• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I've been making my way through the Ghost in the Shell franchise

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Started off with Stand Alone Complex. I'm only on about episode 20, but I thought it is really cool. My favorite episodes are when the team has to work together as a unit to crack a case. Also any Tachikoma episode. Looking forward to finishing it up and starting 2nd Gig.

Decided to watch the original movies. First movie is a literal 10/10 masterpiece. One of the best crime dramas I've seen. I've always assumed it was going to be really drool, but there is actually quite a bit of human in it to keep things chill. A nice balance between heady existential philosophy, detective work, and chill workplace humor.

Innocence was definitely good too but maybe like 7/10. Ishikawa was the MVP of that one. Surprisingly bold move with having Batou take the lead on this one. But it wasn't as visually interesting to look at compared to the first one, and philosophicially I don't think it hits as many interesting ideas either. Still really good though.

ahtlas7

This franchise is a mixed bag for me. Some movies/episodes are like 10/10 while some fall flat. The last season on Netflix, for example, I stopped watching, just didn’t like it.

I loved the show and movies for the wrong reasons, I am sure. I will say after a couple years you may experience an incredible need to rewatch 2. It still happens too, and I'm not sure it goes away. Never had that with 1. Bizarre.

I have to rewatch it all and see what my old brain thinks of it.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
This franchise is a mixed bag for me. Some movies/episodes are like 10/10 while some fall flat. The last season on Netflix, for example, I stopped watching, just didn’t like it.
The only episode I didnt like so far personally was this episode where Major dived into an internet message board to monitor a discussion about the laughing man.

I literally was just starring at the screen because the dialogue was so complicated and the ideas so difficult to digest that it was just going over my head

jason10mm

Gold Member
I feel like the most recent show got too enamored with the idea that these cyborgs could be so easily hacked on the fly to alter their vision. You'd think the cops would keep one normal eye or even just a meat partner around to prevent it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Akira is goated and Ghibli is legendary, but GITS is what I’d consider the pinnacle anime film. The imagery is haunting, and it only resonates with me more as the human population grows & tech gets better.

SAC is a fun time but I would be lying if I said the episodes didn’t go over my head sometimes. You really got to pay attention, particularly in 2nd GiG when the main plot is more complex than season 1.

NecrosaroIII

Ultimate DQ Fan
Akira is goated and Ghibli is legendary, but GITS is what I’d consider the pinnacle anime film. The imagery is haunting, and it only resonates with me more as the human population grows & tech gets better.

SAC is a fun time but I would be lying if I said the episodes didn’t go over my head sometimes. You really got to pay attention, particularly in 2nd GiG when the main plot is more complex than season 1.
Have you seen Patlabor? Definitely check it out as well.

Naked Lunch

Ghost in the Shell is as good as sci fi gets in my eyes.
Theres so much material at this point - and its so complex - that it can be revisited often and its highly rewarding picking up on things missed the first or second time around.
SAC demands your upmost attention at nearly every line of dialogue - I love that hardline detailed approach to storytelling.

Every release in the franchise is an event at this point - always cool to get just a few more nuggets about this world even after all these years.

I would highly recommended reading the original manga works of Masamune Shirow.

Last edited:

kunonabi

Haven't watched the SAC since the home video release situation is a dumpster fire but I adore the first two films.

The major’s face and overall character design is perfect in the first movie. Her chin and nose are a little big, and so she looks distinctive and fierce. In the newer stuff they have trended towards a rounded and cute anime doll aesthetic to pander to weebs I guess, it’s a travesty. Bring back old major.

Top Bottom