• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

What I would suggest, is either getting a Skype teacher (although then you have to pay). You can also do free language exchange over Skype (but that means you have to speak English for an hour). What I suggest, is finding a Japanese community involved with whatever you like (it being a video game, anime or whatever) and encourage them to use voice chatting. VoIP is pretty good for this (with Mumble, you can join random rooms and speak Japanese with strangers).

Free language exchange? That sounds interesting, is that where I speak to them in Japanese for an hour, then for an hour we speak English? I might have to look into that.
As for just hopping into a Japanese community, I feel like I'm too slow right now to be able to just hop in and be able to do anything except say "Shit I'm too slow to keep up at all". After I'm more comfortable I'll probably try that. I'm just too out of practice as it is.

Aren't there websites designed exclusively for this stuff now? I genuinely don't know, never kept up with this stuff, but surely in 2014 finding some sort of internet penpal group thing is not the hardest thing. Or, without a doubt, there are Japanese people willing to charge money for this. I don't see what talking to a bunch of foreigners in Japan will do for you. It's just not the same, no matter how good some people are. Shit, my wife has free time every day.. if you feel like setting up some sort of transaction, go ahead and pm me lol.

I actually had a penpal on my PS3 for a while! Met him through Dark Souls, and ended up explaining bits of Evangelion to him (Yes, me, explaining it to him, in Japanese.). I wasn't exactly just slinging out messages like it was nothing, but I was able to make due since reading and writing can be done at my own pace.
As far as paying for anything goes, well, I'm stuck at minimum wage for the foreseeable future. My intent is to finish my degree (Long story short, I've got one semester left, that I can't take next year due to Tuition Assistance requirements) and start applying to teach English in Japan, but until then I can't make any long term job commitments to get out of retail.
IMO talking to foreigners is way better than talking to no one, and then at least you guys will know exactly what it's like still being slow at it.
I will check into that language exchange thing, it sounds like it might be exactly what I need.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Bar High Five is fantastic. It's not the vibe appropriate for a meetup hangout, I guess, so it's fine that we couldn't fit, but definitely come have a drink here at some point if you want something classy as hell and with brilliant custom mixed drinks. The bartender is very cool and charismatic and the vibe is excellent.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Bar High Five is fantastic. It's not the vibe appropriate for a meetup hangout, I guess, so it's fine that we couldn't fit, but definitely come have a drink here at some point pif you want something classy as hell and with brilliant custom mixed drinks. The bartender is very cool and charismatic and the vibe is excellent.

The place indeed did look nice. Now that I know the loc will most def check it out one day.

How was the prices?

Free language exchange? That sounds interesting, is that where I speak to them in Japanese for an hour, then for an hour we speak English? I might have to look into that.
As for just hopping into a Japanese community, I feel like I'm too slow right now to be able to just hop in and be able to do anything except say "Shit I'm too slow to keep up at all". After I'm more comfortable I'll probably try that. I'm just too out of practice as it is.

I actually had a penpal on my PS3 for a while! Met him through Dark Souls, and ended up explaining bits of Evangelion to him (Yes, me, explaining it to him, in Japanese.). I wasn't exactly just slinging out messages like it was nothing, but I was able to make due since reading and writing can be done at my own pace.
As far as paying for anything goes, well, I'm stuck at minimum wage for the foreseeable future. My intent is to finish my degree (Long story short, I've got one semester left, that I can't take next year due to Tuition Assistance requirements) and start applying to teach English in Japan, but until then I can't make any long term job commitments to get out of retail.
IMO talking to foreigners is way better than talking to no one, and then at least you guys will know exactly what it's like still being slow at it.
I will check into that language exchange thing, it sounds like it might be exactly what I need.

Have you considered taking your last semester in Japan? It might be more doable than you think. Asking about it doesn't hurt. I wish I had.

I also knew a 18 year old who was in Japan for 1 year on a working holiday. He had lied and said he was 20 to qualify. He also had Japanese in High School and was studying for 2級 (N2 now). I guess it was a sabbatical for him.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The place indeed did look nice. Now that I know the loc will most def check it out one day.

How was the prices?

Roughly 2000 yen per drink. But they were some of the best mixed drinks I've had anywhere, and completely made to order based on preferences, with no menu. Easily worth it. Most of the people in the bar were actually bartenders who had traveled from all over the world to learn a little bit from the master there. It was a really special experience. This felt like a once in a lifetime event I was taking part of, honestly.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Also, thanks to everyone for coming out tonight. Was a lot of fun and a great way to cap off my Asia trip. Hope you enjoyed the enormous box of Pierre Herme macarons :D

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Roughly 2000 yen per drink. But they were some of the best mixed drinks I've had anywhere, and completely made to order based on preferences, with no menu. Easily worth it. Most of the people in the bar were actually bartenders who had traveled from all over the world to learn a little bit from the master there. It was a really special experience. This felt like a once in a lifetime event I was taking part of, honestly.

wow sounds very cool, will most def check it out one day. since place did indeed look classy from the quick peek I got at it.

those macarons were indeed awesome thanks for bringing them!

was a great little meet up and good times!

Just wanted to say it was super awesome all of you guys tonight! Really great company! And the macarons that Evil bought were incredible..
Hopefully you guys come to the uk for a GAF meet!

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.

And what are you studying at school?

Bar High Five is fantastic. It's not the vibe appropriate for a meetup hangout, I guess, so it's fine that we couldn't fit, but definitely come have a drink here at some point if you want something classy as hell and with brilliant custom mixed drinks. The bartender is very cool and charismatic and the vibe is excellent.

Aw man this reminds me of a place I used to go to occasionally out in the middle of nowhere Ibaraki. Lemme guess, the bartender was in a dress shirt and tie with a vest, and everyone called him master?

Hey, AlabastreAizo, is your tag for real and you're a music otaku? Because I've been trying to find new J-bands to listen to but haven't had much luck. I'm a big fan of what I guess is rock/pop such as Asian Kung-Fu Generation and Sambo Master. Also I like folky stuff like Tokumaru Shugo, which is really hard to find outside of some indies on SoundCloud. Any suggestions are welcome!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Hi JGAF!

I was talking yesterday night with the people and they want a periodic meet up! :)

What do you think a month meetup?

Or do you prefer other terms?

Hi JGAF!

I was talking yesterday night with the people and they want a periodic meet up! :)

I don't know if I'd always be available every month, but I'd definitely be up for meeting again. Weekends are best for me.
Osaka meet up not on the cards?
Where's that? In the inaka?
:p
But for real, I know there's a bunch of gaffers in Osaka that would probably be interested.

mujun

Where's that? In the inaka?
:p
But for real, I know there's a bunch of gaffers in Osaka that would probably be interested.

In some ways it feels like being in the country compared to Tokyo ;)

If EviLore is planning on hanging out with gaffers in Osaka I'll make an effort to be there.

I'd also be interested in Kansai meet up(s).

urfe

Hi JGAF!

I wouldn't be interested in meeting once a month, but I would a few times a year.

So if there is monthly meet ups, I would come every now and then. :)

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I wouldn't be interested in meeting once a month, but I would a few times a year.

So if there is monthly meet ups, I would come every now and then. :)

They key on often meet ups is for people who are not living in Japan and can't come.

itsinmyveins

Gets to pilot the crappy patrol labors
It's been nearly a year since me and my girlfriend went to japan for my 30th birthday. We were there during two weeks. I really want to go back soon. Hell, I could probably imagine living there for a little while, really. My biggest concern is that Japan seems to be way off in regards to views on women etc. Not exactly up to par on the progressive side of things.

Anyhow, we've been planning on going back the during spring maybe, but man, some days I just feel like taking a vacation right then and there and stroll around Kyoto and Tokyo for a few weeks.

Aizo

Banned
Hey, AlabastreAizo, is your tag for real and you're a music otaku? Because I've been trying to find new J-bands to listen to but haven't had much luck. I'm a big fan of what I guess is rock/pop such as Asian Kung-Fu Generation and Sambo Master. Also I like folky stuff like Tokumaru Shugo, which is really hard to find outside of some indies on SoundCloud. Any suggestions are welcome!
PM me. I'll write something up when I'm done traveling in early October.

Kurita

Swing by the Japanese music OT ;)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415699&page=87

Tell me J-GAF, how many of you did study in Japan as an exchange student?
I'm contemplating doing it next year but I have to file an application by the end of 2014.
I don't know if I'll manage to go since I'm sure a lot of people want to but hey. I'm honestly a bit nervous about it. Going to Japan for a year seems scary but I really want to do it!
So, how was your experience? I'm interested in hearing how it went.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Osaka meet up not on the cards?

Back in the States already haha. I wanted to make a lot more use of my JR Pass, and hit up Osaka among many other things, but blowing out my knee put a wrench in the gears. Next time though, we'll have that beer.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For all of you folks using Android devices, what keyboard do you use?

I've got an Xperia phone, and their built in Japanese keyboard is fine, but it is useless when it comes to typing in English as it has zero predictive functionality. It's a huge pain in the ass for me to pull down the notifications bar each time I want to switch the keyboard language.

Is there a good keyboard out there that has great functionality for both Japanese and English? I know Simeji exists, and I plan on trying it out, but was wondering if there is anything else.

mujun

Back in the States already haha. I wanted to make a lot more use of my JR Pass, and hit up Osaka among many other things, but blowing out my knee put a wrench in the gears. Next time though, we'll have that beer.

Cool man! Hope that your knee is okay. Kickboxing injury?

Whoa, I didn't know this thread existed. Subscribed. Thanks.
I'm contemplating doing it next year but I have to file an application by the end of 2014.
I don't know if I'll manage to go since I'm sure a lot of people want to but hey. I'm honestly a bit nervous about it. Going to Japan for a year seems scary but I really want to do it!
I personally didn't come as a student, but I have friends who did. They said nothing but positive things, but I met them after they came to Japan again as English teachers. Maybe the exchange students who didn't come back didn't have good experiences, but I didn't meet them :).

Swing by the Japanese music OT ;)
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=415699&page=87

I spent a year here as a university exchange student from 03-04. I got an mext scholarship from the Japanese government because they liked what I wrote in my essay I guess. It really helped with monthly expenses. My university still wasn't quite geared for an exchange program with Japanese universites so it was a bumpy ride of learning a lot of stuff on my own.

I took Japanese cultural and language courses at the international student center, took a handful of regular courses ranging from mathematics to history with native students, and did student teaching assistant work in the English department. I received credits in the courses i took in Japan although two others that came at the same time as me got partial. So your mileage may vary there.

I had a great time. If you know you can get in and also afford to add an extra year into your graduation date, go for it. It's a great opportunity to just take things in as someone not tied down by a job. Your study load probably won't be too heavy depending on how serious you are about learning. Best way to learn is to go out and make friends where possible. It's not easy but if you meet the right people you'll be golden.

I am going to be staying in Koshigaya for about 60 days starting October 15. Would be great to meet up with some of you guys out there.

I enjoyed the last two meetups, and meeting everyone so far was really cool. I am always down for more of these as good conversation and interesting people is always great.

urfe

Is it easy to get press passes to go yesterday/today?

I hate the crowds Sat/Sun, and so never really feel like going, despite it being a 12 minute train ride from where I live.

lupinko

So I'm going to a free charity concert at my work. So really the concert came to me today in some way. Lol

Says TBS is behind it, I wonder is it'll be televised.

Kurita

I spent a year here as a university exchange student from 03-04. I got an mext scholarship from the Japanese government because they liked what I wrote in my essay I guess. It really helped with monthly expenses. My university still wasn't quite geared for an exchange program with Japanese universites so it was a bumpy ride of learning a lot of stuff on my own.

I took Japanese cultural and language courses at the international student center, took a handful of regular courses ranging from mathematics to history with native students, and did student teaching assistant work in the English department. I received credits in the courses i took in Japan although two others that came at the same time as me got partial. So your mileage may vary there.

I had a great time. If you know you can get in and also afford to add an extra year into your graduation date, go for it. It's a great opportunity to just take things in as someone not tied down by a job. Your study load probably won't be too heavy depending on how serious you are about learning. Best way to learn is to go out and make friends where possible. It's not easy but if you meet the right people you'll be golden.
Thanks for the answer, appreciate it.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just got back from dinner in Roppongi, very well regarded Shabu Shabu place, not touristy, but FUCK ROPPONGI.

Seriously police, you hassle moms for blocking the sidewalk with their stroller on an empty street, but Roppongi is literally full of illegal overstayed immigrants physically manhandling tourists and being absolute raging assholes and the cops do NOTHING.

Tokyo cops are literally the most cowardly and pointless employees in Tokyo and ironically the LEAST likely to speak English (I mention this because the government actually advises you to ask a cop because they will probably know english, but they never, ever, ever do).

Almost punched a dude, tried to physically drag me into a club and I had to shove him into the street.

Ayumi

Hey guys, just a head-up:

If you use LINE, you might have heard of the infamous iTunes LINE hack. It's been going around in Japan/China and probably other Asian countries for a while, but it now seems to have become an English thing as well.

Once an account gets hacked, it will send random messages to people on the friend list, asking them to buy them iTunes card or WebMoney. If you get one of these messages from someone (even people not on your contact list), make sure you block the person and message your friend another place (if possible) to let them know. It seems obvious to ignore, but what would you do if your boss asked you this, and you didn't know about the hack? Even people with a lot of common sense can be tricked in the right setting.

7threst

I'm going to Japan for the first time in my life tomorrow! Damn, I'm so freaking excited! Though I am a little bit worried with all the social conventions. I hate being a 'rude tourist' so I try to read up on how to be courteous there.

Anyway, I'm staying there for two weeks in Tokyo together with a friend of mine. This topic has been pretty helpful so far.

Sorry for the bump, just wanted to drop this here :)

I'm going to Japan for the first time in my life tomorrow! Damn, I'm so freaking excited! Though I am a little bit worried with all the social conventions. I hate being a 'rude tourist' so I try to read up on how to be courteous there.

W/e counts as not being a dick in your country, counts over there. Follow that advice.

Ayumi

Anyway, I'm staying there for two weeks in Tokyo together with a friend of mine. This topic has been pretty helpful so far.

Sorry for the bump, just wanted to drop this here :)

Hi there!

You'll find a lot of useful links and tips in our thread dedicated to traveling to Japan:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539079

JulianImp

speaking of... anyone going tomorow or sunday?
I'm still not quite sure which day would be better. Also is it better to get there early in the morning or around noon?

The business days have had many long queues, and I've heard the public days are going to be several times worse. Arriving late probably means having to deal with how most large booths being packing up or close their lines as the 5 PM closing time approaches, but you can probably visit smaller booths or the indie area at that time since we don't have to pack up too much stuff.

7threst

W/e counts as not being a dick in your country, counts over there. Follow that advice.

Yes true! But to be fully prepared I bought a travelbook, The Rough Guide To Japan, and they really make it seem these conventions are rather strict. :)

Hi there!

You'll find a lot of useful links and tips in our thread dedicated to traveling to Japan:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=539079

Oh thanks, this will be really helpful! :)

MightyKAC

Hey guys, just a head-up:

If you use LINE, you might have heard of the infamous iTunes LINE hack. It's been going around in Japan/China and probably other Asian countries for a while, but it now seems to have become an English thing as well.

Once an account gets hacked, it will send random messages to people on the friend list, asking them to buy them iTunes card or WebMoney. If you get one of these messages from someone (even people not on your contact list), make sure you block the person and message your friend another place (if possible) to let them know. It seems obvious to ignore, but what would you do if your boss asked you this, and you didn't know about the hack? Even people with a lot of common sense can be tricked in the right setting.

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'd have never known about it otherwise.

Top Bottom