• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It's time for Rocket League 2.

SimTourist

There is a fine line between milking sports games every year and sticking with one game for a long time, but 10 years is enough I'd say, time to bring on RL2 on Unreal 5 with some fresh graphics and game mechanics. Psyonix seem to be on cruise control for the last few years and it's time for them to flex those creative muscles again. Plus it would bring in new players and breathe a new life into the franchise which feels a bit stale at the moment.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
I can agree but also it feels like multiplayer game sequels these days just arent that good anymore.

I think we just need more new modes and maps. That would be nice.

Last edited:

AngelMuffin

This time with cigarette boats!!!
200.gif

Technically it would be the 3rd game in the franchise.

And not much changed from the first to the second. I'm not sure what else they can add to justify a 3rd

diffusionx

Gold Member
I feel like Rocket League is in that DOTA mode where it’s near impossible to find new players because the skill ceiling is so high, lot of players are hostile to newbies, and everyone gets mad whenever the dev changes anything.

A sequel isn’t going to change that, the game is what it is at this point.

But how would I show off my beta antenna topper, being one of the OGs is prestigious in that game.
Holy crap I spelled antenna and prestigious right the first try . . . i'm normally terrible at spelling.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Nah they can just push an update to UE5 and drop support for Switch, Xbox One and PS4.

I have concerns re: Psyonix. 10 years is a long time and the game has sort of just been left with no quality of life updates, no interesting playlist or seasonal updates. The challenges are the same typical slog feats. The battle pass rewards always tame and boring.

The gameplay is phenomenal but the studio seems lazy or has lost their talent. I’m not sure which.

When I say lazy, the Switch port and Xbox Series S 120hz mode looks like they run at about 540p resolution, what the hell is that about?

You’d hope they’ve been working on another zany idea in the past 10 years with tight competitive gameplay like supersonic dolphin flipping dog fuckers, but I have no faith to be honest.

ReyBrujo

Gold Member
I've never understood the charm of this game. I find it extremely repetitive and boring, basically the poor streamer's game.

Sethbacca

Honestly, just give me a ps5 native version with higher fps and resolution and I'd be happy.

On the "would be kind of fun wish list" would be a VR client to watch esports competition games from the perspective of a spectator in the stands. Would probably be cool as hell.

Banjo64

cumsessed
I've never understood the charm of this game. I find it extremely repetitive and boring, basically the poor streamer's game.
I think of it like a real sport like football, ice hockey or rugby.

Sure, it’s the same field and number of players in each game (if you so choose) but whatever plays out in those 5 minutes is completely unique.

Like all good online games, the opportunity for unscripted moments of sheer brilliance or madness are what makes it fun.

Rainbow Six Siege is 9 years old. GTA Online is 10 years old. We got Counter Strike 2 after how many years? Point is these esports games last forever as long as they keep getting updates and seasonal content. Unless they start looking like total potato mode, there is no need for sequels when you have record breaking attendance.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Good graphics are always welcome but that leaves a lot of people unable to play due to higher hardware requeriments, take that into account.

Yeah isn’t this pretty popular on Switch?

I agree with the OPs sentiment but they won’t do it for this reason

Robb

Gold Member
I wouldn’t mind. What you mention doesn’t sound like a sequel to me though.

A sequel would have to bring something new imo, not just more Rocket League as we know it currently. New gameplay mechanics etc. that change things up substantially.

Last edited:
And what exactly is a 1 trick pony going to do to justify a 2?

It's already a sequel tbf. Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket Powered Battlecars - was on ps3. A better name than rocket league too. I was top 10 in that game in 1v1s. Good times. By the time RL came out I played the alpha then was done. It is a 1 trick pony. I think a sequel is pointless. They should just do an engine change like CSGO to CS2 did or fortnite.

It's a game as a service.

A sequel would be a brand new slate for the devs to take the game in their new direction

There IS no new direction lol. This is like asking for a sequel to chess. New levels, modes, cars can all be done on rocket league.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I used to be GC in Rocket League years and years ago, but I stopped playing the last few years.

Now, everyone is so insanely good. I’m like mid Diamond now lol. People are toxic as fuck in that game, too. It’s not nearly as fun as it used to be.

Not sure a Rocket League 2 would change that, unless it was a drastic overhaul of the controls.

YCoCg

They already did do a sequel, it's in Fortnite now, that racing mode is basically Rocket League with racing and stunt modes.

Haint

Surely they haven't actually spent the last 10 years making hats, sparkles, and volleyball modes...but then again that's more than Retro Studios has done the past decade+ and Nintendo seems happy to continue bankrolling them.

Last edited:

SimTourist

That’s not really how these live service games work.

And it’s rocket league. It’s not going to change.
There are ways to improve the current mechanics, change it up, introduce something new and creative. Live service doesn't mean a game is one and done and a sequel can't be made.

Chronos24

I remember reading fairly recently somewhere that they were going to update the graphics engine. What I don't understand is how the series X version can do hdr at 120hz and look great while there is still no PS5 version that does that. If you do 120hz it goes to adr and man what a terrible difference it is.

mdkirby

Why? its a GAAS game, it just needs an upgrade to the existing game (not that ive touched it since not long after release)....But yeah this stuff should follow the Fortnite and Minecraft model, not the retarded Overwatch model.

dezzy8

There is a fine line between milking sports games every year and sticking with one game for a long time, but 10 years is enough I'd say, time to bring on RL2 on Unreal 5 with some fresh graphics and game mechanics. Psyonix seem to be on cruise control for the last few years and it's time for them to flex those creative muscles again. Plus it would bring in new players and breathe a new life into the franchise which feels a bit stale at the moment.
Nope. It won’t make sense to make a sequel. It’s almost like League of Legends making a sequel. Just update the game.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I heard they are going to make the ball square in the sequel.
Boy do I have some news for you.

Rocket League is in desperate need of a change, but I honestly don't see how they can do it. The only people who still regularly play are generally insanely good at the game, to the point where newcomers are often intimidated and discouraged to play. Hell, I've been playing the game since it released, and I still don't like coming back to it because of how much the meta has changed to arbitrary technical skills that require hundreds of hours of practicing. (Even though that's precisely what I loved about Super Smash Bros Melee, but that's also an accidentally perfect game...)

The only way they can have a successful Rocket League 2 is if they shake up the technical gameplay enough that it leaves room for newcomers and returning players to have a chance against the ultra tryhards.

Actually, speaking of Smash Bros, that would be a great way to do it. The Melee tryhards like me still play and enjoy Melee over the modern Smash Bros games, but they're still extremely successful. The core gameplay is the same game-to-game, but the technical skills you need change drastically between games. And for some people, that means they'll just stick with the older game, and that's fine. But changing up the mechanics would probably help bring more players in than the ones they'd lose.

Or maybe I'm just salty because I've played this game for 1300 hours and I still suck balls at it.

Fbh

I don't really know how you'd make a sequel.
To me the main appeal of Rocket League is the simplicity. It's basically purely skill based as the cars are mostly the same (aside from some hitbox differences) and the maps only change visually.
If they introduced cars with unique abilities, or stat affecting upgrades, or maps with hazards or different shapes (remember OG neo Tokyo?) it would kill what makes the game appealing to me

Ribi

Game is still great just give an overhaul to the graphics and better networking with a better engine. The current game can run on a toaster and that's part of its charm

AJUMP23

Parody of actual AJUMP23
Just keep updating the original. Don’t kill the golden goose by trying to create a new goose.

korea has gone back to StarCraft. StarCraft 2 is done.

Top Bottom