• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iZombie - S1 OT of Kicking Ass and Taking Brains - from the creator of Veronica Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Just finished watching. I enjoyed it, definitely will keep watching.

Aly Michalka <3

And the lead actress looks better with her white hair and skin haha

Caught the pilot on Hulu cuz I was bored. Not bad.

Then I read into how it's actually a comic and but has nothing to do with the comic because they wanted to not look like it's aping true blood. Which is ridiculous because all I could think while watching this show is how it's aping Chew.

I'd much rather have seen Chew as a series. But here's to hoping that this show's good either way.

That's coming.

LQX

Man, this is such a rip off of the "White Trash Zombie" series of books. I actually Googled to see if maybe they had changed the name for TV, it is so damn similar.

Man, this is such a rip off of the "White Trash Zombie" series of books. I actually Googled to see if maybe they had changed the name for TV, it is so damn similar.

The IZombie (2010) comic books came out a year before White Trash Zombie (2011).

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Wow, you can see the creative connection to Veronica Mars so quickly. The main actresses' look and intonation in her line-readings, the presence and character of the voiceover, the pop culture snark jokes, the moody score (immediately obvious as Josh Kramon) and dark lighting, the use of pop-culture music, the cop stuff, the teeniebopper-but-not, the music choice, the shots of her in her car, Darran Norris, the set design. The authorial voice is so clear. Wow.

BmrRmrQl.jpg

(imagine if she weren't a zombie and her skin was less light)

Pilgrimzero

The IZombie (2010) comic books came out a year before White Trash Zombie (2011).

True, but the show has more in common with White Trash Zombie than IZombie (so far with one episode in the bag).

Which mostly has to do with what they took out of IZombie (all the other supernatural stuff)

chronos86

The main girl on this show was the yellow power ranger in power rangers:rpm. Linkara who does these videos on the history of power rangers just put up videos for pr:rpm. How timely.

Penguin

I like that even in the 2nd ep there are serialized elements.

Feared from early reviews would be a straight and through procedural.

But stuff with making more zombies and the romance

Shaanyboi

Banned
Have to wait for the second episode to go up on PSN tomorrow, but I really liked the first episode. Absolutely has the Veronica Mars vibe. Very fun, very charming.

Zombine

Banned
I recorded the show tonight because I knew that Bloodborne would control my life. Can't wait to watch it tomorrow!

With that said, please everyone...consider the books. It's a small investment for one of my favorite stories ever. No, it is by no means perfect, but Allred's art is on point like usual, and Gwen is just...ugu~

izombie-panel.jpg

This show is great. I like all of the emotional voice over scenes and they're usually corny on the CW. Music is nice, too.

Her boyfriend is a terrible actor though. I hope he's gone soon.

TripOpt55

Another good episode. Happy to see this still had a good balance between serialization and procedural elements in the second episode. The case was fun and actually did a good job of keeping who did it up in the air. Liv being horny was hilarious. Especially in the interrogation room... haha. Anders' character is fun too.

Also loved when she was describing the guy and the detective asked for the color of his shirt and she said cerulean. Funny show.

wildfire

Banned
This actress makes my blood boil. When Javier's first lover grabbed Liv's hand I was hoping for a Jane the Virgin scene. That would've been hot.

It was awkward in a cool way how they just have Anders show up at the morgue and he starts making his zombie cabal. Liv is right not to trust him.

I really liked how the wove the procedural elements into the long arc of her relationship story. Overall the way her brain eating could impact her life provided an element of unpredictability to how I thought the show could develop.

Second episode was great, which is always a nice thing to see with a new show because you can never tell for sure how something will go after a pilot.

BBboy20

So, I take it they still retain body heat even when living peeps touch them.

Despite the upbeat nature, I actually hope Liv eventually ends up eating a room full of mobsters.

Wow, you can see the creative connection to Veronica Mars so quickly. The main actresses' look and intonation in her line-readings, the presence and character of the voiceover, the pop culture snark jokes, the moody score (immediately obvious as Josh Kramon) and dark lighting, the use of pop-culture music, the cop stuff, the teeniebopper-but-not, the music choice, the shots of her in her car, Darran Norris, the set design. The authorial voice is so clear. Wow.

BmrRmrQl.jpg

(imagine if she weren't a zombie and her skin was less light)
Haha, yeah i was getting MAJOR Veronica Mars vibes throughout the entire pilot. Even the narrative device of flashing back to the party on the boat felt reminiscent of the party where Veronica was raped. Seems like that night will be revisited too. It would be awesome to get this shows version of A Trip to the Dentist. :)

Blackhead

Redarse
Wait a minute, did having sex turn that rich lady into a zombie? Or is sex safe but she got a hickey or something afterwards?! How do you have seed with a dead person and not realize it anyway

Penguin

Wait a minute, did having sex turn that rich lady into a zombie? Or is sex safe but she got a hickey or something afterwards?! How do you have seed with a dead person and not realize it anyway

Seems like the idea is he turned her at some point during the night.

Double D

I like this show. Really glad I gave it a shot. If you told me a couple of years ago I would be watching 3 shows on the CW I would have laughed. But hey, here we are.

And I'm going to assume that boning turned the lady into a zombie. If that's the case, it would mean bodily fluids coming into contact. Unless they go full-on 'boning is the only way to change someone', then I'd guess scratching or biting could change them too. Didn't think they'd introduce 3 zombies by the end of the second episode so not sure how well this will pan out.

edit - and I've never even seen a clip of Veronica Mars, but reading through the thread I guess I should probably give it a shot.

Pilgrimzero

The fact that he "turned her" (especially if through sex means its a virus) throws the comic book version of zombies right out the window.

Which also effects all the other supernatural beings int he comic IZombie universe.

In the comics supernatural beings (from zombies to werebeasts to vampires etc) all have to do with an over and under soul and losing one (and/or gaining another) makes a certian Supernatual being.

So not to again nitpick, but this again completely removes something that made the comic/setting unique.

I really like the show but it's more and more divorced from the comic which means why even name it IZombie?

Double D

Haven't read the comics but that is an interesting system. So, just based off what you typed and not having any idea really how it works, is it possible that him killing the dudes in the car was a soul trade off or something? Can't even remember if he did that before or after the boning.

Not sure how spoilery this is getting (comics vs show) so if you are going to answer maybe tag it.

Seems like the idea is he turned her at some point during the night.

I think they're trying to establish the idea that any sex will turn someone into a zombie, but since Blaine actually was intending to turn her, he could have just intentionally scratched her at some point.

Pilgrimzero

Actually the more I think about it i think the comic did have one zombie turning another but it was much more mystical. Been awhile since I've read it.

The vamps did it the normal vamp way, i.e. bite and drain.

I suppose if the guy in the show bit her that would work out. If he spread it like an std then meh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom