• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Daily Sales: 9/27/04: Tales and Emerald switch again

cvxfreak

1. (PlayStation 2 - Namco) Tales of Symphonia
2. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Pokemon Emerald
3. (PlayStation 2 - Koei) Sengoku Musou Mushouden
4. (PlayStation 2 - Genki) Kengo 3
5. (PlayStation 2 - Square Enix) Full Metal Alchemist 2
6. (PlayStation 2 - Sammy) Jissen Pachislot: Fist of the North Star
7. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brothers 2
8. (PlayStation 2 - Sega) Sakura Taisen V Episode 0
9. (PlayStation 2 - SCE) Formula One 2004
10. (PlayStation 2 - Konami) World Soccer Winning Eleven 8

Grubdog

Banned
SantaCruZer said:
uh the PS2 fans in Japan doesn't seem to care that they got this game more than a year late :)
ignorance is bliss

..wait, is that an F1 game I see? Never thought Japan would be into that, might have something to do with the Japan GP just around the corner.

Alex

Probably a fair bit more in Japan, and a fair bit less in America.

Which is probably good in the long run, since seemingly after Tales. Namco went localization crazy. Although after the last two next-gen Tales games, unless Tales Studio picks it the heck up, I'd gladly prefer they let the series rot in Japan, rather than thwarting me with Nostalgia. :p

Eric-GCA

Banned
As I said in another thread, I can't believe that the Japanese waited a year for an inferior product when all they had to do was get it on the Cube.

dog$

Hates quality gaming
efralope said:
this is an outrage
GaimeGuy said:
wtf @ tales
Eric-GCA said:
I can't believe that the Japanese waited a year for an inferior product when all they had to do was get it on the Cube.
[ img]crying purple thing[ /img]
Some people want the extra content.
Some people want both versions.
Some people don't want to break up iterations of a series across multiple platforms.
I'm (not that) surprised you people care since you all already got the game, or at least had the chance to do so.

Bebpo

Banned
dog$ said:
[ img]crying purple thing[ /img]
Some people want the extra content.
Some people want both versions.
Some people don't want to break up iterations of a series across multiple platforms.
I'm (not that) surprised you people care since you all already got the game, or at least had the chance to do so.

Or some [many] Japanese people don't feel the need to own more than one console. Thus when a game appears on another platform it's like it doesn't even exist. So when they get a port it's not crappy leftovers, but rather a new game that they've never heard of until now.

/yes I am exaggerating a tiny bit.

Grubdog said:
ignorance is bliss

..wait, is that an F1 game I see? Never thought Japan would be into that, might have something to do with the Japan GP just around the corner.

yeps.. and Sato promised to actually finish the race this time lol ..

2 Japanese teams and 1 driver is enough to get them excited about it ..

Bebpo

Banned
Jonnyram said:
No, it'll sell the same because it's the same people buying it :D

You really think people are re-buying it?

Unlike most rpg upgraded versions, PS2 ToS has very little new. Some more voices, a couple new moves, new costumes, and a couple of FMVs. None of that is really new gameplay. Add to the fact it runs crappier than the original and I don't see people rebuying it.

Heck I'm dumb enough to rebuy most games (FFX-2I, SMT3:Maniacs, etc...) but I'm not even a bit interesting in PS2 ToS and I love GC ToS to death. Maybe if they added some new dungeons or subplots into the game it would be worth a rebuy but as it stands I think most of the ToS GC owners are like me and staying away from the PS2 port.

If you figure ToDII sold ~800k+, then assume half of them bought a GC and the GC ToS, that leaves 400k+ people who only own a PS2 but enjoy the Tales of series. ToS PS2 hitting 300k first week makes it seem like these are the ones buying it.

Link316

Banned
Bebpo said:
If you figure ToDII sold ~800k+, then assume half of them bought a GC and the GC ToS, that leaves 400k+ people who only own a PS2 but enjoy the Tales of series. ToS PS2 hitting 300k first week makes it seem like these are the ones buying it.

so you're assuming that the people who bought GC ToS were just the 400K ToDII fans, which means that ToS essentially didn't sell to GC only owners, I find that a little farfetched

Bebpo

Banned
Link316 said:
so you're assuming that the people who bought GC ToS were just the 400K ToDII fans, which means that ToS essentially didn't sell to GC only owners, I find that a little farfetched

I dunno, Baten Kaitos sold like 50k. I'm inclined to believe there are almost no GC only rpg fans in Japan. I mean in Japan if you like rpgs you buy a PS2, end of story.

Though I'd guess that is true for all regions :p

Top Bottom