• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel approves construction of thousands of illegal homes in West Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the peace process of course.
Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Avigdor Lieberman approved the construction of 2,500 new housing units in the West Bank on Tuesday.

Most of the units are located in settlement blocs, and 100 of which are located in Beit El.

On Monday, Netanyahu informed the members of the inner security cabinet that he has decided to lift all restrictions on Israeli construction in East Jerusalem resulting from international diplomatic pressures, two senior officials who have been briefed on what transpired at the meeting said.

Netanayhu added that at the same time when construction plans would be promoted in East Jerusalem, he intends to also advance construction in West Bank settlement blocs.
http://www.haaretz.com/israel-news/1.767203?v=E96B1E939E30B3658F1E8C59ECC335E5

Anion

Wow. This is really it. Be is moving for total dominance now. If he can settle in Jerusalem, he can make settlements anywhere

Well there's no way this can get ugly. Good thing there's a levelheaded leader in the White House who can interject and ensure that cooler heads prevail.

I truly wish I could say this comes as a surprise. Which makes it all that much worse. I find it hard to believe anyone couldn't see this coming.

Can't be a coincidence they're doing it four days after Trump got pres?

I think this is a result of weakening democracies and the rise of nationalism across the world. It's seizing an opportunity at a time of weakness where they know other countries are all talk and won't do anything to stop them. Sure it's not a coincidence, but it's not specifically because of Trump as much as I'd like to blame him.

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
Palestine was screwed regardless of who won the election. I was a Hillary supporter, helped on the campaign, etc. Her speech at AIPAC was gross and while she might have been someone who was harder on Israel than Trump will be, she wouldn't have done what needs to be done to help save Palestine from continued ethnic cleansing.

When a leader like Erdogan does something unpleasant, people bring up "well the Turkish public support him" but you don't often see the same response with Israel. It seems strange. Is there any dissenting voice in Israel?

Enco

Human garbage being human garbage.

What a shocker.

When a leader like Erdogan does something unpleasant, people bring up "well the Turkish public support him" but you don't often see the same response with Israel. It seems strange. Is there any dissenting voice in Israel?
It's the same shit. People will support these moves. Israeli government is a crock of shit and they have plenty of support.

isn't this what they've always wanted? like a lot of the settlers have been saying, Palestinians should just go.

it's a pretty dark world where i have to agree with Islamic extremists on how immoral Israel's actions are..

God damnit. Fuck Bibi.

Probably not. Though even as a Clinton supporter this is is something I doubt she would have done much about so it probably would have happened regardless.

Did you miss what happened recently with the UN resolution vote?

If democrats were in power, they would have still been pro-Israel, but they would have pushed back against Netanyahu in more subtle ways.

I mean, Hillary managed to get a ceasefire from Israel back in 2012.

Wag

I'm pretty sure a lot of moderate Jewish people around the globe are against this, but hey, Donald supports it.

We are, and I happen to know most Israelis are as well. Unfortunately, like in the US currently, the ultra-right holds the most political power in the Knesset.

kmax

Just goes to show that Israel has zero intention of committing to a two state solution, and thus are aiming to become one apartheid state.

Ultra-Orthodox Jews who believe the land is given to them by God and deserve to be there for religious/biblical reasons.
They are also exempt from the compulsory military enlistment. So not only do they want the land, they want other people's children to defend them and die if necessary.

The ultra Orthodox are the ones that give the rest of the nation a bad name.

They are also exempt from the compulsory military enlistment. So not only do they want the land, they want other people's children to defend them and die if necessary.

The ultra Orthodox are the ones that give the rest of the nation a bad name.

Also the same ultra orthodox that is responsible for the Assassination of Yitzhak Rabin.

norinrad

We are, and I happen to know most Israelis are as well. Unfortunately, like in the US currently, the ultra-right holds the most political power in the Knesset.

I support Israel, but its hard to defend the country when shit like this is going on. There was a time when i even thought Avigdor Lieberman though pretty radically was a voice to reason with and that he would be a key figure in a two state solution. Guess I've been wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom