• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Daily Sales: 9/28/04 - Symphonia still on top

cvxfreak

1. (PlayStation 2 - Namco) Tales of Symphonia
2. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Pokemon Emerald
3. (PlayStation 2 - Genki) Kengo 3
4. (PlayStation 2 - Koei) Sengoku Musou Mushouden
5. (PlayStation 2 - Sammy) Jissen Pachislot: Fist of the North Star
6. (PlayStation 2 - Square Enix) Full Metal Alchemist 2
7. (GameBoy Advance - Nintendo) Famicom Mini: Super Mario Brothers 2
8. (PlayStation 2 - Konami) World Soccer Winning Eleven 8
9. (PlayStation 2 - Capcom) BioHazard Outbreak File 2
10. (PlayStation 2 - Sega) Sakura Taisen V Episode 0

Eric-GCA

Banned
Japanese gamers are weird.

An inferior product that could have been brought a year ago had they just brought a cheap Cube.

I guess this shows that no matter the popularity of a game, it takes more than just one to sell a system.

fennec fox

ferrets ferrets ferrets ferrets FERRETS!!!
Eric-GCA said:

An inferior product that could have been brought a year ago had they just brought a cheap Cube.

I guess this shows that no matter the popularity of a game, it takes more than just one to sell a system.
But Nintendo's for kids!

Eric-GCA

Banned
ferricide said:
wonder if they'll port over baten kaitos. =)
I was gonna reply with something like "But teh PS2 couldn't handle it!", but then considering how badly the port of ToS turned out, them Japanese peoples would probably buy BK on their PS2's even if Namco cranked it out at a shoddy 15 FPS with blurry backgrounds.

Solid

I don't think PS2 ToS looks so bad. Sure the GC version is a bit sharper but that's about it (judging from those screens we saw earlier).

And the PS2 boxart is way better then the GC one IMO.

SantaC

Deepthroat said:
I don't think PS2 ToS looks so bad. Sure the GC version is a bit sharper but that's about it (judging from those screens we saw earlier).

And the PS2 boxart is way better then the GC one IMO.

framerate is better in GC version. That's what I heard. So is this game coming to US or not? I know ToS GC is hitting europe in November.

belgurdo

Banned
You could probably just put a textfile containing the words "lol suckers" on a PS2 disk and still get at least 50,000 sales. How did Sony manage to get such a stranglehold on that country?

Solid

SantaCruZer said:
framerate is better in GC version. That's what I heard. So is this game coming to US or not? I know ToS GC is hitting europe in November.
http://psx2tech.com/talesofforum/viewtopic.php?t=81

The original GameCube version of this game plays at 60 frames per second all around, except on the world map (world map was 30 FPS). The PS2 version was downgraded to run everything at 30 FPS. Somehow this conversion isn't as smooth as it should be.

Final Fantasy X runs at 30 FPS and still manages to be smoother. My video captures of the GameCube version recorded at 30 FPS are also smoother than this port. So what happened? I don't know. Maybe the game runs at a lower framerate than officially stated?

The framerate drop especially kills the battle system for me. It feels so sluggish and annoying. In contrast, the cube version feels fast, buttery smooth, and highly enjoyable.

The drop isn't that important when you're exploring areas, but at 60 FPS it's just a nice extra touch that makes the game feel really fluid.
If you haven't played it on GC I think you'll be fine. But sure if you have acces to both versions the GC one is the one to choose unless you have the other Tales of-games for PS1 and PS2 (if there is a title for it?).

SantaC

belgurdo said:
You could probably just put a textfile containing the words "lol suckers" on a PS2 disk and still get at least 50,000 sales. How did Sony manage to get such a stranglehold on that country?

the massive RPG library available on PS and PS2?

SantaC

Deepthroat said:
If you haven't played it on GC I think you'll be fine. But sure if you have acces to both versions the GC one is the one to choose unless you have the other Tales of-games for PS1 and PS2 (if there is a title for it?).

Oh I bought the US GC version the day it came out :p

I have it, and love it.

Solid

It's out in November in Europe right? Hmm, might give it a shot... but I'm too scared to play anything non-Square developed when it comes to RPGs. Dunno if it will be worth those 40h :p

Bebpo

Banned
belgurdo said:
You could probably just put a textfile containing the words "lol suckers" on a PS2 disk and still get at least 50,000 sales.

Right and that's why your average PS2 game bombs and sells half that amount in Japan?

Big name franchises sell in Japan, that's just how it is. A crappy port of a year old GC game has already outsold games like SMT3, SH2, DDS. This just proves how strong name reputation is in the country.

AniHawk

Deepthroat said:
It's out in November in Europe right? Hmm, might give it a shot... but I'm too scared to play anything non-Square developed when it comes to RPGs. Dunno if it will be worth 40h :p

The voice acting is all around pretty good except for Kratos (Cam Clarke) and Collette (female lead and voiced by Ducky from the horrible Land Before Time sequels). The story and characters are cliche, but the game doesn't try to make it seem like either are truly extraordinary. The character interactions were great, and the battle system is awesome. If you're looking forward to anime cutscenes, you may want to cross your fingers and hope the PS2 version makes it to Europe, as there are very few in the Gamecube version.

SantaC

Deepthroat said:
It's out in November in Europe right? Hmm, might give it a shot... but I'm too scared to play anything non-Square developed when it comes to RPGs. Dunno if it will be worth those 40h :p

ToS is better than FFX-2, and possibly FFX as well. The battle system is so damn fluid and fast.

SantaC

AniHawk said:
The voice acting is all around pretty good except for Kratos (Cam Clarke) and Collette (female lead and voiced by Ducky from the horrible Land Before Time sequels). The story and characters are cliche, but the game doesn't try to make it seem like either are truly extraordinary. The character interactions were great, and the battle system is awesome. If you're looking forward to anime cutscenes, you may want to cross your fingers and hope the PS2 version makes it to Europe, as there are very few in the Gamecube version.

Kratos isn't that bad. I found Colette and Presea annoying. That's all.

Zelos and Regal are great.

SantaC

AniHawk said:

Well. it dephends I guess. ToS is the only RPG I felt it was a joy to level up. The battle system is almost half the fun. I am looking forwarf to FFXII though. Could very well be the best FF from squareE in quite some time.

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
As a rabid Nintendo fanboy... this saddens me... but as a ToS-lover, I'm just glad more people are experiencing the game.

SantaCruZer said:
ToS is better than FFX-2, and possibly FFX as well. The battle system is so damn fluid and fast.

ToS beats out all the Final Fantasys in my book :eek: :D

belgurdo said:

you should send this message to Capcom. They must be doing something wrong. VIEWTIFUL BOMB

cvxfreak

I'm anticipating that. I still think it might be #1 still on tomorrow's Media Create, but then again, it might also be #2.

Brofist

Eric-GCA said:

Exactly it's not as though those people own a GC as well, but out of fanatic loyalty waited a year to buy the PS2 version, big deal they didn't want to buy a whole system for that game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
ToS isn't too bad...

I had fun with it, but Star Ocean 3 and Shadow Hearts 2 (all which have fallen within a similar timeframe for me) are much more enjoyable to me.

Top Bottom