• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT Sets Box Office Record - Highest Previews for R-Rated film (heading for $100m OW)

If WB greenlights a money grab 3rd IT movie, I will be a bit pissed.

I doubt they do that. More likely they commission a similarly designed project based on another of Kings most popular novels. The Stand and Salems Lot would be good bets. Needful Things, The Langoliers, Tommyknockers or even a reimagining of Golden Years would be interesting.

groansey

I doubt they do that. More likely they commission a similarly designed project based on another of Kings most popular novels. The Stand and Salems Lot would be good bets. Needful Things, The Langoliers, Tommyknockers or even a reimagining of Golden Years would be interesting.

I'd happily watch a prequel film set in the fifties, as long as it was of similar standard to this.

And Annette O'Toole was a damn good Beverley.

It's interesting to think they could actually cast some of the kids from the miniseries as the grown ups this time, what with it being 27 years later and that.

Edit: Also, since they own the New Line label these days, surely it's time to put some talented people on a decently funded Elm Street relaunch.

groansey

Edit: Also, since they own the New Line label these days, surely it's time to put some talented people on a decently funded Elm Street relaunch.

I read a rumour they were doing this... hopefully IT will set the tone after that bloody awful Elm Street remake where Jackie Earle Haley was a fiddler. Such a bizarre angle to take on the character - how to ensure literally nobody is or will ever be rooting for Freddy.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This has probably already been brought up, but does this help The Dark Tower's chances of a sequel?

Of all of the cinematic universes, seems like this could be one of the better ones. Rights are probably all over the place though.

I read a rumour they were doing this... hopefully IT will set the tone after that bloody awful Elm Street remake where Jackie Earle Haley was a fiddler. Such a bizarre angle to take on the character - how to ensure literally nobody is or will ever be rooting for Freddy.

Tbf that angle was heavily implied in the original and some of the sequels, and it was actually in the original film before they removed it on account of a pedo scandal in a school. In one of the flashbacks they actually had him licking photos of his victims. They didn't just pull that out of the air.

I also hated the whole making him a likeable character thing they did from 3 onwards. The jokes and set-piece kills were just terrible compared to what we got in the original, where no one was rooting for him.

I actually thought JEH was the best part about that film, and pretty much the only thing they did right.

It's a no brainer green light after this success if you ask me.

Tbf that angle was heavily implied in the original and some of the sequels, and it was actually in the original film before they removed it on account of a pedo scandal in a school. In one of the flashbacks they actually had him licking photos of his victims. They didn't just pull that out of the air.

I actually thought JEH was the best part about that film, and pretty much the only thing they did right.
I wouldn't hate them bringing JEH back. But they need to fix the mythology and get someone who knows what they're doing to direct. Throw all the money at James Wan. He's worked with WB a bunch.

Edit: Or you know, fuck it. Just go full on Javier Botet for Freddy. Something really different.

groansey

It's been a while since I saw it but in the reboot don't they do like two or three fake-outs where a character thinks they're awake but fell asleep in the opening 20 minutes or so. That was one of the most effective tricks the original Elm Street pulled off, and instead they just blow their wad with it, out of context, multiple times in the opening act.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I wouldn't hate them bringing JEH back. But they need to fix the mythology and get someone who knows what they're doing to direct. Throw all the money at James Wan. He's worked with WB a bunch.

Id be fine with that, like I said I quite liked him, probably because he was closer to the original Freddy than any of the shitty comedy versions that followed.

It's been a while since I saw it but don't they do like two or three fake-outs where a character thinks they're awake but fell asleep. That was one of the most effective tricks the original Elm Street pulled off, and instead they just blow their wad with it, out of context, multiple times in the opening act.

You mean the remake? I don't recall tbh, I remember it following the structure of the remake for the first act, like I said I don't think it's a great movie overall. Although I do recall some bits later on the movie where they are falling asleep for a couple of seconds at a time. I remember quite liking those parts.

EGM1966

Wow that's above what I would have imagined particularly as the IP has already had a diluted TV movie.

Marketing was solid and seems by focusing on releasing in a clear period with good marketing (and by most accounts by being a good film with a good cast) they e really cleaned up from the available market.

Biggest horror film in a while although the genre does seem to throw up pretty regular big hitters. Guess part 2 is a lock already then. Funny I guess this is going to outgun (if you'll pardon the awful pun) The Dark Tower straight out the gate.

DeathyBoy

Banned
It's interesting to think they could actually cast some of the kids from the miniseries as the grown ups this time, what with it being 27 years later and that.

ANOES could be relaunched with ease with the OG Freddy. But I won't say how because they gotta pay me first.

Toothless

Holy shit.

Breaking the month's previous record in a single day. I think TFA is the only other movie to do that. Insane.

It's been a while since I saw it but don't they do like two or three fake-outs where a character thinks they're awake but fell asleep. That was one of the most effective tricks the original Elm Street pulled off, and instead they just blow their wad with it, out of context, multiple times in the opening act.

The original only really uses that very sparingly during the the kills and Nancy's first dream. The rest of the time, the audience and Nancy know they are sleeping. The sequels use it much more frequently as a device. Tennyson Harlin in particular loved to spam it during Dream Master including the annoying loop sequence towards the end. Three best uses of the blurring between Dreams and reality in the Nightmare films is Nancy's Dream in class in the original. Kristen's second dream in Dream Warriors when she is already at the hospital and the bloody tricycle comes into the room which leads to the roasted boar and Freddy snake setpieces and the welcome to primetime bitch sequence.

Anth0ny

Now that It is going to wreck the September record, the only two months that don't have recorded $100m+ weekends are January and October.

Record for Jan is American Sniper with $89m and Oct is Gravity with $55m.

We continue to inch closer and closer towards a movie industry that doesn't ignore months of the year because "those are soft months". Just release a good fucking movie and shut the fuck up, people will come no matter what month it is.

GhaleonEB

IT was tracking to ~$60M a week ago. It nearly hit that in one freaking day (with previews). Holy SHIT.

Been a while since we had a breakout like that. Deadpool and Jurassic World are the two that come to mind, as recent films that blew past their tracking.

Recognized property
Fuzzy, gauzy memories
General pop-culture relevance
Amazing marketing campaign
Completely desolate box-office for about a month straight.
Great word of mouth
Great reviews

It makes sense that it blew up. It was always going to blow up. That it blew up this huge is surprising, but it's also not unimaginable, either.

People like this story. People like this story so much a shitty made-for-TV version from almost 30 years ago is still fresh in people's minds. There's something about this story that maintains cultural relevance. A modern, well-made version of it speaking to people isn't weird at all. It makes perfect sense.

kswiston

IT has made around $26M from 46 overseas markets, setting horror records in several countries.

Given the typical Saturday/Sunday bumps overseas, and where the domestic take is heading, I think that the worldwide opening weekend total for IT will be in the $180-200M range.

GhaleonEB

Recognized property
Fuzzy, gauzy memories
Great word of mouth
Great reviews

It makes sense that it blew up. It was always going to blow up. That it blew up this huge is surprising, but it's also not unimaginable, either.

People like this story. People like this story so much a shitty made-for-TV version from almost 30 years ago is still fresh in people's minds. There's something about this story that maintains cultural relevance. A modern, well-made version of it speaking to people isn't weird at all. It makes perfect sense.

Conceptually, yeah it all makes sense. The reasons you list are why it was going to blow the September opening weekend record out of the water. And we were saying the pieces were in place for a breakout, but I thought that meant blowing up to $80m, not 2x its tracking. The sheer magnitude of that opening day blow up is really something to see.

Kinda wonderful, too. This movie scratched a whole bunch of itches and sends a signal to Hollywood that some of the rules they've been constraining themselves to aren't actual rules but stupid bad habits out of touch with what people want. I'm hoping this is a signal loud enough that even they can't ignore it.

Recognized property
Fuzzy, gauzy memories
Great word of mouth
Great reviews

It really was a case of everything going right. Hell, even stuff that was beyond the studio's control. The film was well into production before Stranger Things blew up, which I'm certain had an impact on the hype for IT. And cyclically, I suspect IT has made season 2 an even bigger event.

I was expecting huge numbers (just an anecdote, but my group of friends almost never agrees on what movie we should go watch, and we end up not going to the cinema often because of it and because of ticket prices being a bit too expensive, but everyone wants to watch IT for all sorts of different reasons - horror movie lovers, fans of the original, people who liked the trailers and are intrigued, people who've been waiting all Summer for a good non-superhero non-historical recreation movie...) but not this huge.

Think about this: IT broke the September opening weekend record with Friday's number alone. It just proves that in this age, if you deliver a good movie and you sell it the right way, people will come. It doesn't matter what month it is.

I was thinking that last night. If this movie is drafting off Stranger Things' success (and it's hard to argue that it isn't, to some degree, despite Stranger Things being a direct descendent of this story specifically) could you imagine how much a Stranger Things movie would have made at the box-office?

If Stranger Things 2 was actually a series finale sent to theaters instead of just a second season?

Jigorath

Banned

I wonder if King starts pushing for another adaptation of The Shining. We all know how he feels about the Kubrick movie.

Surfinn

Speaking of legs, one of the oldest box office records out there will finally fall later this month. Crocodile Dundee has held the title of top domestic gross for a September release for close to 31 years (at about $175M).
Crocodile Dundee? What the hell

I wonder if King starts pushing for another adaptation of The Shining. We all know how he feels about the Kubrick movie.

It worked out so well before...
200px-The_Shining_%28miniseries%29.jpg

Dalek

IT has made around $26M from 46 overseas markets, setting horror records in several countries.

Given the typical Saturday/Sunday bumps overseas, and where the domestic take is heading, I think that the worldwide opening weekend total for IT will be in the $180-200M range.

Geez that's awesome.

EGM1966

I guess he might given he pushed for a shitty TV version. I'd hate to be the creative team to take that on though: you might deliver better box office but you don't want to be critically compared to Kubrick in the medium of film.

Garlador

Why does he hate the original again?

The book has the dad as a normal man who slips into madness, partially through his alcoholism (which King could, you know, relate to), and how the book has the son actually save his dad's soul in the final encounter and the dad comes to his senses, love of family redeeming him.

Kubrick's movie has crazy Jack Nicholson who goes insane... And that's it.

It's more effective as a horror movie that way.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.

I also hated the whole making him a likeable character thing they did from 3 onwards. The jokes and set-piece kills were just terrible compared to what we got in the original, where no one was rooting for him.

You're thinking of Freddy vs. Jason.

Markitron

You're thinking of Freddy vs. Jason.

Ye know I could have sworn that was part 6. Either way, I think my point that the remake didn't introduce the pedo angle still stands.

If WB greenlights a money grab 3rd IT movie, I will be a bit pissed.

Might not, but we might see "other" movies take an IT route. For instance, WB owns A Nightmare on Elm Street and they've been saying they are looking to re-reboot it (some talks are even of a soft reboot that falls in line with the original series). Imagine if they focused on a younger set of teens (mind you, Nancy and her friends in the ORIGINAL were all supposed to be around 15-years old) that are close, that have to fight Freddy, who is killing the teens of Springwood.

A darker Freddy would be interesting. I still think they fuddled the remake's story. Didn't help that Sam Bayer not only showed his disdain for the NOES series, but for horror movies in general. Dude only directed the movie because Michael Bay told him that if he didn't, he could forget about having him (Bay) helm him get a foothold into the movie industry. Bayer was a music video director prior to that, and was the FIRST director Bay wanted to direct the TCM reboot, but Bayer felt that was beneath him. Bay came with other horror titles (under the Platinum Dunes banner) to give to Bayer, and Bayer kept passing on them. Bay was so tired of Bayer's attitude, he said if he didn't take this one (Elm Street Reboot), he could just stay a MV director for the rest of his life.

This has probably already been brought up, but does this help The Dark Tower's chances of a sequel?

Of all of the cinematic universes, seems like this could be one of the better ones. Rights are probably all over the place though.

Jackie was great for the part, what they DID to him wasn't. Jackie, I'll always say this, has a great face for characters. Robert did too. They knew how to work with Robert's distinct facial features when they came up with the original Freddy makeup to allow his look to come through AS WELL AS allow his face to show a range of expression. Jackie's face was caked over with makeup and such, and not only could you hardly see his unique face, it limited his range of expression. For Freddy, that is similar to putting a hockey mask on him. Expressionless slasher killers, there are TONS of them. Freddy, his expression is part of what makes him unique.

IMO, what they should've done was throw out the whole, "He's gotta look as REAL as a burn victim as possible.... because, GROUNDED IN REALITY!!!" Yeah, that was back when people where still using those type of buzzwords on a regular basis. Nah, make a Freddy design that works best with JEH's natural facial features. Fuck the whole realism, this is a fuckin' supernatural killer that slices and dices teens in their nightmares. Additional to that, modify the voice in post, just like with Robert. Give it a deep, inhuman sound. Unmodified, Robert's voice doesn't sound all that creepy, but given a more deep, demonic sound, he sounds more menacing.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Hey remember when people thought the trailer view counts were complete BS because no one could be interested in this?

Ye know I could have sworn that was part 6. Either way, I think my point that the remake didn't introduce the pedo angle still stands.

There were flashbacks in 6 but I don't remember that specifically. That movie is not exactly fresh in my memory right now, though.
I'm 99.99% sure the licking the photo thing happened in the intro to FvJ.

Caode

It's at 76 million now...yeah 100 million sounds possible.

That's the global number. It's at $51 million domestically, it's going over $100 million in the US alone this weekend. It could be within $25 million - $30 million of the $200 million mark worldwide after the weekend.

Timu

That's the global number. It's at $51 million domestically, it's going over $100 million in the US alone this weekend. It could be within $25 million - $30 million of the $200 million mark worldwide after the weekend.
Yeah, that's what I meant.=O Though that sounds awesome for the US.

Top Bottom