• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT Sets Box Office Record - Highest Previews for R-Rated film (heading for $100m OW)

As I've said in the Box-Office thread: I like that this film serves as a really good example that ratings really don't matter. They haven't mattered for awhile now. There's a couple generations of us on the board now who still treat the letter R like a combination badge of honor and scarlet letter of shame

But people don't give a fuck about what anything's rated anymore because internet/streaming has made ratings essentially useless. That letter isn't stopping anyone from watching whatever the fuck they want on whatever screen they're looking at on any given moment.

R isn't diminishing box-office anymore, because nobody cares what rating a film has, they just care that it does what it's trying to do.

We're finally coming around to the notion that you can drop your film anywhere on the calendar and it'll break out. Hopefully this movie (and Deadpool, and Logan) help people realize that you don't have to sweat cutting your film to hit a specific rating to maximize profits, either.

Cut your budget, maybe. But that's advice that a lot of studio pictures could do with following (that and make sure the script is fucking done before you start shooting, but that's still wishful thinking, I think)

kswiston

It's not gonna make 100m likely, the storm & the playoffs on Sunday will affect it. It could also be frontloaded too. I'd also say 85m+, which would be still a great number.

Not if Friday is anywhere near the $47M that Deadline is currently projecting. Even terrible holds will go past $100M with that.

I don't think it'll get terrible holds. Word of mouth from Thurs previews is sky-fucking-high, it's reviewing well...

We're probably looking at $110+ for the OW, yeah?

GhaleonEB

I don't think it'll get terrible holds. Word of mouth from Thurs previews is sky-fucking-high, it's reviewing well...

We're probably looking at $110+ for the OW, yeah?

Yeah. I can see Sunday bumped down a touch due to Urma and football, but we're talking single digits. You're right about the WoM, so $110m is feeling like a floor right now.

inm8num2

Now let's bring Orci or Kurtzmann on board and crank the SKiCM into high gear.

(Stephen King Cinematic Multiverse, pronounced like schism)

Farsi

Not surprising, outstanding marketing campaign.

The movie is also fun, it's getting well deserved good word of mouth.

It's always good to see horror movies do well at the box office. I'm seeing this tonight with my wife, who hates scary movies. It was her idea too. I wonder what is making this such a crossover success. Maybe I don't have nostalgia for the old version like other people do.

Could this become the highest grossing horror movie ever? Looking at BO Mojo's list and unless I overlooked something, the highest seems to be The Sixth Sense ($672.8 WW, $293.5 Dom)

This is getting discused in the weekly box office thread, but since it's turning into a breakout story, new thread.

Deadline:

GAF's resident box office wizard, kswiston:

Tracking earlier this week had it heading for $60m+. It's going to blow past it, mostly likely a ways north of $100m.

And if Rottentomatoes reviews were 25% instead of 89% you'd be lucky to see half the profit.

Chojin

Its good to see a well received King movie for once after what seems like decades. Incoming shit storm of shitty adaptations!

(I know he's been making efforts to reign in old licenses and de Laurentis is dead)

Hope Revival doesn't get adapted! ANTS.

EGM1966

Could this become the highest grossing horror movie ever? Looking at BO Mojo's list and unless I overlooked something, the highest seems to be The Sixth Sense ($672.8 WW, $293.5 Dom)

Given- as discussed in other threads - you can't just make a straight dollar comparison it'll depend on how popularity metrics and other ways of comparing films stack up.

That said it's got little chance of being bigger - in relation to impact and popularity at launch - than The Exorcist.

No, that's on me. Sixth Sense isn't considered horror? I was just scrolling through their highest gross list

Nah, that's not on you. BOM classifies that film as horror (Horror: Supernatural, specifically). I guess it's got ghosts in it, so that's why they're counting it?

Nothing about that film says "horror" to me though.

Now let's bring Orci or Kurtzmann on board and crank the SKiCM into high gear.

(Stephen King Cinematic Multiverse, pronounced like schism)

Keep Orci, Kurtzman, and for that matter, Goldsman and Kruger away from EVERYTHING good in the world. Stuff 'em in vault, lock it up and brick the tunnel up.

prag16

Banned
Warner Bros ain't screwing around with IT, a killer clown monster, and yet it was Sony that were the complete clowns with their recent Stephen King adaptation.

Honestly the Dark Tower adaptation was pretty good, with the right expectations going in. If you think of it as more of an
sequel or alternate timeline due to the horn of eld teaser
it's perfectly decent imo. If you were expecting something more faithful to the books, then yeah, I totally understand why a lot of people were disappointed.

I wanna see it but I HATE JUMP SCARES. I can already tell from the trailers this film is jump scare City so I'm hesitant. I really wanna see it but I'm a wimp and a scary cat.

this was our contribution

362987-19;1504814922c.jpg

I want to go see it but not sure on it yet, also want to go see blade runner but we are only going to see one film.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
It's crazy to see how much hype it's getting. My sister, who has zero interest in movies and whom I've never know to watch horror, sent me a text asking if I wanted to see it with her and her boyfriend tonight.

CREMSteve

Just got out of seeing this. It's fucking fantastic. Scary and the kids are great. Lots of laughs, lots of jumps. Will buy on BD for sure.

It's Sinister meets Stranger Things.

It's crazy to see how much hype it's getting. My sister, who has zero interest in movies and whom I've never know to watch horror, sent me a text asking if I wanted to see it with her and her boyfriend tonight.
You got a good movie getting positive world of mouth

+ a big budget crowd-pleasing horror film that's not too artful like The Witch nor too generic like yet another Conjuring

+ a wide audience appeal from young teens to 30-40 year olds who grew up on the miniseries to long-time King fans to general horror movie fans

+ the appeal of a well done Stand By Me/Goonies/Spielbergian kids-on-an-adventure coming of age story

+ basically everyone and their mother loved Stranger Things and this is a nice appetizer before Season 2 next month

Jaws is considered horror? I always just considered it a thriller

I would consider it horror at least. The line between horror and thriller is blurred a lot of the times since they are supposed to evoke similar emotion and tension. Wasn't Jaws originally billed as "The most terrifying movie ever made"

inm8num2

Sony already fucked up the CU idea by making Dark Tower bad. Gotta wait until Marve- I mean WB can do it a few years from now
Sony's failure with The Dark Tower definitely set the SKiMSCiM back a bit.

(Stephen King Multi-Studio Cinematic Multiverse)

Keep Orci, Kurtzman, and for that matter, Goldsman and Kruger away from EVERYTHING good in the world. Stuff 'em in vault, lock it up and brick the tunnel up.
All while Rothman reigns free...

Don't you value life?
I feast on your flesh and feed off your fears.

bizarrely enough, there's a wide release horror film coming out the next four out of the five weeks. I mean, this is the hit that everybody saw coming.

It is gonna eat the success of a whole buncha films.

I work at a movie theater an IT is the only movie that has any people in it. I wonder if this director could replicate this success with Silver Bullet. Who owns the rights to that any way? Did it go back to Stephen King?

bizarrely enough, there's a wide release horror film coming out the next four out of the five weeks. I mean, this is the hit that everybody saw coming.

It is gonna eat the success of a whole buncha films.
At the very least, I dont think the audience going to see IT is the same going to see mother!

v1lla21

I'm not a fan of horror movies and the only reason I go watch em is because my gf loves them, but this movie has me excited and I can't wait to watch it tomorrow.

Top Bottom