• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

At the risk of being disrespectful, one has Liquid Snake's coat (good), the other is wearing Grandma's old curtains (not so good).

I don't think bedazzling things was around back then. These men did the job with what they could.

39933_148323595193423_100000473492929_387388_1947805_n.jpg

Linkified

Actually finished those TNA British find a star shows...I'll say this best TNA shows I've watched for a while....

....and the guy they go for is incredible...

Actually finished those TNA British find a star shows...I'll say this best TNA shows I've watched for a while....

....and the guy they go for is incredible...

I only watched the final show, but it was pretty fun - really enjoyed the Spud vs Marty match, and the format of the show was good. I liked how they had TNA talent watching the matches and commenting on the wrestlers, Tazz & Kurt in particular did a good job of putting them over.
Not surprised they went with Spud though

Linkified

I only watched the final show, but it was pretty fun - really enjoyed the Spud vs Marty match, and the format of the show was good. I liked how they had TNA talent watching the matches and commenting on the wrestlers, Tazz & Kurt in particular did a good job of putting them over.
Not surprised they went with Spud though

Bully put over Spud huge in the first or second episode...and Spud is basically what the JoMo character should of been...I'm also surprised thy can afford to give him a Bon Jovi song... this is what the Gut Check should of been...

Man kudos for Jake Roberts. He has really put some effort into it, and the fans have been more than receptive in return. Is DDP still doing some side work with WWE. Regardless, Jake should def get a HOF spot + wwe bio vid next year if he keeps it up. DDP def. has a challenge ahead of him with Scott Hall, but man it would be great to see Scott finally sober up.

EMBee99

all that he wants is another baby
Yeah, I mean Chuck doesn't have the look to get regularly booked in a place like ROH, and has even less chance in TNA & WWE. As you say, it's a shame, as he's got a great mind for wrestling, understands how to properly pace a match and connects with the crowd really well, but his character just isn't suited to being booked seriously. Personally, I'd like to see him reinvent himself like Jimmy Jacobs did with the Age of the Fall. Chuck as the mastermind leader of a serious heel stable would be good to see.

I kind of disagree with this only because of some of the recent pickups WWE has made. I mean, would you have thought Generico would have been in developmental based on his character a few years back? Or PAC? Taylor may not be ready now, but a year or two and we'll probably see him in WWE.

Also, I'm kinda new around these parts, but have been lurking/light posting here and there. Having now moved to Austin (and reading ACW updates here) and watching more and more indie work alongside my old Japan tapes, my love for this industry has returned. (Shakes hands, goes to carry a ring post)

I'll dig up a Kane moment to digitize and gif soon. Looking forward to the Rumble as well, if only for surprise entrants.

strobogo

Banned
wcw2000.tumblr.com

WCW Thunder 8/16/2000

TO THE BACK. Nash is getting some water when Rick Steiner says that Scott should be the number one contender. Nash offers Rick a match and if Rick wins, Scott can be the number one contender. The Canadian secret service accompanies Team Canada in their limo. Cat and Ms. Jones confronts them and books them in a match against the MIA. Pierre totally has fat kid shorts on and adjust his shirt like the fat guy who broke the plastic chair. What I'm saying is HE'S FAT!

vlcsnap-2013-01-26-08h00m00s134_zps2a9c6105.png

Kronik vs Four Jobbers

Crush has a what feels like an hour long promo before the match. They say they will beat their four opponents in under 2 minutes. One dude I thought was Chris Daniels cosplaying as Scotty Too Hottie. And another who kind looked like Vic Grimes and Supreme. And then a guy in the most unflattering purple tights imaginable. Kronik win with 17 seconds left on the clock. The Harris Brothers cut an awful promo on the ThunderVision and ride away into the sunset. I wish it had been forever, but I'm not that lucky.

vlcsnap-2013-01-26-08h06m22s75_zps4ab33682.png

Show run down. MIA vs Team Canada, a one on one interview with Jeff Jarrett, Nash vs Rick Steiner for the number on contendership, the Filthy Animals will defend their titles, and the match of the Millennium: Mean Gene vs Mark Madden.

TO THE BACK. Mike Sanders talks to the Filthy Animals about how he went to the Power Plant with the NBT guys. He wants to join a group. Konnan isn't into it. Vampiro is mad and throws a shovel through a bathroom stall. Muta makes a bunch of weird Muta noises.

David Flair has come to the ring. He's very excited and brings Stacy Kiebler to the ring. David is about to ask Stacy to marry him with the MIA hit the ring to interrupt. What. They hold her in the corner while AWOL beats the shit out of David. I guess this is pay back for what he did to Gunns on Nitro. Stacy didn't even seem to care very much. But she did dig in his pocket to take the ring and walked off.

vlcsnap-2013-01-26-08h11m15s232_zpscceb32db.png

TO THE BACK. Paula is with the MIA. Yes, it was revenge for Gunns. Hugh compares Team Canada to gremlins after midnight. Hugh is still wearing his FUBAR shirt. Bischoff hasn't even been in the company for two months. Crowbar checks on Daffney to make sure she's okay. She's over David, but someone has delivered chocolates to her.

The Filthy Animals vs Jindrak/O'Haire WCW Tag Team Championships

Tony calls Mike Sanders "Mark" Sanders. Mike Sanders might be lamer than Disco. Konnan and Stevie Ray on color. Crazy double hip toss to Juvi. Tygress joins the booth. 5 person announce team. WCW really loved having tons of people at the booth every show. I'm not sure I've seen a show that didn't have at least one match with a guest commentator. And that is in addition to the 3 man team. Seanton Bomb, but Disco distract the ref. Mike Sanders pepper sprays him and Konnan. The Natural Born Thrillers attack. Well, they aren't officially the NBT yet. And Meat wasn't there.

vlcsnap-2013-01-26-08h24m13s79_zpsd7c780ed.png

vlcsnap-2013-01-26-08h24m15s99_zpsa3f732be.png

TO THE BACK
. Gene asks Norman for some tips. Norman wants out of the hardcore division, but he'll give Gene some tips. Gene is thinking a pile driver or frankensteiner. 3 Count is practicing their new song. Tank comes in listening to the new song and thinks it sucks. They need to get back in the studio.

The Demon vs The Great Muta

Where did Muta's awesome entrance gear go? He was wearing it in the back when he was making weird Muta sounds. Tenay says that Muta has been successful "here in the States". They show was in Canada. Demon's cod piece is excellent. Vampiro walks down while Demon is in a half crab. Muta hits Demon with the kendo stick right in front of the ref. The ref actually bumped into it. Then Muta throws it over the top rope while the ref is looking right at him. "The ref didn't see it." Stevie Ray knows that's bullshit and questions it a few times. Muta gets out of the Love Gun with the green mist. Stevie Ray calls the cobra clutch as the Japanese name, which stuns Tony. Moonsault for the win. After the match, Vamp beats on Demon while Muta tries to eat one of the ropes. Vamp says he's got big plans for Sting at Fall Brawl.

vlcsnap-2013-01-26-08h33m11s21_zpsb86b8bae.png

TO THE BACK. Someone is knocking on Rick's door. Apparently someone is teasing him. Paula is with Mark Madden. If you speed up Mark Madden just slightly, he sounds and looks just like Comic Book Guy.

Team Canada vs MIA

I like Stevie shitting constantly on everyone. He's like the black and awesome Michael Cole. Lance makes Hugh tap out to the Maple Leaf. Post match, Lance won't release the hold while the crowd cheers him on. Cat comes down with a chair to break it up, but Lance lets go before he can use it. Lance ambushes Cat as soon as he turns around.

Cat is still in the ring. He challenges Lance to a match right now. Lance agrees, but only if Cat puts up his commissionership. Cat agrees and bans Team Canada from the ring.

Lance Storm vs The Cat Canadian Championship/Commissionership

This sounds like booking yourself into a corner. Cat hits the Feliner. The ref makes an extremely slow count because Pierre completely missed his cue to break up the pin. DQ win for Cat in about 2 minutes. Cat says he's going to get Lance on Nitro.

TO THE BACK. Paula is with Rick Steiner. A piece of the set falls down and Rick freaks out at the crew.

Mark Madden vs Mean Gene Okerlund Street Fight

"Hold up there, Big Man. We've got a very short evening ahead of us, so you can BLOW IT OUT YOUR ASS!" Gene calls for a pose down. Then he calls for Mark to take his shirt off. Forearm shiver sends Madden down. Madden is fighting in Gene's guard. He's got a rape choke!

vlcsnap-2013-01-26-08h55m13s237_zps7961aaaa.png

If Madden can pass guard, there is a good chance he could finish this in the first round. He has a perfect opportunity to reign down some hammer fists. Who trained this guy? Greg Jackson wouldn't stand for that shit. Maybe he was injured during the training camp and it is leaving him a bit tentative in the ring? Gene looks to be bidding his time and looking for an opportunity for a triangle or gogoplata. Norman comes out, but Pierre takes him out. Vito makes a save. Big right hand. HE ROCKED HIM! Madden recovered, but he's weary. Madden is going for a Vader Bomb. Paula Poundstone rolls Gene out of the way and punches Madden in the dick. Gene wins. AND IT IS ALLLLLL OVERRRR! Fucking WCW. Gene is totally drilling that YAK.

TO THE BACK. Vito talks to the Cat and wants a match with Pierre.

TO THE INTERVIEW.

vlcsnap-2013-01-26-08h59m24s193_zps2516f894.png

Tony interviewed Jeff Jarrett on a beach. Jeff talks about the change of wrestling over the past 10 years. He laments the death of the territories and how the young guys don't really get a chance to learn how to work. Tony actually says "work rate". Tony asks if Jeff feels leaving the WWF at the start of their prosperity was the right decision. The start? October 1999 was the start of WWF's prosperity? Lol. Tony says that Jeff vs Booker at NBR was the match of the year. Jeff says it wasn't, nor was it the best match in his career. This was weird. It was about how Jeff thinks the company should be run and how the constant regime changes are killing the company, but they're finally on the right track. Much less shooty and annoying than the previous Thunder interviews.

TO THE BACK. Kidman thanks Vito for saving him over and over since Billy is a creepy cunt who keeps sticking his giant nose into places where it doesn't belong. I can say he has a giant nose because I'm a Jew, too. SUCK IT KIDMAN. Alevai eize kelev ya'anos et ima shelha ve otha gam!

Carl Outlette vs Big Vito

Carl has such a weird body. Actually, so does Vito. But nowhere near the oddness of Pierre. I think the weird Sabu genie pants he wore made him look shorter and fatter. They just throw bombs on each other for 2-3 minutes and Vito hits his spinning DDT for the win. Poor Carl. They bring him in to be in Team Canada only to have him lose his title in the first defense, mess up his intro, he misses his cue during his run in, and then loses to Vito in 2 minutes. Why even bother to bring him in? It's been two shows and he's clearly a joke. Reno comes to the ring and fights with Vito. The ref stays in the ring and this is now a match I think.

Vito vs Reno?

Maybe. Reno rolls the dice. He gets a chair and Kidman flies down to drop kick it. Now they brawl. "Suckas gots ta know, leave those women alone!" The rest of the NBT hit the ring and Kidman fights them off on his own until they gang up on him. The Filthy Animals hit the ring. The ref is STILL in the ring, the bell hasn't been signaled, no announcement of a winner or loser has been made. Kidman, the Animals, and Vito stand tall. But then the rest of Team Canada also come to ringside. WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON?!?! Mike Awesome hits the ring. The ref is still in the ring. After the break, the groups are still out and there was a stand off on heel and face lines. I guess the Animals are faces?

vlcsnap-2013-01-26-09h16m08s248_zps7aca05ff.png

TO THE BACK.
Rick Steiner is on the phone when Goldberg attacks him with a pipe. Stevie Ray was trying to find out what is going to happen with Rick as he was loaded into the ambulance.

vlcsnap-2013-01-26-09h19m45s93_zpsf34191f5.png

Kevin Nash comes to the ring. His hair is particularly luxurious tonight. God damn. Big Sexy, indeed. Nash says he's the next champ, which brings out Booker. I saw The Outsiders vs Harlem Heat at a house show in 1996. Booker was fucking hilarious. Since it was in Central Indiana, Heat were the heels and Book stooged around as good as anyone ever. It was awesome. The have a respectful talk and a handshake. But then Nash SWERVES Booker and lays him out. Nash hits the jackknife and stands over the champ to end the show.

The Hart Legacy Wrestling promotion which ran its first show last weekend is off to a great start, already screwing its workers out of pay;

The Hart Legacy Wrestling promotion in Calgary held its first event on 1/18 with a show titled Resurrection at the Victoria Pavilion, in Calgary, Alberta.

The sold out crowd at the Pavilion however was not aware what was going behind the scenes as during the intermission, the staff was informed that they would not be able to get paid that day.

After the show was over, the promoter, John Oniston, held a meeting and asked for everyone’s forgiveness and promised to pay with a $100 bonus on top of what everyone was owed by 1/22. That date passed and the talent and staff has still not been paid. We've heard from some talents that they were instead informed they would be paid next week.

Jackson was one of the members of the broadcast team who called the action during the inaugural event but has since resigned from the promotion and has claimed he will not be associated with Hart Legacy Wrestling any further due to what happened.

“I wanna give kudos to the guys that went out in the main event and risked their lives to perform knowing that a payday would not be given at the end of the night and to Pete Wilson who was rushed to the ER after suffering a shoulder injury and who may not work for a while as a result,” Jackson wrote in his email.

“Most of the talent work other jobs and a fair number of them took a day off to be a part of the show, myself included. Some even paid out of their pocket last minute for show necessities and of course were not reimbursed,” he added.

Jackson offered his apologies to the crowd who attended the show, saying that they all did their part and it’s a pity that they were led to believe that a new wrestling promotion out of Calgary could work.

“I find it disgusting that the Hart name is associated with this and it appears that stiffing your talent will be what Hart Legacy Wrestling leaves in its wake,” Jackson continued.

“HLW paid with broken promises. I only hope that those owed money get what they have coming to them, and to Stacy Angel and John Oniston, I really hope you get what’s coming to you.”

Jackson noted that none of the staff and wrestlers – except those who were paid beforehand – were given a cent for all their work and yesterday everyone was given another excuse saying that they would be getting paid the week after.

There have been no accusations that any member of the Hart family have been involved in the issues.

In other news, the wrestlers who left NOAH after Kobashi was fired have wound up in All Japan Pro-Wrestling;

ibcf3Uzm6yRX02.jpg

Jun Akiyama, Go Shiozaki, Kotaro Suzuki, Atsushi Aoki & Yoshinobu Kanemaru will form a faction named BURNING in honour of Kobashi, and all 5 should be free to perform at Kobashi's May 5th retirement show 'FINAL BURNING in Budokan'.

Ric Flair pulled out of the AJPW with a suspected blood clot in his leg, so his son Reid wrestled in his place, teaming with Keiji Mutoh in a losing effort against Tatsumi Fujinami & Seiya Sanada. Also, Masakatsu Funaki defended the Triple Crown against Akebono and his next opponent looks to be Suwama.

RBH

In other news, the wrestlers who left NOAH after Kobashi was fired have wound up in All Japan Pro-Wrestling;

ibcf3Uzm6yRX02.jpg

Jun Akiyama, Go Shiozaki, Kotaro Suzuki, Atsushi Aoki & Yoshinobu Kanemaru will form a faction named BURNING in honour of Kobashi, and all 5 should be free to perform at Kobashi's May 5th retirement show 'FINAL BURNING in Budokan'.

Ric Flair pulled out of the AJPW with a suspected blood clot in his leg, so his son Reid wrestled in his place, teaming with Keiji Mutoh in a losing effort against Tatsumi Fujinami & Seiya Sanada. Also, Masakatsu Funaki defended the Triple Crown against Akebono and his next opponent looks to be Suwama.
What is the current state of NOAH right now in comparison to AJPW and NJPW? I thought I remembered reading how NOAH was having some financial trouble.

Heel

Failed standing moonsault attempt at Bellator 86 last night:
4_Marius_Zaromskis_vs._Brent_Weedman_1_medium.gif

wait what? wtf was he trying to accomplish?

I wasn't entirely sure when I saw it. It just left me staring at the screen confused for the rest of the round.

This made my day. I just want to know what he was thinking.

I'm pretty sure he's trying to creatively pass guard and end up on top on the ground in an entertaining way for the fans. He's tried and failed at it before:

st406kyp.gif

That kind of stuff can actually work if you know what you're doing, though it's kind of risky / stupid. Chad Mendes:

8_mediumpdjzj.gif

Zaromskis has always been a high risk for high reward kind of guy. When he actually succeeds:

1lrk99.gif

Holy shit, PWG's All Star Weekend 9 on March 22nd & 23rd is looking CRAZY;

Making their PWG Debuts: Trent Baretta, Johnny Gargano, Jay Lethal, AR Fox, Samuray Del Sol

Long Awaited Returns: Paul London, Chuck Taylor

Regular PWG Stars: The Unbreakable F'n Machines, The Inner City Machine Guns, The Super Smash Bros, The Young Bucks, Adam Cole, Kevin Steen, Willie Mack, Team Chop-Chop/DojoBros

Night 1 Main Event: Sami Callihan vs Drake Younger - GUERRILLA WARFARE MATCH!

Good god, that card is fucking STACKED. PWG! PWG! PWG!

This news pleases me.

Looks like there'll be plenty of Chuck Taylor in Feb-Mar.

I remember when Blackman came out for that gimmick battle royal at the 15th anniversary Raw show in 2007. The crowd went totally apeshit for him.

What is the current state of NOAH right now in comparison to AJPW and NJPW? I thought I remembered reading how NOAH was having some financial trouble.

Yeah, big financial trouble in the wake of their previous Yakuza ties being revealed. That's what led to them firing Kobashi in the first place, and with the 5 guys above leaving it's left their roster a bit slim - one of the biggest problems with NOAH is that they've had little luck creating new stars, and very few trainees coming through the ranks in the past 5 or so years, and now with their roster even further depleted they're bringing in a lot of freelance and foreign talent to fill the gaps. In general, attendances are down for house shows, but their big shows still draw well, although not as well as either All Japan or New Japan, who are both on an upturn in business. All Japan seems to definitely be on the rise, and now Mutoh is looking to capitalize and sell the promotion to someone with the money to possibly challenge New Japan.

Why is APA's theme so awesome.

Because you knew that some major ass pounding was incoming...hey don't look at me like that, that's what their shirt said, "always pounding ass".

Anyone looking coward to cena's wrestlemania entrance . Last years was a dispointment escapist when that singer called cena an underdog

Those entrances actually sapped my interest in the main event, they were that bad, calling Cena an underdog was the last straw.

KissVibes

Banned

So what's the story with Reid Flair? Is he a promising talent?

tm24

Holy shit, PWG's All Star Weekend 9 on March 22nd & 23rd is looking CRAZY;

Making their PWG Debuts: Trent Baretta, Johnny Gargano, Jay Lethal, AR Fox, Samuray Del Sol

Long Awaited Returns: Paul London, Chuck Taylor

Regular PWG Stars: The Unbreakable F'n Machines, The Inner City Machine Guns, The Super Smash Bros, The Young Bucks, Adam Cole, Kevin Steen, Willie Mack, Team Chop-Chop/DojoBros

Night 1 Main Event: Sami Callihan vs Drake Younger - GUERRILLA WARFARE MATCH!

Good god, that card is fucking STACKED. PWG! PWG! PWG!

WHY IS THERE ONLY 2 PEOPLE MARKING OUT OVER THIS?

I finally get to heckle Jay Lethal live! Also, Samuray! LUCHA! LUCHA! LUCHA!

Also, it's not Trent Berreta, its Trent ?

So what's the story with Reid Flair? Is he a promising talent?

I haven't seen him work, to be honest - but the kid has a good look, and he's only 24, so may have a future ahead of him. Here's a match of his wrestling against Jake Manning;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UvyKhj8xW_k

Also, it's not Trent Berreta, its Trent ?

Yeah, I saw that, but no one would know who I was talking about if I just said Trent ? :p

tm24 said:
WHY IS THERE ONLY 2 PEOPLE MARKING OUT OVER THIS?

I know, right? PWG is so good, it's practically criminal that more people aren't into them.

Laserfrog

Reid Flair sounds like an idiot.

Fliehr was arrested on June 23, 2007, for assault and battery, and was released after posting bail.[3] On March 4, 2009, Fliehr was arrested for driving while impaired in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, and was released after posting $1000 in bail.[14][15] Fliehr was arrested again on April 26, 2009. After crashing his car, police found black tar heroin inside it, and he now faces felony charges.[16] He was also charged with driving while impaired, driving with a revoked license, and possession of drug paraphernalia, and was released after posting $15,000 in bail.

tm24

I know, right? PWG is so good, it's practically criminal that more people aren't into them.

I try to spread the hype as much as I can, like with my free DDT4 for the Rumble winner contest. Maybe i should do a ASW9 contest with a Wrestlemania pick'em

Former WWE announcer Todd Pettengill confirmed on Twitter that he is working with WWE on a DVD about the "In Your House" PPVs. He will be hosting the DVD.

Top Bottom