• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January WrassleGAF |OT| Rocky Road to Wrestle Kingdom Starts Now

Why does England love TNA so much?

Well WWE is kind of locked away on Sky Sports while TNA is available on freeview so its the only wrestling a lot of people have access to.

Also the UK is kind of weird. There is a huge audience of people who just watch the worst TV imaginable. Channel 4 is build around catering to it.

Aiii

So not worth it
England is also the only place in the world beside The Impact Zone where people still love Hulk Hogan like it's 1988.

strobogo

Banned
Those shows sound terrible. A title tournament where the only matches people care about end in a double count out or no contest, and then a guy who isn't even in it wins it.

A8 might be the worst stable ever. They're like the b-team of the NWO B team.

Aiii

So not worth it
Those shows sound terrible. A title tournament where the only matches people care about end in a double count out or no contest, and then a guy who isn't even in it wins it.

Horace Hogan is gonna be reveiled as their leader?

Aces should just come out with the nWo B-team music.

I did not know Renee Paquette was now working with WWE. She makes those preview/recap shows kinda bearable.

PS - The Punk/Rock "IM FEELING 10 FEET TALL" promo is kinda well done.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
tumblr_mh7tybkbrv1qhr8kmo2_250.gif

It took me a while to notice her face but she actually looks nothing like Kaitlyn in the face more like Kelly Kelly here

Also out of all those 8 NXT guys they chose by far the worst one to call up, only Steamboat would be worse

Damn I love the rumble, make it 90 man and 3 hours please Vince

Aiii

So not worth it
-Punk heel turned at Raw 1000 by giving The Rock GTS.
-Cena got injured - no one cared.
-Ryback got pushed.
-Daniel Bryan and Kane became one of the best comedy tag teams in history.
-Jericho left to go on tour - I cared.
-Sandow and Rhodes become an awesome heel tag team.
-AJ hooks up with six random wrestlers including: Kane, Dbry, Punk, Cena, Ziggler, and probably Maddox because who doesn't want to?
-Triple H's arm gets brocked.
-Sheamus and ADR fight for a good three months it felt like.
-Brad Maddox becomes a thing.
-The Shield becomes a stable to fight injustice - Dean Ambrose week begins.
-Ryback loses twice because of Brad Maddox and The Shield.
-Survivor Series teams didn't make sense.
-Antonio Cesaro is going to be the big thing in 2013.
-Wade Barrett is a machine.
-The worst storyline is introduced when Cena and AJ were supposedly in a scandal. Vickie was trying her hardest to get them in trouble. Ziggler and Cena feud begins (should've began at Survivor Series). AJ screws Cena over and hooks up with the Ziggles.
-Eve leaves :(
-The Miz uses the Figure Four now.
-Big E doesn't like Cena very much.
-This up and comer Cena makes Ziggler look terrible.

WWE Championship:
  • CM Punk has remained WWE Champion the whole time, and his reign is now at something like 430 days long, easily the longest of "the modern era", aka the last 25 years or so. Paul Heyman is his manager, and is also awesome.
  • He's had some title defenses since then, primarily against Ryback, the new "monster" WWE has been pushing. Since Punk's a heel now, his wins have primarily occurred due to outside interference.
  • A referee named Brad Maddox attacked Ryback during a title match, apparently since he always wanted to be famous, and has been hanging around trying to get a WWE contract and filming "the Brad Maddox experience" ever since.
  • The Shield is a group of NXT dudes (Seth Rollins, Dean Ambrose, and Roman Reigns), who have been interfering in WWE matches by attacking people in the name of justice. They've so far attacked John Cena, Sheamus, Randy Orton, Team Hell No, and Ryback, though they seem to attack CM Punk's opponents most often. They had a fantastic TLC match against Team Hell No and Ryback.
  • CM Punk claims no affiliation with Brad Maddox or the Shield. Vince McMahon doesn't buy it, and has warned he'll strip the title from Punk if the Shield interferes with the title match during the Royal Rumble.
  • Also The Rock is back to win the title from Punk, but he sucks now.

World Heavyweight Championship:
  • Alberto Del Rio (now face) beat the Big Show (who took the championship from Sheamus) for the WHC during a Last Man Standing match after turning the announce table over on him. Big Show is now being kind of racist towards latinos.

Tag Team Championship:
  • Team Hell No (Kane and Daniel Bryan) are still the tag team champions, and they just graduated from Dr. Shelby's anger management course. They are currently feuding with Team Rhodes Scholars (Cody Rhodes and Damien Sandow).
  • Cody grew a Mustache.

Intercontinental Championship:
  • After a random Kofi Kingston IC run, Wade Barrett now holds the title. No big-time feud going down, but his last couple matches have been against Randy Orton.

United States Championship
:
  • Antonio Cesaro continues to hold the US Championship against all challengers, and also continues to be fucking awesome in the ring, while trolling the United States at every turn.

Divas Championship:
  • After a feud that lasted a few months, Kaitlyn recently won the Divas championship from Eve, who promptly quit WWE after the match.

Miscellaneous:
  • The Miz is a face now, and Ric Flair gave Miz his blessing to use the Figure Four. Miz promptly decided to perform the worst Figure Four in the history of wrestling.
  • AJ Lee has now hooked up with Dolph Ziggler, who still holds the WHC Money In the Bank Briefcase despite a feud with John Cena. Big E Langston from NXT hangs around those two as extra muscle.

Linkified

Well WWE is kind of locked away on Sky Sports while TNA is available on freeview so its the only wrestling a lot of people have access to.

Also the UK is kind of weird. There is a huge audience of people who just watch the worst TV imaginable. Channel 4 is build around catering to it.

Sarah Beeny and Kirstie Allsopp seem to disagree with you, now ITV or BBC Three on the other hand...

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I guess WWE also has articles up previewing the major matches:

WWE Champion CM Punk vs The Rock

World Heavyweight Champion Alberto Del Rio vs The Big Show (Last Man Standing Match)
30-Man Royal Rumble Match
WWE Tag Team Champions Team Hell No vs Team Rhodes Scholars
United States Champion Antonio Cesaro vs The Miz (Pre-show)

The WWE Championship match is the only one with any kind of real build going into the show.

We're also likely to see a random Divas match thrown in there to fill time and give the crowd a chance to go to the bathroom, probably Kaitlyn vs Tamina or something.

strobogo

Banned
WAAAYYYY too much detail on the current WWE storylines. It should have been like this:

Cena keeps on being Cena

Punk has been the champ for a year, no one respects him, Rock called him Cookie Puss and they will fight.

Shield still has no direction and randomly attack people.

ADR turned face and Big Shoe is really racist.

Ziggler is now aligned with AJ and Big E. Langston from NXT. He still loses every match.

Miz is the new Nature Boy, but is worse than David Flair.

Claudio is still awesome. Team Hell no is still doing what they've been doing for 6 months.

KissVibes

Banned
ijKCTwpw8uPGJ.gif

So...the winner of that NXT tournment for a Rumble spot was...
Bo Dallas

WHY?

HIS POPULARITY WITHIN THE COMPANY IS DUMBFOUNDING.

Leo Kruger isn't a favorite of mine by any means but at least he has a marketable look, decent skills, and is okay on the microphone. What's more, Bray Wyatt is fucking GOLD. Why isn't he already on the main roster! He's got a AAA gimmick that's prime for a main event feud.

It helps limit face time for Miz on the real show.

Anything that limits Miz's TV exposure is a good thing.

Just wait until he locks in the AMERICAN FIGURE FOUR and walks away as US Champion. He'll be all over.

Jamie OD

My friend went to the show.

I don't understand why he prefers TNA to WWE.

There was a period when I thought some people were diehard TNA fans only because they really hated WWE. This was before Hogan came in up until the end of their Monday Night episodes. I no longer think that but I was convinced it was true back then.

Kyoufu

There was a period when I thought some people were diehard TNA fans only because they really hated WWE. This was before Hogan came in up until the end of their Monday Night episodes. I no longer think that but I was convinced it was true back then.

What time does TNA air in the UK? My friend says Raw is on too late at night for him to be able to watch it.

Jamie OD

What time does TNA air in the UK? My friend says Raw is on too late at night for him to be able to watch it.

TNA Impact is shown on Tuesdays at 10pm on Challenge TV. The PPVs are aired on the Wednesday after they happen.

WWE Raw is aired live on Sky Sports on Tuesdays at 2am local time. It then gets repeated on Thursday nights at around 9 and a shortened version airs on Friday afternoons. Smackdown airs on Friday night and due to the time difference it airs on European TV before American TV. There are also different highlight programs that air on Sky One on weekend mornings. As already mentioned, the Sky channels are part of a subscription package while Challenge TV is available to most of the British population. Oddly enough, it's the opposite in Ireland. More people here have access to the Sky channels instead of Challenge.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
TNA Impact is shown on Tuesdays at 10pm on Challenge TV. The PPVs are aired on the Wednesday after they happen.

WWE Raw is aired live on Sky Sports on Tuesdays at 2am local time. It then gets repeated on Thursday nights at around 9 and a shortened version airs on Friday afternoons. Smackdown airs on Friday night and due to the time difference it airs on European TV before American TV. There are also different highlight programs that air on Sky One on weekend mornings. As already mentioned, the Sky channels are part of a subscription package while Challenge TV is available to most of the British population. Oddly enough, it's the opposite in Ireland. More people here have access to the Sky channels instead of Challenge.
The re-runs of Raw are edited down to two hours (with ads), though.

TNA first-run is actually on Sundays at 9, I think, which is a pretty good time slot.

UberTag

Her and Teddy Long will have a great time together.

Take her, Teddy Long, Yoshi Tatsu, and Zack Ryder and make a stable called the Iced Z(ero)'s, a group that wins via confusing their opponents via awkward dancing.
Poor Fandangoo doesn't even make the cut in a faction that's built around his awful gimmick.

It helps limit face time for Miz on the real show.

Anything that limits Miz's TV exposure is a good thing.

I'm honestly baffled how Miz hasn't figured out how to be a babyface. He has the catchphrases already, all you have to do is say them enough and you'll be over
Ryback
. They are trying their best to force feed us that he's should be liked and no one buys it.

And I'm one of the rare few around here who actually like the Miz, but he is just terrible at this face thing. It's funny too because Del Rio mastered it in like 30 seconds. One week he's running over Santa Claus and the next week he's fucking crowd pleaser extraordinaire.

Kaladin

Dragon Gate USA in two hours!!!!

revolt2013_ippv.jpg

Open The Freedom Gate Title No Rope Match
Johnny Gargano defends vs. Jon Davis

Special Tag Team Attraction
The Young Bucks vs. Jimmy Susumu & Ryo Saito

Dream Singles Match
Akira Tozawa vs. Sami Callihan

New Stars Invade The LA Area
AR Fox vs. Samuray Del Sol

Special Attraction Match
Rich Swann vs. EITA

Special Challenge Match
Chuck Taylor vs. Arik Cannon

Brian Kendrick Will Be In Attendance!!!

California FRAY!
two men start, every two minutes another enters, eliminations take place anytime by pinfall, DQ or submission, last man standing is the winner
Participants: B-Boy, Brian Cage, Drake Younger, Johnny Yuma, Johnny Goodtime, Ray Rosas, representative of Brian Kendrick's School Of Wrestling and Famous B

KissVibes

Banned
Poor Fandangoo doesn't even make the cut in a faction that's built around his awful gimmick.

Fandangoooooooooo is probably a reverse Funkasaurus but they have no openings for him to debut. Too many heel champions right now and I'm sure as shit that he wont debut as a face whenever he does show up.

Or maybe, Derrick Bateman is silently getting the Fandango gimmick and they're waiting until people completely forget about those promos to start over.

Why hasn't Derrick Bateman been let go yet? He seems like a cool, funny guy but does he really have what it takes to be on the main roster?

Top Bottom