• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

James Gunn's Superman opens in one year - S-shield logo officially released

ManaByte

Gold Member
efSJPE5.jpeg

He gets it:

The logo is Alex Ross' Kingdom Come logo, which makes people believe that Gunn is building to a live action adaptation of Kingdom Come as the DCU's "Endgame"
OIP.Pt5cIArYmRmZx5h6x2tOwAAAAA

jason10mm

Gold Member
I like the color scheme. I think Kingdom Come is good too.
In Gunn we trust.

I just want a quick 3-4 films of solid action and pace, focus on the principle characters, then tap into all those TV shows to flesh out the roster. KC is yet another "flip the script" story that banks on readers being very familiar with all the backstory in order for it to really hit, but if they try to recreate it all from scratch, KNOWING they will have all these folks walk away or go bad or whatever, I don't think the writers can successfully hide their hand for long nor will audiences will buy it. We HAVE dozens of DC films in the collective memory bank already, we don't need 5 films each setting up yet another actor as superman, batman, wonder woman, etc. Just reset the backdrop, introduce the current line up, and get to it. If they think they can do another "20 films to Endgame" stunt, I gots baaaaaaad news for them.

Shit, they should just cast Starr as Homelander in lieu of Magog market it as a The Boys film, and have the Justice League show up mid reel out of the blue. THAT would put asses in seats, no question!!

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Looks great to me. Refreshing to see color back in the Superman world. I like the simplicity as well.

Snyder's version for comparison (which looks way over-designed, grimdark, and has already aged poorly IMO):

man-of-steel-logotype.jpg

Doom85

In Gunn we trust.

I just want a quick 3-4 films of solid action and pace, focus on the principle characters, then tap into all those TV shows to flesh out the roster. KC is yet another "flip the script" story that banks on readers being very familiar with all the backstory in order for it to really hit, but if they try to recreate it all from scratch, KNOWING they will have all these folks walk away or go bad or whatever, I don't think the writers can successfully hide their hand for long nor will audiences will buy it. We HAVE dozens of DC films in the collective memory bank already, we don't need 5 films each setting up yet another actor as superman, batman, wonder woman, etc. Just reset the backdrop, introduce the current line up, and get to it. If they think they can do another "20 films to Endgame" stunt, I gots baaaaaaad news for them.

Shit, they should just cast Starr as Homelander in lieu of Magog market it as a The Boys film, and have the Justice League show up mid reel out of the blue. THAT would put asses in seats, no question!!

I think you’re overthinking this. With how old the characters are in the Kingdom Come comic, they could do several Chapters (what will basically be their MCU-like Phases) and wrap it up…and then a good deal amount of years later bring a bunch of the cast back for a surprise final film: Kingdom Come. And they don’t even require a ton of them, really only Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Shazam, and Lex Luthor‘s actors as the other DC characters aren’t focused on much in the story besides them (hell, IIRC they don’t even clarify who The Flash is at this point, whether it’s Jay, Barry, Wally, or someone else). Okay, and The Spectre, but he wouldn’t even need to appear in a film prior, the movie could quickly explain who he is to non-readers.

I doubt they will “build” to Kingdom Come. Rather, by the time they could even do it, the pieces would just be there naturally and enough time will have passed since the “finale” that the movie can say, “and afterwards, Joker did this awful thing, and Magog came in, etc.

I’m sure there will be big events/villains they build to (Darkseid, Anti-Monitor, Legion of Doom, the Sinestro Corps, Trigon, etc.) but that’s fine as the prior films didn’t for any of that except some build up to Darkseid (for the new verse, I would just subtly build up Darkseid/Apokolips in the background to pay off later, but don’t waste a whole JL film on them fighting one of his minions). And there’s still a ton of characters that would need to be properly introduced who haven’t on the big screen prior: Supergirl (we’re not counting that 80’s film), the Robins and Batgirls (again, not counting those 90’s films), Green Arrow, Black Canary, Teen Titans, Zatanna, Martian Manhunter, Vixen, Atom, Booster Gold, etc. The DCEU and the Supes/Bats films prior to it did introduce viewers to a good chuck of DC’s roster but far from all of them.

But I think for the Justice League film, they probably won’t bother with a solo Flash or Aquaman project prior (but certainly Flash at least will get films after that, we haven’t even had one Flash villain yet on the big screen except Boomerang who was only in the Suicide Squads) since the audience knows them already. Superman film, Batman film, and Wonder Woman film and then boom Justice League film (with also prior to that Lanterns show setting up them, and the Authority, Supergirl, Teen Titans, and Swamp Thing movie each more focused on introducing them and expanding the world and genre possibilities).

ManaByte

Gold Member
And there’s still a ton of characters that would need to be properly introduced who haven’t on the big screen prior: Supergirl

Supergirl is in this movie.

OIP.asg96zUT5F2hv1zlmalU8gAAAA

And then they're making Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow, which is the based on the True Grit Supergirl mini-series of the same name.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I doubt they will “build” to Kingdom Come. Rather, by the time they could even do it, the pieces would just be there naturally and enough time will have passed since the “finale” that the movie can say, “and afterwards, Joker did this awful thing, and Magog came in, etc.
See, if they have ANY interest in doing KC, throwing it up as a "possible future event" is gonna color all the stuff leading up to it and it becomes more about building up the ACTORS for the audience rather than the characters. F that noise, just give us enough so we can see the new actors in their parts then get to it. I don't need to see that new supes actor age for 15 years, he can just add some grey to his hair. If he works in the role, he works.

The real hurdle for KC as I see it is a legit reason for so many of the JL to step away to let Magog in as any kind of hero in the first place. It echoes the silly bit of Dark Knight Rises where Batman kinda only worked for a year before hanging up the cape. As a comic set-up its ok, but for a film I think a rival concurent hero who "falls to the dark side" if you will, is a better choice. Of course the writers are gonna have to consciously struggle with any TDS to avoid The Boys pitfall where it just becomes a Trump analogy again.

Trilobit

efSJPE5.jpeg

The logo is Alex Ross' Kingdom Come logo, which makes people believe that Gunn is building to a live action adaptation of Kingdom Come as the DCU's "Endgame"
OIP.Pt5cIArYmRmZx5h6x2tOwAAAAA

I really like the S. Separates it clearly from Snyderverse too.

But if they're going to make Corenswet look older later on then I hope they don't hire whoever was responsible for this old-person makeup in The Acolyte:

8etLYwE.jpeg

Looks great to me. Refreshing to see color back in the Superman world. I like the simplicity as well.

Snyder's version for comparison (which looks way over-designed, grimdark, and has already aged poorly IMO):

man-of-steel-logotype.jpg

Yeah, I love the color too. I hope we get something that feels inspiring and uplifting and not filled with depressive moments.

Though the suit itself looks like it belongs two decades behind the Cavill-suit.

Doom85

And then they're making Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow, which is the based on the True Grit Supergirl mini-series of the same name.

I know, hence why I said she needs to be introduced properly which they’re doing. And the Woman of Tomorrow comic slaps, just a solid sci-fi journey through the galaxy, with it being only 8 issues long they could probably cover most of the comic in the film without omitting much.

Also wow, that photo. The Supergirl in The Flash was quite attractive, and so is this new actress. The new Diana will have her work cut out for her, LOL.

calistan

It's not an 'S' it's a symbol that means 'Hope' in kriptonian.
It's an S that they've stylised so much that they been forced to retcon it. Kind of like how the Batman logo isn't a bat, it's part of the Wayne family crest symbolising strength.

Doom85

See, if they have ANY interest in doing KC, throwing it up as a "possible future event" is gonna color all the stuff leading up to it and it becomes more about building up the ACTORS for the audience rather than the characters. F that noise, just give us enough so we can see the new actors in their parts then get to it. I don't need to see that new supes actor age for 15 years, he can just add some grey to his hair. If he works in the role, he works.

The real hurdle for KC as I see it is a legit reason for so many of the JL to step away to let Magog in as any kind of hero in the first place. It echoes the silly bit of Dark Knight Rises where Batman kinda only worked for a year before hanging up the cape. As a comic set-up its ok, but for a film I think a rival concurent hero who "falls to the dark side" if you will, is a better choice. Of course the writers are gonna have to consciously struggle with any TDS to avoid The Boys pitfall where it just becomes a Trump analogy again.

Eh, disagree. There’s so much they can do with DC that rushing to Kingdom Come would be a major no thanks for me. It’s a fun “oh, maybe we could do that film someday”, but it would be beyond lame to rapidly go, “and now they’re all old as fuck and we’ve severely limited the possibilities of films past this” when the actors are still in their 30’s-40’s.

Kingdom Come should be that (hopefully) enjoyable reunion film FAR past the main movie verse’s “conclusion”. But it shouldn’t affect the main story of the verse. The comic story makes sense, there was a massive time gap, during which Joker took things too far even for his usual shtick, Magog emerged as the new hotness that the general public approved of in terms of his methods, and so forth. That doesn’t require prior films to set up at all.

But yeah, I do not want everything to come to an end prematurely just to rush to KC. That would be if we had gotten only 10 episodes of Batman TAS and Superman TAS, a few episodes of Justice League, and then Timm and Dini went, “and that’s all you get, because we want to hurry up and do Batman Beyond because we’re impatient!” Ugh, fuck that.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I hope it's something more inspiring too. I'm kinda done with anti-heroes and shit, maybe it somehow effected the world. in 2000s we had a clear cut good vs evil, now it seems like we need layers. we don't.

I just hope there aren't going to be Gunn jokes, his humor is meh.

simpatico

Sticking with the tried and true "it is impossible to make a good Superman movie or video game".

One of the most undefeated statements in modern pop culture. The character just doesn't translate to anything beyond comic books.

Doom85

Sticking with the tried and true "it is impossible to make a good Superman movie or video game".

One of the most undefeated statements in modern pop culture. The character just doesn't translate to anything beyond comic books.

Superman 1978 (and to a lesser extent Superman 2), Superman The Animated Series, Superman vs. the Elite, and (to a lesser extent) Man of Steel exist in this reality last time I checked.

I hope it's something more inspiring too. I'm kinda done with anti-heroes and shit, maybe it somehow effected the world. in 2000s we had a clear cut good vs evil, now it seems like we need layers. we don't.

I just hope there aren't going to be Gunn jokes, his humor is meh.

I think the plot will be Superman inspiring some of the other heroes like Guy Gardener and Hawkgirl to help others because it’s the right thing to do as opposed to financial gain and fame. This angers Lex Luthor who was working with those heroes with the side benefit of making his public image look good to draw attention away from his secret illegal business practices, so once he realizes Superman can’t be swayed by money but is actually making the heroes into true heroes, Luthor will team up with whoever the other villain of the film will be to put a stop to Superman and his inspiring heroics.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They should just have let Snyder adapt Dark Knight Returns like he wanted to.

Far easier adaptation than Watchmen and the tone of the Miller books is exactly suited to his worldview.

The way supes is treated in DKR is perfect because he's simultaneously at his most all-powerful and most vulnerable.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
I thought Gunn shot down the Millie Alcock rumors. Of course he could have just been lying to avoid spoilers.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Nevermind ... I got the title mixed up because of the word "New"

THIS is what I meant they seem to be working towards (with obvious changes)

MeoGrLM.jpeg

Doom85

Nevermind ... I got the title mixed up because of the word "New"

THIS is what I meant they seem to be working towards (with obvious changes)

MeoGrLM.jpeg

It would be hard in so many ways to even get close to resembling New Frontier with what we know of this verse so far.

-obviously the 30’s-50’s time period wouldn’t be there
-Batman is shown to realize he isn’t just scaring criminals but also innocents which motivates him to recruit Dick Grayson in NF, while Brave and the Bold has Damien already joining him and presumably the prior Robins and others already exist
-Hal Jordan is non-powered for most of NF and only gains his ring in the final act, but with the Lanterns show he’ll already be a Green Lantern, also Guy and John are also already GLs. I guess you could intro Kyle instead, but again Hal’s job as a pilot is highly relevant in NF but Kyle is an artist so that would be vastly different yet again
-there are real world events that factor into the plot like the Korean War, the Second Red Scare, and the Space Race, I guess they could replace them with fictional versions but that feels like a lesser imitation then
-the comic covers a lot of different POVs, some generally on their own apart from the main heroes. A live action JL film that needs to focus on the League forming and facing whoever the villain is probably can‘t afford time for other separate character stories from the comic such as Steel, Challengers of the Unknown, King Faraday, etc.

Not to mention it was already adapted very well, sure the animated film had to cut a good deal, but was overall a very satisfying film. A live action film that changes far more and doesn’t even have the time period or the historical parallels, that just feels like “why bother?”

Don‘t get me wrong, New Frontier is my favorite DC comic period (followed by All Star Superman and Batman: The Long Halloween), I just don’t see it working in this verse for the most part. You could take specific pieces like how they introduce Martian Manhunter, but the majority of it I don’t see it being adapted or utilized.

Sorry to be negative, I think people are just assuming what Gunn is getting at when he brings up NF. I think the general optimism of the comic story will be present in this verse (with some exceptions, like Swamp Thing being horror) and maybe specific elements like Martian Manhunter’s intro, but I highly doubt the first JL film of this verse will resemble NF much. It’s like how this Superman movie is inspired by All Star Superman, but the plot will most likely be mostly if not completely different. Supergirl Woman of Tomorrow on the other hand was stated to be “taking the comic and turning it into a movie” which suggests a far closer adaption, and Gunn stating Brave and the Bold is based on Grant Morrison’s run also suggests it will be closer too though probably not as much as Supergirl given how lengthy, dense, and sometimes trippy Morrison’s run was whereas Woman of Tomorrow was a more straightforward 8-issue miniseries.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I thought Gunn shot down the Millie Alcock rumors. Of course he could have just been lying to avoid spoilers.

No he shot down some nobody claiming she was in Cleaveland. She was cast while they were filming in Atlanta.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I kinda think it looks like a steel girder with the sun behind it creating a silhouette.

Like 'Man of Steel' and the source of his power?

FunkMiller

Sticking my neck here and saying that this will do better than every Marvel movie next year.

I think Gunn gets it, and gets what the audience wants from Superman. Marvel's 2025 roster looks uninspired, and this Superman is clear from the stank of the DCEU, and is looking to be very kid friendly. $$$

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I’ve seen all the superman movies so I’ll see this but I still superman returns is the best one. Brandon did a great job in that movie. I’m sure few agree.

Power Pro

Not saying this one is unattractive, but man would I love to see more of this Supergirl...She was a good part of The Flash, and well..she was hot as fuck

DCGw63f.jpeg

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I’ve seen all the superman movies so I’ll see this but I still superman returns is the best one. Brandon did a great job in that movie. I’m sure few agree.

That film was shit.

Lex's evil plan was so nonsensical that it wasn't even funny. The writers must have been on crack on a very tight deadline.

Oh, and the suit is awful.

Not a fan.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That film was shit.

Lex's evil plan was so nonsensical that it wasn't even funny. The writers must have been on crack on a very tight deadline.

Oh, and the suit is awful.

Not a fan.

It was just a modern rehash of the first Superman movie where it's another Lex real estate scheme.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
It was just a modern rehash of the first Superman movie where it's another Lex real estate scheme.

That may be the case, but it's such a poor idea that I still have no idea why they decided to rehash it.

I have no issue with Lex Luthor. I think he's a great villain, but that plan was so fucking dumb. They could have come up with something better than that.

Top Bottom