• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Islamic authority issues fatwa forbidding travel to Mars: too similar to suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.
The United Arab Emirate's Islamic authority has a clear, urgent message for Muslims: Don't go to Mars.

The General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowment has issued a fatwa prohibiting participation or promotion of one-way trips to the red planet, the Khaleej Times reported Wednesday.

“Such a one-way journey poses a real risk to life, and that can never be justified in Islam,” the committee said. “There is a possibility that an individual who travels to planet Mars may not be able to remain alive there, and is more vulnerable to death.”

The committee cited verses of the Koran exalting the protection of life and forbidding suicide and murder.

Whoever opts for this “hazardous trip”, the committee said, is likely to die for no “righteous reason”, and thus will be liable to a “punishment similar to that of suicide in the Hereafter,” the Khaleej Times wrote.

The far-fetched fatwa is likely in response to a Dutch company’s $6 billion Mars One project, which issued a call last year for applicants interested in colonizing the planet. The inhabitants’ lives would be documented on a reality show.

Source :

http://m.nydailynews.com/1.1621020

As Muslim myself, I am sorry to say that if I had the chance I WILL go to Mars no matter what anyone says.

Update :

The Mars One project issues a reply : http://www.mars-one.com/news/press-...wa-issued-by-the-general-authority-of-islamic

The General Authority of Islamic Affairs and Endowment (GAIAE) in the United Arab Emirates issued a Fatwa against Muslims applying to be a Mars One applicant. The committee argued that an attempt to dwell on the planet would be so hazardous as to be suicidal and killing oneself is not permitted by Islam.

Mars One's mission is to extend to all humans, including Muslims, the chance to become the Neil Armstrong of Mars. Mars One has no political or religious interests, but hopes that this great honor will be achievable for anyone in the world, no matter what their religion or nationality is.

Do the dangers associated with exploration merit a Fatwa?

And among His Signs is the creation of the heavens and the earth, and the variations in your languages and your colors: verily in that are Signs for those who know. (Quran 30: 22)

The Muslim world has for centuries had a rich tradition of exploration. The verse from the Quran above encourages Muslims to go out and see the signs of God’s creation in the ‘heavens and the earth’. The most influential example of this was the Moroccan Muslim traveller, Ibn Battuta, who from 1325 to 1355 travelled 73,000 miles, visiting the equivalent of 44 modern countries. Among the countries Ibn Battuta visited were Russia, Afghanistan, India, the Maldives, Indonesia, Vietnam, the Philippines and China.

His travels, documented in his famous journal, Rihla, have taught us more about the medieval societies in those countries than dozens of other historical texts put together. In that book, he wrote about seeing the signs of God’s creation wherever he travelled. He told us ‘Never, so far as possible, to cover a second time any road’.

The mission to Mars is a road that has never been walked before, even though the first settlers will be walking in the footsteps of Ibn Battuta, Marco Polo, Neil Armstrong, or any of the other great explorers in history.

Space Exploration, just like Earth exploration throughout history, will come with risks and rewards. We would like to respectfully inform the GAIAE about elements of the Mars One mission that reduce the risk to human life as much as possible. It may seem extremely dangerous to send humans to Mars today, but the humans will be preceded by at least eight cargo missions. Robotic unmanned vehicles will prepare the habitable settlement. Water and a breathable atmosphere will be produced inside the habitat and the settlement will be operational for two years, even before the first crew leaves Earth. Each of the cargo missions will land in a system very similar to the human landing capsule. An impressive track record of the landing technology will be established before risking human lives. It should be noted that the moon lander was never test on the Moon before Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin landed successfully on the Moon.

If we may be so bold: the GAIAE should not analyze the risk as they perceive it today. The GAIAE should assess the potential risk for humans as if an unmanned habitable outpost is ready and waiting on Mars. Only when that outpost is established will human lives be risked in Mars One's plan. With eight successful consecutive landing and a habitable settlement waiting on Mars, will the human mission be risk-free? Of course not. Any progress requires taking risks, but in this case the reward is 'the next giant leap for mankind'. That reward is certainly worth the risks involved in this mission.

Mars One respectfully requests GAIAE to cancel the Fatwa and make the greatest Rihla, or journey, of all times open for Muslims too. They can be the first Muslims to witness the signs of God’s creation in heaven, drawing upon the rich culture of travel and exploration of early Islam.

The lives and journey of the first Mars settlers will tell us more about our place in the universe than any other humans before us.

As Ibn Battuta also wrote: ‘Travelling - it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.”

RK9039

Why would you want to go to Mars anyway? You couldn't even land there in Mass Effect, so these guys are right, they must have played Mass Effect like us.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
hznU6k7.jpg

It all makes sense.

akira28

Do not get your ass to Mars.

(I wonder if they would change their mind if it was a 2 way trip? I mean...probably not if they take that publicity stunt seriously. But these religious types are all about the publicity anyway...so.)

I am thinking of writing a story where we finally make contact with aliens and these religious nutters try to ruin it for everybody.They are so damn scared of becoming irrelevant.

ronito

Meh, the Mormon prophet once said that we would never land on the moon because it was a higher realm. He said this in the 60s, 1960s.

akira28

What happens when we get there and there are Djinns and temples, and signs of Allah? "no wait..we were wrong. Mars is cool."

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Well honestly it makes sense in a way, you wouldnt get a proper burial, maybe being far away from the holy places on Earth is a factor, stuff like that. Although it obviously becomes lame if the fatwa affects states policies.

Either way, I sure as hell wouldn't go to Mars. Fuck that, I like my atmosphere and magnetic field. Call me when it's terraformed.

It will be tricky to pray facing mecca when you're on another planet.
I guess Islam will never spread outside of earth once humanity starts colonizing the stars.

This is funny to me, but who does this 'authority' represent? Who's going to listen or care?

Which is ironic because Islam paved the way for science at one point.

But that had nothing to do with Islam itself and everything to do with location.

We need some muslim NASA people to have a response to this, sounds absolutely hilarious.

By the time we start living on Mars, we'll figure out a way how to do qibla stuff. That is like the least of the problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom