• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

strobogo

Banned
Can someone give me a good place to start watching NXT? I've watched the first 4 or 5 seasons and they're starting to do an "All Star" season where they're bringing back former contestants and it's not terribly exciting.

Just looking for a good place where it starts hitting it's stride.

Skip all that shit and start with the reboot, which was in the Summer/Fall of 2012.

The most over girl in sports entertainment right now is this chick.

ap-ufc-157-mixed-martial-arts-4_3.jpg

She pretties up nice enough to be on the cover of Maxim but she can legit fuck up other girls she faces in the Octagon.
Rousey vs. Tate got more over with the crowd in 20 minutes than any women's program the WWE has put together since Lita vs. Trish.

The WWE needs to find the wrestling equivalent of Ronda Rousey if they wish to give women's wrestling any legitimacy. And if they don't want to do that, they should just not have them wrestle.

I agree that WWE should hire more focused wrestlers, they could have some pretty good matches right now if they just change the way they do things. Like, do you think Paige and Emma would do any better with 3 minute matches that are set up with musical chair segments? (Emma would do pretty well, actually, but ignore that!) They just have to change how the matches are presented. Stop using them as cooldown matches that last three minutes every time. If you gave the current roster at least 10 minutes, sometimes more I'm sure they'd get better. Just get Cole and King and JBL out of there and have Renee Young and Regal commentate divas matches. Give them video packages and actual angles for matches that's beyond the garbage they're currently doing.

I'm not going to blame any of the wrestlers right now for what the current product is like. That's up to who's in charge. If Daniel Bryan was only in three minute squash matches for years and years and years I'm sure it would be a similar situation. Also I believe former divas have said that WWE has a pretty strict style for women's wrestling that involves "don't show up the guys." That's got to go.

The Russo story of him being back with TNA is false. Noone in creative or any of the top wrestlers that have input into creative are aware of him being back and there's been no mention of him. The only possibility would be if Dixie is secretly talking to him about coming back herself and keeping everyone else in the dark.

mrboo001

Banned
Alright guys, I can take names for the next 30 minutes. I'm only putting people that have cleared their avatars to go into the intro because I don't like making assumptions. So far I have:

BIONIC-ARRRMMM!!
DMczaf
Hasney
Pavaloo
Shadowlink
tm24

I assume SunnyMac is cool with it, seeing as the Avatar Rumble is his baby. Anyone else?

I signed up too and you can use my avatar too.

strobogo

Banned
Had a most excellent metal experience getting my booze. Mid West GAF knows that it's been crazy windy all day. Like sustained 30mph wind for 15 hours straight. There has also been a lot of snow. So I'm driving between two desolate corn fields and the wind is blowing, making it look like I'm driving through a frozen hell. And as I was doing this, The Mob Rules was playing on my radio. It was metal as fuck.

4282_artist.jpg

Hasney

The Russo story of him being back with TNA is false. Noone in creative or any of the top wrestlers that have input into creative are aware of him being back and there's been no mention of him. The only possibility would be if Dixie is secretly talking to him about coming back herself and keeping everyone else in the dark.

So you're saying it's a swerve. Or you're the swerve.

RUSSO'S BACK, BOBO CONFIRMS IT.

RIP Dio

Under 2 hours! HYPED

YEAHHHH. Saving all my drink for the start time so hopefully I get progressively drunk enough to cry about the winner. Either out of sadness or Kurt Angle style.

gurudyne

Alright guys, I can take names for the next 30 minutes. I'm only putting people that have cleared their avatars to go into the intro because I don't like making assumptions.

I'm pretty late to this party, but if you're still taking submissions, I'd like to throw my hat in.

Threadshitting: The Thread

Considering how often the mods and EviLore post that they don't like people First Post-ing, bumping threads just to question their worth or getting into one-up gif fights, you'd think people would realize that posting that way on gaming side is a Mistake. The only thing missing to complete the collection of bad posts is a "stealth brag" claim, antoniobandaras.gif and michaeljordanlaughing.gif. Granted, I didn't make it past page one, so all of those could have been there.

The Cobra (c) vs Don Arakawa - (NJPW 08/01/1985)

This is for the WWF Jr. Heavyweight Title, which was created in the mid-60's, but was then brought to Japan by Tatsumi Fujinami in 1975. The belt would be retired in '86 when WWF & New Japan ended their working relationship. The Cobra was George Takano under the mask, who is most well known for his tag team with his younger brother Shunji Takano, but George was given the Cobra gimmick and billed from Uganda when he was sent on a learning excursion to Stampede Wrestling in the late 70's. Don Arakawa, meanwhile, is a 13 year veteran at this point, but never really went beyond being a useful mid-card hand. The crowd, however, appreciate an underdog and there's big chants for him as they get things started. Takano is a fairly technical wrestler, but drops most of that for his Cobra gimmick, which focuses mostly on speedy jumping kicks. This gives a nice contrast to the stiffer working Arakawa. A pretty fun match for the most part that the crowd are well into, with a couple of big spots, notably these two evil looking piledrivers;

i8vYug2fIuXSj.gif

strobogo

Banned
How is Holy Diver not anybody's theme song? Clearly that song is a perfect entrance theme.

When I worked at a collections agency, me and a few other guys would call each other and sing HOLY DIALER. We also threw up Kanyon Cutter signs for supervisors.

I give those piledrivers 5/5 JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZZZUSes.

TL21xx

Banned
I'm probably not going to have the intro done before the Rumble (have to run some quick errands), but it works out, I can make sure to get everyone in. While it's not gonna be able to touch the awesome of the Avatar Rumble itself, I think you all will enjoy it all the same.

strobogo

Banned
Or I am Russo

039c3a9ebb3c6297b766eff2dd754e71.jpg

TNA was a great show with Russo. That was an entertaining two hours before Hogan/Bischoff came in.

It really was. But it was so good because it was Russo booking a straight wrestling show, which seems completely counter intuitive and like it wouldn't work. But it did. The 3 months or so before Hogan/Bischoff came in was one of their strongest stretches.

Hasney

Or I am Russo

039c3a9ebb3c6297b766eff2dd754e71.jpg

TNA was a great show with Russo. That was an entertaining two hours before Hogan/Bischoff came in.

It really was. But it was so good because it was Russo booking a straight wrestling show, which seems completely counter intuitive and like it wouldn't work. But it did. The 3 months or so before Hogan/Bischoff came in was one of their strongest stretches.

Totally agree, at least for the most part. The original run with S.E.X. was pretty terrible, but 6-sides era was fantastic.

KissVibes

Banned

Dixie is the inside man. She has Russo come back, FINALLY destroy the company, and she hooks up with Double J and T.K.

They get that Spike TV spot, Bring in MAVEN as the new Sting, and start ROLLING in money.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Russo's biggest strength is booking low and mid card people strong. Everyone has a compelling story line, and if it doesn't work, they try something else until it does.

TNA at that time was around 90% mid card guys so it worked out wonderfully.

If the WWE had him and made sure he only did that it would work out great.

strobogo

Banned
Russo's biggest strength is booking low and mid card people strong. Everyone has a compelling story line, and if it doesn't work, they try something else until it does.

TNA at that time was around 90% mid card guys so it worked out wonderfully.

If the WWE had him and made sure he only did that it would work out great.

His biggest strength is writing angles for programs that are booked by someone else. He's not good at pairing people up and booking full shows. He needs to give given 2-3 programs and focus only on them. He's a writer, not a booker. When he's a booker, you get stupid shit like Kidman vs Hogan or Kidman vs Shane Douglas. Or Vampiro vs Dr. Death.

DiscoJon

Banned
Not gonna be able to watch the Rumble today (short story, there's a girl here 'NUFF SAID) is it going to be shown again at a later date?

strobogo

Banned
Not gonna be able to watch the Rumble today (short story, there's a girl here 'NUFF SAID) is it going to be shown again at a later date?

Psh, you'll be done with the girl in a few minutes. Get it over with and watch the Rumble. Or do it while watching the Rambo.

DiscoJon

Banned
You have a girl there that talks like Stan Lee? Show her the wrasslin' and if she is good to go then she is a keeper.

She's actually into wrasslin', she was a big WCW fan back in the day. Dunno how I feel about that though. Guess it depends on what she thinks about Kanyon.

Top Bottom