• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jak II Framerate

I loved Jak I's gameplay and know that Jak II adds a few other elements and ups the visual feast, but how's Jak II's framerate? Does it drop noticibly in-game (below 30 fps)? A platformer that drops below 30 is not kosher.

Luminescent said:
I loved Jak I's gameplay and know that Jak II adds a few other elements and ups the visual feast, but how's Jak II's framerate? Does it drop noticibly in-game (below 30 fps)? A platformer that drops below 30 is not kosher.

From what I remember, frame rate was perfect. The thing you'll hear about is the screen tearing.

I believe the sceen tearing is for the purpose of avoiding dramatic framrate jumps a.k.a slowdown. Any notable moments where the framerate drops below 30? If not, I'd say it is a fairly slick engine as its visuals are quite sick.

BenT

Jak II has plenty of moments of not-quite-60. It's not bad overall though.

(Frameratewise.)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I was dissapointed that Jak III demo still had screen tearing. I'm not one to get up in arms about framerate issues, but the screen tearing seemed to give me a headache.

callous

Yeah, the framerate is very decent in Jak II, but, as others have pointed out, at the expense of allowing tearing. I stopped playing the game partly because of the tearing. It makes the game world feel much less solid and therefore more difficult to believe in. At least for me.

I play many pc games with Vsync off and this produces tearing, but the fact that it allows games to feel smoother with more graded/gradual increases and decreases rather than stutters in framerate makes the penalty worthwhile. I wouldn't say it is an IQ issue, more an issue of vsync vs. no vsync.

The tearing is due to the horizontal framerate not being in sync with the horizontal refresh rate, right?

That said, as long as the game does not drop below 30 and its framerate decreases/increases incrementally, it is definitely playable imho. The tearing is something that one must get used to.

Ranger X

I prefer frameskip over tearing but whatever. sometimes it's not too bad.
In jak2 the framerate was pretty solid. Only a couple of times it went under 30 but it never really became bad for the gameplay.

The Jak3 demo seems to be rushing a little bit. It's almost never 60 fps. But the graphics are a bit better than Jak2 too. I hope the framerate will not hurt the final game.

Top Bottom