• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

MrHicks

Banned
ANY way you can just play a song without is adding it to the library

i play a random one off ksdhfkjdsh.mp3 from my hardrive and now i have a fugly "ksdhfkjdsh album" in album view

if you do this a handfull of times your library has turned into a complete clusterfuck with tons of "albumized" random mp3's

can't believe this shit i might just uninstall it anyway uuugh

Artemisia

Banned

i play a random one off ksdhfkjdsh.mp3 from my hardrive and now i have a fugly "ksdhfkjdsh album" in album view

if you do this a handfull of times your library has turned into a complete clusterfuck with tons of "albumized" random mp3's

open that shit with quicktime or something.

iTunes isn't a music player in the sense that it only plays files that you tell it to. It compiles all the music on your computer and organizes it. Anything you open with it is sorted into your library.

MrHicks

Banned
open that shit with quicktime or something.

iTunes isn't a music player in the sense that it only plays files that you tell it to. It compiles all the music on your computer and organizes it. Anything you open with it is sorted into your library.

non itunes music libraries don't do this crap
now i have to use ANOTHER mp3 player for "one off" mp3's?

absolutely rediculous
back to musicbee

Ashhong

non itunes music libraries don't do this crap
now i have to use ANOTHER mp3 player for "one off" mp3's?

absolutely rediculous
back to musicbee

What? Winamp does the same thing, and anything else with a playlist I imagine. iTunes is basically 1 giant playlist.

Why dont you just delete the song from itunes after you're done listening?

MrHicks

Banned
What? Winamp does the same thing, and anything else with a playlist I imagine. iTunes is basically 1 giant playlist.

Why dont you just delete the song from itunes after you're done listening?

when i play a song in musicbee its just in the "now playing" section
i doesn't permanently (unless you manually delete) show up as an "album" fucking up your beautifully organized albums

also don't have this with mediamonkey or anything else i've tried

Ashhong

So open it in Media Player Classic or something instead then. iTunes is a media manager, not a simple player. I prefer it adding it to my iTunes library personally.

MrHicks

Banned
So open it in Media Player Classic or something instead then. iTunes is a media manager, not a simple player. I prefer it adding it to my iTunes library personally.

no
using 2 programs to play mp3's is stupid
offcourse this being apple they obviously didn't give users the option disabling auto adding to library

anayway enough of this

Chittagong

Gold Member

1. Select the file in finder
2. Hit space bar
3. ???
4. Profit*

* on mac only

surly

Banned
Yes. Switch to something else. You have several better alternatives to choose from as a Windows user, and the chances of you somehow stumbling across a piece of music management software that's worse than iTunes is highly unlikely. Adding every track you play to your library automatically with no option to disable that (assuming that is the case) is a ridiculous design choice. iTunes is the Beats headphones of music playback software.

_machine

Is there a way to speed up the mouse-wheel scrolling?

I have so many artists/albums that scrolling with the wheel is too slow, but I don't want use the dragging thingy.

LCfiner

Yes. Switch to something else. You have several better alternatives to choose from as a Windows user, and the chances of you somehow stumbling across a piece of music management software that's worse than iTunes is highly unlikely. Adding every track you play to your library automatically with no option to disable that (assuming that is the case) is a ridiculous design choice. iTunes is the Beats headphones of music playback software.

Another option is to set the default mp3 playback program in Windows to something else. something that just pays back files, loads fast and doesn't have a library.

that way, clicking an mp3 will play it but you would need to drag it into the itunes window to add it to the library.

right now, itunes is set up as the default Windows mp3 player for that poster. that's what needs to be changed.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Another option is to set the default mp3 playback program in Windows to something else. something that just pays back files, loads fast and doesn't have a library.

that way, clicking an mp3 will play it but you would need to drag it into the itunes window to add it to the library.

right now, itunes is set up as the default Windows mp3 player for that poster. that's what needs to be changed.
That's what I'd suggest too. iTunes behaving like that is probably because on OSX the library thing isn't a problem since you can press space and the audio/media file will play in finder preview mode without opening a particular application in case you only want to check it once for some reason.

Is there a way for me to search without it separating it all into separate artists? For example I search for Paul Van Dyke and it brings up all his stuff, but then Paul Van Dyke feat. (random artist) is in a separate tab

Skunkers

Sorry if this has been covered already:

I just upgraded to iTunes 11 on OS 10.6.8. Upon first launching it, I noticed the music from another user account on my computer is mixed in with mine. Can I delete it from my library without deleting it from theirs? Weird decision by Apple to pull music from all user accounts.

mrkgoo

This is what I do. Even on a mac. I set videos and mp3s and stuff to just open in QuickTime. If I want them to go to iTunes, I manually add it myself.

I get why it's annoying, I really do, but the work around is so obvious and not a problem, at least for me.

mrkgoo

Is there a way for me to search without it separating it all into separate artists? For example I search for Paul Van Dyke and it brings up all his stuff, but then Paul Van Dyke feat. (random artist) is in a separate tab

I'm not sure if its what you want, but click the arrow in the search box and there are some options that can be set. It seems turning off 'search entire library' does what a lot of people want (I think thus is the fourth time I've given more or less this exact response :p)

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah why would you ever have your default audio player be iTunes? ?:(
Use vnc, and only iTunes for you "true" catalogue. That way you won't have every audio file you've ever listened to sync to your cellphone and iCloud.

Okay, something is bothering me...mostly because I have no explanation for it.

When I'm playing a song and I press back via keyboard sometimes iTunes starts the song like 06-19 seconds into the song depending on the song. But there is no rhyme or reason why it's doing such and it bothers me.

_RT_

I'll ask this question as well, as I was getting mixed results with the previous build.

If I update information in iTunes (artist, album, album art, etc...) does it get saved to the tag? Or is it only updating in iTunes?

Windows build.

Thanks all-

LCfiner

I'll ask this question as well, as I was getting mixed results with the previous build.

If I update information in iTunes (artist, album, album art, etc...) does it get saved to the tag? Or is it only updating in iTunes?

Windows build.

Thanks all-

All the key stuff gets saved to the tag. artist, album, track number, disc number, comments, etc

Album art - if pasted in the "get info" window will be embedded. if you right click on a file in a list and select "download album art" it won't. itunes will reference an album file in another folder.

For tags like "start time" stop time" or itunes specific stuff like setting the media kind to "podcast", I'm pretty sure that stuff is itunes only

Servbot24

Banned
Haven't posted one of these yet and I thought this looked nice :p Excellent album too :)

ScreenShot2012-12-04at42207PM2.png

bridegur

iTunes 11 is absolutely terrible. Probably the worst piece of Apple software I've had to deal with. Searching is now worthless.

20cent

Banned
iTunes 11 is absolutely terrible. Probably the worst piece of Apple software I've had to deal with. Searching is now worthless.

I say iTunes 11 is the best iTunes ever released.
So who's right?

'Joke' apart, it seems that you have issues somewhere where you shouldn't have. Searching is great.

mrkgoo

I'm not sure if its related to your searching woes, but have you tried toggling OFF "search entire library" on the menu options in the searching box (little triangle)?

Number 5.

Mindwipe

No. The lack of a setting for that has pissed me off for years - I don't want every random bit of audio I download from the internet to go into iTunes.

But it was no great surprise that iTunes 11 didn't introduce it.

SteveWD40

Here's an odd one (Windows), when I start iTunes the Window is the wrong size, it doesn't fit the screen, I maximise it and it it's off the screen a little. I have to drag it around, shrink it and then re-maximize to get it to snap to fit again...

Kammie

Click on the magnifying glass and disable "Search Entire Library." Search reverts back to how it worked before. It's a little slower, but my guess is they'll optimize it eventually. (Edit: hadn't seen that mrkgoo suggested the same thing, sorry)

I've spent some time with the miniplayer, and I have to say it's great. I love being able to search for just a single song within and adding it to the play queue.

Here's an odd one (Windows), when I start iTunes the Window is the wrong size, it doesn't fit the screen, I maximise it and it it's off the screen a little. I have to drag it around, shrink it and then re-maximize to get it to snap to fit again...
I've had that happen too. Also have an issue where bringing up the program sometimes removes the maximized view I had and makes it small. Just seems like a bug.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
http://appleinsider.com/articles/12...e-song-search-in-forthcoming-itunes-11-update

Apple to restore duplicate song search in forthcoming iTunes 11 update
By AppleInsider Staff

Though the ability to identify duplicate songs has disappeared with the release of iTunes 11, Apple is said to be working on reinstitution the feature in a future update.

The departure of the duplicate song finder in iTunes 11 was noted as a "drawback" in Walt Mossberg's review of the software. But the Wall Street Journal tech columnist also noted that Apple officials indicated to him the function will "soon be restored in a minor update of the program."

In previous versions of iTunes, users were given an option called "Display Exact Duplicates." This feature would help users to clean up their music library by displaying songs that had multiple copies.

While that feature will reportedly return to iTunes 11, other functions removed from the latest update are not returning. That includes browsing album covers through the Cover Flow carousel, a feature that Apple told Mossberg was considered useful by "too few users."

Mossberg also experienced some album covers that were missing in the album view option in iTunes 11. He was told by Apple that this "rare bug" has already been solved, and will be fixed in a minor update that will arrive soon.

Apple is also said to be aware of a bug that can prevent Apple TV users from wirelessly streaming cloud-based movies to the set-top box. A fix for that issue is also said to be on its way.

iTunes 11 was released last week, bringing with it an overhauled user interface that aims to be cleaner and less cluttered than its predecessor. Despite a new look and feel, many of the features found in previous versions of iTunes remain or can be restored, such as the dedicated sidebar.

Is the duplicate song thing a bug? Half the time I'm adding a new album I noticed it added every song twice.

Maybe it is automatically scanning my HD and adding songs it finds?

LosDaddie

Banned
yeah, after using it for a few days now, I don't like it. I mainly use iTunes for DLing podcasts and backing up our iPhones & iPad.

I miss the leftside menu that showed what devices are connected to my laptop. I miss how the lefside menu showed what was DLing.

I mean, I'll work with it, but iT11 is a step back

yeah, after using it for a few days now, I don't like it. I mainly use iTunes for DLing podcasts and backing up our iPhones & iPad.

I miss the leftside menu that showed what devices are connected to my laptop. I miss how the lefside menu showed what was DLing.

Its disappointing that Apple doesn't seem like it knows a good way to deal with Podcasts.. it always feels like such an afterthought.

LevelNth

Banned
I like the update, but I have one major issue. When I've scrolled down somewhere in my library in Album view, and then switch over to the iTunes Store or one of my devices, when I switch back to my library it does not save my scrolled location, and auto scrolls back to the top.

This is infuriating and completely idiotic. Am I doing something wrong here?

Kammie

Ctrl+S brings back the sidebar.

I like the update, but I have one major issue. When I've scrolled down somewhere in my library in Album view, and then switch over to the iTunes Store or one of my devices, when I switch back to my library it does not save my scrolled location, and auto scrolls back to the top.

This is infuriating and completely idiotic. Am I doing something wrong here?
Yeah, I get the same. I submitted feedback to Apple about it. Go to Help > Provide iTunes Feedback, and report it as well! It needs to be fixed.

Is the duplicate song thing a bug? Half the time I'm adding a new album I noticed it added every song twice.

Maybe it is automatically scanning my HD and adding songs it finds?

For me that happens when I add a folder by dragging it into my library, but there's also an m3u playlist file in the folder, which adds everything again. I normally just delete the m3u file.

Kammie

btw, what are you guys complaining about in regards to downloads? I just tried downloading some podcasts. In the podcast menu I get a little pie icon showing the progress of the download, and by the search bar, there's an icon that brings up all the downloads and their progress. It's basically the same thing as before. Plus, there's a counter on the info window up top!

Why does that cloud icon next to music, movies, and tv shows on the sidebar show up after every time I quit and restart iTunes? It is linked to the preference "Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases" and I turn it off but it keeps checking itself again after every restart. I honestly don't even know wtf iTunes in the Cloud purchases is. I don't buy anything from iTunes except apps.

Why does that cloud icon next to music, movies, and tv shows on the sidebar show up after every time I quit and restart iTunes? It is linked to the preference "Show iTunes in the Cloud purchases" and I turn it off but it keeps checking itself again after every restart. I honestly don't even know wtf iTunes in the Cloud purchases is. I don't buy anything from iTunes except apps.
it's pretty self-explanatory no? Apple keeps your purchase history and lets you redownload/stream stuff you've bought.

Top Bottom