• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iZombie - S1 OT of Kicking Ass and Taking Brains - from the creator of Veronica Mars

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was known from the jump it would have quite a bit changes from the comic...

Anyway, great episode really think I'll like this show for sure now. Had me laughing a bit last night

Haha, yeah i was getting MAJOR Veronica Mars vibes throughout the entire pilot. Even the narrative device of flashing back to the party on the boat felt reminiscent of the party where Veronica was raped. Seems like that night will be revisited too. It would be awesome to get this shows version of A Trip to the Dentist. :)

Also the narration sounds exactly like Veronica Mars, to the point where if Kristen Bell was walking past a television playing this show and not paying attention she'd be all like "Huh, when was the VM episode where I talked about eating brains?"

It's awesome.

The ratings held up: 0.7. Good enough for the CW.

Razmos

Really enjoying this so far. Episode 1 was solid, and I had no complaints about episode 2 at all.

I can't not hear Liv Moore as Live More since someone pointed it out.

Horny Liv was hilarious throughout, the idea of her personality/skills changing every episode is fun and interesting and will keep the show fresh. I wonder if there'll be an episode where she eats 2 different peoples brains and keeps switching from one to the other, that would be funny/interesting/crazy.

Ravi is totally handsome and he has such a great character; funny, intelligent. attractive, and he seems to work really well with every other character. The cop is pretty fun too.

On the other hand...
Liv's roommate is such a passive aggressive bitch. She has not had one even slightly likable moment on the show yet, and every scene she is in is bogged down in negativity. Are her and Liv supposed to be friends? because i'm not seeing it at all.

Major is a majorly boring character with probably the stupidest name in television history. Who would call their child Major? seriously. His entire role is being a satelite love interest and he's already boring me.

wildfire

Banned
That's Liv's sister you are talking about.

Major is far from boring. He's been trying to reconnect with her and once he thinks he should move on she pulls that stunt and he rightfully flips the fuck out. I'm interested in seeing how he'll handle this later on.

Pilgrimzero

In Marvel comics (I think?) there is/was a kid named "President".

Major is a pretty dumb name though. Especially his full name. I wonder why they went with Major Lilywhite anyways.

Liv Moore wants to a zombie who has to live and Major Lilywhite is the all American white guy?

Blackhead

Redarse
edit - and I've never even seen a clip of Veronica Mars, but reading through the thread I guess I should probably give it a shot.

Veronica Mars is good, if you like iZombie you'll love that show.

Party Down, if you haven't seen that, is great. A goddam classic. I can't rate it highly enough

Kevin

This show is already great. It's a shame that the ratings are already below 2 million. That's not very good for a new show. Though if it doesn't keep dropping it still has a chance at being renewed.

Horny Liv was hilarious! As someone already pointed out - that personality changing concept is genius.
I had a comic pitch I was working on that utilized something like this, there was a little more inner turmoil between the personalities though. It was a social commentary on modern anxiety and paranoia. Dr. Sam Beckett would've made it home though. Anyways, I want Rose McIver's heart to ache for me.

jwk94

So I was testing out PlayStation Vue and this show popped up on the TNT channel. I thought this was a CW exclusive?

I thought they would save the meeting of her turner for finale
Really like they went through it already
Lover her having the personality of the diseased. Its fun to watch
I find her hot being albino

Joni

Fun episode. David Anders is so out of age range for that party.

So I was testing out PlayStation Vue and this show popped up on the TNT channel. I thought this was a CW exclusive?
Maybe something to do with the local afflliate for the CW?

I had a comic pitch I was working on that utilized something like this, there was a little more inner turmoil between the personalities though. It was a social commentary on modern anxiety and paranoia. Dr. Sam Beckett would've made it home though. Anyways, I want Rose McIver's heart to ache for me.

I was waiting for this.

Great episode. Love how her personality shifted this episode, so funny. First with the model, than the model's ex. McIver is hysterical.

That ending with Major sucked though, haha.

And wow, Blaine is a douche

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I've really enjoyed what I've watched of the series so far. I hope it continues with the way the writing has been.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Oh man, that second episode was SO MUCH BETTER than the pilot. Absolutely fantastic stuff. Lots of funny quips, great timing, amusing characters and some surprisingly good acting from Rose McIver. Liv getting the hots at both guys and gals had me in stitches. That flirting with the painter's lover... guffaws.

I'm also in love with David Anders as creepy dealer Blaine DeBeers. So unpredictable and funny. His character is kind of like a postmodern Spike, but laced with MDM and bad coke. I hope they plan to keep him around for a while; I absolutely adored her interactions with Liv and that older woman at the bar. Changing the drug market trends from yayo for brains? That's a new one. The CW keeps breaking new grounds.

Wow, you can see the creative connection to Veronica Mars so quickly. The main actresses' look and intonation in her line-readings, the presence and character of the voiceover, the pop culture snark jokes, the moody score (immediately obvious as Josh Kramon) and dark lighting, the use of pop-culture music, the cop stuff, the teeniebopper-but-not, the music choice, the shots of her in her car, Darran Norris, the set design. The authorial voice is so clear. Wow.

BmrRmrQl.jpg

(imagine if she weren't a zombie and her skin was less light)

I didn't quite notice it in the pilot, but the second episode hit me right in the nose. This is the supernatural Veronica Mars sequel we never got. I love it.

Joni

I hope they plan to keep him around for a while; I absolutely adored her interactions with Liv and that older woman at the bar.
He is one of the main cast members, so he is here to stay for the season at least. And The CW likes him, he already did The Vampire Diaries and Arrow.

Philippo

Man i'm really liking this show, ep2 was as giid as 1 and even funnier.
Both
Horny-cop
Liv, new zombie guy, the other doctor and the cop are all great.

Especially Liv, the personality changes in every episode are portrayed bloody brilliantly!

I'm really enjoying the show, which is kind of weird, because I wasn't able to enjoy Veronica Mars post Season One. I even like the procedural aspect of it, especially since it comes with the fun of Liv inheriting the different personalities from the brains she eats.

Blaine reminds me of Spike, it the best possible way. Can't wait to see more of him. Ravi is awesome and Clive is entertaining too. Maybe the ex-fiance is not well developed yet, but he does seem to have a personality at least and he has a potential to be a interesting character - I'm just not buying his connection with Liv and I'm not sure how they're going to include him in the storyline.

anaron

I'm really enjoying the show, which is kind of weird, because I wasn't able to enjoy Veronica Mars post Season One. I even like the procedural aspect of it, especially since it comes with the fun of Liv inheriting the different personalities from the brains she eats.

Blaine reminds me of Spike, it the best possible way. Can't wait to see more of him. Ravi is awesome and Clive is entertaining too. Maybe the ex-fiance is not well developed yet, but he does seem to have a personality at least and he has a potential to be a interesting character - I'm just not buying his connection with Liv and I'm not sure how they're going to include him in the storyline.

ha, I've been saying from day 1 that Blaine is totally gonna the 2015 Spike equivalent. people are gonna latch on to him like crazy

mm04

Decided to give this show a shot and found that I really like it so far. Recommended it to my family yesterday.

El Topo

Let's get the negative things out first: The narration is just horrible, the case of the week is boring, the weekly new skill/persona isn't used in an interesting way and doesn't seem to have any lasting repercussions, the vision stuff isn't handled well and thus comes off as forced, some of the dialogue was so bad it made me realize there is a fate worse than death, e.g. the "Team Z" talk. I don't know, but the show just lacks the charm that might make other procedurals work, at least for now.

It's not all bad though. Rose McIver and David Anders are surprisingly entertaining, which makes up for a lot of the cringeworthy/dumb stuff, although I would've preferred if for once
Anders didn't play a scumbag
. I also have to admit that there were one or two fun scenes, such as
Liv telling the cop about the woman's soft skin

That might seem very negative, but it's enough for me to give the show another try, as there's more than enough things that might work. I think the only thing that really bothered me was some of the dialogue/narration (such as "My munchies help solving crime cases"), the rest might improve over the next few episodes.

The show is just mystifying to me. The narration is trash. Some of the dialogue is just cringe worthy. And yet the main girl is oddly alluring and the show is surprisingly super enjoyable and entertaining? It's like the show's terrible but I'm loving it?

It feels like the ultimate guilty pleasure. Two episodes in and I think I'm sold. I'm in for the rest of the season now.

3rdman

The show is just mystifying to me. The narration is trash. Some of the dialogue is just cringe worthy. And yet the main girl is oddly alluring and the show is surprisingly super enjoyable and entertaining? It's like the show's terrible but I'm loving it?

It feels like the ultimate guilty pleasure. Two episodes in and I think I'm sold. I'm in for the rest of the season now.

As others have mentioned...if you like this, go back and watch Veronica Mars. The comparisons are dead on and I'm loving it so far.

Yep, that's a Rob Thomas show. I think you either love it or hate it. He's definitely got a unique talent.

Pilgrimzero

So new episode was nifty.

Sad to see that if a zombie goes to long without food there is no going back. How did she end up down there? I bet the zombie dude put her there as an experiment.

The cold-killer attitude she got this time wasn't as neat as emotional guy last episode.

Hope this show continues to do well but i think putting it on at the same time as Shield was a mistake.

Volimar

So new episode was nifty.

Sad to see that if a zombie goes to long without food there is no going back. How did she end up down there? I bet the zombie dude put her there as an experiment.

The cold-killer attitude she got this time wasn't as neat as emotional guy last episode.

Hope this show continues to do well but i think putting it on at the same time as Shield was a mistake.

Yeah, I liked the episode, but it had fallen a bit.

Hamlet

Another good episode. Piggy and the brain love it.
Also looks like Hulu put episode 7 up accidentally, so watch out for spoilers.

Rose can give me the big Z any day.

I thought for sure when Liv ate that old ladies brain, she would turn into a cat lady.

That matrix quote in the promo. Seems like her Power Ranger training will come in handy next episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom