• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

jmdajr

Only real loss was Maryse. What a shame.

Guess the road life was gonna make it hard on her good looks. Too bad she's self preserving for Miz.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Two things:

First, everyone should watch the amazing intro to this Saturday Night's Main Event. Gets you hype as fuck for the whole thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6ACeJUcYUI

Second thing is for either Boots or Stro, whoever feels like doing me a favor - I'm at work or I'd do it myself but:

Can you gif the Hulkamania titty shake after the first match with Macho Man/Jake? It's right at the start of hoggin's promo.

jmdajr

It's funny, my wife doesn't watch wrestling regularly..but she knows more or less what's up. When it came to Miz being Champ my wife was basically "Just No." She said she realized it's supposed to be entertainment, but even for her it was too much to ask for.

"Am I supposed to believe Miz can actually kick someon'e ass???? This is ridiculous."

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
It's funny, my wife doesn't watch wrestling regularly..but she knows more or less what's up. When it came to Miz being Champ my wife was basically "Just No." She said she realized it's supposed to be entertainment, but even for her it was too much to ask for.

"Am I supposed to believe Miz can actually kick someon'e ass???? This is ridiculous."

Punk got that same treatment. Who would win in a shoot fight, Punk or Miz?*

* assuming Miz doesn't get headlocked at the beginning ala kofi

Speaking of the ultimate warrior

tumblr_m8rt8hUlTH1r4ic2uo1_1280.jpg

ib2Ekt1NlDlkm2.gif
God her doctor was incredible. Hopefully now that shes free she will set them free for the rest of the world.

jmdajr

Punk got that same treatment. Who would win in a shoot fight, Punk or Miz?*

* assuming Miz doesn't get headlocked at the beginning ala kofi

Absolutely. I've even given Punk crap about not looking "tough."

But he's good on the mic and has good matches, so you know. People can let shit go if you can find a way to make them buy it.

strobogo

Banned
Two things:

First, everyone should watch the amazing intro to this Saturday Night's Main Event. Gets you hype as fuck for the whole thing:

Second thing is for either Boots or Stro, whoever feels like doing me a favor - I'm at work or I'd do it myself but:

Can you gif the Hulkamania titty shake after the first match with Macho Man/Jake? It's right at the start of hoggin's promo.

iG6cKYtGkdvjI.gif

G-Fex

That's Hulkamania right there BROTHER. Hulkster had such crazy eyes and crazy expressions.

and the Saturday Night Main Event theme is tops

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you based Stro, these titties will be making the rounds at GAF.

strobogo

Banned
I hope all the SNME's are up on the Network early on. And all the Prime Time/Superstars/TNT. You can do a DVD set, but it isn't the same thing. You have to watch the whole shows. How could I ever be depressed again with full access to Golden Era WWF?

mrboo001

Banned
Two things:

I have never watch 80s wrestling in my life but wow that intro is amazing! Very simple promos quickly explaining the up coming matches without anyone trying to bury anyone. I mean, Hogan making Hercules (or anyone for that matter) sound good? Blows my mind.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I hope all the SNME's are up on the Network early on. And all the Prime Time/Superstars/TNT. You can do a DVD set, but it isn't the same thing. You have to watch the whole shows. How could I ever be depressed again with full access to Golden Era WWF?

It's unreal. Some of the best stuff was on those shows. PPV caliber matches if not better, and a hot, hot, HOT crowd. Jesse and Vince on commentary, in their golden age as well. Promos off the fuckin tank, talent through the roof.

SNME in 86 was one of the best things ever.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I have never watch 80s wrestling in my life but wow that intro is amazing! Very simple promos quickly explaining the up coming matches without anyone trying to bury anyone. I mean, Hogan making Hercules (or anyone for that matter) sound good? Blows my mind.

Yeah, it's really good. Very simple, but clear direction on all of them. Everyone had something worthwhile to say or do.

If you wanna see something else insane, check out Hogan's promos when he had a 3 month feud with The Genius. He put him over huge...until it was time for the ring work.

MC Safety

Yeah, it's really good. Very simple, but clear direction on all of them. Everyone had something worthwhile to say or do.

If you wanna see something else insane, check out Hogan's promos when he had a 3 month feud with The Genius. He put him over huge...until it was time for the ring work.

The Genius created a mathematical formula to take Hulk down!

(The idea was Hogan's, by the way.)

somedevil

vRaw Viewership for Batista return:

hour 1: 5.249
hour 2: 4.995
hour 3: 4.363

Avg: 4.869

Batista brought the viewers back but most left when they realized he won't be back for the third hour even with the tease of Cena coming late in for work to confront Orton in the 3rd hour.

mrboo001

Banned

Considering I only vaguely remember pre Attitude Era/1995 stuff that was a breath of fresh air. I couldn't even imagine John Cena doing that. It also works better than constantly shitting all over your opponent: if the other guy is shit then of course you should win, but if you actually respect your opponent then win then you look all the better.

I'm not saying it should be like that all the time but would be a nice change of pace.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going with Chris Masters as GOAT Titty-Shaker.

Considering I only vaguely remember pre Attitude Era/1995 stuff that was a breath of fresh air. I couldn't even imagine John Cena doing that. It also works better than constantly shitting all over your opponent: if the other guy is shit then of course you should win, but if you actually respect your opponent then win then you look all the better.

I'm not saying it should be like that all the time but would be a nice change of pace.

For sure. WWE needs nights like that, where they're at a hot-ass crowd and take a real old school feel to it. Hell, I think WWE should bring back SNME in a form - but as Old-School Raw nights. Then you can bring in lapsed fans with legends showing up while also introducing new guys.

Verendus

Banned
I'm sure of one thing, Batista is headlining Wrestlemania.

Either he wins the Royal Rumble or Bryan will win, and Batista will take the title at Elimination Chamber.

Spotlight please.

Raw Viewership for Batista return:

hour 1: 5.249
hour 2: 4.995
hour 3: 4.363

Avg: 4.869

Batista brought the viewers back but most left when they realized he won't be back for the third hour.
Not too surprising to be fair. Dude was the biggest star in the past decade after Cena. If he didn't pop the viewership like this, I'm sure Vince would be having a heart attack.

Not you Sunny, the impostor Vince.

strobogo

Banned

I legit feel bad for wrestling fans who didn't grow up with 80s WWF. The ring work wasn't the best a lot of the time, even with great workers, but it was the whole package. Everyone had a character, promos mattered and were often coked up madness, best announcing in WWE history (as much as I love JR), bright and colorful without being insultingly childish like the modern PG era. NWA had better wrestling. Memphis and Texas had crazier angles. But nothing is more comforting to me than WWF from 1986ish-1992.

Toki767

That third hour number is pretty horrible when you consider they were building Cena coming to get Orton the entire night. Just shows how little interest people had in seeing that.

G-Fex

I legit feel bad for wrestling fans who didn't grow up with 80s WWF. The ring work wasn't the best a lot of the time, even with great workers, but it was the whole package. Everyone had a character, promos mattered and were often coked up madness, best announcing in WWE history (as much as I love JR), bright and colorful without being insultingly childish like the modern PG era. NWA had better wrestling. Memphis and Texas had crazier angles. But nothing is more comforting to me than WWF from 1986ish-1992.

This is why the Rockn' Roll wrestling Era is my favorite. Even though I started modern wrestling in the Attitude Era. The Era of Hogan, Mach, Jake, Taker, Dibiase is the BEST.

UberTag

I'm sure of one thing, Batista is headlining Wrestlemania.

Either he wins the Royal Rumble or Bryan will win, and Batista will take the title at Elimination Chamber.
Big Dave's winning the Rumble. And whatever the final match at WrestleMania happens to be.
The kiddies want to see this 45-year-old guy wreak havoc despite being older than Brett Favre.
Hope he can still Batistabomb properly when he's not wearing skinny jeans.

It's Brotista's time now.
Brotista is dead. His only tolerable character no longer exists. This is now Big Dave's time to shine.

Verendus

Banned
That third hour number is pretty horrible when you consider they were building Cena coming to get Orton the entire night. Just shows how little interest people had in seeing that.
It's Brotista's time now.

I hope WWE see this and realise the only option for Wrestlemania is Batista vs. Lesnar. I want that Hell in a Cell later in the year also.

They're good, but lately, I've really REALLY been loving Vince/Jesse. A whole hell of a lot. They're definitely at the top.

Tony/Brain/Dusty is my favorite. Dusty on commentary is just the greatest thing ever. Gorilla/Heenan is probably my favorite that WWE has ever done. I don't know why WCW would have Bischoff or the LIVING LEGEND or god forbid the football player guy on commentary when they could have just had Tony/Brain/Dusty 24/7 on every show. Most of the time they just made fun of Tony the whole time and that made life enjoyable.

strobogo

Banned
Gorilla/Brain, Gorilla/Jesse, Vince/Jesse, Vince/Brain. All great. Pretty hard to pick one. I love Jesse always fucking with Vince.

Guys I hated on commentary:

Lord Alfred Hayes: Was always disinterested, called things by the wrong name, and would bury dudes like he's doing commentary for Raw in 2014.

Superstar Billy Graham: Never have promo skills translated less to good commentary. Just awful.

Brother Love: I hate the whole character of Brother Love. His segments were bad enough, but when he got to do color on a whole show...fuck.

On the fence for Piper. Sometimes he was really good and funny, but other times he was really unfocused and more distracting than anything.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tony/Brain/Dusty is my favorite. Dusty on commentary is just the greatest thing ever. Gorilla/Heenan is probably my favorite that WWE has ever done. I don't know why WCW would have Bischoff or the LIVING LEGEND or god forbid the football player guy on commentary when they could have just had Tony/Brain/Dusty 24/7 on every show. Most of the time they just made fun of Tony the whole time and that made life enjoyable.

Well Larry Z is a great commentator, but that's an unpopular opinion round these parts. Dusty with Tony and Brain was good, for sure, but put a Public Enemy match in there and I start having a freakout in a bad way.

mrboo001

Banned

I was born in 1988, about the only thing I remember pre Attitude was anything to due with Bret Hart, even then not very well. I was just going to wait until the Network is available in Canada to start the backlog but now I kinda want to just dive in now. Any suggestions as to when to start?

Im surprised some gaffer never got an HQ shot of Kaitlyn's boob popping out in Raw a bit back. You know her roided fiance was begging her to leave before #batistasback

Top Bottom