• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan GAF |OT| I'm not planning a trip; I live here!

Zornica

Banned
The business days have had many long queues, and I've heard the public days are going to be several times worse. Arriving late probably means having to deal with how most large booths being packing up or close their lines as the 5 PM closing time approaches, but you can probably visit smaller booths or the indie area at that time since we don't have to pack up too much stuff.

thanks for the heads up. I'll do my best to come by your booth tomorow, that is, if I can find it ofc.
(edit: looks like it's next to capcoms booth?)

besides Monster Hunter 4G, I'm not really interessted in any bigger games, so I should be fine crowd-wise. Although I really want to get my hands on a new 3ds, at least for a few minutes!

Ayumi

Cool, I'll try to whip something up for next year.

Went today, it was how I remembered it.
Someone (MikeHattsu) quoted me and said you can still go on business days, but you still have to pay 5000円 to get in, and also show them your ID and two business cards.

Makuhari Messe is such :effort: lol. At least I can get there by car now so it'll be less bad with crowded trains (WonFest is awesome).

Someone (MikeHattsu) quoted me and said you can still go on business days, but you still have to pay 5000円 to get in, and also show them your ID and two business cards.

Makuhari Messe is such :effort: lol. At least I can get there by car now so it'll be less bad with crowded trains (WonFest is awesome).

Hasemo is not me >_>

MightyKAC

Just got back home from a night of TGS and debauchery. Got DAYUM. That show was In. Fucking. Sane. Best TGS I've been to and this will be my 8th one so far. What really made it for me was the indie booth. Nothing says awesome like a Occulus driven, witch on a motion control broomstick, pie delivery simulator game.

We really should have a meet up there next year. It would have been great to see you guys.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
Just got back home from a night of TGS and debauchery. Got DAYUM. That show was In. Fucking. Sane. Best TGS I've been to and this will be my 8th one so far. What really made it for me was the indie booth. Nothing says awesome like a Occulus driven, witch on a motion control broomstick, pie delivery simulator game.

We really should have a meet up there next year. It would have been great to see you guys.

Kikiゲ

I saw this tourism article last night on Japan Times about Matsue: http://www.japantimes.co.jp/life/2014/09/20/travel/glimpses-lafcadio-hearns-matsue/#.VB4DMktRluZ

For all of the reasons in the article and more, I feel it's a worthwhile side trip to make. The twilight moon shining above their lake is etched in my memory as one of the most beautiful things I have ever seen. As an added bonus, you can get there via one of Japan's last overnight trains, Sunrise Izumo. It's not so expensive either as you can get a "seat" that is no more than an small empty carpeted area for you to lie down on.

Zornica

Banned
damn... 4 hour train ride + walking around for another 5 hours. My back hurts like hell but I guess it was worth it - even if I didn't get to play mh4g (or the n3ds).

also got myself a nice gyakuten saiban shirt

Trojan X

Banned

Did you go on a public day or a business day? I went on a business day and it was very quiet, but I can imagine how insane it got on a public day so perhaps it was good that I avoided it.

MightyKAC

Did you go on a public day or a business day? I went on a business day and it was very quiet, but I can imagine how insane it got on a public day so perhaps it was good that I avoided it.

Went on Saturday and the place was pretty packed.

Well all except the Xbox One booth. Which suited me just fine since that meant no lines. Got to play Evolve, Sunset Overdrive and about 3 other Xbone games with out much of a wait.

Windam

Scaley member
Figured this would be as good a place as any to ask. What's it like for a foreigner to study/live in Japan? Aside from expensive, of course. I've been thinking of doing a semester or a year abroad, and Japan is at the top of my list next to Hong Kong.

Zornica

Banned
Went on Saturday and the place was pretty packed.

Well all except the Xbox One booth. Which suited me just fine since that meant no lines. Got to play Evolve, Sunset Overdrive and about 3 other Xbone games with out much of a wait.

Really? I went yesterday and the xbox one booth seemed pretty crowded too. waiting times were as high as 110 minutes for some games. I guess I should've gone on saturday instead

Figured this would be as good a place as any to ask. What's it like for a foreigner to study/live in Japan? Aside from expensive, of course. I've been thinking of doing a semester or a year abroad, and Japan is at the top of my list next to Hong Kong.
I had an amazing year there, but it'll be different for everyone of course. I had a huge support system at school and from my homestay family so the transition was easy. Even with little Japanese in the beginning, getting around and taking care of business wasn't a problem in Osaka. There was clearly a great deal of effort made to help students adjust easily, so don't worry about the logistics and just go if you're even slightly interested. I had plenty of free time outside of class to explore and go somewhere new every weekend with friends and my homestay family. Speaking of which, if there's an option to live with a homestay family I'd say give it a shot, because my best memories there are thanks to them. Also, my first semester went by in a flash, so if you can spare the time I recommend signing up for a year. And you'd be surprised how inexpensive it is to study abroad. For me, it was no more expensive than going to school in the US; less if you're fortunate enough to receive the JASSO scholarship.

J-Man

Hey Tokyo-GAF, I have a question for you guys: what would be the best placed to look to buy a new/used PSP? I know it was discontinued at the beginning of the year, but I thought I might pick some Japan only colour PSP while on vacation here to finish off my backlog of UMDs. Thanks!

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Hey Tokyo-GAF, I have a question for you guys: what would be the best placed to look to buy a new/used PSP? I know it was discontinued at the beginning of the year, but I thought I might pick some Japan only colour PSP while on vacation here to finish off my backlog of UMDs. Thanks!
You can get used ones in any Geo/Book Off/Tsutaya which is selling games. Shouldn't really be a problem.

I got mine in Akihabara. There are a lot of used stores in a small area so it's easy to check a bunch out.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I got mine in Akihabara. There are a lot of used stores in a small area so it's easy to check a bunch out.
I think that I went to 5 or 6 used games stores when I was searching for my current PSP and in the end got the one that was the cheapest (10k yen back then).

Desmond

Opened a JPost Bank account. I opted for the debit feature for my cash card. The card turned up yesterday, but I'm not actually too sure if it's a debit card. It has a chip on it which is different from the other cash cards I've seen. Can I use this somehow to buy stuff online?

Zornica

Banned
today is a national holiday, right?
does this mean that some restaurants could be closed? or even worse, won't offer the usual lunch menu?

Aizo

Banned
My family came to see me in Japan last week, and now we're traveling. I wonder if I'll find Desmond in Kyoto (I'm there now).

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
today is a national holiday, right?
does this mean that some restaurants could be closed? or even worse, won't offer the usual lunch menu?

Most restaurants should be open due to larger crowds on holidays as people are wandering around. Not sure about lunch menus though.

Desmond

My family came to see me in Japan last week, and now we're traveling. I wonder if I'll find Desmond in Kyoto (I'm there now).
Where abouts? Meet up in Sanjo for drinks by the river tomorrow? Lol. My scholarship came through.

Got my phone but messed up the PIN and need a PUK now :(

PS where's my tag?

Aizo

Banned
My brother had me take him out around Kyoto tonight to be his translator at bars. It was interesting.

Where abouts? Meet up in Sanjo for drinks by the river tomorrow?
PM or LINE message me. Same user ID as GAF on LINE (others from the meet up, feel free to add me).

Resilient

Hey guys. For those who have learned or are learning Japanese:

I'm at the point where I want to start being able to read fluently while learning new words, without having to spend heaps of time using a dictionary. Any tips? My Hiragana reading level is at a decent speed, my Katakana is a bit slow (due to lack of practice hehe). I've learned about 250-300 Kanji at this point, I forget some more than others. I don't have anybody who I can practice speaking with either (aside from my tutor), so my speaking is quite terrible also. Any advice?

Aizo

Banned
There's actually a Japanese language thread over here. It sounds like you just need to study more. You're not really going to be reading fluently at an early stage, but I recommend finding a vocabulary study method with example sentences. Maybe check out the Core 2000 decks for the program Anki.

Hey guys. For those who have learned or are learning Japanese:

I'm at the point where I want to start being able to read fluently while learning new words, without having to spend heaps of time using a dictionary. Any tips? My Hiragana reading level is at a decent speed, my Katakana is a bit slow (due to lack of practice hehe). I've learned about 250-300 Kanji at this point, I forget some more than others. I don't have anybody who I can practice speaking with either (aside from my tutor), so my speaking is quite terrible also. Any advice?
I found the best way to learn Kanji is using Heisig, but that's like the opposite of a shortcut. It gives you an excellent foundation, though, and by the end you'll know the 2000 daily use Kanji that Japanese schoolchildren learn. You won't learn any readings though, so you might understand a sentence but not be able to read it out loud, which sounds pointless. Still, I think Heisig was the one thing that helped me the most with my Japanese.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0824831659/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you want a shortcut for learning vocab, I liked the U-CAN JLPT books. They're multiple choice quizzes with fill-in-the-blank sentences and choose the right kanji with the most important vocab for the tests. Of course you could just read normal books instead, but if you want a lot of vocab variety in one condensed place, those are good.

I tried to find them on amazon.com but no luck. Here's the N2 one I used on amazon.co.jp:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4426602963/

Resilient

There's actually a Japanese language thread over here. It sounds like you just need to study more. You're not really going to be reading fluently at an early stage, but I recommend finding a vocabulary study method with example sentences. Maybe check out the Core 2000 decks for the program Anki.

I found the best way to learn Kanji is using Heisig, but that's like the opposite of a shortcut. It gives you an excellent foundation, though, and by the end you'll know the 2000 daily use Kanji that Japanese schoolchildren learn. You won't learn any readings though, so you might understand a sentence but not be able to read it out loud, which sounds pointless. Still, I think Heisig was the one thing that helped me the most with my Japanese.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0824831659/?tag=neogaf0e-20

If you want a shortcut for learning vocab, I liked the U-CAN JLPT books. They're multiple choice quizzes with fill-in-the-blank sentences and choose the right kanji with the most important vocab for the tests. Of course you could just read normal books instead, but if you want a lot of vocab variety in one condensed place, those are good.

I tried to find them on amazon.com but no luck. Here's the N2 one I used on amazon.co.jp:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/4426602963/

Thanks heaps guys. Does Heisig have the hiragana/furigana of each Kanji so I know how to read it? I'm a a bit confused after reading the OP of the language thread.

Thanks heaps guys. Does Heisig have the hiragana/furigana of each Kanji so I know how to read it? I'm a a bit confused after reading the OP of the language thread.
Nah, it doesn't. For the longest time I avoided doing Heisig because of that. But after I finally gave in and tried it, I thought it was better that way. It turns out learning how to recognize each kanji and memorize the plethora of different readings at the same time can be a bit much for the ole brain. Chinese people that study Japanese have a natural advantage. They already know the Kanji and their meanings. All they have to learn is the readings. They tend to pick up reading quickly because of that. Heisig levels the playing field. With Heisig you learn the meaning of each kanji and the radicals that make it up, so you can recognize, understand, and write each one. Putting readings with Kanji you're already familiar with is fairly easy at that point.

Before I did Heisig, Kanji was just this impenetrable wall. After Heisig, Kanji was my strongest point and made learning readings/vocab ten times easier. I can't say enough good things about it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
My wife is Japanese but we live in the UK. One nice thing is looking forward to the 'Red Cross food parcels' her mum sends now and again. Got one yesterday with 8 multipacks of matcha kitkat (soo good), curry roux, pepperonchino mix, salad pretzel and some strange hairy stuff in a bag my kids like to eat

Resilient

Nah, it doesn't. For the longest time I avoided doing Heisig because of that. But after I finally gave in and tried it, I thought it was better that way. It turns out learning how to recognize each kanji and memorize the plethora of different readings at the same time can be a bit much for the ole brain. Chinese people that study Japanese have a natural advantage. They already know the Kanji and their meanings. All they have to learn is the readings. They tend to pick up reading quickly because of that. Heisig levels the playing field. With Heisig you learn the meaning of each kanji and the radicals that make it up, so you can recognize, understand, and write each one. Putting readings with Kanji you're already familiar with is fairly easy at that point.

Before I did Heisig, Kanji was just this impenetrable wall. After Heisig, Kanji was my strongest point and made learning readings/vocab ten times easier. I can't say enough good things about it.

Alright. You have sold me. I Just feel like my Kanji is moving too slowly at the moment. How long does it take to clear the first book?

Alright. You have sold me. I Just feel like my Kanji is moving too slowly at the moment. How long does it take to clear the first book?
It took me five months. It's pretty time consuming but worth it. Honestly, I didn't buy the book. There are resources online that use the same system but are free. A great site, by far the best Heisig site and very well put together, is http://kanji.koohii.com. I also recommend using Anki, a flash card system, if you don't already. Or you could just use koohii's built in flash card system, but I don't have experience with that. I'm sure I still have my Anki Heisig deck somewhere and could send it to you, if you want.

Gacha-pin

Where abouts? Meet up in Sanjo for drinks by the river tomorrow? Lol. My scholarship came through.

Got my phone but messed up the PIN and need a PUK now :(

PS where's my tag?

鴨川飲み会楽しそうだなあ。近くにいれば参加するのに。。。 How's the typhoon?

HO7kHmp.jpg

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
If I ever experience something disastrous I'm sure my mind will change but for now I find the little tremors comforting for some reason. Let's you know the earth is alive through a little shake.

A 5.0 and a 5.2 within an hour of each other? Is that normal? Maybe I should sleep outside tonight.

sorta normal. Quakes tend to lead into each other in terms of the next being stronger, usually aftershocks/ or ...preshock? if the following one is stronger.

But did anyone see that claim the Japanese player made during the Asia Games a few days ago. He says South Korea was interfering with the game by turning on the air conditioner full blast in his direction of the field. SK denied it of course.

The game was badminton, so who cares but if its true that's some next level trolling haha.

Ayumi

There is a documentary on Netflix (US) about 3/11 ("Megaquake: The Hour that Shook Japan"). It's very interesting but I really advice against watching it if you have a legitimate phobia of earthquakes.

Started watching it, but there was this one demonstration scene where they showed underwater how exactly an earthquake happens, and it freaked me the heck out. Two of my largest phobias together (earthquake + ocean), it was so frightening I had to turn off everything and then I felt really sick and dizzy for a while. :<

A 5.0 and a 5.2 within an hour of each other? Is that normal? Maybe I should sleep outside tonight.

<Insert Diablo III RGN joke here>

JulianImp

Wait, there was a second earthquake today a few hours ago? I don't even remember feeling anything!

I'm currently looking into the possibility of changing my tourist visa for a work visa and getting to work in a local game company, but so far my prospective employer said that I absolutely have to have an university degree or equivalent.

The thing is I've been studying for a total of sixteen years so far: 7 in primary school, 6 in high school and three in a tertiary-level institution (whose degree I'm not entirely sure of whether it fits the criteria for a university degree in Japan or not), and have nearly five years of experience at a related job; I also heard that my job experience could help me offset some of the studies-related time. Does anyone know if that is the case, and any other things I should be looking into to make sure I stand a chance at getting a work visa?

Edit: Just checked the official earthquake information site, and god damn that looks weird... how I could I even fail to notice them altogether?

Ayumi

I'm currently looking into the possibility of changing my tourist visa for a work visa and getting to work in a local game company, but so far my prospective employer said that I absolutely have to have an university degree or equivalent.

You need at least a BA (Bachelor's) in any subject to quality for a normal working visa. If you have a BA, you would know it, so I'm positive you don't. Once you have a BA, you need to find a company that will hire you and sponsor your visa.

There are many kinds of other visas, but they all require many various things.
http://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/visa/long/index.html

Here's a detailed list of what each visa requires:
http://www.juridique.jp/immigration.html

If you have a normal university degree (and papers to prove it) and speak good Japanese, you might quality for the "International Services" visa.

Top Bottom