• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

January Wrasslin' |OT| The Assassination of Daniel Bryan by the Coward Vince McMahon

Aiii

So not worth it
They still haven't even announced a launch date for the Xbox One and everyone is buying PS4's, so Titanfall will probably die a horrible and lonely death over here.

strobogo

Banned
When did ROH get so bad? Dudes named Cheeseburger and QT, talk show segments on IPPV, dudes making the Young Bucks look restrained, and production values that look worse than DVDs from 2005.

Alucard

Banned
Bray isn`t awful in the ring, but you wouldn`t know that from watching him on the main roster. My guess would be that the Royal Rumble is his make or break moment and that if D Brine can`t pull a good match out of him then he`ll be tossed down the Wade Barrett hole.

There is no way that happens. The WWE has invested tons of time into his pre-recorded promos, has given him tons of mic time, and the Wyatts are over as a faction. His character is too good to toss to the side even if he's only average in the ring. The guy is a storyteller, and he tells good stories.

Striker

There is no way that happens. The WWE has invested tons of time into his pre-recorded promos, has given him tons of mic time, and the Wyatts are over as a faction. His character is too good to toss to the side even if he's only average in the ring. The guy is a storyteller, and he tells good stories.
They'll need him to become a manager, and not be Gangrel.

Alucard

Banned
When did ROH get so bad? Dudes named Cheeseburger and QT, talk show segments on IPPV, dudes making the Young Bucks look restrained, and production values that look worse than DVDs from 2005.

You shut your whore mouth.

1) Cheeseburger is OVER, brother!
2) ROH has done in-ring interviews/promos during iPPVs before.
3) The production values are way better than they were even a year ago.

Have you watched the TV show at all?

Ithil

You can have women's wrestling and hot women at the same time.

The wresting models all fail. Have the models come in as valets or something like the Nitro Girls that do some cheerleading stuff.

How it is now is the models are generally hated and boo'd because they're not any good at wrestling and people will only get behind girls that are actually performing in the ring. Besides, if they actually have the division full of workers they can actually book matches without being afraid of exposing how fucking awful the likes of Kelly Kelly are.

But in 2014, I think people are much less into the blonde bimbo type anyways, they're much more into girl next door types like AJ, Paige, Emma or Naomi. People who are hot and passionate about what they do are far more appealing.
Meltzer was talking about this th other week, that WWE are terribly outdated in their view of what kind of looks for women get over. They still push the "bombshell model" type, but it's the more relatable, normal girls that get over now, the time of Sable types is long over. He gave the specific examples of Eva Marie and Paige. Eva Marie is obviously attractive, but no one gives a fuck about her past that, because there's nothing else there, she's devoid of charisma or personality. Paige is a pretty girl, but in a more normal way, so people connect to her easily, there's no "disconnect" of her being like a doll.

I wonder if an aspect of this creeps into the males, too, in a different way, why the clean cut Marine super face heroic hero robot Cena leaves people cold when they're not kids who like brightly coloured superheros, but Daniel Bryan forms an easy emotional connection to crowds.

Well, that and as portrayed by Total Divas, Cena might be the most boring man alive.

Alucard

Banned
Meltzer was talking about this th other week, that WWE are terribly outdated in their view of what kind of looks for women get over. They still push the "bombshell model" type, but it's the more relatable, normal girls that get over now, the time of Sable types is long over. He gave the specific examples of Eva Marie and Paige. Eva Marie is obviously attractive, but no one gives a fuck about her past that, because there's nothing else there, she's devoid of charisma or personality. Paige is a pretty girl, but in a more normal way, so people connect to her easily, there's no "disconnect" of her being like a doll.

I wonder if an aspect of this creeps into the males, too, in a different way, why the clean cut Marine super face heroic hero robot Cena leaves people cold when they're not kids who like brightly coloured superheros, but Daniel Bryan forms an easy emotional connection to crowds.

Well, that and as portrayed by Total Divas, Cena might be the most boring man alive.

I imagine him to be like Mr. Milquetoast.

caspar_milquetoast.png

strobogo

Banned
You shut your whore mouth.

1) Cheeseburger is OVER, brother!
2) ROH has done in-ring interviews/promos during iPPVs before.
3) The production values are way better than they were even a year ago.

Have you watched the TV show at all?

No. I'm watching an IPPV from mid 2013. Production values on older DVDs and the TV show look dramatically better. Isn't ROH owned by a legitimate TV company and partnered with a company that does nothing but live shows? This show has weird lighting, many shots of which you can see the lights shining directly into the camera. You can see people walking around behind the entrance curtain during entrances. All the ring ropes look bent and low rent. I don't understand how this show looks worse than stuff in the early years of the company.

Alucard

Banned
No. I'm watching an IPPV from mid 2013. Production values on older DVDs and the TV show look dramatically better. Isn't ROH owned by a legitimate TV company and partnered with a company that does nothing but live shows? This show has weird lighting, many shots of which you can see the lights shining directly into the camera. You can see people walking around behind the entrance curtain during entrances. All the ring ropes look bent and low rent. I don't understand how this show looks worse than stuff in the early years of the company.

Hmm, maybe it was an off-night? Are you watching All-Star Extravaganza from 2013? Just wondering since you mentioned The Young Bucks.

That production values have improved, but it's not at all significant - generally, Sinclair have tried to spend as little on possible on the product. I'd say it's a definite downgrade from the HDnet days, in terms of picture quality, but I think the presentation's the bigger problem - it just doesn't grab me. Also, QT Marshall is ass, but Cheeseburger's pretty over as a Mikey Whipwreck/Spike Dudley sort of character, he's still a rookie though.

DMczaf

If I don't go to the bar to watch the Rumble tomorrow, I am ordering Pizza Hut and staying home.

I'm thinking pan crust, pepperoni, and mushrooms.

Might even go hard and get some wings with it too.

strobogo

Banned
Hmm, maybe it was an off-night? Are you watching All-Star Extravaganza from 2013? Just wondering since you mentioned The Young Bucks.

Live or Let Die 2013. Young Bucks were mentioned because some of the shit I've seen on this show makes them look restrained.

Sokantish

If I don't go to the bar to watch the Rumble tomorrow, I am ordering Pizza Hut and staying home.

mushrooms are gross, go with pepperoni, green peppers, and onions

Alucard

Banned
Live or Let Die 2013. Young Bucks were mentioned because some of the shit I've seen on this show makes them look restrained.

It would be pretty wicked if ROH and Dragon Gate got together to create a super promotion. Never gonna happen, but it's a dream I have.

I dunno. I'm not really a stickler for production stuff as long as it's not god-awful. I know you get pissed about that kind of stuff though. The only thing I'll agree with is that I hate sudden camera switches on big moves. WWE and TNA still do it regularly.

strobogo

Banned
It would be pretty wicked if ROH and Dragon Gate got together to create a super promotion. Never gonna happen, but it's a dream I have.

I dunno. I'm not really a stickler for production stuff as long as it's not god-awful. I know you get pissed about that kind of stuff though. The only thing I'll agree with is that I hate sudden camera switches on big moves. WWE and TNA still do it regularly.

I don't mind low production values for indies. I just got done doing the big Memphis project and none of those shows had good production values and their shows were done in an actual TV studio. I just don't get how this show looks cheaper than stuff ROH was putting out 7 years ago.

RBH

Abxo02x.jpg

"You should get some Taco Bell instead."

I was surprised at how acceptable Frankie Kazarian v Samoa Joe was in this 2001 APW King of the Indies match. Not their best match ever, but considering at this point they only had a year or two experience it was good.

Aiii

So not worth it
So I got a Nexus 7 2013 on Thursday, and I hadn't used Google Now yet on my old Nexus 7 because it sucked the life out of the battery and shit when it just came out.

But now I do and it's feeding me all kinds of wrestling stuff, it even knows I like Bryan, Punk and AJ and feeds me news specific to them.

And it's showing me BotchedSpot and AJ fansite news too.

GOOGLE KNOWS!

It's actually pretty cool.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So I got a Nexus 7 2013 on Thursday, and I hadn't used Google Now yet on my old Nexus 7 because it sucked the life out of the battery and shit when it just came out.

But now I do and it's feeding me all kinds of wrestling stuff, it even knows I like Bryan, Punk and AJ and feeds me news specific to them.

And it's showing me BotchedSpot and AJ fansite news too.

GOOGLE KNOWS!

It's actually pretty cool.

You make those statements over on gaming-side and you'd think your Nexus 7 was Satan itself.

UberTag

The rumored Wrestlemania matches sound awful.
It's Wrestlemania. Why would you expect a decent card?
Apart from Michaels and Taker matches, Mania hasn't been good since 2010 (i.e. before the MITB ladder match was retired and they banked everything on having Dwayne back).

Nobody watches Wrestlemania expecting good matches.
You watch it for the spectacle.
You watch the shows that indie feds put out on Wrestlemania weekend for good matches.
And you watch the RAW after Wrestlemania to mark out with the hottest crowd of the year.

Aiii

So not worth it
Yeah, that's the main reason I never post on gaming side. It's impressive when you think about it, gaming side is way more jaded than WrassleGAF is at its worst.

UberTag

Meltzer was talking about this the other week, that WWE are terribly outdated in their view of what kind of looks for women get over. They still push the "bombshell model" type, but it's the more relatable, normal girls that get over now, the time of Sable types is long over.
The most over girl in sports entertainment right now is this chick.

ap-ufc-157-mixed-martial-arts-4_3.jpg

She pretties up nice enough to be on the cover of Maxim but she can legit fuck up other girls she faces in the Octagon.
Rousey vs. Tate got more over with the crowd in 20 minutes than any women's program the WWE has put together since Lita vs. Trish.

The WWE needs to find the wrestling equivalent of Ronda Rousey if they wish to give women's wrestling any legitimacy. And if they don't want to do that, they should just not have them wrestle.

The most over girl in sports entertainment right now is this chick.

ap-ufc-157-mixed-martial-arts-4_3.jpg

She pretties up nice enough to be on the cover of Maxim but she can legit fuck up other girls she faces in the Octagon.
Rousey vs. Tate got more over with the crowd in 20 minutes than any women's program the WWE has put together since Lita vs. Trish.

The WWE needs to find the wrestling equivalent of Ronda Rousey if they wish to give women's wrestling any legitimacy. And if they don't want to do that, they should just not have them wrestle.

what's the point of getting someone like Rousey if they won't let them cut Rousey-style poisonous, schizo, hate-filled promos?

Top Bottom