• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is no one amazed by how we can play games handheld at higher settings than PS4/Xone? Bought RE2 for $6 today on CDKEYS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddux4164

Banned
It’s beyond comprehension to me.
I’m playing a game at higher frames and better graphics than PS4 and Xbox One

Also, this little handheld gets Phantom Liberty (cyberpunk 2077) and most other “next gen” games running like butter

Beyond insane to me. Also Halloween coming and for $6. Who can resist?

Bernoulli

M2 slut
PS4 was released 11 years ago, even phones now can run those games
we should have PS5 games now on handhelds if nvidia took seriously their Tegra chips

Gonzito

Call me crazy, I own a steamdeck but I much rather play on a big screen with ultra graphics. I enjoy more games that way for dome reason. That being said, it's a very good thing to have these machines too for those who prefer portable experience but I don't know man, I guess I am more old school in that sense

Maddux4164

Banned
we should have PS5 games now on handhelds if nvidia took seriously their Tegra chips
Phantom liberty can’t be played on PS4 Pro and Xbox One X

My handheld can play it. Wild to me

Embearded

The first time i was impressed with handhelds was when PSP could play MGS1 and i didn't need the TV anymore.

After that it felt like normal evolution.

Call me crazy, I own a steamdeck but I much rather play on a big screen with ultra graphics. I enjoy more games that way for dome reason. That being said, it's a very good thing to have these machines too for those who prefer portable experience but I don't know man, I guess I am more old school in that sense
Guess I'm crazy too then. I personally don't see the appeal of playing games handheld at all. But yeah, super cool tech for those who do.

Cyberpunkd

So where are these games on the phones?

Oh My Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Cyberpunkd

Guess I'm crazy too then. I personally don't see the appeal of playing games handheld at all. But yeah, super cool tech for those who do.
As for me i barely play my ps5 after getting a steam deck. It’s way too much hussle to fire it up and sit in front of the tv when I could be chilling in bed.

ZehDon

I love playing games on my Steam Deck, and RE2 is actually one of my favourite games to play on it. I'm never stopped being impressed by what they crammed into the palm of my hand.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Not to be a nerd about it but the SNES came out in 1991, GBA was more advanced graphically and came out in 2001, I think, so, it's not that amazing.

Edit: PSP came out in 2005 and could outperform PSX, a 1994 system, easily as well.

Last edited:
You just got a Steam Deck? Enjoy, my dude! It even plays some multiplayer games really well, like Apex and Overwatch. Glad you're having fun!

Maddux4164

Banned
Not to be a nerd about it but the SNES came out in 1991, GBA was more advanced graphically and came out in 2001, I think, so, it's not that amazing.

Edit: PSP came out in 2005 and could outperform PSX, a 1994 system, easily as well.
You’re making my point. A decade behind is/was handhelds

But now the 2017 Xbox 1 X can’t play games the steam deck can

My 2-3 generation was exaggerated. Geez. Ok scientists lol 😂

But it’s absolutely a generation behind. Y’all quit with the nonsense of “nope. They’re equal and always”

Stop

Maddux4164

Banned
Death stranding? Resident evil 4 remake and 8? AC Mirage? The tech is there, it's the audience wanting to buy high end games that isn't .
Why can’t the X1X and PS4 pro play the expansion on cyberpunk?

Yet hey, a portable is fully supported

baphomet

The Steam Deck is pretty weak. Most current AAA games you'll be lucky to get a solid 30fps at well under 720p.

But for what it is, it's a great machine.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
It depends on the game, personally I don't care about ultra settings when playing handheld, just have stable framerate
So where are these games on the phones?

Oh My Reaction GIF by Saturday Night Live

Skifi28

I don't see why they can't in terms of tech, it's the same game with added content. Sometimes studios have to prioritize where they release stuff and older platforms often get the boot as they don't make that much money after a certain point. Jedi survivor started as a "next-gen" game only and now gets a release on older platforms, so it seems it was always possible in terms of tech.

I'm not sure why you're so caught up on the deck having access to some recent games then PS4/X1 doesn't. It's not like devs target the deck specifically during development, it's just a PC so with cutbacks most games will work in some capacity. In your shoes, I'd be far more excited about emulating older stuff instead of the 10-20 recent AAA games not releasing on 10+ year old platforms for whatever reason.

Last edited:

killatopak

Gold Member

It's just a matter of storage read speed and cpu having more advances. Just like I can fit all of PSX Final Fantasies in a single UMD disc for the PSP. Increase the memory and cpu clocks and make loading faster while playing PSX games on the PSP. It simulates a faster disc read speed that isn't possible in the original hardware.

Ozzie666

We just need some major break throughs in battery tech for products like these and cars. Batteries can't keep pace with other tech.

Anyone close to cracking cold fusion or the power source from back to the future??

For those of us who lived through the original game boy up until the PSP and VIta, yes I am pretty amazed overall. Makes me miss the Vita or the GBA as dedicated handhelds too.

Last edited:

StueyDuck

Also, this little handheld gets Phantom Liberty (cyberpunk 2077) and most other “next gen” games running like butter

Beyond insane to me. Also Halloween coming and for $6. Who can resist?

Not really.

The ps4 and one were underpowered for their time.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Console players are not technically inclined at all so they are not amazed.

Maddux4164

Banned
Funnily enough $6 is a terrible deal currently. Humble Bundle has literally all the RE games for $30 right now, or less if you don't want Village, etc
Yeah but I own many of them. So paying $30 for them wouldn’t make sense now would it?

I’ve got many “humble bundles” myself.

But wouldn’t make any sense buying a franchise worth of games when I own 90% of them already

Maddux4164

Banned
I don't see why they can't in terms of tech, it's the same game with added content. Sometimes studios have to prioritize where they release stuff and older platforms often get the boot as they don't make that much money after a certain point. Jedi survivor started as a "next-gen" game only and now gets a release on older platforms, so it seems it was always possible in terms of tech.

I'm not sure why you're so caught up on the deck having access to some recent games then PS4/X1 doesn't. It's not like devs target the deck specifically during development, it's just a PC so with cutbacks most games will work in some capacity. In your shoes, I'd be far more excited about emulating older stuff instead of the 10-20 recent AAA games not releasing on 10+ year old platforms for whatever reason.
Emulation? An old android can emulate everything from 1982-2002 with no issues and can be bought for $100 or less. Emulation on retro games is super easy

DrDamn

Steam deck benefiting greatly from half the pixel count (720p/800p vs 1080p). It looks great on the small screen but it’s a very important factor in the comparison you are making. It helps a lot that you can balance the graphics settings to your preferences on SD though. Stuff like targeting 40fps is great.

Skifi28

Emulation? An old android can emulate everything from 1982-2002 with no issues and can be bought for $100 or less. Emulation on retro games is super easy
I personally hate playing games on my phone. Touch screens suck, controllers for phones are cumbersome and expensive and then you drain your battery or you get a call/message while gaming . A steam deck is perfect for emulation.

CS Lurker

The switch couldn’t remotely dream of this.

Switch is 2015 tech using 1/3 of the Deck's power consumption. It's to be expected that a hardware released ~7 years later and using 3 times more power would perform much better.

Last edited:

Maddux4164

Banned
I personally hate playing games on my phone. Touch screens suck, controllers for phones are cumbersome and expensive and then you drain your battery or you get a call/message while gaming . A steam deck is perfect for emulation.
Any phone can be paired with attachable controllers or out right Xbox or PlayStation controllers

0 humans buy an expensive steam deck to play Mario or crash bandicoot via emulation

Maddux4164

Banned
Switch is 2015 tech using 1/3 of the Deck's power consumption. It's to be expected that a hardware ~7 years younger using 3 times more power would perform much better.
Right. So I’m correct. You’re making my point. Why so angry? I’m aware of the tech and shit Tegra chip in the switch

Geez. Just made a fun thread on how it’s cool to play modern AAA games on a portable at high settings

Now I’m attacked from ALL sides

You fucks are crazy 😅

Maddux4164

Banned
Ok. Sorry I’ve offended the INCEL club on NEOGAF

No wonder our reputation sucks

Made a small post on its fun I can play a game on a handheld

Nerds are coming in attacking me

You guys need a life. Any life. Pick one.

Fucks sake man. I’ve posted on here for many years and somehow my positive post triggered you incel clowns

😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂

Maddux4164

Banned
I don't think anyone attacked you. You sound very surprised by things that seem obvious, people just pointed it out.
Name any handheld prior to steam deck that can handle modern day AAA games?

You can’t. Didn’t exist. FFS. Was my entire point. 😅😂

The switch has sold more units than pretty much every gaming console or handheld ever.

Maddux4164

Banned
This is my last post on my own thread

Just came to make a positive post on how it’s fun and cool to play a game on a handheld

Now I’m attacked and berated

It’s no wonder the entire internet laughs at GAF

Bunch of clowns

Skifi28

Name any handheld prior to steam deck that can handle modern day AAA games?

You can’t. Didn’t exist. FFS. Was my entire point. 😅😂

The switch has sold more units than pretty much every gaming console or handheld ever.
"-How can the deck play games better than the PS4????"

*People explain why*

"- I AM ATTACKED"

I am puzzled. Nobody "attacked" you. If anything, you appear the most aggressive here and even resorted to name calling. I'm out.

Maddux4164

Banned
"-How can the deck play games better than the PS4????"

*People explain why*

"- I AM ATTACKED"

I am puzzled. Nobody "attacked" you. If anything, you appear the most aggressive here and even resorted to name calling. I'm out.
Just wanted to make a cool and fun thread. Positive post. You moron incel nerds felt the need to make me out to be a bad guy. Whatever man. Done here

Skifi28

Just wanted to make a cool and fun thread. Positive post. You moron incel nerds felt the need to make me out to be a bad guy. Whatever man. Done here
If this is how you react to people having a discussion with you, then you will not be missed. If you want to have a monologue, start a blog.

Mownoc

Errr. I don't see anyone insulting or attacking you in this thread. I think you've gotten yourself worked up and need to take a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom