• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ITT, We all have to agree on a game better than Super Mario 64

Shizzlee

Super Mario Galaxy is a better game than Super Mario 64.

Nope. Galaxy 1 puts me to sleep. Galaxy 2, maybe.

Super Mario Sunshine is a better game than Super Mario 64.

Yep. Best 3D platformer. Also I don't get the people that claim SM64 and SMS have bad controls. The controls for both of them are very tight and responsive. Galaxy 1/2 and 3D Land/Word all handle for the worse to me. Galaxy 1/2 feels too slippery and floaty. 3D Land/World with their run button can fuck off. Shades of SM64DS.

Banjo Kazooie is a better game than Super Mario 64

Also yep. Gonna throw another game into the mix:

Rayman 2 is a better game than Super Mario 64.

It feels like one of those "hold my beer while I do it" moments. Sorry OP, but your thread would make sense if gaming wasn't so damn regressive.

CIV 4 (especially Beyond the Sword) is a good pick.

As weird as a strategy game comparison is, it is probably one that does make a lot of sense, since it is one of the genres that depend as much as platformers, and probably more so than platformers, on their mechanics working exactly right.

Resident Evil 4 is a better game than Super Mario 64.

A better thread would be "Name a game better than RE4." SPOILERS: There are none.

Super Mario Galaxy is a better game than Super Mario 64.

Super Mario 3DWorld is a better game than Super Mario 64

Indeed. In fact, the only 3D Mario game worse than 64 is Sunshine, which is mediocre at best. The Galaxy and 3D games outclass it by a huge margin.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yep. Best 3D platformer. Also I don't get the people that claim SM64 and SMS have bad controls.

For starters the GameCube controller isn't the greatest with its goofy layout of different button shapes/sizes. Then there's the annoying need to clean surfaces, which requires an aim that pulls the camera in way too close.

Sunshine is the absolute worst 3D Mario game.

Onivulk

Banned
World, Sunshine, Galaxy 1 and 2 if we are just talking games within the same series.

I also nominate Super Meat Boy and I agree with Rayman 2 being a better game.

Murkas

ITT:

1449787506893.png

At this point, what game isn't better than SM64!

Take the goggles off.

Mrbob

This isn't even hard....Dynasty Warriors 8 is better than Mario 64. Better graphics, better gameplay, more fun all around.

Aaron D.

I can think of many titles better than Mario 64. But that's because every genre has its top-tier standouts. Much like Mario 64 is for the 3D platformer.

Just pick any random genre and think of the best they have to offer. And there's your game that's better than Mario 64.

Some personal recent-ish hits would include;

Forza 4
Crusader Kings II
Farming Simulator 17
Doom 2016
Red Dead Redemption
GTA V
Euro Truck Simulator 2
Alien: Isolation
Pillars of Eternity
The Talos Principle
Kerbal Space Program
Gone Home
Hitman 2016
Invisible, Inc.
Stardew Valley
Civ V
XCOM: Enemy Unknown
Ori and the Blind Forest
Portal 2
Grim Fandango
Planescape: Torment

I could literally just keep going and going and going.

Mario 64 is a fine game. A landmark title, even. But it's such a small sliver of all that's on offer out there. Stands tall for what it is. But it also stands among dozens upon dozens of other giants.

i remember playing it on 64 but was never any good at it. i have the DS version and i'm not sure if it's exactly the same? might get into it and see if i do any better at it.

Yep. Best 3D platformer. Also I don't get the people that claim SM64 and SMS have bad controls. The controls for both of them are very tight and responsive. Galaxy 1/2 and 3D Land/Word all handle for the worse to me. Galaxy 1/2 feels too slippery and floaty. 3D Land/World with their run button can fuck off. Shades of SM64DS.

Sunshine has a lot of problems. Its missions are sometimes poorly thought out (did anybody enjoy pushing watermelons?). It's glitchy. The camera is terrible: It spazzes out in enclosed areas like Hotel Delphino or that infamous ferris wheel level, and makes it difficult to judge narrow landing points, like those girders in Ricco Harbor. You spend more time trudging around open fields than actually platforming. Blue coins.

I really don't see any argument for Sunshine being anything but the worst 3D Mario game.

What do you feel Crash does better then Mario 64? I'm assuming you're talking about the first Crash?

It's not about what it does better. It's just I like to play those types of game as a quick pick up and play but that doesn't work with Mario64. I'd have to play it for hours and hours to feel satisfied with my play session. I mean, I could pick up the controller and play Crash before school or before bed even for 15 minutes and I could still accomplish something and enjoy my time.

And the linear level design in Crash is amazing. I wish more games today did that. It's like a classic 2D level but in 3D wheres M64 is too open and it requires a lot navigation and running around compared to Crash. Mario has a lot of good levels but in general, I think it's too open.

I still love Mario64 and I've never enjoyed a Nintendo game more than Mario64.

I wonder, when people post hyperbolic stuff like this are they even aware they are doing it?
There's literally nothing hyperbolic about this.
I'm not a huge fan (or a fan at all really) of OoT, but it's still a really good game. The problem with it compared to SM64 is the fact that you could release that for the first time ever today and it'd still hold up fairly well. OoT wouldn't. It suffers from a lot of performance issues, and it has an overworld that is tiny in scale to what we have nowadays, and is practically devoid of anything to do/a reason for existing.

That's the main reason it isn't better than Mario 64.
Right, I've always got its impact and have an immense respect for it. The stuff I like about it is nowhere near gameplay related. The amount of idiosyncrasies in it, the bad puzzle design, awful areas like the Water Temple, etc have bugged me since I first played it in 2003 and when I replayed it on the 3DS. I won't get into the more nitpicky parts I don't like, because those extend to my view on 3D Zelda as a whole, but whereas I like Majora's Mask for its sheer creepiness Ocarina has none of that.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Super Mario 3D World isn't even really 3D, it plays more like an isometric 2D game and the controls are completely shit. Also, no camera control. You can't even look back (!). And no analog movement? You press a button to run? What year is this? This game is the most dumbed down Mario experience, after that runner game maybe.

I think i will agree with Banjo-Kazooie though. Even though i still think Mario 64 has the best controls/physics/feel, i still had more fun with B-K thanks to it's better level design, size and much better graphics.

Do you even know how platformer controls work? 3D World has mid-air turning, which no other 3D Mario game has. Just because its superficially an 8-direction movement as opposed to full analog has no bearing on how the game actually feels to control. 64 had a cool moveset but he jumps like a brick and turns too wide.

Champion's Road would be impossible with the controls of any other 3D Mario.

kc44135

On a more serious note, I think there are a lot of games I've enjoyed just as much, if not more so than Super Mario 64 (the game my avatar is from, for instance). I can't think of many that are greater than it in terms of sheer impact or innovation, though. It also holds up well, all things considered, when compared to other games at the time.

Do you even know how platformer controls work? 3D World has mid-air turning, which no other 3D Mario game has. Just because its superficially an 8-direction movement as opposed to full analog has no bearing on how the game actually feels to control.
Obviously it does.

V

Vader1

Unconfirmed Member
Having bad taste would be liking the game filled to the brim with gimmick power ups in each stage over the one focused on straight platforming. Bonus for no pointless waggle mechanics. Seriously lol @ starbits.

^^^^^^^Winner

A-V-B

How can anyone possibly agree on anything, when it comes to art, unanimously? You're asking for the impossible. And just because they can't do it, it doesn't mean Super Mario 64 is the greatest game of all time.

What an odd way to say "I like Super Mario 64 a lot."

Or really any game.

Having bad taste would be liking the game filled to the brim with gimmick power ups in each stage over the one focused on straight platforming. Bonus for no pointless waggle mechanics. Seriously lol @ starbits.
The power ups are mostly fine, it's definitely better in the second game where they're refined. Starbits are a welcome improvement in a series with terrible collectibles, and they're really inoffensive.

Galaxy also clowns 64 in straight platforming, and its level design alone is a testament of that.

MrBadger

Come on, when it comes to straight platforming, the Galaxy games are way better than Mario 64

Hylian7

Super Mario 3D World is a better game that Super Mario 64.

I had always wished Mario 64 was a game like 3D Land/World. I still enjoyed Mario 64, but wanted something like those more.

Top Bottom