• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

strobogo

Banned
I was born in 1988, about the only thing I remember pre Attitude was anything to due with Bret Hart, even then not very well. I was just going to wait until the Network is available in Canada to start the backlog but now I kinda want to just dive in now. Any suggestions as to when to start?

Not really. I was also born in 1988, but had tons of 80s tapes from local video shops. And as the internet grew, it became a lot easier to find all that stuff.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Im surprised some gaffer never got an HQ shot of Kaitlyn's boob popping out in Raw a bit back. You know her roided fiance was begging her to leave before #batistasback

I've studied the tape, it just wasn't enough. It just wasn't enough.

ibkhHMhxjDgX43.gif

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I was born in 1988, about the only thing I remember pre Attitude was anything to due with Bret Hart, even then not very well. I was just going to wait until the Network is available in Canada to start the backlog but now I kinda want to just dive in now. Any suggestions as to when to start?

Pick a year and hit up the Wrestling Challenge shows and SNMEs. PPVs optional - every show was hype as fuck and ready to explooooode. You might even pick an arc - like the Megapowers and watch the whole thing play out along with everything else. It's a lot of fun.

I have never watch 80s wrestling in my life but wow that intro is amazing! Very simple promos quickly explaining the up coming matches without anyone trying to bury anyone. I mean, Hogan making Hercules (or anyone for that matter) sound good? Blows my mind.

Simplicity is the key word. Logical simplicity and building characters by giving each their own little spotlights and their own feuds. It blows my mind how little the WWE manages to do that for the majority of the roster with as much TV time as they have. And hell, even if they tried harder to build characters, the flow of Raw as a TV presentation is terrible these days. The first 7 minutes of that Main Event video absolutely would not happen in 2014.

strobogo

Banned
Tony/Brain/Dusty is my favorite. Dusty on commentary is just the greatest thing ever. Gorilla/Heenan is probably my favorite that WWE has ever done. I don't know why WCW would have Bischoff or the LIVING LEGEND or god forbid the football player guy on commentary when they could have just had Tony/Brain/Dusty 24/7 on every show. Most of the time they just made fun of Tony the whole time and that made life enjoyable.

Well Larry Z is a great commentator, but that's an unpopular opinion round these parts. Dusty with Tony and Brain was good, for sure, but put a Public Enemy match in there and I start having a freakout in a bad way.

Larry was a fucking TERRIBLE color guy. He spent entire shows putting himself over and shitting on guys he didn't like or didn't care about. He added absolutely nothing. Bischoff was also really bad. He was actually worse during his weird 1999 face forgiveness run than when he was a full time commentator. I've grown a deep appreciation for Tony Schiavone.

Lance Russell was also great. I prefer him so much to Gordon Solie.

MG310

I was born in 85 so a lot of my fondest WWF/E memories are of early 90's stuff. Though I did rent damn near every tape I could from West Coast Video as a kid.

Wrestlemania 4 being 2 tapes was the worst b/c they counted them separately

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Always hated Joey Styles' commentary. Another minority I'm in.

For some reason I found myself reminiscing about late 2005 - early 2007 Smackdown and how unusual the roster and show was around 2006 in particular compared to Raw. It was full of all these random guys who lasted for like a few months tops.
You had these chump tag teams like The Dicks (worst team name ever?) and Gymini who were doing twin magic long before the Bellas, also managed by Simon Dean, the guy who shilled his "simon system" and rode a segway to the ring.
You might remember Elijah Burke but what about the guy he was originally managing, some dude called Sylvester Terkay and i'm not even sure if that ever went anywhere. Palmer Cannon, the short lived network executive whose impact on SD seemed to consist of having mini luchadors wrestle for a few weeks before he was hazed out of the company by JBL or something like that.
Chris Benoit's protege Gunner Scott who I mainly remember because King Booker referred to him as Gunner Something which accurately sums things up, also King Booker as a gimmick in general.
Tying this all together was Teddy Long who has a steady rotation of samey main events, it was either tag team match playa with Booker and Finley against Batista and Lashley or if you were lucky you might get someone going one on one with da Undahtakah!

I'm not entirely sure what I'm getting at here, it's just a really odd stretch of Smackdown with oddball characters that kept getting dropped and a drought of main event talent, also a main event Mysterio run, dire times indeed.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
For some reason I found myself reminiscing about late 2005 - early 2007 Smackdown and how unusual the roster and show was around 2006 in particular compared to Raw. It was full of all these random guys who lasted for like a few months tops.
You had these chump tag teams like The Dicks (worst team name ever?) and Gymini who were doing twin magic long before the Bellas, also managed by Simon Dean, the guy who shilled his "simon system" and rode a segway to the ring.
You might remember Elijah Burke but what about the guy he was originally managing, some dude called Sylvester Terkay and i'm not even sure if that ever went anywhere. Palmer Cannon, the short lived network executive whose impact on SD seemed to consist of having mini luchadors wrestle for a few weeks before he was hazed out of the company by JBL or something like that.
Chris Benoit's protege Gunner Scott who I mainly remember because King Booker referred to him as Gunner Something which accurately sums things up, also King Booker as a gimmick in general.
Tying this all together was Teddy Long who has a steady rotation of samey main events, it was either tag team match playa with Booker and Finley against Batista and Lashley or if you were lucky you might get someone going one on one with da Undahtakah!

I'm not entirely sure what I'm getting at here, it's just a really odd stretch of Smackdown with oddball characters that kept getting dropped and a drought of main event talent, also a main event Mysterio run, dire times indeed.

Yeah. If you want to find forgotten superstars, those years are the ones to look at. You look at the roster and have no fucking clue who over 50% of these guys are.

Current people signed to WWE I like on commentary:
CM Punk, Tensai, William Regal, Renee Young, Scott Sanford, Goldust, Big E Langston, Joey Styles

Wish any of these people were in that role...

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I wish, since Strobogo earned Wrasslegaf MVP last year, I wish we could ask a mod to tag him for it. He deserves it.

kiguel182

vRaw Viewership for Batista return:

hour 1: 5.249
hour 2: 4.995
hour 3: 4.363

Avg: 4.869

Batista brought the viewers back but most left when they realized he won't be back for the third hour even with the tease of Cena coming late in for work to confront Orton in the 3rd hour.

Well, that seals it then. Baptista to win the Rumble and main event Mania.

On the plus side, I'll save 20 euros.

Rapstah

As someone who had no idea of what wrestling was until maybe 2008-2009 (and I didn't give a shit until last year), for whatever reason I knew who Bret Hart, Chris Jericho and Scott Steiner were. Bret Hart and Jericho by name, Jericho because I acidentally watched two minutes of Smackdown at some point in 2000-2005 and saw Jericho walking to the ring and a quick video recap. For whatever reason I managed to pick up his name, finisher and entrance music from this. Bret Hart I have no idea about although his WCW monster truck was in Monster Truck Madness 2 which I probably played hundreds of hours of at some point.

Scott Steiner looks so stupid with his chainmail thing that I guess I managed to remember that.

Vague memories of the dad of the kids next door I used to play with at age six or seven says he was an enormous WCW fan but I could just be filling in the blanks with shit I know now. I know they told me wrestling was fake before I knew what it was though.

izakq

Favorite SNME? Mine is the seventh one with the following card:

Hulk Hogan vs. Paul Orndorff
Ricky Steamboat vs Jake Roberts
Roddy Piper vs The Iron Sheik
The British Bulldogs vs Brutus Beefcake and Greg Valentine
Kamala vs Lanny Poffo

Don't want to spoil of what happened for those who want to see it, but a lot of crazy stuff happens in the first three matches listed above.

Recall

Just watched Goldust & Cody Rhodes vs. The Shield from Battleground 2013 and holy mother of fuck was that one of the best tag matches WWE has had in years. It was southern NWA to a tee with modern sprinklings and it paid off huge.

jmdajr

Before actually watching wrestling I was simply familiar with it from the Saturday Morning cartoons and some Videogames.

I didn't actually start watching the product until after Wrestlemania 5, which turned out to be Summerslam.

SummerSlam_1989.jpg

After seeing the power of the Warrior, I was fucking hooked.

somedevil

Interesting interview with Daniel Bryan where he is candid about his situation in the back. Says that some people in the back don't see money in him and that he is to nice to do the politicking to help his push.

Also, uses logic that if the WWE wants to create stars they have to have the full company backing and has to win a lot to make it as a star.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5YIcMXFTs8#t=881

Mr. McMahon please confirm whether or not the CAW version of my wrestler has the Super-heavyweight perk as it will affect my own personal betting lines. Please do so without revealing the name of my entrant.

Many thanks,
Pepsilaserfrocacity

Sad we never got to see Misticara point at the Wrestlemania sign. That dude was one hell of a pointer.

As someone who had no idea of what wrestling was until maybe 2008-2009 (and I didn't give a shit until last year), for whatever reason I knew who Bret Hart, Chris Jericho and Scott Steiner were. Bret Hart and Jericho by name, Jericho because I acidentally watched two minutes of Smackdown at some point in 2000-2005 and saw Jericho walking to the ring and a quick video recap. For whatever reason I managed to pick up his name, finisher and entrance music from this. Bret Hart I have no idea about although his WCW monster truck was in Monster Truck Madness 2 which I probably played hundreds of hours of at some point.

Scott Steiner looks so stupid with his chainmail thing that I guess I managed to remember that.

Vague memories of the dad of the kids next door I used to play with at age six or seven says he was an enormous WCW fan but I could just be filling in the blanks with shit I know now. I know they told me wrestling was fake before I knew what it was though.

WHAT?!

ibifI3lmKzdBQQ.gif

Xater

Interesting interview with Daniel Bryan where he is candid about his situation in the back. Says that some people in the back don't see money in him and that he is to nice to do the politicking to help his push.

Also, uses logic that if the WWE wants to create stars they have to have the full company backing and has to win a lot to make it as a star.

Just started listening to this. Really good stuff.

Pavaloo

Don't suppose any WrassleGaffers are tech wizards?

Put my PC on sleep mode when I went to bed, woke up and now it won't boot. No power LEDs or anything. :/

Learned my lesson though: leave my PC on forever.

strobogo

Banned
Scott Steiner was/is awesome, even if he wasn't that good in the ring after 1997 or so. Wrestling needs that kind of unrestrained madness.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Scott Steiner was the true loose cannon. I like Pillman but Pillman looks like Bob Backlund compared to Scott Steiner. Scott Steiner makes every match exciting because you don't know if he might just kill somebody.

As a kid, I would flip the channel when he was on because he scared me.
J.R. replied and said that Lou Thesz made damn good BBQ sauce.
What about Jack's? How does Jack Brisco's BBQ sauce measure up?

XenoRaven

GRD? Why wasn't he on Free Beer and Hot Wings???

Top Bottom