• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT Sets Box Office Record - Highest Previews for R-Rated film (heading for $100m OW)

I haven't seen the movie yet, but my girlfriend did.

She's a complete pansy when it comes to movies. She wouldn't talk to me for DAYS after watching Oldboy, and she screamed audibly multiple times while watching [REC].

She said this new IT movie is "Absolutely hilarious" and "Eh, I guess it could be scary for children."

Tell me she's wrong, and just wasn't paying attention. Is the movie more of a comedy? Is it scary at all?
For some reason my 18yr old niece said the same. She went with her friends last night and told us it was funny. Not sure how to take that as i did grow up watching the original mini series.

Boke1879

For some reason my 18yr old niece said the same. She went with her friends last night and told us it was funny. Not sure how to take that as i did grow up watching the original mini series.

If you go in expecting to be scared or it to be genuine horror you may be disappointed. There's definitely tense moments and unsettling scenes.but all in all this movie is like and adventure/coming of age tale about the kids. The kids are the reason the movie is funny.

kswiston

Official estimate for IT is $117.2M this weekend. Either Deadline overshot things on Saturday, or they are being cautious with the Sunday estimate.

Official estimate for IT is $117.2M this weekend. Either Deadline overshot things on Saturday, or they are being cautious with the Sunday estimate.

I will be seeing it after football today. I'm sure a lot of people will do the same.

But 117 in fucking September. Remember when RE movie totals in September were a thing?

Jumeira

Banned

I find, girls with groups of friends laugh alot during scary or shocking moments, it's a tactic used to disconnect oneself from the fear, it's too terrifying to be absorbed so they quickly try to trivialise what they see to break the mood.

It happens with my family members and it annoys me to no end, because they spoil it for the rest of us who are happy to be absorbed and get lost in the fear.

The themes and overall plot is quite serious if you allow the movie to dictate the mood. Unfortunately when I watched IT we had screaming girls in the back being obnoxious and laughing straight after scares, outside of that we all found it scary & tense but were frustrated with people trying to sabotage the mood because they were terrified.

GhaleonEB

Have sunday eve estimates ever been far off? Could IT still have a chance of topping Deadpools $132m?

They won't be that far off. Deadpool opened on a holiday weekend, so it's Sunday behaved like a second Saturday. IT has a normal Sunday drop off, plus the hurricane(s).

That said, they definitely lowballed Sunday, so expect it to come up a few million.

Miles X

They won't be that far off. Deadpool opened on a holiday weekend, so it's Sunday behaved like a second Saturday. IT has a normal Sunday drop off, plus the hurricane(s).

That said, they definitely lowballed Sunday, so expect it to come up a few million.

so $125 being an optimistic realistic expectation?

Was there a point in time where R-rated movies started tanking that led to more PG-13 movies, or did they just look at numbers and decide that they could make more money that way? The idea the R-rated movies couldn't do as well or better than lower rated movies always seemed weird to me, but I don't really know much about the subject.

Bookoo

I haven't seen the movie yet, but my girlfriend did.

She's a complete pansy when it comes to movies. She wouldn't talk to me for DAYS after watching Oldboy, and she screamed audibly multiple times while watching [REC].

She said this new IT movie is "Absolutely hilarious" and "Eh, I guess it could be scary for children."

Tell me she's wrong, and just wasn't paying attention. Is the movie more of a comedy? Is it scary at all?

I love scary movies and am easily startled, but I didn't find this movie scary at all. Even at 2 hours the movie felt a bit rushed and they didn't spend any real time trying to build up any tension to the scares.

That said I was extremely hyped for this movie and had just read the book so I am not surprised I was a little disappointed.

I am glad it is doing so well, but I am interested to see how the adult part of this movie will do. I know they said they plan to flash back, but without the fun banter between the kids I don't think this movie would have been as enjoyable.

GhaleonEB

Damn. Weren't people predicting 100M last week? And this thing hit 123M?

Tracking leading into the weekend was pointing to $60-70m, with signs that it might break out into the 80's. The pieces felt like they were all in place for what happened, but the magnitude wasn't at all clear until Thursday numbers hit.

Surfinn

Tracking leading into the weekend was pointing to $60-70m, with signs that it might break out into the 80's. The pieces felt like they were all in place for what happened, but the magnitude wasn't at all clear until Thursday numbers hit.

Shit. That's like what 1.5-2x weekend tracking?

I might see it this weekend.

Top Bottom