• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Israel approves construction of thousands of illegal homes in West Bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alanood

Can someone point me to a good resource that kind of explains the whole Israel situation? I can tell it's important but it seems like it's been going on for so long that I don't even know where to start.
I think Wikipedia is fine, since you probably don't care about the details.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Egypt and Jordan are afraid Palestinian refugees will flood in and add to the general discontent of their own governments and rise up (already happened in Jordan). That's why they support the 2-State solution. They really don't give a shit about the Palestinians otherwise.

Presto.

When Palestinians broke into Egypt back in 2005, Egypt literally arrested everyone they could with pretty harsh force - looters or not. They rounded them up. Jailed tons (many of whom are still there), and shipped the others back instantly, repaired that wall multiple times and issued some really strong warnings to others.

RS4-

Isn't that basicly an act of war?

War or not, US will throw their support in and unfortunately, like it has been for a long time, not much will be done to stop the gross human rights violations.

Any time another country wants to step in, the same defence act, anti semitism, blah blah, always comes up.

Netanyahu feels empowered. He knows that if Palestine tries anything, Trump will jump to his aid.

Reminder - in the religious right's mind, the only peace that is acceptable between the two is the complete elimination of Muslims from the West Bank. This goes back to the book of Revelation, where one of the signs of the apocalypse is peace between Jews and Muslims.

zeroOman

Presto.

When Palestinians broke into Egypt back in 2005, Egypt literally arrested everyone they could with pretty harsh force - looters or not. They rounded them up. Jailed tons (many of whom are still there), and shipped the others back instantly, repaired that wall multiple times and issued some really strong warnings to others.

u mean 2008... the 2005 was after the Israel ending the siege.

Netanyahu feels empowered. He knows that if Palestine tries anything, Trump will jump to his aid.

Reminder - in the religious right's mind, the only peace that is acceptable between the two is the complete elimination of Muslims from the West Bank. This goes back to the book of Revelation, where one of the signs of the apocalypse is peace between Jews and Muslims.
Wait as a non bible historian wasn't revelations written well before Muslims existed?

Wait as a non bible historian wasn't revelations written well before Muslims existed?

Revelation 11:1-2

And there was given me a reed like unto a rod: and the angel stood, saying, Rise, and measure the temple of God, and the altar, and them that worship therein.

But the court which is without the temple leave out, and measure it not; for it is given unto the Gentiles: and the holy city shall they tread under foot forty and two months.

Per the religious right, the "Court which is without the temple" is a reference to Palestinians. Basically, this says that if peace happens, there's a 7 year countdown until the end of the world.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

Mr Git

The 2014 Gaza conflict wasn't a random act of violence. It was a response to actions started by Hamas. That picture is a result of escalation that started with an attack on Israeli civilians. I agree Israel went to far in that conflict. I don't think they're infallible and that they've done no wrong. No situation is black and white, is what I'm saying. Too many people on this board are quick to completely vilify Israel. Just the fact that I have defended some aspects of Israel is causing people here to pile on me, which is ridiculous.

Overall they're a pretty good country that is multicultural in a region that otherwise isn't and they make a lot of advances in various fields. There's a reason the western world largely supports the country and literally created it. Their government is occasionally over-zealous, and I don't support those actions. But it's clear some people have a pure hate for the country.

I'm not quick to vilify Israel. They've managed that themselves over a particularly long period. I don't hate Israel itself, but its government yep I fucking despise and anyone attempting to sugarcoat it.

Dopus

Banned
Revelation 11:1-2
Per the religious right, the "Court which is without the temple" is a reference to Palestinians. Basically, this says that if peace happens, there's a 7 year countdown until the end of the world.

The Jews don't consider the Greek Scriptures, and certainly not The Book of Revelation. There is no religious basis. That is, unless you're talking about certain Christians. In any case, that has no bearing on Israeli policy. The Knesset is mostly those who have some belief in Judaism even if it is just traditional. There is religious significance to the land of course, but nothing to do with Revelations.

Also, the word Gentile simply means those that aren't Jewish. That includes Christians too, you know like it says in multiple times throughout the Greek scriptures. That's who it is talking about. Paul travelled to Gentile nations to preach the world. There's also references of the Jewish house being abandoned and left desolate to them and given to the Gentiles because they rejected the Messiah as a people. The Gentiles then make up a 'spiritual' Israel.

There are lots of different interpretations for the 42 months and the average Christian tends to ignore most of Revelation anyway.

I'm not quick to vilify Israel. They've managed that themselves over a particularly long period. I don't hate Israel itself, but its government yep I fucking despise and anyone attempting to sugarcoat it.

He's not even sugarcoating it. It's straight revisionism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom