• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iTunes 11 |OT| Let me expand on that

Kurita

Too bad I don't use the Albums view but it can be quite pretty.
kkfJi.png

qtoOI.png

mrkgoo

Can someone with iTunes 11 please look in the preferences and see if there is an option to turn OFF automatic downloads of TV shows? This is the single most annoying thing about iTunes 10 is that TV subscriptions that I only ever want to watch on my Apple TV try to download on my PC every single time I open iTunes. With 10, there's only the option to turn off books/movies/music, but not TV.

There has always been a button, i think, that turns off automatic downloads from the store. Did that never do it? It did you want more granular control?

Is there any way to see what is downloading when I refresh for my podcasts? The old iTunes had a "downloading" sidebar that I could access and view all the current subscription downloads.
when you have stuff downloading a button appears in the top right with an animated blue bar. Click that button and a popup appears showing download progress for each item.

Enco

I just deleted my music library locally, and now I'm trusting completely in the cloud. Scarrrryyyy. o.o
iTunes Match is amazing when it works.

It's a great idea that's very helpful but holy shit it's down more than any other service I use. I have a solid backup as well as the cloud because Apple can't be trusted.

Still worth the money.

Dartastic

iTunes Match is amazing when it works.

It's a great idea that's very helpful but holy shit it's down more than any other service I use. I have a solid backup as well as the cloud because Apple can't be trusted.

Still worth the money.
It seems to work way, way better in this iTunes. I have a backup on an external HD, so I'm not too worried about things but THANK YOU BASED ITUNES MATCH. I went from 3 gigs free to 95. Fucking laptops. THANK YOU CLOUD UGNGHGNBGNGNG

Appleman

It seems to work way, way better in this iTunes. I have a backup on an external HD, so I'm not too worried about things but THANK YOU BASED ITUNES MATCH. I went from 3 gigs free to 95. Fucking laptops. THANK YOU CLOUD UGNGHGNBGNGNG

Same here, really good if you used to sync with a laptop with limited storage (any of the recent flash based HDDs). I reaaaaally love iTunes match

This thing makes finding which podcast i want to listen to so much harder. Give me an icon view where i can see all of them. I dont want this list shit. Between this and ios maps. Apple has been fucking up programs more often than usual.

Toki767

I just installed this on Saturday and I really regret it. The UI is not intuitive. I had to spend 10 minutes trying to figure out how to add a podcast to my iPod Touch because I don't set it to sync. So now I need to go through a few more steps to manually add things instead of the tried and true drag and drop.

Now I know how iOS 6 Maps users feel.

This new iTunes sucks hard.

Every morning when I wake up, I turn on my laptop and iTunes and refresh all my podcasts(~15 or so) to download any new episodes. Then when I am getting dressed, I set my iPod to sync with my iTunes so I can get all the new episodes ready to listen to at work. I have 8 1/2 hours I can listen to whatever I want, so any new podcasts kills time nicely and quickly.

Well, this morning, iTunes decides to just crash. Not once, but four times when trying to sync. Twice I got an error that said they could not find sync information and just froze so I had to task manager end the program and restart it. The other two times it just froze on "making backup" or whatever step two is, and when I would try to do anything it would just crash. No new podcasts for work today. I was lucky I had a few old ones that I never
got around to listening to, otherwise I would have been reeeeally pissed.

Anyone else run into similar problems?

EDIT: Just happened again. Awesome.

v1oz

This is the best iTunes ever I think. iTunes was always just 'meh', in fact I never really liked iTunes, but this is step in the right direction and it also looks good. A complete overhaul like this was looong overdue. Now let's hope they re-do iPhoto.

Blergh. So many features stripped out.

What features are gone?

see5harp

I don't think a lot of features are gone, but the manner at which I used the software has changed for a lot of things. I can no longer just right click and sync my music with my phone, to get to playlists it's a longer step, I can't just drag and drop into playlists. It's not difficult after tweaking a few things and poking around, but it's obvious they have tried to clean up some of the stuff 95% of their users never even touch and I do think some things even work better like the live playlist stuff.

EDIT: power users should be syncing podcasts and music. Drag and drop is like click wheel era shit.

Koodo

Banned
I just realized something. Are album digital booklets not supported by iCloud?

Just noticed they don't sync to other devices, nor are they displayed in the Purchased list.

So far i'm liking it, but i'm having trouble with the search bar..Its obnoxious only seeing the album sort, particularly for songs I have that aren't on albums.

Is there a way to get it to default on song (list) view?

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So I've been doing a lot of music organization. I'm taking iTunes11's release as an excuse to finally properly tag my huge catalog of music.

I've started to notice a strange thing I can't quite wrap my head around.. Some albums list just the track names, while others display the artist under each individual track. Its driving me INSANE. I can't figure out why its doing it this way, I thought maybe it had something to do with certain albums featuring collaborations where one track is done by multiple artists, but the vast majority of my library doesn't have this behavior and there are LOT Of songs by multiple artists. Seriously its just this one deadmau5 cd and then this other zomby one that display the artist under each track. NOt only is it redundant it bugs the shit out of me. What is going on here??

mrkgoo

So far i'm liking it, but i'm having trouble with the search bar..Its obnoxious only seeing the album sort, particularly for songs I have that aren't on albums.

Is there a way to get it to default on song (list) view?

CLick on the arrow on teh search box to see if any of those options are to your liking, for example turn off search entire library.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
So I've been doing a lot of music organization. I'm taking iTunes11's release as an excuse to finally properly tag my huge catalog of music.

I've started to notice a strange thing I can't quite wrap my head around.. Some albums list just the track names, while others display the artist under each individual track. Its driving me INSANE. I can't figure out why its doing it this way, I thought maybe it had something to do with certain albums featuring collaborations where one track is done by multiple artists, but the vast majority of my library doesn't have this behavior and there are LOT Of songs by multiple artists. Seriously its just this one deadmau5 cd and then this other zomby one that display the artist under each track. NOt only is it redundant it bugs the shit out of me. What is going on here??

Artist vs Album Artist

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you for the response but what exactly am I supposed to do to change it so everything is normalized? I've been using musicbrainz picard to tag stuff.

mrkgoo

Huh.

Now that you made me curious, I've just noticed the same thing. Seemingly no rhyme or reason. I thought at first it might be showing something other than artist, like album artist, or shows it if it's part of a compilation, or bought from the store....but none of my albums that have the artist underneath have any unifying thing that I have found.

A mystery for the ages.

edit: It's not album artist. It always lists the artist, not album artist.

Now that I think about it, a LOT of my compilations have it. Not all. And some compilations don't.

It might just be when the album has detected multiple different artists for the one album. This would make sense - no need to show the artist if it's all the same artist, but show it if there are different songs by different artists in the one album.

edit2: Yeah, on closer inspection it looks like when you have multiple artists in teh one album

Holy crap, this interface is 100x better than the old one. I've shit on Apple for itunes design before, but this is legitimately decent.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Holy crap, this interface is 100x better than the old one. I've shit on Apple for itunes design before, but this is legitimately decent.

The new remote app for ipad is amazing as well. its soo sooo nice.
really makes you wonder what the fuck is going on with the music app for ios

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to freak out if I can't figure this out. I can't stand inconsistencies like this.

SnakeXs

about the same metal capacity as a cucumber
Thank you for the response but what exactly am I supposed to do to change it so everything is normalized? I've been using musicbrainz picard to tag stuff.

Maintain your Artist field, erase your Album Artist field except in cases where you may need it (2 different artists having an album of the same name).

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That doesn't work. It just displays the Artist underneath. Rather than the "artists featuring" etc. Now instead of deadmau5 feat sofi it just says deadmau5.

Interesting. Ok so I think you may be right, snakexs. But you have to delete the album and re-add it. Now its displaying how I like. I'm glad I"m taking this all in steps. Getting everythign just right is super overwelming.

mrkgoo

That doesn't work. It just displays the Artist underneath. Rather than the "artists featuring" etc. Now instead of deadmau5 feat sofi it just says deadmau5.

See my post above. I think it's related to when an album has multiple artists entries. When it's all the same it displays nothing. I think. It makes sense at least. I mean, you already know the artist, so no need to show it for every song, but when one or multiple songs are different....

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Oh yeah I did a ninja edit. We're ready to rock and roll over here.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
No, I think essentially you're right as well. It definitely did have something to do with multiple artists. Idk.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
It amazes me that so many people are now freaking out about duplicate artists and album screw-ups. Ive always been good about tagging my music and keeping everything clean and accurate, and I've always had this problem with iTunes. I still haven't forgiven the program for stripping away all of my Interpol tags a few years ago.

mrkgoo

No, I think essentially you're right as well. It definitely did have something to do with multiple artists. Idk.

Maybe it does it by one way, then gets overridden if you mess with album artists afterwards as well. Bah, who knows. I can't be bothered changing anything. Most of my stuff is fairly stable.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
It amazes me that so many people are now freaking out about duplicate artists and album screw-ups. Ive always been good about tagging my music and keeping everything clean and accurate, and I've always had this problem with iTunes. I still haven't forgiven the program for stripping away all of my Interpol tags a few years ago.
It's one of those things you always have the best intentions of doing, but then you let a few albms here and there slip through with some wonky data and then 7 years later your left with a mess that's impossible to work with. If I didn't get a new computer I sure as shit wouldn't be putting this Herculean effort into it. Musicbrainz Picard has been very valuable in this endeavor.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I'm sure this has been asked a million times, but is there any way to get the old standard column view back? I hate this album art view shit.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah from what I've seen the "songs" view is straight up classic iTunes.

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah from what I've seen the "songs" view is straight up classic iTunes.
Yeah, that worked. I didn't think it'd be that easy! I was searching in the advanced settings and stuff, haha.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
You should be open minded about the artist view. It's not the same thing, but it is pretty nice. I think it will be what I use from now on.. Though realistically the iPad remote is what I'll be using the majority if the time.

Leucrota

Literally half my music collection is pretty underground/indie type stuff so half the album art is missing, which makes the new UI look junky.

I guess I have reason now to listen to my library in full and get rid of stuff I have 'grown' out of.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
What I do for stuff like that is just find some pleasing generic abstract art like some fractals or water colors, etc and just assign that. It's better than the generic music note thing.. It's actually amazing apple just doesn't do that themselves.

mrkgoo

Yeah, that worked. I didn't think it'd be that easy! I was searching in the advanced settings and stuff, haha.

Each of the old view types, bar cover view, exists and has been assigned to an appropriate 'view mode', such as column list for songs, grid for album, and list with coverart for artist.

Playlist becomes a strange flexible one. It kind of makes sense in a way.

I think they should definitely change the Music app to match iTune 11's theme for albums. Here's a quick photoshop of what it could look like. My editing made it look a lot flatter than how it would actually look.

ZvPOx.jpg

10UyF.jpg

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I think they should definitely change the Music app to match iTune 11's theme for albums. Here's a quick photoshop of what it could look like. My editing made it look a lot flatter than how it would actually look.

WANT

Top Bottom