• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IT Sets Box Office Record - Highest Previews for R-Rated film (heading for $100m OW)

mrkgoo

I kinda like the mini series. It's inferior to the movie but it does explain all the mysteries properly.
It's funny, there was no internet when I was little (at least not enough for me to be researching this kind of stuff out properly) and I had always heard how classic the movie was, so when this came to broadcast TV I sat down to watch. I had no idea it was the tv series. I keep waiting for jack Nicholson to show up.

Hey remember when people thought the trailer view counts were complete BS because no one could be interested in this?

A lot of trailer view counts are bullshit because the view counts being promoted in studio PR include social media autoplays of 3 seconds or less.

Looking at YouTube is a decent indicator of awareness/interest, because you know people HAVE to actually search it out and hit play to watch it. But it's still not a one-to-one where those trailer views are going to extrapolate to a specific box-office range, either.

It's a good indicator that your film has legitimate buzz, but the larger "175mil views across social media" shit is just empty hype. It doesn't really mean shit. Not as much as views where you know the people viewing it are people that specifically sought the video out and pressed play themselves.

As shameless as a Nightmare on Elm St reboot in the vein of IT with a younger cast sounds, I would be more intrigued to watch it than the Platinum Dunes one.

It would be worth it to see Freddy Krueger get curb stomped by a bunch of 12 year-olds.

DeathyBoy

Banned
As shameless as a Nightmare on Elm St reboot in the vein of IT with a younger cast sounds, I would be more intrigued to watch it than the Platinum Dunes one.

It would be worth it to see Freddy Krueger get curb stomped by a bunch of 12 year-olds.

Only if he uses PlayStation VR st one point.

Time for New Line to dust off the old Dream Lover script. Give a solid budget and maybe the prospect of doing Old Man Freddy might even get Englund to come back for a true swan song.

Buckle

Just got out. Lives up to the hype, feeling seemed mutual as a lot of people were clapping at the end. been awhile since I seen a good mainstream monster movie like this.

People for some reason brought their kids who could be heard screaming every time Pennywise showed up.

Especially as the headless phantom and the giant projection.

After awhile, it got hard to tell whether it was coming from the kids in the film or the audience.

Guess if they were traumatized by Tim Curry as a kid, it only felt right that they pass it on with Bill Skarsgard.

carlsojo

Perfect storm for IT between word of mouth and absolutely nothing else new out in theaters the past few weeks. It probably helps that it's a good movie, but I haven't seen it yet so I can't judge.

dlauv

I don't know that its horror at all though.

Its supernatural, yeah.

I dunno. Genre is weird.

It scared the fuck out of me as a kid. Can't say many '80s horror movies did.

There was some pretty fucked up imagery too -- being of the supernatural variety probably classifies it.

Then again, Silence of the Lambs is considered horror.

weepy

While I love the man and his take on Pennywise is iconic, he had literally nothing to do with this film. In fact, I'd wager that if this movie didn't rate well and have good WOM it would have been compared to the rose-tinted tv movie and probably bombed because a lot of millennials think "Curry's clown is better...".

While I love the man and his take on Pennywise is iconic, he had literally nothing to do with this film. In fact, I'd wager that if this movie didn't rate well and have good WOM it would have been compared to the rose-tinted tv movie and probably bombed because a lot of millennials think "Curry's clown is better...".

The movie doesn't hold up at all, but his performance as Pennywise certainly does. Curry is responsible for making an entire generation afraid of clowns.

And let's be honest, Curry's Pennywise is the main reason we even care about the remake and watching it in the first place (which I'm actually about to go watch right now).

GhaleonEB

The movie doesn't hold up at all, but his performance as Pennywise certainly does. Curry is responsible for making an entire generation afraid of clowns.

And let's be honest, Curry's Pennywise is the main reason we even care about the remake and watching it in the first place (which I'm actually about to go watch right now).

I care about this version because I read the book six times as kid. I saw the mini series once.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.

I really don't think this is true at all. There's some nostalgia for the miniseries, but the movie is based on a hugely popular book and was marketed very well. The idea that Curry has anything to do with its success just seems silly.

nelchaar

Well deserved. Saw it last night, the theatre was packed. The movie is so freaking good and very well done. Felts like a Stephen King Stranger Things!

That's like saying Mark Hamill deserves some change for every Joker interpretation in TV, movies, comics, games, etc.

Not really, and Cesar Romero or even Jack Nicholson would have been a better comparison in your example rather than Hamill.

Not really fair comparison either, since there's only been the book and the mini series for It instead of the vast pantheon of Batman media.

You must have never read the book

The miniseries is just plain bad, and Curry's Pennywise was never good. Seriously, I can't understand how someone can watch his scenes today and think his Pennywise is remotely scary. It really seems like a case of rose tinted glasses; Curry stood out because he was the relatively best thing in the miniseries, and thus the best adaptation of Pennywise by virtue of being the only adaptation until now.

And he sure ain't scary to modern teens; my 15 year old brother watched Curry's scenes on Youtube a few weeks before seeing the new movie and asked me if it was meant to be a comedy

The miniseries is just plain bad, and Curry's Pennywise was never good. Seriously, I can't understand how someone can watch his scenes today and think his Pennywise is remotely scary. It really seems like a case of rose tinted glasses; he stood out because he was the relatively best thing in the miniseries, and thus the best adaptation of Pennywise by virtue of being the only adaptation.

Never read the book, was about to but then I heard about that one chapter and found it off-putting so I never did.

And yeah I stated that the mini series doesn't hold up.

When you're a kid plenty of dumb shit scares you and when you look back you can't believe it ever did. But it still did.

That's the thing about fear, it's not logical.

Regarding your edit: well yeah a teenager is going to think it's funny and campy, but a child?

Not really, and Cesar Romero or even Jack Nicholson would have been a better comparison in your example rather than Hamill.

Not really fair comparison either, since there's only been the book and the mini series for It instead of the vast pantheon of Batman media.

Curry gets money every time his version of IT is played on TV. The movie's version is nowhere near based off of Curry's version.

Phased

The miniseries is just plain bad, and Curry's Pennywise was never good. Seriously, I can't understand how someone can watch his scenes today and think his Pennywise is remotely scary. It really seems like a case of rose tinted glasses; Curry stood out because he was the relatively best thing in the miniseries, and thus the best adaptation of Pennywise by virtue of being the only adaptation until now.

And he sure ain't scary to modern teens; my 15 year old brother watched Curry's scenes on Youtube a few weeks before seeing the new movie and asked me if it was meant to be a comedy

A lot of people saw IT when they were younger, I did, and that's why I always thought it was scary. Re watching it as an adult definitely shattered that illusion and even his performance hasn't held up very well.

I remember the sewer scene messing me up as a kid and watching it now it was pretty silly.

Boke1879

Why in God's name should Curry get money for a movie had a fuck all to do with? He didn't create Pennywise.

You're pretty much saying Jack Nicholson should have gotten royalties for The Dark Knight then.

dlauv

I watched the original IT last night since the theaters were too packed.

Curry isn't that great in it tbh, but he's easily the best thing about it.

If Frank N Furter can be compared to Jack Sparrow, then Pennywise is the Mad Hatter.

I_D

I haven't seen the movie yet, but my girlfriend did.

She's a complete pansy when it comes to movies. She wouldn't talk to me for DAYS after watching Oldboy, and she screamed audibly multiple times while watching [REC].

She said this new IT movie is "Absolutely hilarious" and "Eh, I guess it could be scary for children."

Tell me she's wrong, and just wasn't paying attention. Is the movie more of a comedy? Is it scary at all?

I haven't seen the movie yet, but my girlfriend did.

She's a complete pansy when it comes to movies. She wouldn't talk to me for DAYS after watching Oldboy, and she screamed audibly multiple times while watching [REC].

She said this new IT movie is "Absolutely hilarious" and "Eh, I guess it could be scary for children."

Tell me she's wrong, and just wasn't paying attention. Is the movie more of a comedy? Is it scary at all?
It has comedy throughout but it isn't a comedy. What is scary will vary from person to person. I already go the crap scared out of me as kid when I watched IT so this didn't scare me at all. I just watched for nostalgia reasons and to see how they would present IT to a new era. With that being said, it is pretty creepy and I can understand why someone would be scared of what was shown.

Kevin

It has comedy throughout but it isn't a comedy. What is scary will vary from person to person. I already go the crap scared out of me as kid when I watched IT so this didn't scare me at all. I just watched for nostalgia reasons and to see how they would present IT to a new era. With that being said, it is pretty creepy and I can understand why someone would be scared of what was shown.

As a huge fan of the 90s IT, how does this new one fair in comparison?

Just got out. Lives up to the hype, feeling seemed mutual as a lot of people were clapping at the end. been awhile since I seen a good mainstream monster movie like this.

People for some reason brought their kids who could be heard screaming every time Pennywise showed up.

Especially as the headless phantom and the giant projection.

After awhile, it got hard to tell whether it was coming from the kids in the film or the audience.

Guess if they were traumatized by Tim Curry as a kid, it only felt right that they pass it on with Bill Skarsgard.

The clapping and screaming really elevated the film, imo. Loved every second of it.

kswiston

Someone with access to theatre ticket sales data on the Box Office Theory forums is suggesting that IT's Saturday will be in the $44M range.

With that sort of Saturday, IT could break $125M this weekend.

DuffDry

If you dig what you've seen in the film, I highly recommend you check out the book. Really displays the best sides to King. IT can be both horrifying and beautiful in the span of 15 pages.

GhaleonEB

If you dig what you've seen in the film, I highly recommend you check out the book. Really displays the best sides to King. IT can be both horrifying and beautiful in the span of 15 pages.

And sometimes at the same time.
Georgie's dead eyes filling with water as he lays on his back in the rain.

Kaswa101

Bit of a weird question, but how gory is this movie? I'm more into psychological horror than gory horror (like TWD, for example), so would I enjoy this?

The hype is getting to me. :(

Bit of a weird question, but how gory is this movie? I'm more into psychological horror than gory horror (like TWD, for example), so would I enjoy this?

There's a few scenes of extreme gore but they go by really fast. It's pretty tastefully done.

I'd say the psychological aspect is far more prominent than the blood and guts.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth

The "goriest" thing for me is one instance of orthopedic injury. I didn't think the blood and guts was extreme at all.

Top Bottom