• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Islamic authority issues fatwa forbidding travel to Mars: too similar to suicide

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manu

“There is a possibility that an individual who travels to planet Mars may not be able to remain alive there, and is more vulnerable to death.”

They should forbid life, since it has a 100% possibility of death.

As a Muslim, I just wanted to let people know that just because some council in UAE issued a fatwa, this doesn't mean it represents Islam's stance on an issue. A fatwa is an opinion of the scholar and not necessarily a religious-legally binding law. Also, 99% of the worlds Muslims wouldn't know/care about this fatwa if it wasn't being given attention by the media.

faridmon

Meh, only few personnel fatwas count these days, especially now that many Imaams are treating the whole religion like a show business or a business in general.

Woorloog

Banned
EDIT i see no problem with prohibiting one-way trip. It is indirect suicide, no matter how you frame it. If there were a possibility of returning, it wouldn't be.

It will be tricky to pray facing mecca when you're on another planet.
I guess Islam will never spread outside of earth once humanity starts colonizing the stars.

Not really. Face Earth, or horizon approximately where Earth rises or something like that.

EDIT actually, i think there exists directions for any Muslim who'd go to space, and they boiled down to "face Earth, use your home's timezone for time"
http://www.wired.com/science/space/news/2007/09/mecca_in_orbit

EDIT i see no problem with prohibiting one-way trip. It is indirect suicide, no matter how you frame it. If there were a possibility of returning, it wouldn't be.

Not really. Face Earth, or horizon approximately where Earth rises or something like that.

EDIT actually, i think there exists directions for any Muslim who'd go to space, and they boiled down to "face Earth, use your home's timezone for time"
http://www.wired.com/science/space/news/2007/09/mecca_in_orbit

Come to think about it, if you are far enough,you'd be actually praying towards the stars instead of Mecca because of the curvature of the earth.

FStop7

Banned
Have they not seen Chronicles of Riddick? That Muslim planet was pretty nice. At least it was until the Underverse creepos showed up.

Woorloog

Banned
Come to think about it, if you are far enough,you'd be actually praying towards the stars instead of Mecca because of the curvature of the earth.

Yeah, far enough is actually really short distance. At average-eye level, horizon is 4.7 km away.

G.ZZZ

It will be tricky to pray facing mecca when you're on another planet.
I guess Islam will never spread outside of earth once humanity starts colonizing the stars.

Just pray generically in the direction of the sun since you're on a more distant orbit it's pretty right.

mantidor

I see no way to frame it in which it is suicide, indirect or otherwise. It makes absolutely no sense.

Carroway

So they don't want people to go to Mars unless they have a way to go back? At some point I can understand the reasoning, but then again it should be up to the individual. Not that it seems that they (The person in question) say it's forbidden, they are just saying what it means in a religious context.

Oersted

He is underestimating future muslim countries and their technical capabilities.

Their "logic" is hilarious.

How will muslims pray in Mars? Mecca is no longer just in certain 2D direction.

It never was. From a certain point on, you always miss Mecca. Its a rule which isn't based on reality.

So they don't want people to go to Mars unless they have a way to go back? At some point I can understand the reasoning, but then again it should be up to the individual. Not that it seems that they (The person in question) say it's forbidden, they are just saying what it means in a religious context.

Like I said in the OP, if I wanted to go to Mars, I won't need anyone's consent but myself.

Rajack

Not really no lol. It's not like we can terraform Mars anyway since it has a very weak magnetic field and the solar wind will blast H2O molecules into space and it will gradually lose it's water again.

Its still possible to terraform Mars, we would just have to generate an artificial magnetic field to protect the planet's atmosphere.

Eusis

Do not get your ass to Mars.

(I wonder if they would change their mind if it was a 2 way trip? I mean...probably not if they take that publicity stunt seriously. But these religious types are all about the publicity anyway...so.)
The whole logic is that you'd go there, get stranded, and die. If it was a two way trip then they probably wouldn't take issue, and if they did it'd be entirely absent as an issue if it's proven to be safe.

So is like, climbing Mount Everest too close to suicide? Or anything moderately risky?

moderately risky?

iirc but one of the only plans close to reaching fruition that involves actually placing human beings on Mars also involves leaving them there for the rest of their lives. That's not 'moderate risk'. That's literally signing the entire rest of your life away to live in a small controlled habitat on a big mean rock. Which is incredible and legendary but also understandably a grey area when it comes to religion. And also comparing Mount Everest to being sent to Mars is like comparing tiny tiny little mountain shaped apples to by far the most risky venture in the whole of human history

But is he wrong? The current plans for Mars travel and colonization are highly dubious and extremely dangerous. The people behind this don't have scientific progress in mind, they only care about publicity. I think we should rely on unmanned space exploration (robots, space probes etc.) for now until we have mastered space travel. To me this whole Mars One project is a big joke. In my opinion, everyone who is willing to sign up for this "mission" is insane, which would therefore disqualify him for any space mission. We need highly trained professionals for this, not adventurous gamblers who don't want to live on Earth anymore.

Exotoro

what exactly made him do this statement? was he kept awake by the thought of going on a one way trip to mars and didn't want anyone experiencing the same?

foxtrot3d

Banned
Oh.

I didn't play ME3. For me Mass Effect was a standalone game.

What? ME2 was fucking awesome man, so if you haven't played it you are missing out. Easily one of the GOAT games next to the original, ME3 is like 85-90% good but that ending just kills everything else.

Anion

Imagine if this authority would actually look into the situation of the poor and used Muslims in that same area by the rich oil leaders instead of wasting his time on thinking about Mars...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
What if it is to write the Koran there in case the Earth explodes one day and aliens visit Mars?

Wait a minute....

If you go to Mars, why could you never come back??

Am I missing something??
He is just ill-informed. He thinks the journey to Mars is too dangerous. And since Islam prohibits suicide, you cannot travel to Mars. Guy is not a scientist and shouldn't be talking about stuff like this. Fatwas are also not legally binding. They are just legal reasoning by Muftis. You can follow them or disregard them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom