used Windows HDR it was a mess. Any time I changed the volume or got any other pop-up notification it made the monitor flip back to SDR mode until the pop-up went away. Each HDR/SDR switch would trigger the monitor's own on-screen display to pop up, showing the HDMI port and resolution, etc.

If it's better these days (it could hardly be worse than that) maybe I should try again.

nemiroff

Gold Member

I appreciate the on-point reply. Yes you're right, some games do indeed switch HDR on/off by themselves. I think this will be increasingly seamless. Things just have to catch up, and they actually _have_ become much better.

We also see more support for HDR standards. My monitor recently got support for Dolby Vision f.ex.

Overall, for now, I still prefer my way by keeping HDR always on and simply switching color profile if needed (usually not needed).

edit:

The last time I used Windows HDR it was a mess. Any time I changed the volume or got any other pop-up notification it made the monitor flip back to SDR mode until the pop-up went away. Each HDR/SDR switch would trigger the monitor's own on-screen display to pop up, showing the HDMI port and resolution, etc.

If it's better these days (it could hardly be worse than that) maybe I should try again.

I know what you mean, it used to happen with me, especially the XBox Bar and volume popups, very annoying. I'm not sure why I don't see them anymore. It might be a mix of developers and MS catching up by updating their apps, and hardware and standards improving. Idk.

Last edited:

TheStam

Windows HDR is really simple nowadays compared to a couple of years ago.

Agree about RTX HDR for non-HDR games. I feel it is a god-send. It's so much better than the heavy handed Windows Auto-HDR. I run almost everything in HDR or fake-HDR. The only frustrating part is that RTX HDR doesn't work with DLDSR which I find is amazing for older games, but then I have to make a choice and I tend to go with resolution.

The frustrating part with HDR is in-game settings with sliders that are never standardized and sometimes vague. Some games also have raised blacks and things like that, but I assume it is the same on console. At least on PC you can mod this, but it's a bit annoying.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
It's a keyboard shortcut to activate HDR on PC. Pretty simple. Most games that have HDR support on console also have it on PC. According to wiki it's about 420 games that support HDR on PC.

Edit. There's also a nice HDR calibration tool for windows now similar to what's on PS5 and Xbox. Simple to use.

Add all of this with great OLED and mini led monitors now and it's great.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Windows HDR is really simple nowadays compared to a couple of years ago.

Agree about RTX HDR for non-HDR games. I feel it is a god-send. It's so much better than the heavy handed Windows Auto-HDR. I run almost everything in HDR or fake-HDR. The only frustrating part is that RTX HDR doesn't work with DLDSR which I find is amazing for older games, but then I have to make a choice and I tend to go with resolution.

The frustrating part with HDR is in-game settings with sliders that are never standardized and sometimes vague. Some games also have raised blacks and things like that, but I assume it is the same on console. At least on PC you can mod this, but it's a bit annoying.

Indeed, I often roll my eyes with some of the utterly nonsensical HDR calibration tools in games.

The HDR calibration app for W11 is solid, all games should have this style calibration (or somehow automatically use the existing HDR color profile in the Windows system).

Last edited:

Akuji

With how layering works in Windows and how diffrent programs have the say over every Window it would introduce alot more problems. At xbox they can Design from the ground up how this works, Windows has so many legacy things attached and how they work. If they Want to do this then games cannot run fullscreen anymore because fullscreen means the gpu is in charge.

Windowed Mode says the gpu has to work under Windows.

Seems fine these days. Most games need HDR activating (simple keyboard shortcut) but there's a few like Sekiro and the Volition stuff that at least give you the auto switch - it's just hit & miss whether a game does it or not.

Not really a fan of Auto-HDR, few times have tried haven't looked too good. Darktide, even with having a profile for it apparently, just killed it for me. Has nice bright highlights but the black level looked noticeably raised which killed the atmosphere of the game. Why it doesn't have an actual HDR implementation instead is beyond me, pretty much just run SDR most of the time and only use HDR on PC when properly supported

DaciaJC

Gold Member
90dbm7.jpg

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Depends , do you do other things than game on this pc? If no Then yes it's easy...
If you do anything else then no it sucks.

It just needs a no hdr for desktop toggle . Not a complete on and off switch like it has now. Not sure why that's so hard?

violence

I guess one downside is you have to activate HDR in Win 11 for it to work?? :messenger_confused:

Ive yet to see many games that activate HDR on their own. On consoles, its seamless.
I assume most people hit the key bind “Windows logo key + Alt + B”. I have a keyboard with macros so I just hit one button.

Holammer

I have HDR on all the time since I did the calibration in windows 11.
It can potentially get annoying with Auto HDR, but it only really happened once with CEMU when I play BotW where the desert and snow regions can get a tad glowy (the art style is clearly a problem for Auto HDR). But it enhances the game so much in other places, so I don't mind.

If it's a problem, just plop over to display settings and turn it off manually.
display Settings > graphics > app/game

MarkyG

How so? Can't agree if we're talking about fairly recent games. HDR is both hardware specific and a per game basis (like on console where some games have good HDR, some poor). Logically, older games that had a bad implementation and a lack of standards under W10 will remain with lackluster HDR support. Bad HDR is bad HDR regardless of platform.

I believe you when you say that's how it is for you. But I don't ever have to touch or click anything when playing a HDR game on my PC. Also, W11 does not usually visibly switch between SDR and HDR when starting a HDR game even though it did on my old HDR monitor (well, as I mentioned, f.ex. Elden Ring is only HDR in exclusive fullscreen, so the switch will occur in that game specifically).

In newer games with proper HDR implementation and a calibrated W11, the experience is virtually seamless.
My experiences vary per game, so it's very mixed. Some games have proper, in built HDR features that will toggle on/off when you select the option in game. Sadly, most of them won't detect HDR until you enable it in Windows before you launch the game. Here are some recent/not so recent titles I've toyed with. All with varying degrees of success:

Resident Evil 4 Remake - Awful, especially in more darker areas. Has to be enabled in Windows before launching the game.
Assassin's Creed Valhalla does have quite decent HDR. Quite well done. - Can be controlled in game without having to enable in Windows before launch, decent!
Days Gone - Hit and miss, seems overly blown out in certain areas - Has to be enabled in Windows first.

Any tips that would improve things would be welcome. :)

TheStam

Indeed, I often roll my eyes with some of the utterly nonsensical HDR calibration tools in games.

The HDR calibration app for W11 is solid, all games should have this style calibration (or somehow automatically use the existing HDR color profile in the Windows system).

Yeah, I mean why not at least have a scale of brightness in nits in every game so that it's easy to set the correct setting according to your monitors max nits. Some have it, but sometimes you get silly made up scales that doesn't even mean anything, or just a slider where you're supposed to judge it by some test image which I find difficult. Best would be if it was auto-detected, maybe in the future.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Just reading this thread makes it clear the answer to OP's question is "no"

I still have nightmares about trying to get HDR to work with RE7 on my TV. Ended up playing through the game on PS5 years later lol.

Zimmy68

Nope. At least on mine.
If a game supports HDR, it should turn on HDR while I play it, just like consoles.
This doesn't happen.

MAX PAYMENT

Thinking of getting an sff gaming PC and just wondering how HDR is on PC games these days. Will be pairing with an ultragear LG27

I remember a few years back HDR was still a bit hit and miss, any inputs?
Right now HDR on PC drastically exceeds consoles because you can configure HDR in games beyond what you can with consoles. If a game's native HDR is poorly implemented, you can fix it yourself with tools like Special K HDR and reshade.

You can also use Special K to add HDR to SDR games and it's far better than windows auto HDR.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Right now HDR on PC drastically exceeds consoles because you can configure HDR in games beyond what you can with consoles. If a game's native HDR is poorly implemented, you can fix it yourself with tools like Special K HDR and reshade.

You can also use Special K to add HDR to SDR games and it's far better than windows auto HDR.

ah, I forgot about Special K (even though I have it installed)... Good stuff.

Last edited:
Top Bottom