• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is HDR on PC as simple and good as console these days?

MAX PAYMENT

my experience with win11:

step 1. turn on HDR in windows

thats it
What I've seen so far since I've messed with it, all SDR content looks worse with HDR left on in windows. I believe that's the reason Auto HDR was created to begin with. It is absolutely worth toggling HDR on and off at the system level depending on the content.

Someone posted a program that toggles it automatically. I will absolutely be downloading it

Haint

What I've seen so far since I've messed with it, all SDR content looks worse with HDR left on in windows. I believe that's the reason Auto HDR was created to begin with. It is absolutely worth toggling HDR on and off at the system level depending on the content.

Someone posted a program that toggles it automatically. I will absolutely be downloading it
Because W11 SDR (only when HDR is turned on) uses the completely wrong gamma, piecewise SRGB instead of 2.2. This results in low ire contrast being washed out compared to the gamma 2.2 they should be using. MS is literally run and managed by clowns in Bozo noses who have no idea what they're doing.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

Yea, it's always been the case. Crazy how MS hasn't gotten this right for a decade.

King Dazzar

For me PC's have an advantage in terms of options when converting SDR to HDR. However, with consoles I love that everything is fully automatic in terms of selecting the correct colour space and engaging HDR. And dropping back to SDR without any issues or set up required. Faff free. And I know its doing it 100% accurately at all times.

Regardless of the platform, I'm still usually looking into analysis to know what the in game sliders do. As they often aren't accurate. It's good to know where I stand in terms of peak brightness and black level. And I find it easier to have confidence in HDR specifics and what the consoles are actually out putting than PC. But I'm usually pushing HDR to 3k nit.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
Because W11 SDR (only when HDR is turned on) uses the completely wrong gamma, piecewise SRGB instead of 2.2. This results in low ire contrast being washed out compared to the gamma 2.2 they should be using. MS is literally run and managed by clowns in Bozo noses who have no idea what they're doing.

Interesting too bad that fix also convert HDR10 colorspaces as well, which definitely would suffer from it.

Minsc

Gold Member
Yeah I wouldn't bother with fixes, best thing to do is just turn HDR on/off with the hotkeys when not using.

Yeah, that's what I do, at least it's pretty painless and only takes a second.

It's just weird you can't display SDR inside of HDR and have it look the same outside of HDR mode. Probably saving that for Windows 12 lol.

buenoblue

It does work pretty well on windows 11. But the actual presentation is not as good as PS5 imo. The image just pops more on PS5 and the peak brightness seems higher. And I've tried many hours to fine tune HDR on PC.
It still looks pretty great on most PC games though.

Samsung QD OLED and 4070 ti for reference.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Windows 11 HDR is good, but RTX HDR for Nvidia GPU's are even better. Often better than in-game HDR, so yes, I would say HDR on PC is just as good as consoles.

Diddy X

Good info ITT, HDR on COD Cold War on Steam seems kinda weak I will try to fix it.

Last edited:

Bojji

It does work pretty well on windows 11. But the actual presentation is not as good as PS5 imo. The image just pops more on PS5 and the peak brightness seems higher. And I've tried many hours to fine tune HDR on PC.
It still looks pretty great on most PC games though.

Samsung QD OLED and 4070 ti for reference.

Maybe it's the difference in tv PC mode vs console mode? IDK, I don't have Samsung.

HDR in PC and PS5 games looks the same to me on LG. I have them both in 4:4:4 chroma modes.

Three

I remember PC automatically disabling HDR in fullscreen mode. Good times troubleshooting that by running in windowed mode.

nemiroff

Gold Member
Yea, it's always been the case. Crazy how MS hasn't gotten this right for a decade.
Thinking of getting an sff gaming PC and just wondering how HDR is on PC games these days. Will be pairing with an ultragear LG27

I remember a few years back HDR was still a bit hit and miss, any inputs?
It will never be as good and simple as in consoles, but it is much better now than it was a few years ago.
Every issue I had with HDR was fixed with windows 11. The only slight annoyances is you have to activate HDR before launching the game, not after, on many new games still. RTX HDR is pretty great.
Nope. At least on mine.
If a game supports HDR, it should turn on HDR while I play it, just like consoles.
This doesn't happen.

Dark Souls Gamer GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

Last edited:
I got my first HDR monitor, an Alienware AW2725DF QD-OLED, earlier this year and my experience is that it is extremely clunky to use on PC compared with my PS5 and Xbox Series X. This is because on consoles HDR works automatically for games, movies and even YouTube where it will enable automatically when you watch an HDR video but use SDR otherwise.

On PC, you have to manually enable / disable HDR as there really isn't a reliable auto HDR solution in my experience. All the Windows Auto HDR does is apply HDR to SDR games that don't support HDR rather than being a toggle that turns HDR on for games with HDR. And, yes, you can toggle on HDR and leave it on all the time if you want but I don't want to be using HDR while browsing or using content that doesn't support HDR as it looks way too bright and becomes uncomfortable to look at.

Windows key + Alt + B is basically workaround, allowing me to quickly toggle HDR on and off prior to loading a game or watching a movie/TV show I know supports HDR.

If I had to rate the HDR experience for comparison then I'd say that PS5 and Xbox Series X are 9/10 whereas the PC is more around 5/10, maybe more 4/10. HDR works fine when it on but it just more clunky to use on PC in my opinion.

The only issue with HDR in Windows is that normal Windows looks like shit when HDR is on, so most people leave Windows on SDR when browsing with Chrome or whatever and only turn HDR on when watching HDR movies or playing HDR games. So it's one extra step to manually toggle HDR on and off compared to consoles

Top Bottom